Author Topic: Fed Ex to cancel billion(s) dollar contract with Boeing over "Card Check" Bill  (Read 5658 times)

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Doesnt lie about lifting.
FedEx threatens to cancel Boeing jet orders: report

Buzz Up Send
Email IM Share
Delicious Digg Facebook Fark Newsvine Reddit StumbleUpon Technorati Yahoo! Bookmarks Print Wed Mar 25, 4:29 am ET

(Reuters) – FedEx Corp is threatening to cancel the purchase of billions of dollars worth of new Boeing Co cargo planes if Congress passes a law that would make it easier for unions to organize at the package-delivery company, the Wall Street Journal said.

FedEx may cancel plans to buy as many as 30 new Boeing planes should Congress pass a bill that would remove truck drivers, couriers and other employees at FedEx's Express unit from the jurisdiction of the federal Railway Labor Act of 1926, the paper cited the company spokesman as saying.

In January, FedEx said its express unit exercised options to buy 15 more Boeing 777 freighters, worth $3.75 billion at list prices.

However, the company deferred delivery of some of the planes as the U.S. economy faces a bleak outlook.

FedEx's actions raise the stakes in an increasingly bitter battle involving chief rival, United Parcel Service Inc, and the Teamsters union, which has been trying for years to organize at FedEx, the Journal said.

FedEx and Boeing could not be immediately reached for comment by Reuters.

(Reporting by Bhaswati Mukhopadhyay in Bangalore)

________________________ ______________________

I hope this disaster fails and Arlen Specter said he will block it.

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com

what are your feelings on card check?  I've never seen you take a position on the matter.

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V

what are your feelings on card check?  I've never seen you take a position on the matter.

Does the phrase "Unmitigated Disaster" mean anything to you?

This is a giveway to Big Labor at the expense of everyone else in the form of higher consumer goods, less choice, no more secret ballot, Federal monitoring of businesses, allowing the govt to impose union work rules on companies who wont go along with this.

I posted a good video from the Ex-Ceo of Home Depot about this bill and it was shocking how far reaching this bill is.

Even George McGovern is against it!   

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V

CHECK THIS OUT ON CARD CHECK - GREAT VIDEO:

http://www.cnbc.com/id/15840232?video=833707638&play=1

Decker

• Getbig V
Well then from whom will FedEx purchase the airplanes?

China?  Japan?

There's a commercial in there somewhere about FedEx's fidelity to the USA and to the backbone of our country - the laborer...the creators of wealth...the majority of our people.

We want Labor to be strong.  We want a workforce with a good standard of living.  Unions help make that possible.

Let FedEx pull their contract offers and run to a foreign country to save a buck.  That just shows you where their hearts are at.

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
That's all well and good until you lose your job.  Unions destroy jobs, not the otherway around.

Decker

• Getbig V
That's all well and good until you lose your job.  Unions destroy jobs, not the otherway around.

Union workers create wealth, 40 hour work weeks, benefits and bargaining leverage with the ownership.

If the jobs are lost, it's due to executive elitest greed.

Since when does paying a livable wage on a 40 hour work week with basic benefits become a job-killer?

There has been a concerted effort by the elites/republicans to kill unions.  Why?  You seem to think that worker bargaining power, livable wages, benefits and 40 hour workweeks are bad for business and bad for the country.

Look at 401k accounts, 125 healthcare accounts, the average 48 hour workweek, the stagnant income, etc.  Benefits are put on the back of individual workers with these tax deferred vehicles that favor those who can afford to make contributions.  We work more hours for less pay yet producitivity and profits have been growing consistently.  Executive pay has exploded.  Rank and file pay is stagnant.

Don't you see a trend here?

Why do you wish to continue this march towards the death of the middle class?

Why do you view an organized workforce as the enemy?

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
Well then from whom will FedEx purchase the airplanes?

China?  Japan?

There's a commercial in there somewhere about FedEx's fidelity to the USA and to the backbone of our country - the laborer...the creators of wealth...the majority of our people.

We want Labor to be strong.  We want a workforce with a good standard of living.  Unions help make that possible.

Let FedEx pull their contract offers and run to a foreign country to save a buck.  That just shows you where their hearts are at.

CHECK THIS VIDEO OUT.

If you think waging wars on corporations is going to help anything, tellt hat to all the new unemployed people who are going to lose their jobs due to this insanity.

Decker

• Getbig V
I can't watch that at work.  I'll have to wait until friday.

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
Union workers create wealth, 40 hour work weeks, benefits and bargaining leverage with the ownership.

Since when does paying a livable wage on a 40 hour work week with basic benefits become a job-killer?

There has been a concerted effort by the elites/republicans to kill unions.  Why?  You seem to think that worker bargaining power, livable wages, benefits and 40 hour workweeks are bad for business and bad for the country.

Look at 401k accounts, 125 healthcare accounts, the average 48 hour workweek, the stagnant income, etc.  Benefits are put on the back of individual workers with these tax deferred vehicles that favor those who can afford to make contributions.  We work more hours for less pay yet producitivity and profits have been growing consistently.  Executive pay has exploded.  Rank and file pay is stagnant.

________________________ __________

They hinder the ability of a company to be flexible in dealing with costs and new realities of the marketplace. 

US companies cannot and wont compete globally with a unionized workforce.  Its that simple.  look at almost any company that it unionized - failure and unemployment.

If this mess goes through, there will be even more unemployment since small businesses will now have t be unionized as well. 

I have three clients who told me if this goes through they are going to shut down for good. 

Painting Contractor - 100 employees

Food Supplier - 250 employees

Plumbing Contractor - 25 employees

The entire union mentality is completely backwards and a relic of the past that no longer applies to a global economy and highly mobile workforce and population.

The 1950's are over.  Deal with it.   

BM OUT

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!

My shop isnt unuinised.We have good benefits,good pay,good bosses a good work atmoshphere.WE dont need a fucking union.i DONT WANT MY HARD EARNED MONEY BEING GIVEN TO FILTHY DEMOCRATS!!!!Thats why unions exist.To fund the democratic campaig machines.

Decker

• Getbig V
CHECK THIS VIDEO OUT.

If you think waging wars on corporations is going to help anything, tellt hat to all the new unemployed people who are going to lose their jobs due to this insanity.
If by "waging wars on corporations" you mean a more equitable distribution of profits, I got no problem with that.

The corporate elites waged the war for dominance and have won hands down.   They take home the wealth that the laborers create.  They own our political system.  

Where exactly is this dire threat that organized labor allegedly poses?

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
If by "waging wars on corporations" you mean a more equitable distribution of profits, I got no problem with that.

The corporate elites waged the war for dominance and have won hands down.   They take home the wealth that the laborers create.  They own our political system.  

Where exactly is this dire threat that organized labor allegedly poses?

Let me explain something to you, I started a business from nothing to benefit me because I was not happy at the salry I was making working for someone else.  I hope to grow it in the future.  I employ people who are free to leave if they want to do better.  Let them go work somewhere else or start their own business if they feel they are being undervalued.  My business does not exist to provide benefits to other people.   

The day that I am told or forced to allow my employees to tell me what to do, or how to run my place, I am shutting down and laying them off. 

Our country was founded on freedom, not redistribution schemes by criminal union thugs who always have their lazy hands out.

Unions as they exist today are a plague, especially in education and government..         

Decker

• Getbig V
They hinder the ability of a company to be flexible in dealing with costs and new realities of the marketplace. 
No they don't.

US companies cannot and wont compete globally with a unionized workforce.  Its that simple.  look at almost any company that it unionized - failure and unemployment.
So you want the average worker in the US to have the same quality of life as the slumdogs in India...so we can be competitive.  That's crazy.

If this mess goes through, there will be even more unemployment since small businesses will now have t be unionized as well. 
What are you talking about?  The Fed Ex controversy is over the Federal Aviation Administration reauthorization bill.  I'm not aware of any pending legislation that makes small businesses unionize.

I have three clients who told me if this goes through they are going to shut down for good. 

Painting Contractor - 100 employees

Food Supplier - 250 employees

Plumbing Contractor - 25 employees
Then you'd better tell your clients that they are basing their decision on wrong information.  That'll save them a lot of headaches.

The entire union mentality is completely backwards and a relic of the past that no longer applies to a global economy and highly mobile workforce and population.

The 1950's are over.  Deal with it. 
Here's the crux of the problem.  Corporate elites and apologists like yourself want the US to compete even if it means killing any reasonable quality of life for our laborers.

Why if you're part of the labor class - the ones actually creating the wealth - then you should be accustomed to living like the slumdogs in India.  Work for food and be happy about it.

The 1950's quality of life is over b/c corporate elites have conspired to kill it.  Now both mom and dad work creating latch key kids.  We have more work hours for less pay and few or no benefits.

Your answer for economic growth -  kill the middle class, destroy the US's standard of living, and win the race to the bottom of the economic rung for the vast majority of the country - i.e., the laborers.

That's not a good plan.

shootfighter1

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Competitor- NABBA Nationals Overall Champ
In this day and age, unions clearly increase overall costs for companies while providing limited benefits to workers.  Typically, union disputes are long, drawn out and costly.  Unions are often corrupt.  Historically unions had a noble purpose.  Now, there are a burden for the employer and often for the workers too.  Its not just about fighting for vacation and health benefits.  If anyone has worked in a large unionized company, you know the red tape and BS restrictions/over-regulation you have to deal with.  It increases cost of completing work because of how the internal structures work and the inefficiencies it promotes (not just the increased cost of benefits).

Decker

• Getbig V
My shop isnt unuinised.We have good benefits,good pay,good bosses a good work atmoshphere.WE dont need a fucking union.i DONT WANT MY HARD EARNED MONEY BEING GIVEN TO FILTHY DEMOCRATS!!!!Thats why unions exist.To fund the democratic campaig machines.
Good point!

shootfighter1

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Competitor- NABBA Nationals Overall Champ
Decker, its not a choice of two extremes as your comparison.  There needs to be protection of worker's rights, of course...but that doesn't necessitate a unionized workforce.  You seem to be thinking of the workplace decades ago.

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
I have a simple answer for you - stop crying and start your own business if you are not happy what you are making. 

Everyone is free to do the same.

Decker

• Getbig V
Let me explain something to you, I started a business from nothing to benefit me because I was not happy at the salry I was making working for someone else.  I hope to grow it in the future.  I employ people who are free to leave if they want to do better.  Let them go work somewhere else or start their own business if they feel they are being undervalued.  My business does not exist to provide benefits to other people. 
You sound like a great boss. 

The day that I am told or forced to allow my employees to tell me what to do, or how to run my place, I am shutting down and laying them off.
Good for you.

Our country was founded on freedom, not redistribution schemes by criminal union thugs who always have their lazy hands out.
Wrong sir.  This country was founded by expatriated aristrocrats who devised a political system to insulate their wealth while maximizing their own political power.

Unions as they exist today are a plague, especially in education and government..   
I'll tell you, they are not a plague to the unionized workforce.  They love the equitable pay, livalbe work hours and benefits...you never saw such benefits.    

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
In this day and age, unions clearly increase overall costs for companies while providing limited benefits to workers.  Typically, union disputes are long, drawn out and costly.  Unions are often corrupt.  Historically unions had a noble purpose.  Now, there are a burden for the employer and often for the workers too.  Its not just about fighting for vacation and health benefits.  If anyone has worked in a large unionized company, you know the red tape and BS restrictions/over-regulation you have to deal with.  It increases cost of completing work because of how the internal structures work and the inefficiencies it promotes (not just the increased cost of benefits).

You put it much better than I did.  Its not just the pay, its the work rules and red tape as well.

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
I value freedom over security. 

You obviously do not. 

Decker

• Getbig V
Jimmy Hoffa has not been a Union Boss for 40 years.

Unions have always been characterized in the manner you put forth - a burden, job-killer, a handi-cap to competition.  Always.

Those tired arguments do not hold up under scrutiny.

I guess 7% unionization of our workforce is too much for you.

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
Jimmy Hoffa has not been a Union Boss for 40 years.

Unions have always been characterized in the manner you put forth - a burden, job-killer, a handi-cap to competition.  Always.

Those tired arguments do not hold up under scrutiny.

I guess 7% unionization of our workforce is too much for you.

Look at the industries that are unionized - Failure, Waste, Fraud, and Abuse!  Auto's, Education, Govt Employees,

Decker

• Getbig V
Decker, its not a choice of two extremes as your comparison.  There needs to be protection of worker's rights, of course...but that doesn't necessitate a unionized workforce.  You seem to be thinking of the workplace decades ago.
Bargaining occurs btn two parties, not two extremes.  Otherwise management holds all the cards.

I am thinking of a workplace from decades ago.  Corporate elitests and republicans have effectively killed unions b/c they are greedy bastards that would just as soon go back to feudal organization rather than pay a fair day's wage.

The workers create the wealth.  Remember that.

Decker

• Getbig V
I have a simple answer for you - stop crying and start your own business if you are not happy what you are making. 

Everyone is free to do the same.
I'm not crying.  Do you think you can stop insulting me with shit like that and discuss this like an adult?

This thread, which you started, is about FedEX - a giant corporation.  Somehow you've gotten it into your head that all small businesses will be unionized by the FAA bill.

What the hell are you talking about?