Author Topic: 1971 nabba mr universe story.  (Read 27109 times)

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
1971 nabba mr universe story.
« on: October 19, 2014, 11:31:28 AM »
 8)   in 1971 bill pearl won the pro mr universe nabba  version , before the contest  a belguim guy came into the back area where the guys were pumping up and getting ready for the contest with his 11 year old son.  the guy told his son to approach sergio oliva  to get a pic with him... oliva was oblivious to the little guys presence until he realized the kid had invaded his space upon which he yelled at the kid get the hell away from me. pearl on hearing this went over to the kid and took some pics with the kid even holding up the happy youngster. later that evening pearl was surprised to see the belguim man sitting at the judges table, yep he was a judge guess who he'd  pick for the winner???? pearl said this sure didn't hurt his chances...
F

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
Re: 1971 nabba mr universe story.
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2014, 11:33:00 AM »
 ;D
F

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2014, 11:35:38 AM »
pearl also said zane was angered by the placings as well as reg park who said about the judges, where did they get these guys??? only chris dickerson didn't complain figuring it was no disgrace for the master to beat his mentor.
F

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2014, 11:36:22 AM »
 ;D
F

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2014, 11:37:44 AM »
8)   in 1971 bill pearl won the pro mr universe nabba  version , before the contest  a belguim guy came into the back area where the guys were pumping up and getting ready for the contest with his 11 year old son.  the guy told his son to approach sergio oliva  to get a pic with him... oliva was oblivious to the little guys presence until he realized the kid had invaded his space upon which he yelled at the kid get the hell away from me. pearl on hearing this went over to the kid and took some pics with the kid even holding up the happy youngster. later that evening pearl was surprised to see the belguim man sitting at the judges table, yep he was a judge guess who he'd  pick for the winner???? pearl said this sure didn't hurt his chances...
I read this in a book from Bill pearl...A Gentleman :)

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2014, 12:55:09 PM »
I read this in a book from Bill pearl...A Gentleman :)
that's where i got it from donny very astute of you.
F

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2014, 12:57:46 PM »
that's where i got it from donny very astute of you.
:o
F

jonsgym

• Getbig I
« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2014, 06:02:12 AM »
Great pics, Funk 51. There has been so much written about this particular competition, so many folks cannot understand how Sergio lost ---- BUT, you needed to be there to understand what went on. I was, all through the judging, and saw how things developed.
First let me say that I believe that there never was a fairer, more open and honest system of judging than that operated by the NABBA organisation at that time. I cant speak about now as I have not attended one of their shows for years. All athletes from any organisation were welcome to compete  in the NABBA Universe, no one was barred simply because they were in the IFBB as it was then called, or any other organisation. Which is more than could be said of the IFBB then. NABBA was never a money making organisation, it had no "training principles ," to push by the head of the organisation, who, it appeared invented every know exercise known to mankind, no supplements to promote, it just cared about bodybuilding and the athletes.
NABBA was always about the athletes, and trying to do the best for them. Everyone was given a fair deal, and in all the NABBA Universes I witnessed, the judging process was painstaking, often taking many, many hours to complete. In those days, you could go and watch the judging the day before the show. The judging hall, if you could call it that, was quite small and you were very close to the athletes for many hours, enabling you to make an informed evaluation as to each athletes placing.
The judging was on the Friday before the Saturday show, and you got to the judging venue early to get a good seat as these were not reserved, so when the doors opened, you were in! sharpish. We always had breakfast and coffee in a cafe nearby, and that particular morning the place was crowded with bodybuilders, both competitors and spectators, helpers, judges, and even some normal people, the place was heaving. My mate and I were tucking into a full English breakfast, when in walks Bill Pearl and Leo Stern, who was his manager I believe. The whole place stopped, it was like God had just walked in, everyone was telling everyone else that Bill Pearl had just walked in. People who could not see him, stood up, every head was turned towards Pearl, some in that very British, reserved way, started to applaud him. Pearl was dressed in slacks and a loose fitting lumberjack type shirt, he looked huge, honest to God his legs sort of filled out his trouser legs so that his calves looked like they could burst the seems of his pants.
Deeply tanned, he smiled an almost shy, thank you smile, nodded to everyone around the cafe and then sat with Leo Stern at a table near us. You know, he was not just admired, he was loved, you could feel it, his aura sort of transcended the normal fan/star relationship, everyone in that cafe felt connected to Pearl. He ordered black coffee and talked to Stern.
I have just realised how much I have written, hope this is not boring as I have not mentioned the contest yet!
I think I will break it up into sections as some folks might find it hard going.      

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2014, 12:08:37 PM »
Great pics, Funk 51. There has been so much written about this particular competition, so many folks cannot understand how Sergio lost ---- BUT, you needed to be there to understand what went on. I was, all through the judging, and saw how things developed.
First let me say that I believe that there never was a fairer, more open and honest system of judging than that operated by the NABBA organisation at that time. I cant speak about now as I have not attended one of their shows for years. All athletes from any organisation were welcome to compete  in the NABBA Universe, no one was barred simply because they were in the IFBB as it was then called, or any other organisation. Which is more than could be said of the IFBB then. NABBA was never a money making organisation, it had no "training principles ," to push by the head of the organisation, who, it appeared invented every know exercise known to mankind, no supplements to promote, it just cared about bodybuilding and the athletes.
NABBA was always about the athletes, and trying to do the best for them. Everyone was given a fair deal, and in all the NABBA Universes I witnessed, the judging process was painstaking, often taking many, many hours to complete. In those days, you could go and watch the judging the day before the show. The judging hall, if you could call it that, was quite small and you were very close to the athletes for many hours, enabling you to make an informed evaluation as to each athletes placing.                                                         on the history board stories like this are welcomed, thank you for your contribution, which is very well written i might add. i believe you mentioned len sell somewhere else on here.
The judging was on the Friday before the Saturday show, and you got to the judging venue early to get a good seat as these were not reserved, so when the doors opened, you were in! sharpish. We always had breakfast and coffee in a cafe nearby, and that particular morning the place was crowded with bodybuilders, both competitors and spectators, helpers, judges, and even some normal people, the place was heaving. My mate and I were tucking into a full English breakfast, when in walks Bill Pearl and Leo Stern, who was his manager I believe. The whole place stopped, it was like God had just walked in, everyone was telling everyone else that Bill Pearl had just walked in. People who could not see him, stood up, every head was turned towards Pearl, some in that very British, reserved way, started to applaud him. Pearl was dressed in slacks and a loose fitting lumberjack type shirt, he looked huge, honest to God his legs sort of filled out his trouser legs so that his calves looked like they could burst the seems of his pants.
Deeply tanned, he smiled an almost shy, thank you smile, nodded to everyone around the cafe and then sat with Leo Stern at a table near us. You know, he was not just admired, he was loved, you could feel it, his aura sort of transcended the normal fan/star relationship, everyone in that cafe felt connected to Pearl. He ordered black coffee and talked to Stern.
I have just realised how much I have written, hope this is not boring as I have not mentioned the contest yet!
I think I will break it up into sections as some folks might find it hard going.      
F

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2014, 12:25:27 PM »
another story is how when pearl started training at stern's gym, he met up and trained with keith stephen, of whom pearl said was way ahead of him[pearl] at the time. bill would show up ready to work out and stephen would be sleeping in the gym. pearl enjoyed this as he thought the more stephen slept the quicker he would catch up and surpass stephen. which he did.  stephen's best placings were a 6th place in both the mr california and also mr america  in 1951 and 52.
F

BSN

• Getbig IV
« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2017, 08:50:16 AM »
About Sergio, Bill said: "He had the biggest arm I've ever seen on any man, and I'm sure they must be 20-3/4" cold.

http://bodybuilding.ericsgym.com/trainingarticles/bill_pearl/index.htm

BSN

• Getbig IV
« Reply #11 on: July 26, 2018, 02:05:25 AM »
Bill..

BSN

• Getbig IV
« Reply #12 on: August 05, 2018, 05:56:12 AM »
 :)

Humble Narcissist