Author Topic: Should we go back to the moon? Or shoot for Mars or  (Read 1652 times)

tonyboloni

• Getbig II
  • Leave the gun--take the cannolis
Should we go back to the moon? Or shoot for Mars or
« on: February 20, 2007, 07:59:41 AM »
should we be spending the money on Earth and forget developing space?  Your tax dollars, were should they go?  To set up ways for the corporations to exploit space or on the little guys back here or does developing space help everyone?
Edward Bernays is a Demon

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
Re: Should we go back to the moon? Or shoot for Mars or
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2007, 08:02:40 AM »
Bush just asked for what, 14 bil, to get us back to the moon by 2020?

someone refresh us on the numbers.

tonyboloni

• Getbig II
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2007, 08:11:04 AM »
Bush just asked for what, 14 bil, to get us back to the moon by 2020?

someone refresh us on the numbers.
I heard it's one billion.  I doubt something that takes till 2020 will cost only one billion.  they spend that much how fast in Iraq?

G o a t b o y

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
  • Time-Out in Dubai, India with Swampi the Cocksmith
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2007, 08:11:55 AM »
Aside from 240's conspiracy theories on whether the 60's space program was a hoax or not, YES, we should be exploring/researching/developing space.  In the long term, the survival of our species depends on it, and in the short term it could provide a whole host of as yet unknown benefits, as all undirected pure research has the potential to.
Ron: "I am lazy."

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2007, 08:18:16 AM »
I heard it's one billion.  I doubt something that takes till 2020 will cost only one billion.  they spend that much how fast in Iraq?

Five days.

http://nationalpriorities.org/index.php?option=com_wrapper&Itemid=182

tonyboloni

• Getbig II
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2007, 08:21:47 AM »
Five days.

http://nationalpriorities.org/index.php?option=com_wrapper&Itemid=182

LOL, oh yes, I can see what they spend in Iraq in 5 days will get us back to the moon by 2020.  WHAT 2020???  We're so far more advanced today and we can't get back till 2020?  I think I might listen to some of those moon conspiracies!

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2007, 08:29:43 AM »
Yeah, the men supposedly walked in space wearing aluminum suits and those 1969 computers.  Yet in the last 30 years, no one has dared go there.

youandme

• Getbig V
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2007, 09:11:15 AM »
Hahaha 2020. Damn those conspiracies speak forthemselves, what the hell has NASA been doing for 30 years re-inventing the wheel? Every mission they have is a flop.

Hugo Chavez

• Getbig V
« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2007, 09:45:47 AM »
Hahaha 2020. Damn those conspiracies speak forthemselves, what the hell has NASA been doing for 30 years re-inventing the wheel? Every mission they have is a flop.
doesn't look good but I beleive we landed on the moon.  But this does look bad for my case :-\

tu_holmes

• Getbig V
  • Robot
« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2007, 09:48:44 AM »
We should be spending the money on Earth... cleaning up rivers, lakes, oceans... What's funny is that we have a fast unknown area at the bottoms of our oceans we know very little about.

Goat mentioned survival of our species... That may be true, but our species would probably survive just fine on Earth if we took care of it and don't blow it to hell with nuclear weapons.

G o a t b o y

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
  • Time-Out in Dubai, India with Swampi the Cocksmith
« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2007, 10:22:46 AM »
Goat mentioned survival of our species... That may be true, but our species would probably survive just fine on Earth if we took care of it and don't blow it to hell with nuclear weapons.

But we might blow it up with nuclear weapons anyway... or a 10-mile-long asteroid might smash into the earth, or Yellowstone might erupt, or a new pandemic we are unable to stop might arise, or any of a dozen other things that could wipe out human life on earth could occur.

We need to get human civilization flourishing somewhere other than planet earth. And doing so is such a long road that if we don't get started now it'll never happen.
Ron: "I am lazy."

tu_holmes

• Getbig V
  • Robot
« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2007, 10:31:18 AM »
But we might blow it up with nuclear weapons anyway... or a 10-mile-long asteroid might smash into the earth, or Yellowstone might erupt, or a new pandemic we are unable to stop might arise, or any of a dozen other things that could wipe out human life on earth could occur.

We need to get human civilization flourishing somewhere other than planet earth. And doing so is such a long road that if we don't get started now it'll never happen.

Maybe that's just the way it's supposed to be... There is no guarantee that we are supposed to be the dominant species on Earth forever... maybe it's time to let someone else give it a shot... We have not done so well with it.