Author Topic: Oksana Grishina  (Read 37268 times)

Alex

• Getbig IV
  • If bodybuilding was easy, everyone would be big!
Re: Oksana Grishina
« Reply #50 on: October 06, 2007, 11:58:52 AM »
 8)

Alex

• Getbig IV
« Reply #51 on: October 09, 2007, 03:07:02 AM »

fitfan007

• Getbig II
« Reply #52 on: October 09, 2007, 10:27:08 PM »
Let me break it down.  It's obvious that 75% of you that post your comments have no idea what you are talking about.

1.  I wouldn't rely so much on "what the judges say/score" since when have they ever judged anything right?  Ok maybe a couple of times out of a million

2.  Oksana's has a nice physique, nice enough to get her on the stage, but definately not up to par with the top 4 girls, she's got a little more developing to do, but I think she can get there in due time

3.  Yes her routine was expressful, unique and blah blah, blah and was so touching it made us all want to freakin cry, BUT (as a former professional dancer/choreographer) It was more of a dance preformance than a fitness routine. 

Fitness routines should include strength elements, dance, flexibility, gymnastics, creativity, but the most important element is Explosive Energy from begining to end.  Oksana had many of these elements, but the pace was wayyyy too slow, she didn't have many strength elements either so she diffinately did not deserve 1st in the 2min round. 

On a side note.....As as much as I love watching Jen Hen, all she did outside of the comical entertainment, was a bunch of toe touches and back tucks, oh and 1 press hold???  Honestly I thought Tanji's routine as far as hitting all elements was right on.

I'm curious to see what they all will bring to the Arnold!

Alex

• Getbig IV
« Reply #53 on: October 22, 2007, 12:29:34 AM »
 8)

Casanova: And what did we do that for? Lupo: I don't know.

Malibu Barbie

• Getbig II
  • Getbig!
« Reply #54 on: October 22, 2007, 04:31:34 AM »
is that best you can do?
i am objective, not bitter
and you are? well we know the answer

Wow, chill out you two!

I have to say sometimes the average fitness routine feels very frantic, fractured and choppy. This could be my own bias because I love dance (particularly ballet) which is more often structured and flowing. I have tried to educate myself as to what moves are necessary in a fitness routine and as to how the person preforms it, but sometimes that is all I am doing because most routines do not flow. I forgot to do that with Oksana's routine because it was captivating. I assumed at first that she had not done the mandatory moves until later a competitor (that she had placed higher than) assured me she had done them and had done them well.

I think there is a lot to be learned from her routine and from this very beautiful young woman. I am glad to see the level of performance heightened and expanded. I am sure it would frighten women who do not have a background in classical dance and theater to compete against those that do. It adds another layer of work and expectation to an already exhausting and expensive sport, but it is what it is. The choice in this type of situation is to rise up to the expanded expectations or create and perfect something new. Trying to force the old to stay in place in something that is entertainment based is probably not the way to go to get to the top (or at least to the IFBB).

Stiletto

• Getbig I
« Reply #55 on: October 23, 2007, 04:22:05 PM »
I was sitting near the front and saw her routine.  It blew me away.  Poetic and emotionally stirring.  Made my heart flutter!  Really, a breath of fresh air.

fitfan007

• Getbig II
« Reply #56 on: October 26, 2007, 12:34:13 PM »
First of all there are no "mandatory" movements in the 2min they can do whatever they want.  I appreciate Oskana trying to be creative, but this is a fitness show, not a ballet preformance.  Shit, if I was doing her routine as slow as she was doing it, I could have done a 10 min preformance.  And Yes I can say that no prob being a professional dancer myself.  But to do a HIGH ENERGY routine for 2 min is a whole different ball game. 

So though we all loved her preformance, it is not appropriate for the fitness stage POINT BLANK.  She can do the same thing and create dramatic emotion with a high energy routine, when she can do that, I will give her her props for being creative and different.

Wow, chill out you two!

I have to say sometimes the average fitness routine feels very frantic, fractured and choppy. This could be my own bias because I love dance (particularly ballet) which is more often structured and flowing. I have tried to educate myself as to what moves are necessary in a fitness routine and as to how the person preforms it, but sometimes that is all I am doing because most routines do not flow. I forgot to do that with Oksana's routine because it was captivating. I assumed at first that she had not done the mandatory moves until later a competitor (that she had placed higher than) assured me she had done them and had done them well.

I think there is a lot to be learned from her routine and from this very beautiful young woman. I am glad to see the level of performance heightened and expanded. I am sure it would frighten women who do not have a background in classical dance and theater to compete against those that do. It adds another layer of work and expectation to an already exhausting and expensive sport, but it is what it is. The choice in this type of situation is to rise up to the expanded expectations or create and perfect something new. Trying to force the old to stay in place in something that is entertainment based is probably not the way to go to get to the top (or at least to the IFBB).

Lift Studios

• Getbig V
  • http://www.liftstudios.com
« Reply #57 on: October 26, 2007, 02:02:58 PM »
First of all there are no "mandatory" movements in the 2min they can do whatever they want.  I appreciate Oskana trying to be creative, but this is a fitness show, not a ballet preformance.  Shit, if I was doing her routine as slow as she was doing it, I could have done a 10 min preformance.  And Yes I can say that no prob being a professional dancer myself.  But to do a HIGH ENERGY routine for 2 min is a whole different ball game. 

So though we all loved her preformance, it is not appropriate for the fitness stage POINT BLANK.  She can do the same thing and create dramatic emotion with a high energy routine, when she can do that, I will give her her props for being creative and different.
Who determines what is appropriate for a fitness stage?

"professional dancer" is that code for "adult entertainer"?

Elevate Your Image.™

Alex

• Getbig IV
« Reply #58 on: October 26, 2007, 02:35:14 PM »
 :P

Fitness Fan

• Getbig II
  • Getbig!
« Reply #59 on: October 26, 2007, 08:28:45 PM »

Well Lift, that would be the IFBB....

Here it is from rulebook -
"21.7 Finals: Procedures for Round Three and Round Four:
The procedures for Round Three and Round Four are as follows:
1. In Round Three (RD3), each competitor is announced by number, name
and country and is called onstage, in numerical order, to perform an
individual aerobic/dance routine to music of her own choice.

4. The routine should include elements of strength, flexibility, dance,
gymnastics, aerobic movements and cardiovascular endurance.
"

If her routine included cardiovascular endurance, then she's definitely "not fit".  With you there fitfan007!

Al-Gebra

• Getbig V
« Reply #60 on: October 26, 2007, 08:30:14 PM »

21.7 Finals: Procedures for Round Three and Round Four:

If her routine included cardiovascular endurance, then she's definitely "not fit".  With you there fitfan007!

MELT

DOWN!1

Fitness Fan

• Getbig II
  • Getbig!
« Reply #61 on: October 26, 2007, 08:31:34 PM »
Nope, simply putting it out there.  He asked who made up the rules. 
Seems simple enough to me.

JMentis

• Pros
  • Getbig III
« Reply #62 on: October 26, 2007, 08:47:30 PM »
I read the word "appropriate".....
JM

Fitness Fan

• Getbig II
  • Getbig!
« Reply #63 on: October 26, 2007, 09:11:55 PM »
Fair enough.  Appropriate...guess that's up to the athlete.  However, I took appropriate as what fitness is about.  Pota-toes - Po-tat-oes.

Lift Studios

• Getbig V
  • http://www.liftstudios.com
« Reply #64 on: October 26, 2007, 09:40:39 PM »
So though we all loved her preformance, it is not appropriate for the fitness stage POINT BLANK.

My, my how we contradict ourselves.

Fair enough.  Appropriate...guess that's up to the athlete.  However, I took appropriate as what fitness is about.  Pota-toes - Po-tat-oes.

Congratulations on making yourself sound like a babbling idiot.
Elevate Your Image.™

CQ

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • TGT
« Reply #65 on: October 27, 2007, 04:41:55 AM »

"21.7 Finals: Procedures for Round Three and Round Four:

"

Very few girls excel in all areas. Oksana lacks a bit in the cardio yes, but excels in all other areas. Rule #4 mentions gymnastics, many girls do no gymnastic skills at all. It also mentions dance, some girls don't dance at all, and others may dance, but it pretty much blows. Flexibilty is mentioned, all the girls have some level of flex, but some are not exactly wildly pliable. All the girls bring varied skills to the stage, which is what makes all the routines so entertaining.

Thing being Oksana in many ways has the edge. She can easily speed up her routine, but her gymnastic skills, grace, and obvious strong technical background cannot be gained so easily by someone who lacks them.

Rick Lohre

• Getbig II
« Reply #66 on: October 27, 2007, 12:11:00 PM »
Very few girls excel in all areas. Oksana lacks a bit in the cardio yes, but excels in all other areas. Rule #4 mentions gymnastics, many girls do no gymnastic skills at all. It also mentions dance, some girls don't dance at all, and others may dance, but it pretty much blows. Flexibilty is mentioned, all the girls have some level of flex, but some are not exactly wildly pliable. All the girls bring varied skills to the stage, which is what makes all the routines so entertaining.
Thing being Oksana in many ways has the edge. She can easily speed up her routine, but her gymnastic skills, grace, and obvious strong technical background cannot be gained so easily by someone who lacks them.

Agree with your statement that all girls bring different strenghts to the stage.  That is what makes this (for me) more interesting than figure.  In the end, I think the one with the most well rounded routine will fare best.  At this time there are only a few of the ladies that hit ALL areas outlined. 

About Oksana having the edge, from what I've heard from Boris, she is not performing at 100% yet due to an injury.  If she takes some time to heal that and throws in more gymnastics into her routine and speeds it up, she will definitely stand out! 

I'll be honest, I'm just wondering what she'll have up those lacy sleeves for next years routines.

Rick

fitfan007

• Getbig II
« Reply #67 on: October 27, 2007, 12:18:06 PM »

"professional dancer" is that code for "adult entertainer"?

Common Sense does....when you think of a fitness routine...what Oksana did is not what comes to mind.  Fitness is about overall conditioning and being able to display your overall fitness level by a high energy routine.  Even though it was a beautiful preformance, just not at the right venue.

hahahah about the adult entertainer comment....yeah right

fitfan007

• Getbig II
« Reply #68 on: October 27, 2007, 12:22:59 PM »

Yes very few girls can do it all....but a few did....like Adela and Tanji....so for Oksana's routine to get 1st place was ridiculous!!  All I'm saying is that it didn't deserve to score as high as it did.  Oksana has a gift of being very theatrical, would love to see that talent put into a faster paced routine.

Faster paced routines that have SMOOTH transitions are wayyy more impressive to me, than someone elegantly walking through a routine.

KGM

• Getbig II
« Reply #69 on: October 27, 2007, 12:29:59 PM »
I thought her performance at the Olympia was great, very dramatic and unique.  Definitely different but different doesn't necessarily have to mean better or worse, just different.  The quality of what she did was obviously very high.  I have also heard that she has tremendous gymnastics ability but was recovering from injury so had to modify what she presented.  If that's the case she may have some exciting performances to bring to the stage for the sport and the fans in the very near future.  She has already helped to add more interest to a sport that many were starting to get concerned about just a short year ago so it seems that she along with others have been quite good for the sport this year.

Just my two cents..

Kevin

www.Bodysport.com

Rick Lohre

• Getbig II
« Reply #70 on: October 27, 2007, 12:49:18 PM »
All I'm saying is that it didn't deserve to score as high as it did. 
Deserve to score...well in this sport, that's a pretty funny statement.  Have you EVER judged a show?  If you had said someone didn't deserve to win a race because they got a higher time, that's one thing, but saying someone didn't deserve the nod during the routine round, in this very subjective sport sounds a little well, single minded

Personally, I like the more high energy/gymnastic style routines, then again, that's my flavor - not yours.
For you to tell someone they should like vanilla, just because you like vanilla, well that's just not the way this sport works. 

KGM, I'll have to admit, she has been drawing attention...if you could get past that language barrier, it would be one heck of an interview.  I really wonder what SHE has to say about all of this LOL!

Rick

CQ

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • TGT
« Reply #71 on: October 27, 2007, 02:49:07 PM »
Agree with your statement that all girls bring different strenghts to the stage.  That is what makes this (for me) more interesting than figure. 

I am biased yes, but I do find fitness about a million times more entertaining than figure, think it has a wider appeal and hope that somehow it can be 'resurrected'. Btw, I saw Julie's routine on youtube and it was very good. I am highly envious of her gymnastic skills >:(

Yes very few girls can do it all....but a few did....like Adela and Tanji....so for Oksana's routine to get 1st place was ridiculous!!  All I'm saying is that it didn't deserve to score as high as it did.  Oksana has a gift of being very theatrical, would love to see that talent put into a faster paced routine.

To be clear I am *not* criticizing either Tanji or Adela as...well they are approximately a million times better than I will ever be, and I think they are both beyond fabulous, but unless something has changed since I last saw their routines I would not exactly say they have gymnastics skills....at least not comparable to say Kim Klein, or girls from way back like Mia, Klaudia or Kelly. Include ppl like Tracey Greenwood, and former Ms O Saryn Muldrow in the non-gymnast category too. They all have every other element down to a extremely superior level imo however. Which is my point with Oksana, her routine could use speeding up, there is no dispute there...but all other elements are of a very high standard. Who is to say which element is more vital? The girl who has them all but lacks cardio display? The girl who has them all but lacks gymnastics? The girl who has them all but can't dance? :-\

I think some may also be cultural. Americans tend to do a more upbeat type routine whereas some of us international folks tend to use a more artistic type of presentation. Different styles, one not per se better than the other...just depends on personal taste....and all the different styles from Hendershots quirky moves, Greenwoods strengh, Oksana's artistry etc...is what makes it good. A ton of performances all the same is not as appealing imo.

Alex

• Getbig IV
« Reply #72 on: October 28, 2007, 02:04:30 AM »
I read. Ridiculous discussion. A situation: Oksana - are not present: 2004, 2005, 2006... Gymnastics, jumps, acrobatics... Innovations are not present. 2007 - Oksana's occurrence. Spectators in a hall - applaud costing, discussions among functionaries, trainers, sportsmen, judges, sponsors. ADVANCE, DEVELOPMENT. Only time will resolve dispute, only the spectator, only broad masses - consumers fitness-industry will assess. Evolution.
Forgive for bad English.

Al-Gebra

• Getbig V
« Reply #73 on: October 28, 2007, 08:37:14 AM »

the last two pics of Oksana are not flattering . . .

bad profile on the first one . . .

Alex

• Getbig IV
« Reply #74 on: October 28, 2007, 09:10:15 AM »
the last two pics of Oksana are not flattering . . .

bad profile on the first one . . .

Laughter... It not professional photos. These are shootings supervision of process of photographing by the professional photographer.

http://www.billdobbins.com