Author Topic: Poll: Most Americans see lingering racism -- in others  (Read 8609 times)

legbreaker

• Getbig IV
Re: Poll: Most Americans see lingering racism -- in others
« Reply #25 on: December 14, 2006, 12:13:27 PM »
perception is reality and also the reason a guy like Al Sharten should not be allowed to begin any demostrations.  For instance, currently there is a case in Nyc that involves a car of 5 black men getting shot 50 times and killing one by the cops.  The fact that Al Sharpten is leaving out during his tirades is that 2 of the 4 shooting offices are BLACK and the 1 cop out of it was in the patrol car and female. After the Tawana Brawley case years back that guy should not even be accepted by the respectable people in the black communities.  Because "perception is reality" and sharpton is a perfect example of how to use that to his advantage.    

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
« Reply #26 on: December 14, 2006, 12:15:29 PM »
Why?
That is the culture I grew up in before it became all about "the  bitches,the bricks, the benjis, gangbanging, "etc
You would go to a neighborhood park where a DJ plugged his equipment into a streetlight outlet...two turntables and a microphone.  People would show up dance, laugh and have a great time.

Believe it or not, there are still groups out there that aren't all about that.
Wycleff jean  and Dwele are two artists that come to mind.

Hip hop culture is a genre where people who had nothing turned it into something and made the world stand up and take notice.
I don't agree with all of it, but there is good and bad in everything.

Sandra

I see your point.  The old school rap and R & B, for example, were good.  Kurtis Blow was good.  The Fat Boys.  Run DMC.  They preceded the current money/drug/misogynist themes that permeate the modern hip hop music.  They've gone from rapping about basketball and talking too much, to sex, money, and abuse of women.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #27 on: December 14, 2006, 12:17:32 PM »
Im reading this getting mad as hell. There is a phrase (im not sure where we got it from) "perception is reality" . I went to an ALL black College, MOREHOUSE. 3000 Black men. No one talked like that baffonary you see on the flava flav show. But dignified blacks are not what you wanna see when you turn on the tv. Because dignity was the last thing that was light blacks were to be shown in. Shit like "birth of a nation" "amos and andy" cemented americas view of blacks and what there place was. Now there are many dignified blacks but not many on TV. And the TV is what shapes americans minds (blacks and whites) oh what blacks should be like. Just my opinion. Could be wrong.

The media plays a HUGE role.  When social issues arise that involve race you will see a member of the hip hop culture sitting on a panel, but not a Morehouse student.  The media plays the race card on a regular basis. 

Option D

• Getbig V
  • Kelly the Con Way
« Reply #28 on: December 14, 2006, 12:21:51 PM »
I see your point.  The old school rap and R & B, for example, were good.  Kurtis Blow was good.  The Fat Boys.  Run DMC.  They preceded the current money/drug/misogynist themes that permeate the modern hip hop music.  They've gone from rapping about basketball and talking too much, to sex, money, and abuse of women.
Exactly..I hate rap today. I listen to wu-tang and rakim. This crap is awful. Some people should have never been granted the ability to speak. But i dont know who to blame. Im black and i hate this crap but i was raised to frown on that crap. Some were raised to get it by any means necessary. You feel me. Like thats all they know and they cant see how much they are effecting. Its the same with KKK children. If this is what they have been taught and its all they know then you cant blame them.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #29 on: December 14, 2006, 12:28:04 PM »
Exactly..I hate rap today. I listen to wu-tang and rakim. This crap is awful. Some people should have never been granted the ability to speak. But i dont know who to blame. Im black and i hate this crap but i was raised to frown on that crap. Some were raised to get it by any means necessary. You feel me. Like thats all they know and they cant see how much they are effecting. Its the same with KKK children. If this is what they have been taught and its all they know then you cant blame them.

I agree.  I cannot listen to that stuff either. 

Big Mal have you seen the Eyes on the Prize documentary?  If not, I highly recommend it.  It's a history of the Civil Rights Movement.  Very well done.  One of the profound things from that series is how articulate young blacks were in the 60s and 70s.  They still are, but they're not the ones in front of the microphone often enough.  Half the time the media will run to an athlete who cannot put two complete sentences together before they will talk to an educated minority.   

Option D

• Getbig V
  • Kelly the Con Way
« Reply #30 on: December 14, 2006, 12:34:12 PM »
right. Like Mike Tyson was a good fighter but he had no reason to talk on a mic. BEcause he is representing more than himself. Because of people like him i have to work extra hard to present our race as more than aspiring rappers, athletes or drug dealers.

OneBigMan

« Reply #31 on: December 14, 2006, 02:20:19 PM »
Nobody should care about racism as a serious issue anymore because much of the media love to report on it and go on and on about what racism is and how bad it looks or how justified it might be. If anyone wants to say that racism is OK when they are violent perpetrators or even become real killers, then be honest about that and don't pretend to say that violent racism is incorrect,

I wasn't surprised to see the "hollywood act" that was on cnn the last two nights talking about racism in such a recycled way as usual.

TrapsMcLats

• Getbig IV
  • Lift Heavy. Lift Hard.
« Reply #32 on: December 14, 2006, 03:04:30 PM »
Im reading this getting mad as hell. There is a phrase (im not sure where we got it from) "perception is reality" . I went to an ALL black College, MOREHOUSE. 3000 Black men. No one talked like that baffonary you see on the flava flav show. But dignified blacks are not what you wanna see when you turn on the tv. Because dignity was the last thing that was light blacks were to be shown in. Shit like "birth of a nation" "amos and andy" cemented americas view of blacks and what there place was. Now there are many dignified blacks but not many on TV. And the TV is what shapes americans minds (blacks and whites) oh what blacks should be like. Just my opinion. Could be wrong.

The problem is also the fact that there is a large division within the african american community.  Your views could be labeled as elitism.  I know many blacks out there would say that your views are only because you "got a chance" to go to college, go to school or receive education at a higher level at all.  You can't have  half of one group of people telling the truth about the problems only to have the other half saying that their respective views are wrong due to socio-economic status.  The problem needs to be solved from the inside out, not the outside in.  And i think you are wrong when saying that black people acting stupid is what we want/ expect to see on TV.  I respect and LOOK FORWARD to watching Steven A. Smith, Michael Wilbon, Colin Powel, Condi Rice (poor gal), Barak Obama, Dennis Richmond, Al Sharpton (he owned everyone at the presidential candidate roundtable back in '04)... and the list goes on. I know i never want to turn on the TV and see stuff like flava flav (effects of crack anyone??) or Joey Porters misogynistic rant (http://boston-college-football.aolsportsblog.com/2006/12/08/you-cant-say-that-joey-porter/) because A) its not good for the public perception of african americans/blacks, and B) it perpetuates the stereotype(s) that you and I have referenced.  Joey Porter could have kept his mouth shut, but he instead had to put his "manhood" out there for all to see, to let everyone know how tough he was, and what did he do exactly?? Well, he made himself look like a jackass, and now there are dumbass rednecks in arkansas saying, "ya see, ya see ya see!!  born a n****r, dies a n****r!  money don't change a thing!"  And here's another aspect of this.  There are members amongst the black community who probably think he's a badass for putting his "mind" out there, and yet they're talking about him and not the understated, yet best player in the league, Ladanian Tomlinson.  DO we see a problem here???

OneBigMan

« Reply #33 on: December 14, 2006, 03:31:48 PM »
One point about all this is that a example such as Reverend Jesse should be used to expose and embarass him since happy Jesse is one out of the many race hustlers like Howard Stern and others on the opposite end of the color spectrum such as the rabble-rouser rappers and black entertainers like Jimi blackFoxx who use the topic concerning "the R-word" for their good comedy.

Option D

• Getbig V
  • Kelly the Con Way
« Reply #34 on: December 14, 2006, 03:33:05 PM »
The problem is also the fact that there is a large division within the african american community.  Your views could be labeled as elitism.  I know many blacks out there would say that your views are only because you "got a chance" to go to college, go to school or receive education at a higher level at all.  You can't have  half of one group of people telling the truth about the problems only to have the other half saying that their respective views are wrong due to socio-economic status.  The problem needs to be solved from the inside out, not the outside in.  And i think you are wrong when saying that black people acting stupid is what we want/ expect to see on TV.  I respect and LOOK FORWARD to watching Steven A. Smith, Michael Wilbon, Colin Powel, Condi Rice (poor gal), Barak Obama, Dennis Richmond, Al Sharpton (he owned everyone at the presidential candidate roundtable back in '04)... and the list goes on. I know i never want to turn on the TV and see stuff like flava flav (effects of crack anyone??) or Joey Porters misogynistic rant (http://boston-college-football.aolsportsblog.com/2006/12/08/you-cant-say-that-joey-porter/) because A) its not good for the public perception of african americans/blacks, and B) it perpetuates the stereotype(s) that you and I have referenced.  Joey Porter could have kept his mouth shut, but he instead had to put his "manhood" out there for all to see, to let everyone know how tough he was, and what did he do exactly?? Well, he made himself look like a jackass, and now there are dumbass rednecks in arkansas saying, "ya see, ya see ya see!!  born a n****r, dies a n****r!  money don't change a thing!"  And here's another aspect of this.  There are members amongst the black community who probably think he's a badass for putting his "mind" out there, and yet they're talking about him and not the understated, yet best player in the league, Ladanian Tomlinson.  DO we see a problem here???

I can all the way dig what you are saying. I did want to clarify the fact that yes i went to college but i had the same chances that most blacks have. Im from south central los anges (78th and normandie 1 block from where the LA riots started) i went to public school my whole life. My high school was probably the worst in Los Angeles (washington high). I wasnt given any extra anything. I just wanted to clear that up

I do agree it is a problem that needs to be solved from the inside out. Thats what scares me the most.

The reason i say the general public wants to see baffonary is because of the demand for it. sponsors make it popular for fools like flave to be on tv...let me get this straight....chuck D has an hour radio heard by virtually no one (air america) but Flave gets a national T.V show. Dude are you serious.

TrapsMcLats

• Getbig IV
  • Lift Heavy. Lift Hard.
« Reply #35 on: December 14, 2006, 04:44:21 PM »
I can all the way dig what you are saying. I did want to clarify the fact that yes i went to college but i had the same chances that most blacks have. Im from south central los anges (78th and normandie 1 block from where the LA riots started) i went to public school my whole life. My high school was probably the worst in Los Angeles (washington high). I wasnt given any extra anything. I just wanted to clear that up

I do agree it is a problem that needs to be solved from the inside out. Thats what scares me the most.

The reason i say the general public wants to see baffonary is because of the demand for it. sponsors make it popular for fools like flave to be on tv...let me get this straight....chuck D has an hour radio heard by virtually no one (air america) but Flave gets a national T.V show. Dude are you serious.

well, here is another big issue you have brought up.  You say you came from the dreggs of society and the worst of its public school system.  yet somehow, you made it.  I commend you for this.  my girlfriend came from ghetto santa ana (her neighbors ate cats and her windows were shot out on more than one occasion), went to horrible schools and ended up with a degree in psychology and two minors from UCSD (top 5 psych school is the nation btw).  She watched reverse gentrification in her neighborhood as every white family moved out on her block leaving her family the lone white one amongst entirely mexicans.  she saw the school system continually decline, along with property values.  her family had no money, she was the youngest of 8.  But she made the system work for her.  Sure, she has boatloads of school debt, but she still has the earning power (aka "a degree") to pay it off.  I am assuming you are or were in a similar situation.  Now, many WHITE and black liberal leaders will say that you or her are an "abberation" or a lone example of how one can succeed, but that for the most part its impossible.  this leads me to believe that the political leaders have lost faith in most minorities abilities to learn at all.  i went to a "presitigious" public high school in norcal.  the teachers were crap, really really crap.  it was all hype. the parents did homework for the spoiled kids, and the kids that weren;t spoiled and had to learn stuff had to read the texts and teach themselves, cuz teachers, no matter where you go, are crappy.  Occasionaly you'll get a good one, but not consistently.  Why this doesn't happen more in and amongst black schools is beyond me.  You did it, why can't others???  I have no answers for this, because i KNOW that black people are just as smart as white people or asians or mexicans or indians or whatever.  I would like to hear your views on this. 

Problems i see on a consistent basis amongst the black community:

Fiscal irresponsibility amongst the black community: rims, bling, grills, tvs in the car... why does all wealth have to be shown?? studies show that black people spend more frivolous money than any other minority, yet make the least amount of money.  whats up with this????

Parental irresponsibility:  how many kids don't have a daddy??

Scholastic irresponsibility:  at what point in a childhood is the message sent that school is not the be all end all that it is.  It may not be direct, but its being sent out by parents or adults who talk around the kids.

Machismo:  The brawn behind the bling.  the constant "i'll show you" attitude that leads to almost everything stupid done in the black community.  If you get "owned" in south central,  you retaliate by shooting.   why are pride and hubris so important and detrimental to the black community in particular?? why can't people just walk away? is it the thinking that "if you don't have anything else, you have to stand up for yourself at all costs, regardless of the potential detriment to one's future self?"

Now i know that this sounds a bit inflammatory, and it is, but its intended to be provocative for discussion.  I have done research papers on this for school and was on many occasions labeled "potentially racist" for asking the questions that needed to be asked.  and who came to my defense??  the black students in my class. i found that quite telling. 

haha, by the way, my very white brother used to play in a gospel band (he played keys) around the area you grew up in.  He took me to his buddies house and while we waited on the porch we were getting mugged at by people left and right.  Once his buddy answered the door he yelled at them that we were cool musicians and to "get back to getting high and wasting your time!"  it was funny.  my brother also played at a church and afterwards all the little kids were staring at him cuz they'd never seen a white person "so close."  True stuff man.

TrapsMcLats

• Getbig IV
  • Lift Heavy. Lift Hard.
« Reply #37 on: December 16, 2006, 10:25:45 PM »
bump