Author Topic: Pentagon wants $99.7B more for wars  (Read 2480 times)

AlliedPowers

• Getbig II
Pentagon wants $99.7B more for wars
« on: December 20, 2006, 06:05:57 PM »
Andrew Taylor
Associated Press
Tuesday, December 20, 2006

WASHINGTON - The Pentagon wants the White House to seek an additional $99.7 billion to fund the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan, according to information provided to The Associated Press.

The military's request, if embraced by President Bush and approved by Congress, would boost this year's budget for those wars to about $170 billion.

Military planners assembled the proposal at a time when Bush is developing new strategies for Iraq, such as sending thousands of more U.S. troops there, although it was put together before the president said the troop surge was under consideration.

Overall, the war in Iraq has cost about $350 billion. Combined with the conflict in Afghanistan and operations against terrorism elsewhere, the cost has topped $500 billion, according to the nonpartisan Congressional Research Service.

The additional funds, if approved, would push this year's cost of the war in Iraq to about $50 billion over last year's record. In September, Congress approved an initial $70 billion for the current budget year, which began Oct. 1.

A description of the Pentagon request was provided by a person familiar with the proposal who asked for anonymity because the person was not authorized to release the information.

The cost of the war has risen dramatically as the security situation has deteriorated and more equipment is destroyed or worn out in harsh conditions. The Army, which has borne the brunt of the fighting, would receive about half of the request, a reflection of the wear and tear that the war has had on soldiers and their equipment.

An additional $9.8 billion is being sought for training and equipping Iraq's and Afghanistan's security forces.

The administration's request for more Iraq money will be submitted along with Bush's budget in February for the 2008 budget year, which starts next Oct. 1. The White House can add or subtract from the Pentagon request as it sees fit, and the total could grow if money is added for reconstruction costs.

In a memo several weeks ago, Deputy Defense Secretary Gordon England encouraged the services to include in their budget requests projects connected to the broader fight against terrorism, as opposed to costs strictly limited to Iraq and Afghanistan. Critics have said that could be interpreted to cover almost anything.

Earlier requests submitted by service branches to Pentagon brass were considerably higher, but were trimmed back after meeting resistance at the White House and from key lawmakers.

The budget request includes:

_$41.5 billion to cover the costs of ongoing military operations.

_$26.7 billion for replacing and repairing equipment damaged or destroyed in Iraq and Afghanistan.

_$10 billion for body armor and other equipment to protect U.S. troops from attack.

_$2.5 billion to combat roadside bombs and other improvised explosive devices.

_$2.7 billion for intelligence activities.

Whatever request emerges from the Bush administration will go to a new Congress controlled by Democrats highly critical of the Iraq war and Bush's handling of it.

headhuntersix

• Getbig V
  • Our forefathers would be shooting by now
Re: Pentagon wants $99.7B more for wars
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2006, 09:34:36 PM »
We need to cut all the BS social programs and help defend the country. The military is over extended and will need to be rebuilt. We have to do something about the borders and we have to bolster the border patrol. The American people need to feel like thier at war so we can win and end this crap.
L

headhuntersix

• Getbig V
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2006, 09:40:31 PM »
240...if u believ anybody cares ur crazy..u care ur on here..anybody who responds to this post cares etc. Look bro this is the most frustrating thing about this whole thing to me. I look at this war as the most important since WW2. The American people feel no pain except at the pump occasionally. If the economy tanked, they'd feel it but who has had to sacrifice a damm thing so we could win this war..only those in the military and their families. The American military is at war..not the American people.
L

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2006, 09:50:57 PM »

_$10 billion for body armor and other equipment to protect U.S. troops from attack.

_$2.5 billion to combat roadside bombs and other improvised explosive devices.

_$2.7 billion for intelligence activities.

Well it's about friggin time.   >:(

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2006, 09:52:15 PM »
only those in the military and their families.

and friends and supporters. 

headhuntersix

• Getbig V
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2006, 09:57:35 PM »
Yeah the extended family guys lik u etc. But We're a small group compared to the larger population. Last weekend we watched "My Super Sweet 16" on our satelite TV.  The look on my soldiers faces was pricelless... 500 grand  for a friggn party. i thought my guys might go burn a village. Its shit like that, which really pisses us off.
L

headhuntersix

• Getbig V
« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2006, 10:02:37 PM »
Case in point, I'm watching Fox News its 1038 in the morning. They just did a major news alert..Miss Teen USA is being dropped by MADD for under age drinking. Some kid in Tikrit is taking fire from a POS rag and thats news...who friggen cares. Apparently someone does... ::)
L

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2006, 10:06:23 PM »
I hear you man.  The other day I was complaining about sitting in traffic (which I absolutely HATE) and my friend called me from Iraq right at that moment.  I felt stupid.  He has to worry about getting blown to kingdom come whenever he rides in a vehicle, while I'm crying about too many cars on the road.  :-\

headhuntersix

• Getbig V
« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2006, 10:09:35 PM »
Hey Beach..how's the weather dick :P. Merry christmas to u and ur family
L

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2006, 10:15:26 PM »
Hey Beach..how's the weather dick :P. Merry christmas to u and ur family

lol.   ;D  Since you asked . . . It's a frosty 75 right now.  After 8 p.m.  Five day forecast:  81, 81, 82, 82, 81.   ;D

Did you get pinned yet?  Merry Christmas.  Be safe.  My family is praying for all of you guys.  And God listens to my kids.   :) 

headhuntersix

• Getbig V
« Reply #10 on: December 20, 2006, 10:21:45 PM »
1 Jan bro thanks for asking. Actually officially 2 Jan my boss was worried about getting blown up on the way up here from Kabul. Selfish bastard  :P. Nice weather...we've had rain for a few days and eveything turns to mud. We have 56 days and everybody is pissing me off. Time to go. We get two days off for Christmas.
L

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #11 on: December 20, 2006, 11:46:37 PM »
1 Jan bro thanks for asking. Actually officially 2 Jan my boss was worried about getting blown up on the way up here from Kabul. Selfish bastard  :P. Nice weather...we've had rain for a few days and eveything turns to mud. We have 56 days and everybody is pissing me off. Time to go. We get two days off for Christmas.

Congrats Major Headhunter.  Props and a salute to you. 

Camel Jockey

• Getbig V
  • Mel Gibson and Bob Sly World Domination
« Reply #12 on: December 21, 2006, 10:34:37 AM »
Yeah the extended family guys lik u etc. But We're a small group compared to the larger population. Last weekend we watched "My Super Sweet 16" on our satelite TV.  The look on my soldiers faces was pricelless... 500 grand  for a friggn party. i thought my guys might go burn a village. Its shit like that, which really pisses us off.

Man, those rich girls on MTV piss me off too.  >:(

Anyways, why should I and every other American have to pay for some meaningless war that isn't doing jack shit when it comes to making America safer? Come on, bro, we need to be hunting down Bin Laden and trying to cut off terrorist finances and wasting time and money on Iraq when that place clearly has nothing to do with us and our well being.

headhuntersix

• Getbig V
« Reply #13 on: December 21, 2006, 09:00:34 PM »
If you were hurting financially or having to give something up then people would force a pull out or demand that we win and then pull out. We are fighting this war very politically.. as a result more Iraqi's die, more of my brothers die..and people like u continue to be pissed off. We need to shit or get off the pot.
L