Author Topic: HERE IS AN OLD ARNOLD STORY...  (Read 5478 times)

oldman

• Getbig III
HERE IS AN OLD ARNOLD STORY...
« on: February 05, 2007, 06:36:46 PM »
Around 1978 I believe, Arnold's book Education of A Bodybuilder was out and Arnold was making the rounds selling books. He was to be at Dadeland Mall in South Miami Florida. Of course, an wanna be bodybuilder had to be there, all 180 lbs of me.  My mother loved Arnold as much as I did, so off we went.  As I remember, Arnold was to be at B. Daltons book store in the mall.  So mom and me walk down to the book store, they had Arnold books all over the front of the store and a table at the entrance.  So a crowd begins to gather in front of the store and begins to get packed a bit.  I tell my mom to get out of the crowd as its getting tight, she moves to the right and there is Arnold.  He walked right down the mall to the store and my mom is patting him on the chest yelling, Morris here he is.  Of course the crowd parted like he was Christ.  He sits at the table and women are lifting up their shirt asking him to sign their body. I got to shake his hand and then the crowd began to riot and all the books and callenders were stolen. He was on the new that night...ah memories. Was anyone else there?

figgs

• Getbig IV
  • from realization to infinity
Re: HERE IS AN OLD ARNOLD STORY...
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2007, 07:32:42 PM »
Did he grope your mother?

hahaha seriously, nice story. I enjoyed reading that book. How big was he when you saw him?
~

oldman

• Getbig III
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2007, 08:11:49 AM »
it was interesting, I am 5'11" and he was not taller than me.  he was wearing a sport coat and pullover shirt with collar. there was my mom hand on his chest yelling.  it just got out of hand, I picked up a callendar, had all the rest.

pumpster

• Getbig V
  • If you're reading this you have too much free time
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2007, 08:16:23 AM »
it was interesting, I am 5'11" and he was not taller than me.  he was wearing a sport coat and pullover shirt with collar. there was my mom hand on his chest yelling.  it just got out of hand, I picked up a callendar, had all the rest.

I think senility may be setting in. I stood a few feet away from him backstage at the Universe in the 70s. No big crowds. He was around 6'1", period. The debate on this is endless, the reality isn't. ;D

alexxx

• Getbig V
  • Don't hate..
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2007, 08:25:34 AM »
Very cool story oldman. I wonder how many of his groupies he banged.
just push some weight!

knny187

• Getbig V
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2007, 08:55:03 AM »
I think senility may be setting in. I stood a few feet away from him backstage at the Universe in the 70s. No big crowds. He was around 6'1", period. The debate on this is endless, the reality isn't. ;D

I would say he's probably a little over 6'.  Maybe when he was younger he was 6'1" but father time shrinks people.  Nowadays, all he wears is cowboy boots so it's hard to tell.

pumpster

• Getbig V
  • If you're reading this you have too much free time
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2007, 09:22:53 AM »
I would say he's probably a little over 6'.  Maybe when he was younger he was 6'1" but father time shrinks people.  Nowadays, all he wears is cowboy boots so it's hard to tell.

This is exactly the kind of thing that perpetuates this topic forever. The difference between "a little over 6'" and "around 6'1" is virtually nothing considering that they're both estimates.. ::)

As far as shrinkage and father time, that's only speculation.

onlyme

• Getbig V
  • Don't Fuck With Bears
« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2007, 10:44:33 AM »
Well I am just under 6'1" (6'3/4").  This is us in 1987 or 88

alexxx

• Getbig V
  • Don't hate..
« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2007, 10:45:25 AM »
Well I am just under 6'1" (6'3/4").  This is us in 1987 or 88

I am sure from the steroid use he got to grow an extra inch. Also you are seated with good posture while Arnie is just slouched.
just push some weight!

oldman

• Getbig III
« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2007, 12:47:44 PM »
wow, controversy.  I would say Arnie is 5'11 no more.  now he is less, minus the lifts in his shoes.  I have heard Franco call him shorty!!!

knny187

• Getbig V
« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2007, 04:59:28 PM »
This is exactly the kind of thing that perpetuates this topic forever. The difference between "a little over 6'" and "around 6'1" is virtually nothing considering that they're both estimates.. ::)

As far as shrinkage and father time, that's only speculation.

One inch is one inch....& when I say a little over 6'....I mean he's probably atleast 6'

Most people say they're 6' & they're actually 5'11 1/2 - 3/4"

GoneAway

• Getbig V
« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2007, 05:21:06 AM »
Great story. Back then and even now, he really is like a God to so many people and the fitness industry in general. Would be awesome to see him in person.

YoungBlood

• Getbig V
  • Weee!
« Reply #12 on: February 11, 2007, 07:37:37 PM »
There was a monstrous thread over at IA about Arnie's height. Plenty of people making similar posts to Onlyme's. Nothing was conclusive, and all it did was create something like a 60+ page thread where people couldn't figure out Arnie's true height from the time he competed to the present.

onlyme

• Getbig V
  • Don't Fuck With Bears
« Reply #13 on: February 12, 2007, 01:37:38 AM »
There was a monstrous thread over at IA about Arnie's height. Plenty of people making similar posts to Onlyme's. Nothing was conclusive, and all it did was create something like a 60+ page thread where people couldn't figure out Arnie's true height from the time he competed to the present.

Not so much with Arnold as with guys like Sly.  Sly is 5'7".  But he does wear shoes with lifts built in.  I ws in the restroom once at Radford Studios and Sly was in there.  He had his shoe off playing with his sock or something.  And I saw the lift inside his shoe.  I talked to the wardrobe guy once on Over The Top and he to told me Sly has liftsinside his shoe and also has special shoes made with the lift built into the heal.  Without seeing the pc of me and Arnold together when I stood next to him I wouldn't have known he was taller than me.  So I don't see him taller than 6'2" at all ever.

Lundgren

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
  • Banned
« Reply #14 on: February 25, 2007, 09:59:26 PM »
There's a pic of arnie and gw bush walking side by side gw is 510 and arine is about a inch taller. He may of rounded up his height to six 1 tops. Same with feriguo i mean anyone see him dwarfed by ralph muller who's only 6 6.

onlyme

• Getbig V
  • Don't Fuck With Bears
« Reply #15 on: February 25, 2007, 11:26:55 PM »
There's a pic of arnie and gw bush walking side by side gw is 510 and arine is about a inch taller. He may of rounded up his height to six 1 tops. Same with feriguo i mean anyone see him dwarfed by ralph muller who's only 6 6.

Rolf Moeller is 6'8" or 6'7" at the shortest.  Ferrigno is easy 6'4" to 6'5".  He was easily taller than me.

alexxx

• Getbig V
  • Don't hate..
« Reply #16 on: February 26, 2007, 07:50:06 AM »
Rolf Moeller is 6'8" or 6'7" at the shortest.  Ferrigno is easy 6'4" to 6'5".  He was easily taller than me.

Did you meet Rolf? t says on his website that he is 1.95 m or 6'4 1/2.
just push some weight!