Author Topic: alcohol ever once in a while  (Read 7492 times)

Brandino747

• Getbig II
  • The Story of My Life.
alcohol ever once in a while
« on: October 16, 2005, 11:08:42 AM »
hey ya'll, it's been a while since i've hit up this board.

having just turned 21, the temptation to drink is staring me right in the face.  I am typically the Designated Driver everything my friends and I go out on the town. 

I was wondering (since it is my "offseason")...would it affect my gains EXTREMELY to drink a few drinks one night...say once a month or once every two months?

I don't want to get in the habit so if Istart to pick up social drinking again it will be strictly at MOST once a month
and ocfiously no drinking when I lean out.

I need input; if I had any doubt in this effecting my gains i wouldn't even think of doing alcohol...but I know alot of people that drink like fishes and seem to be stronger then me!

240 or bust

Re: alcohol ever once in a while
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2005, 11:45:44 AM »
drink a rum and diet coke when you get there.

then dance or f**k those calories away.

being drunk is quite fun, but does slow progress.

loler

« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2005, 11:57:34 AM »
dude, get hammered if u just turned 21

Bear03

• Getbig IV
  • back in the swing of things
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2005, 01:29:02 PM »
don't worry about it, just don't make a habit of it.
:-)

Brandino747

• Getbig II
  • The Story of My Life.
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2005, 02:32:33 PM »
ya im thinking of I take alot of water/creatine and some vitamins before bed it won't hurt that bad.

it's the natural test level im worried about

chain_gang_member

• Getbig II
  • Getbig!
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2005, 02:37:53 PM »
drink water after every drink
and eat some proteins as u get home
dont 4get  vit  C and liv 52 after the meal

24KT

• Getbig V
  • Gold Savings Account Rep +1 (310) 409-2244
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2005, 02:58:02 PM »
Hey Brandino,

Congratulations!!!!! You're now legal in all states and provinces. WooHoo!!!  :D

Being able to order a drink without worrying someone is going to card you can be fun, go ahead and order those first few, ...enjoy the rush, then get it out of your system.

Alcohol really is a poison tho, ...and you're really far better off without it.

If you're anything like me, the desire to drink alcohol will quickly fade, especially if you have to drive.  I always limited myself to 2 drinks, ...but I would be sooo darned paranoid that the alcohol could have an effect on my ability to focus behind the wheel. The paranoia just took the fun out of it. It got to the point, when whenever I went out, ...the only time I could really enjoy myself, was if I stuck to non-alcoholic beverages.

If you're gonna drink something, make it red wine. The anthocyanins in red wine will be beneficial to you,
...but if you can stay dry, so-to-speak, you're really better off.

Hope That Helps,
w

Rimbaud

• Getbig V
  • There can be only one.
« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2005, 11:14:06 PM »
A few drinks here & there won't kill you. I always try to stick with dark beers (but I've been known to down PBR from time to time).

Brandino747

• Getbig II
  • The Story of My Life.
« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2005, 04:53:43 PM »
Hey Brandino,

Congratulations!!!!! You're now legal in all states and provinces. WooHoo!!!  :D

Being able to order a drink without worrying someone is going to card you can be fun, go ahead and order those first few, ...enjoy the rush, then get it out of your system.

Alcohol really is a poison tho, ...and you're really far better off without it.

If you're anything like me, the desire to drink alcohol will quickly fade, especially if you have to drive.  I always limited myself to 2 drinks, ...but I would be sooo darned paranoid that the alcohol could have an effect on my ability to focus behind the wheel. The paranoia just took the fun out of it. It got to the point, when whenever I went out, ...the only time I could really enjoy myself, was if I stuck to non-alcoholic beverages.

If you're gonna drink something, make it red wine. The anthocyanins in red wine will be beneficial to you,
...but if you can stay dry, so-to-speak, you're really better off.

Hope That Helps,

thanks for taking the time and sharing your imput...sounds like red wine might be great?  and in what way anthocyanins benefit you? is it your heart?

250Ben250

• Getbig III
  • skinman approved.
« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2005, 09:13:19 PM »
Yep, especially from red wine. Its a catch 22 though, the sugar alcohol content of wine can have a more significant impact on BF levels than a couple shots of vodka or whatever. Red wine's great for 1 or 2, but if you're going out with the purpose of getting proper f*cked, then stick to a small amount of concentrated liquor - shots. Then follow the above advice regarding vit. C, protein, water, etc...

For me it was always the food that came along with the after-hours drinking, especially in college. Its not like I ever wake up in the middle of the night when I'm sober and say - hey, I think I'll go eat my bodyweight in tortillas and queso at Taco Cabana.  ;D  Make it a point to stick to the diet and prepare your damage control supps. ahead of time.

Brandino747

• Getbig II
  • The Story of My Life.
« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2005, 04:54:54 PM »
sweet thanks brotha

24KT

• Getbig V
  • Gold Savings Account Rep +1 (310) 409-2244
« Reply #11 on: October 18, 2005, 04:55:29 PM »
thanks for taking the time and sharing your imput...sounds like red wine might be great?  and in what way anthocyanins benefit you? is it your heart?

Don't mention it. I'm happy to do it.  :)

Yes. Anthocyanins are a very potent class of anti-oxidants that neutralize free radicals. Anthocyanins and proanthocyanidins can be found in darkly pigmented fruits like blueberries, blackberries, cranberries, grapes and acai berries. They are what gives them their colour. Some of these anthocyanins actually make it through the fermentation process, and while not as numerous as can be found in fresh organic fruits, ...is part of the reason why we don't see as high an incidence of cardiovascular disease in countries like France, despite that populations tendency to over-indulge in creams, pastries, butter and smoke cigarettes like chimneys. Because they consume alot of red wine, relative to white, and most often with every meal, they are able to mitigate the damage they do to themselves because of the protective properties of anthocyanins and proanthocyanidins. The Mediterranean diet's predominant use of olive oil (as opposed to the corn oil that we use here in North America) as well as garlic also imparts protective health benefits as well. So while we can see some limited anti-oxidant properties from red wine, we'd get better results from drinking fruit juice, than from drinking wine.

Hope That Helps,
w

SLYY

• Getbig IV
  • A mug only your mom could love...
« Reply #12 on: October 18, 2005, 05:01:11 PM »
????  guys chill out.  If u are competing and about to do a show-dont drink.  If not, a few drinks will not hurt you.  I assume you drink around a gallon of water a day normally, so continue that.  IT IS OK TO HAVE A FEW DRINKS ONCE IN A WHILE! 

Tkeeze

• Getbig II
  • 281-330-8004
« Reply #13 on: October 18, 2005, 05:30:50 PM »
Great advice from everyone.  I've laid off the Sizurp for 4 weeks and love the gains and everything but now I have a party to go to this Friday and plan on havin a couple of beers.  Which is the best way to go, some light beer or straight up liquor??? Can' t do the wine.

T

Ledd

• Getbig III
« Reply #14 on: October 18, 2005, 06:11:59 PM »
When I drink (once a month) I have probably a six pack or a couple more.  I drink Bud Light, then when I get home I drink a few large glasses of water before bed.  When I wake up I feel a little woozy but by that afternoon I feel great and the next time I lift I actually feel stronger.

Forseti

« Reply #15 on: October 18, 2005, 09:18:42 PM »
"If you're gonna drink something, make it red wine. The anthocyanins in red wine will be beneficial to you, "

Yea cuz you won't look like a douchebag drinking red wine. lol...

To answer the question, you shouldn't deprive yourself of life's pleasures for bodybuilding.  There are more important things (like being happy).  Drink, eat junk food,  at times when you really want to which shouldn't be that frequently.

Cavalier22

• Getbig IV
  • Citizens! The Fatherland is in Danger
« Reply #16 on: October 18, 2005, 10:19:13 PM »
you are young bro. have some drinks with your buddies, go to the bar/party, be social as shit, have the balls to talk to some hottie you mite not otherwise, have anonymous sex.  dont sacrifice your prime time to party unless you are seriously thinking about competing, which in taht case you may want to rethink your life anyway.
Valhalla awaits.

Ledd

• Getbig III
« Reply #17 on: October 19, 2005, 04:34:52 AM »
"If you're gonna drink something, make it red wine. The anthocyanins in red wine will be beneficial to you, "

Yea cuz you won't look like a douchebag drinking red wine. lol...

To answer the question, you shouldn't deprive yourself of life's pleasures for bodybuilding.  There are more important things (like being happy).  Drink, eat junk food,  at times when you really want to which shouldn't be that frequently.

Yes exactly!  I tell you what, try it go out and have a few drinks and if you dont like it then dont do it anymore.  I have known plenty of people who tried alchohol and just dont like the tipsy feel....and thats OK!  If you find you do like to drink then make it an every so often type thing.

I mean I'm no Doc but I think I can say that alchohol, while it has a lot of destructive potential, is not going to run through your system ravashing and eating away at your muscle upon occasional ingestion.  Bottom line is you need to discover whats right for you.

davie

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #18 on: October 20, 2005, 02:55:45 AM »
Hey bro i play rugby every saturday, and its a very social sport i.e. all teh guys (sometimes opposing teams together), go out for drinks together afterwards.
This can b very messy if ur travelling bak from a game on a bus trip. I try to keep the alcohol down but it can be hard.
So i usually have a few drinks each sat night. I do however bust my ass 3 times a week in the gym + rugbytraining on a tuesday and thursday and then game on sat, so sometimes i think 'im only human and i deserve to unwind with the boys'

But as i get more and more serious im deciding to cut back more and more each week.

Gotta find the balance between getting consistent bodybuilding results and being 'human' and having fun u know.

davie

P.S. i was 21 last may, i know what ur on about, i suggest a party week or month (may was a big one for me) but after that u go bak to normal.

davie
It isn't the mountains ah

MassRuhlz

• Getbig II
  • Mass Ruhlz
« Reply #19 on: October 20, 2005, 05:02:27 PM »
Ok...."hey guys, I got the next round...waitress, 3 bud-lights and I'll have a  red wine.........homo!!

Gary

• Getbig III
  • Getbig!
« Reply #20 on: October 21, 2005, 05:11:12 AM »
sounds like red wine might be great?

I'm picturing a guy sitting drinking a nice glass of a fine red wine with his little pinky extended all so proper like and then I'm picturing a guy getting his psyche on, blowin' a little snot thru one nostril, chalk dust flyin' all over the gym getting ready to go for a personal best in the deadlift and I can't quite merge the visions into a the same individual.  Just me I guess. 

I did 22 years in the Army, some as a Drill Sergeant and some as an officer, and we partied a lot, sometimes all night long and still trained and/or ran PT in the morn.  Have some fun while you're young for God sake.