Author Topic: 1973 Mr. Olympia: Arnold breaks Sergio's record!  (Read 50526 times)

GoneAway

• Getbig V
1973 Mr. Olympia: Arnold breaks Sergio's record!
« on: January 04, 2009, 11:31:00 PM »
These are the contests that I herald as being Arnold's best ever, in terms of the package he brought to the stage:

1969 NABBA Mr. Universe
1971 Mr. Olympia
1973 Mr. Olympia
1974 Mr. Olympia

It's tough to choose out of those four as to what was Arnold's best ever showing, but this contest ranks high on that list.

Arnold defeated Franco Columbu (2nd) and Serge Nubret (3rd) for the Mr. Olympia title this year. Also held was the Mr. World and Mr. America crowns, taken by Ken Waller and Lou Ferrigno, respectively. Sergio was slated to compete at the 1973 Mr. Olympia, but was banned for appearing in the 1972 WBBG Mr. Galaxy. Could he have defeated Arnold? We will never know. This was also a record-breaking event, as Arnold won his fourth straight Mr. Olympia crown; beating Sergio's record of three.

GoneAway

• Getbig V
Re: 1973 Mr. Olympia: Arnold breaks Sergio's record!
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2009, 11:42:20 PM »
Article courtesy of musclememory.com. From Muscle Builder: Vol 15, Num 1, Page 29. January 1974.

THE MOST MOST-BLOWING MUSCLE CONTEST EVER!

Arnold was so fabulous that Sergio Oliva, the Cuban chicken, didn't show! Franco was definitely at his best . . . positively the most muscular man ever! With an array of the finest physique contestants ever this year's contest was undoubtedly the most mind-blowing physique event ever presented . . . !
by Joe Weider

This year's I.F.B.B./A.A.B.A contest, held in Brooklyn, New York, Saturday Sept. 8, was absolutely the greatest bodybuilding show ever presented . . . !

The very fortunate - and absolutely amazed - audience witnessed body-building history in the making . . . and will certainly never forget the awesome massive muscularity of Arnold Schwarzenegger and Franco Columbu! What the spell-bound audience saw displayed that night on the stage by the "King", Arnold, they will never see again, in my professional opinion, for many years to come. . . Arnold is absolutely the best-developed man of all time! And. . . on that memorable night, he was at his absolute best. Period!

The same can be said for the mighty Franco Columbu! I sincerely doubt that any man of his height and weight displays so much impressive size, strength and quality of physique line and form. The entire show was conducted and presented in the highest quality tradition for such an event. The contestants were all of the highest caliber, and the judging went extremely well and was very fair. The house was literally packed!

This article is just a sneak preview - next month I'll give you all the details of this spectacular event. . . You will be given a break-down of all the great contestants, the very deserving winners, etc. - with photos galore! Plus a complete verbal report of what took place. If you weren't fortunate enough to be there in person, we will present this unforgettable contest to you, thru the pages of MUSCLE BUILDER, with such clarity, emotion and fine photos, you'll almost be able to imagine you are there . . . !

GoneAway

• Getbig V
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2009, 12:00:33 AM »
The follow-up article. From Muscle Builder: Vol 15, Num 2, Page 24. May 1974.

Most Mind-Blowing Muscle Panorama Ever Held

by JOE WEIDER,
Trainer of Champions since 1936, with over 3,000,000 successful students!

Sergio chickens-out as Arnold cops Mr. Olympia honors for a record fourth time! Columbu and Nubret add to best-ever Mr. O contest! Ken Waller is easy Mr. World victor! New Super-Star, Lou Ferrigno, is easy AABA Mr. America!

Like a pack of lusting sharks sensing blood, over 3,000 muscle fans stormed the Brooklyn Academy of Music on September 8, '73, to gorge themselves on the greatest bodybuilding show ever held. . . 2,000 couldn't get in, but refused to leave, and even police reinforcements failed to remove them from the streets until the last light was out and the final contestant had left.

MONSTER MUSCLESHOW OUTDRAWS RIVAL CONTEST 3 TO 1!

At the same time, another muscle show was being held a few subway stations away in a Manhattan college auditorium. Although it had some name entrants, and was selling through the widespread Ticketron outlets, orders were lagging until the legendary Steve Reeves, in New York on business remarked on TV that he would attend. Reeves' appearance, dressed, ensured a crowd for the rival show. Yet there were more bodybuilders milling about on Lafayette Avenue and St. Felix Place outside the Brooklyn Academy who chose not to go to Manhattan than inside the college hall! In the only known instance of contests in competition, the IFBB/AABA contest won by several thousand muscle supporters!

New York's authoritative weekly, the Village Voice, blasted the other show, ridiculing its presentation and content; but Voice columnist, Howard Smith, wrote agreeably about the IFBB event, calling it "rather enjoyable" and "more like a sporting event than a beauty contest."

BODYBUILDING MAY BE ON OLYMPIC CALENDAR

Traditionally, Ben Weider opened the evening with a fiery speech detailing how very close we are to Olympic recognition. With Ben, a sports power in Canada and Montreal, hosting the next games, the IFBB may get Olympic exhibition permission by 1976. Yet, even as he spoke these encouraging words, the audience writhed restlessly. They had come to see, hear, eat and breath muscle - and MMMMMuscle it was about to get . . . !

With Lon at the organ playing "Mr. Wonderful," and Jimmy Caruso and Artie Zeller at stage center snapping their fabulous musclepics, the curtain flashed up to reveal the most super mind-blowing collection of bodies ever placed on one physique-contest stage! Quickly it dropped to keep the awed crowd in a "Gimme more! Gimme More!" state of anxiety . . . and then the posing began.

ARNOLD CONFOUNDS HIS MR. OLYMPIA CRITICS!

The muscle-dazed audience had hardly a moment to relax before bodybuilding's top contest, "Mr. Olympia", was upon them. . . Much to the relief of IFBB officials expecting mayhem, Sergio Oliva had defected to guest-star at the other show, and he wasn't even missed! Another superstar, rarely seen in America, Serge Nubret, more than compensated for the absence of chicken-hearted Oliva. Not since the incredible Larry Scott / Harold Poole showdowns of the mid-sixties had the fans been treated to such an Olympian Olympia!

Nubret, whose 1972 comeback at Munich was cheered by all muscledom, posed first and was brilliant! The long-time hero had Schwarzenegger and Columbu worried as he scored near-perfect marks with the judges. "Vive le Serge!" yelled his French-speaking fans as he rolled from one breathtaking muscle display to the next. Only the super-greatness of the two other contestants subverted Nubret's life dream of an Olympia medal. Joe Weider claims Serge clearly is an odds-on favorite to display Arnold in '74, if he would come to California and train Nubret's life dream of winning the Olympia title. Serge Nubret has certain weaknesses, hardly noticeable in mortal company, ,but alongside Arnold and Franco, one must be a God. . .

Franco Columbu has no muscle gaps that human vision can detect. Every inch of his physique burned with muscle-on-muscle. In terms of pure muscularity, he is the Greatest Show on Earth; he has more than anyone! Unfortunately, his small stature compares unfavorably with taller stars. But this night, Franco, in his absolutely greatest shape, made the crowd literally go beserk! Over 3,000 mouths screamed, programs were thrown to the stage, and anxious guards rushed to protect him against an onrush of crazed Franco-worshippers. He held the audience captive for ten minutes, and when he left , the knocked-out fans knew that no better Short Class man exists!

Now it was Arnold Schwarzenegger's moment in the spotlight . . . The man they said couldn't do it; the man who couldn't come back! The man whose injured leg had ruined his training career. The crumpled Apollo whose dethroning was a certainty according to Sergio Oliva and Ricky Wayne. Well, here was the "Mighty Oak", Arnold, bigger and better than ever, throwing a 22-inch plus biceps and 57-inch chest right in their stunned faces, and then telling them to back-off. . . ! There would be no other Mr. Olympia this night; Arnold was "Super Arnold, September 8, 1973!" Greater than when he beat Sergio in years gone by, and by God Almighty, the best built of the 50-billion men who have trod the Earth since time began!

Arnold had endured the doubts of his friends and the malevolence of his competitors. He came back from a wrecked knee to train harder than ever. As the truest of the true Weider Champions, Arnold was unstoppable! Everyone in the hall knew it, and even Franco and Serge gaped at him, entranced. There is only one Mr. Olympia; there is only one Arnold . . . and they are one and the same.

Mocking boos echoed mercilessly when Sergio Oliva's non-appearance was announced. In order to match Arnold and Sergio - to satisfy IFBB fans yearning to know who is truly the greatest - I had offered Oliva an $1,8000 bonus to appear. The proposal was made during Tiajuana's Mr. International contest. Sergio could make more losing than Arnold winning ($1,000 first prize). And would total $2,800 for beating Schwarzenegger! But apparently Oliva was scared to taste defeat again. He forfeited, for at least a year, any right to call himself the world's best built man.

johnny1

• Getbig IV
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2009, 12:51:56 AM »
I always get a good laugh each time i read Joe Weider's little write-ups from back then....here's the founding father of "professional bodybuilding" using those real Mature grown-up words ;D ;D ;D...he wanted Arnold to (or so reports say) advised Arnold not to take up Sergio's challenge only weeks before @ the international in Mexico (so i guess that makes Arnold a chicken) but he (Joe Weider) has the nerve to call out Sergio baiting him with the "princely sum" of $1,800 ::) ::) ::) to try reclaim his throne... yeah sure anyone in the same position would "take up the challenge Joe" being assured of course of "fair judging"...LOL!!...Joe done the same thing "baiting" Reg park, Bill pearl, Leo Robert etc when none of them showed up at the 1965 Olympia putting it in print for the 1966 Olympia...guess none of that lot took the bait as well Joe... ;D ;D ;D

GoneAway

• Getbig V
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2009, 02:40:28 AM »
This is what Sergio Oliva looked like a few weeks before the Mr. Olympia...

GoneAway

• Getbig V
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2009, 02:49:28 AM »
"...the best built of the 50-billion men who have trod the Earth since time began!"

GoneAway

• Getbig V
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2009, 02:57:56 AM »
The King of the hill can only go down...
... or stay on the hill.

GoneAway

• Getbig V
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2009, 06:51:30 AM »
Arnold once again proves that he is numero uno. If Serge had brought up his legs just a bit, he might have "taken" this one. I am very impressed with Serge's physique in '72 and '73. He had alot of aesthetic and (in terms of the upperbody) proportionate mass, but I feel his posing didn't make his physique pop, like an Arnold or Sergio. If anything, his posing diminished an otherwise good physique. Whereas with Arnold, his posing IMPROVED his otherwise GREAT physique, so there isn't much comparison in that respect.

Franco was looking thick as usual. He was really great between '73 and '76.

The picture where Lou looks like The Hulk is not to scale. He's simply closer to the camera. Thus, the secret of illusion is revealed. ;)

johnny1

• Getbig IV
« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2009, 03:38:17 PM »
Big Lou looks huge in that last shot even though hes alot closer to the camera ;D ;D ;D 1973 Arnold looked outstanding huge, cut and his legs had improved (well his upper quads) form previous years, Sergio in the shape he displayed @ the internatonal was great, if he had dropped another 3-4lbs without sacrificing size it would of made for a fantastic viewing spectacle @ the 1973 O.

GoneAway

• Getbig V
« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2009, 04:47:02 PM »
Big Lou looks huge in that last shot even though hes alot closer to the camera ;D ;D ;D 1973 Arnold looked outstanding huge, cut and his legs had improved (well his upper quads) form previous years, Sergio in the shape he displayed @ the internatonal was great, if he had dropped another 3-4lbs without sacrificing size it would of made for a fantastic viewing spectacle @ the 1973 O.

Agreed on all counts.

Do I see a quad sweep in the last pic? ;)

GoneAway

• Getbig V
« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2009, 05:05:28 PM »
"Looks like I can take you."
"Keep looking."

pumpster

• Getbig V
  • If you're reading this you have too much free time
« Reply #11 on: January 05, 2009, 06:25:10 PM »
Having seen those articles and pics when they came out, i've always said that:

-He was pushed to be in his best shape by 1972, when IMO he knew he would've lost in a fair contest. This was also the reason for the visit to the Mr. International, to scope out the competition. Never imagined being called out from the stage LOL. I think Ferrigno was a rising threat but not his main concern, he knew Lou did have the muscle maturity, relative size, polish and overall balance (calves for example).

-That was his best shape. '74 was just as good, this is just my opinion in that he was leaner then while slightly bigger the following year '74. Both great, arguably still the best ever.

-Sergio at his all-time best shape makes it a coin-toss. Mr. International wouldn't have made it, he'd have had to cut up further, which was possible.

Good job on the pics-most i remember from Muscle but there are some there i've never seen.

GoneAway

• Getbig V
« Reply #12 on: January 05, 2009, 07:30:06 PM »
-He was pushed to be in his best shape by 1972

Agreed. On the other end of the scale, he wasn't pushed as hard for the '72 Mr. Olympia after having no competition the year before.

pumpster

• Getbig V
« Reply #13 on: January 05, 2009, 08:07:16 PM »
Agreed. On the other end of the scale, he wasn't pushed as hard for the '72 Mr. Olympia after having no competition the year before.

I don't think it mattered that much in terms of winning the Olympia whether he showed up at his best, he was the great white hope for Weider and improved mag and supplement sales. No way he was gonna lose.

I think the motivation in '73 and '74 came from within him, not because he'd lose the show but he felt I think after '72 that he wanted to deserve the win, be at his best, which he clearly didn't believe was the case in '72.

GoneAway

• Getbig V
« Reply #14 on: January 05, 2009, 08:18:21 PM »
I keep hearing that Arnold admitted Sergio was better in '72. Do you know where this comes from, pumpster?

pumpster

• Getbig V
« Reply #15 on: January 05, 2009, 08:27:00 PM »
It comes from him, he's always said that.

GoneAway

• Getbig V
« Reply #16 on: January 05, 2009, 08:39:08 PM »
I've never heard nor read anything like that. Guess I am looking in the wrong places.

70sBB

• Getbig II
« Reply #17 on: June 25, 2010, 09:56:15 PM »
I always thought '73 was his best- thickness, shape, cuts, separation (man just look at the separation in his thighs)- total package.

Alex23

« Reply #18 on: June 25, 2010, 10:52:45 PM »
great thread of deep quality. I've read every single post.

GodSpeed to you brothers.

dantelis

• Getbig IV
  • Mesmerizing, isn't it.
« Reply #19 on: July 01, 2010, 09:49:03 AM »
Anyone have a list of the competitors for each year when Arnold won the Olympia? 

From what I have seen, during his first 3 or 4 years, Arnold only competed against 3 or 4 other bodybuilders, rather than the 10-20 that compete in the Olympia now and during the 80's.  Though I think Arnold was great and would have likely defeated all comers at the time, his victories aren't quite as impressive as a Haney or Coleman who competed against many more competitors every year to win their multiple Sandows.

70sBB

• Getbig II
« Reply #20 on: July 06, 2010, 05:48:29 PM »
Anyone have a list of the competitors for each year when Arnold won the Olympia?  

From what I have seen, during his first 3 or 4 years, Arnold only competed against 3 or 4 other bodybuilders, rather than the 10-20 that compete in the Olympia now and during the 80's.  Though I think Arnold was great and would have likely defeated all comers at the time, his victories aren't quite as impressive as a Haney or Coleman who competed against many more competitors every year to win their multiple Sandows.

I think his victories were equally as impressive as Haney's or Coleman's.  True, the amount of competitors he had to face were nothing if compared to the 80s, 90s, and beyond.  Bodybuilding is a totally different animal today with a larger gene pool to choose from and many more people pumping iron seriously.  Arnold did compete against true bodybuilding legends- Sergio Oliva, Serge Nubret,  and Lou Ferrigno.
Off the top of my head:
1970- Arnold, Sergio, and Reg Lewis
1971- Arnold- unopposed
1972- Arnold, Sergio, Nubret, Columbu, Zane, some other white guy (don't be offended I'm white)
1973- Arnold, Nubret, Columbu
1974- Arnold, Ferrigno, Columbu, Zane
1975- Arnold, Nubret, Ferrigno, Columbu, Zane, Beccles, Corney

kevcat

• Getbig IV
« Reply #21 on: July 07, 2010, 10:09:27 AM »
Everybody always goes on about Sergio but where are the cuts in Sergio?
Any bodybuilder can jump onstage and be larger than others if theyve not dieted to reveal cuts.Look at Arnolds legs and back.Sergio has none of that detail.Bigger he may be but a bodybuilding contest doesnt depend on whos the biggest ( or shouldnt )
Arnold takes the 72 contest IMO

70sBB

• Getbig II
« Reply #22 on: July 07, 2010, 12:48:44 PM »
Everybody always goes on about Sergio but where are the cuts in Sergio?
Any bodybuilder can jump onstage and be larger than others if theyve not dieted to reveal cuts.Look at Arnolds legs and back.Sergio has none of that detail.Bigger he may be but a bodybuilding contest doesnt depend on whos the biggest ( or shouldnt )
Arnold takes the 72 contest IMO

I think it was more than size alone with Sergio.  His shape/structure was amazing- wide shoulders tapered to a tiny waist; huge and shapely thighs; one of the thickest and best chests ever...
Arnold did state something to the effect (either in his Education of a Bodybuilder or article in Muscle Builder) that if Sergio won, he (Arnold) would have had no problem with that decision.
I agree with you that Arnold always had better separation and better conditioning than Sergio.  Standing relaxed Sergio had the "wow" factor, but Arnold's muscles just seemed to pop out at you when he flexed, giving him that "wow" factor.
Was Arnold a deserving winner in '72- I think so.

axioma

• Getbig I
« Reply #23 on: December 06, 2010, 06:17:50 AM »
I always thought '73 was his best- thickness, shape, cuts, separation (man just look at the separation in his thighs)- total package.

There is a studio shot, front double bi w/vacuum, around 240's that ranks with anyone from any era...period. 
ultrafit360.com

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #24 on: April 25, 2014, 12:28:49 PM »
bumped to top .......
F