Author Topic: Over 45 training  (Read 410366 times)

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
Re: Over 45 training
« Reply #450 on: September 08, 2015, 05:55:54 AM »
back to leg training after 2 week leg sabbatical ,vacation,rest...not full on weight but close..

extensins sets 12..190/205/215/220/235
leg press 4/5/6 plates side
v squat 3/4/4.5/4.5 plates side

hams,,,theses were done light ,i go heavy on hams usually,still getting better from my issue,still tender felt it when doing hams 'pressure'
standing leg curl machine 60/80/80/
stiff legged 135/185/185

calves seated calf raise 5 sets
how were your Quadzilla quads after this session Steve?

njflex

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • HEY PAISAN
« Reply #451 on: September 08, 2015, 06:36:54 AM »
how were your Quadzilla quads after this session Steve?
PRETTY GOOD,NOT USUAL WORKOUT NO LUNGES AND LITTLE LESS WEIGHT...

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
« Reply #452 on: September 08, 2015, 06:46:44 AM »
PRETTY GOOD,NOT USUAL WORKOUT NO LUNGES AND LITTLE LESS WEIGHT...
My legs feel good after doing a lot of sprinting.Burpees, free hand squats/lunges. was doing really more full body exercises. Keeps me in shape. next workout youŽll be doing your stair lunges

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #453 on: September 08, 2015, 10:48:36 AM »
Forgot to post that I worked legs on Sunday. I pretty much did my usual routine, which I've posted before. The one thing different was on a plate loaded machine that simulates lunges to some degree, but I don't know what it is called. It works one's butt, hams an quads.

Today I will work chest and arms.

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #454 on: September 08, 2015, 05:26:30 PM »
Trained delt and arms today:

Dumbbell press 3 x 10
Dumbbell laterals 3 x 10
Rear delt laterals 3 x 10
Dumbbell shrugs 3 x 10
Hammer strength press 3 x 10

ex bar curls 3 x 10
machine preacher curls 3 x 10
Nautilus isolateral curls 3 x 10

dips 3 x 10
behind neck tricep pulley extensions 3 x 10
traditional pushdowns 3 x 10

ab coaster 2 x 20 40lbs
ab wheel 1 x max
twisting ab machine 2 x 8 ( used more weight than usual)

Trained forearms at home
Wrist curls 2 x 25
Wrist extensions 2 x 15
Ivanko gripper 2 x 20

I ran two miles on a trail by my house after lifting and it was over 90 degrees.  Sweat like hell and my injured foot is only slightly swollen. I just can't shake this injury.  Ran slow 9:05 miles. Hope to dip under the 9 minute mark next time.

Gym Observations:

1. Tired of these three idiots who train together grabbing 6 pairs of dumbbells off the racks. So the 25lbs to the 50lbs dumbbells were gone and dumped by a bench they were using. Zero consideration.

2. Again, does anyone have a job? It's 9AM and the gym is packed with people.

3. I noticed about 5 categories of trainers. 1. Steroid head bodybuilders. 2. Guys who train incredibly hard but are into fitness. (I guess I fit in there) 3. Those who just don't have a clue what they are doing. Horrific form and just making up stuff. Just wonder if they read the new exercise a celebrity trainer wrote about in Men's Health?  4. People who just like to hang out and socialize. They don't do any sets with any work ethic. They sit on machines doing a set every 3 or 4 minutes talking to someone in between. 5. Cardio lunatics. Don't get me wrong I'm all for cardio but you have to strength train too.  I see the same people on the cardio machines every day but I seldom see any of them on the gym floor. I just don't get why a person would join a gym for only cardio?  Buy a pair of quality running shoes. Buy a mountain, hybrid or road bike. Join the Y for the swimming pool or jump in the ocean by me. It's only a matter of time before they make a machine that simulates sitting and rising from a chair.  

4. When I was in bodybuilding gyms in the early 80's and late 70's there were zero women in the gym. On a rare occasion a guy would bring in his girl to train but it was a rarity. In the gym I train in presently it's about 50/50. What I find most interesting is that many of them are really hard trainers that know what they are doing. In the past guys acted like free trainers to women hoping to get in good with them. The women I am talking about need no advice.

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #455 on: September 08, 2015, 06:26:08 PM »
Wouldn't you know it? I go to where the incline and decline bench press, plate loaded machines are and the counterpart incline/decline benches for barbells and everything is taken. Overall, the gym was much more crowded than usual. It's probably because folks were catching up from taking the holiday weekend off. Well, as I have mentioned in the past, I am not a patient person. No way was I going to wait for stuff to free up. So today with little exception, my workout was done using Nautilus equipment.

I skipped cardio....just didn't feel like doing it today. My excuse is that time was short.

Nautilus incline bench press, 5x15-8
Nautilus pec machine/flys, 5x15-12
Nautilus pullovers, 5x15
Nautilus dips, 4x15-10
Tricep machine (not Nautilus), 4x12-8
Nautilus seated curls, 5x12-10
Seated dumbbell curls, 4x12
Nautilus forearm machine, 5x15
Nautilus crunches, 4x15

Surprisingly, I got a pretty good pump. My pecs looked very full for me. The triceps were on fire. All in all, I had a good workout. Glad I didn't walkout of the gym when I couldn't do what I'd planned to do.

Gym observations:

There are all types of folks who workout at Nautilus Plus OC. There are some pretty chunky people and there are some very lean people. Lots of gals and guys sport a lot of ink. Some folks, like me, have none or at least none that show. If you smile at people, more often then not they smile back at you. One fellow who appears to be about 40 years old has a great upper body. Couple that with an impossibly tiny waist and he looks pretty amazing. I'm guessing he doesn't have much going on in the way of wheels. All in all, he's what women go for, but his body isn't balanced.

A cute little black boy came running out of the locker room with his gym bag. He was wearing swim shorts and no shirt. He set his bag down in the middle of the floor and ran back to the locker room (probably forgot something). Within seconds, he was back. What energy little kids have! What appeared to be his mom, was a full figured white lady. She didn't seem to have much energy. She probably exhausted it, moving all those extra pounds around all day.

There were more physical therapists with their clients out on the floor than usual. They were also likely making up for the holiday yesterday. It is fun to try to figure out what each person is in physical therapy for. Sometimes, it is obvious, but sometimes it isn't. One fellow, who looked reasonably fit, was doing a variety of free weight exercises with the therapist standing around and taking notes. It seemed more like the therapist was a trainer, but I know he isn't.

Steve manages North Lake physical therapy at this location. He often asks me about Margie. I am dreading this. It is difficult and awkward, telling people she passed.

chaos

• Getbig V
  • Ron "There is no freedom of speech here" Avidan
« Reply #456 on: September 08, 2015, 06:40:46 PM »
I did box squats and stiff legged deadlifts.
That's it.
Liar!!!!Filt!!!!

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #457 on: September 08, 2015, 07:02:52 PM »
I did box squats and stiff legged deadlifts.
That's it.

Sometimes keeping it simple is the way to go.

chaos

• Getbig V
« Reply #458 on: September 08, 2015, 07:06:13 PM »
Sometimes keeping it simple is the way to go.
I do tons of sets, few exercises most of the time.
Liar!!!!Filt!!!!

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #459 on: September 08, 2015, 07:12:46 PM »
I do tons of sets, few exercises most of the time.

I am too AD HD for that to work for me.  It is all I can do to manage cardiovascular for thirty minutes.

chaos

• Getbig V
« Reply #460 on: September 08, 2015, 09:11:44 PM »
I am too AD HD for that to work for me.  It is all I can do to manage cardiovascular for thirty minutes.
I actually enjoy it and my gym is empty enough for me to do it for any body part without anyone waiting.
Liar!!!!Filt!!!!

jugheadjones

« Reply #461 on: September 08, 2015, 09:43:26 PM »
I actually enjoy it and my gym is empty enough for me to do it for any body part without anyone waiting.

I just thought of this, why do you post here, you arent 45?

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #462 on: September 09, 2015, 01:17:39 AM »
I just thought of this, why do you post here, you arent 45?

Really? Seems like whoever you are, you are nitpicking. This thread evolved, for reasons we don't need to go into here, from the "Mature bodybuilding" thread. Most all of the posters have followed this thread across the board. 45 is arbitrary. 

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
« Reply #463 on: September 09, 2015, 05:40:39 AM »
This thread to me is for the Older Trainer hitting his Golden years in the sport where Friendship and Integrity are more important than Trophies.

njflex

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • HEY PAISAN
« Reply #464 on: September 09, 2015, 06:55:12 AM »
This thread to me is for the Older Trainer hitting his Golden years in the sport where Friendship and Integrity are more important than Trophies.
;D...our bodies are trophies...well at least outside..

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
« Reply #465 on: September 09, 2015, 06:57:08 AM »
;D...our bodies are trophies...well at least outside..
Men of the World Steve...

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #466 on: September 09, 2015, 08:16:07 AM »
Do you guys ever think competitive bodybuilding is all cosmetic? One of my friends has huge ripped thighs and decent calves. I have non existent calves and just okay thighs from a visual. My point is that when I run with him I can easily out sprint him and just forget about him keeping up with distance running. So my question is, his legs look great but what can they do except push a lot lot of weight in the leg press? Does he have a lot of power that he can demonstrate with a great vertical leap? I doubt it.  Just how few of the top ten Olympias could get be a real athlete say on a Division I football team? None?  I know the current O was a Division I basketball player and that is impressive. 

Sometimes I feel from a fitness and function stand point you have to train for power, endurance and strength. Let how it looks be the result of that and not the other way around unless you are a bodybuilder. I know individual sports require specificity of training.

I wish they would bring back athletic points back to bodybuilding like they did in the old AAU Mr. America contest. Have them clean and jerk for points to show their power, speed, strength and athleticism like they did in the past.

njflex

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • HEY PAISAN
« Reply #467 on: September 09, 2015, 08:25:14 AM »
Do you guys ever think competitive bodybuilding is all cosmetic? One of my friends has huge ripped thighs and decent calves. I have non existent calves and just okay thighs from a visual. My point is that when I run with him I can easily out sprint him and just forget about him keeping up with distance running. So my question is, his legs look great but what can they do except push a lot lot of weight in the leg press? Does he have a lot of power that he can demonstrate with a great vertical leap? I doubt it.  Just how few of the top ten Olympias could get be a real athlete say on a Division I football team? None?  I know the current O was a Division I basketball player and that is impressive. 

Sometimes I feel from a fitness and function stand point you have to train for power, endurance and strength. Let how it looks be the result of that and not the other way around unless you are a bodybuilder. I know individual sports require specificity of training.

I wish they would bring back athletic points back to bodybuilding like they did in the old AAU Mr. America contest. Have them clean and jerk for points to show their power, speed, strength and athleticism like they did in the past.
WELL I CALL IT FUNCTIONING MUSCLE,MEANING NOT MUSCLEBOUND TOO POINT WHERE U LOOK LIKE YOU CAN'T RUN,DIVE,OR EVEN WALK WITHOUT HUFFING OR LOOK LIKE A BLOATED TOAD..MYSELF FOR AN EXAMPLE ,MY LEGS ARE PRETTY BIG AND RIPPED ENOUGH,I RUN WITH MY KIDS /WALK NOT WADDLE,PEOPLE ARE SUPRISED FROM PANT TO SHOWING THEM HOW DIFFERENT PERCEPTION IS BETWWEN CLOTHED TO NOT,'MOST PEOPLE SAY I WOULD NEVER GUESS YOUR LEGS LOOKED THAT WAY'SAME WITH MY TOP I'M IN GREAT SHAPE ALL YEAR GIVE OR TAKE FEW LBS AND DO NOT CONSIDER MYSELF EVEN CLOSE TO MUSCLEBOUND ,JUST A WELL BUILT GUY WHO CAN POSE AND RESEMBLE 'A CLASSIC PHYSIQUE TYPE'I WOULD SAY..I'M STRONG THO BACK/LEGS/ESP...

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
« Reply #468 on: September 09, 2015, 08:25:20 AM »

Post of the Day..  :)

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
« Reply #469 on: September 09, 2015, 08:28:46 AM »
WELL I CALL IT FUNCTIONING MUSCLE,MEANING NOT MUSCLEBOUND TOO POINT WHERE U LOOK LIKE YOU CAN'T RUN,DIVE,OR EVEN WALK WITHOUT HUFFING OR LOOK LIKE A BLOATED TOAD..MYSELF FOR AN EXAMPLE ,MY LEGS ARE PRETTY BIG AND RIPPED ENOUGH,I RUN WITH MY KIDS /WALK NOT WADDLE,PEOPLE ARE SUPRISED FROM PANT TO SHOWING THEM HOW DIFFERENT PERCEPTION IS BETWWEN CLOTHED TO NOT,'MOST PEOPLE SAY I WOULD NEVER GUESS YOUR LEGS LOOKED THAT WAY'SAME WITH MY TOP I'M IN GREAT SHAPE ALL YEAR GIVE OR TAKE FEW LBS AND DO NOT CONSIDER MYSELF EVEN CLOSE TO MUSCLEBOUND ,JUST A WELL BUILT GUY WHO CAN POSE AND RESEMBLE 'A CLASSIC PHYSIQUE TYPE'I WOULD SAY..I'M STRONG THO BACK/LEGS/ESP...
you are a fit strong man...i think Rich is referring to the mass monsters.  ;D

njflex

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • HEY PAISAN
« Reply #470 on: September 09, 2015, 08:30:37 AM »
you are a fit strong man...i think Rich is referring to the mass monsters.  ;D
I KNOW,,ITS JUST MY PERSPECTIVE AND WAY I BUILD MY PHYSIQUE TODAY,20/30'S I ALWAYS WANTED TO BE BULKED UP OR TRYING TOO...

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
« Reply #471 on: September 09, 2015, 08:33:23 AM »
I KNOW,,ITS JUST MY PERSPECTIVE AND WAY I BUILD MY PHYSIQUE TODAY,20/30'S I ALWAYS WANTED TO BE BULKED UP OR TRYING TOO...
I myself have always had a "conflict" between Martial arts and Bodybuilding. I think i found the Golden Middle.

njflex

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • HEY PAISAN
« Reply #472 on: September 09, 2015, 08:37:39 AM »
I myself have always had a "conflict" between Martial arts and Bodybuilding. I think i found the Golden Middle.
I ALWAYS HAD BBING ON MY THOUGHTS AS THE MAIN DRIVE/FOCUS/LOOKED AHEAD FOR HEALTH FOR LONG HAUL,,ITS WORKING..

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
« Reply #473 on: September 09, 2015, 08:46:59 AM »
I ALWAYS HAD BBING ON MY THOUGHTS AS THE MAIN DRIVE/FOCUS/LOOKED AHEAD FOR HEALTH FOR LONG HAUL,,ITS WORKING..
I like both worlds and i remember early on weight training in Judo was accepted. The Technique is important but also certain muscles need to be trained. This is also now widely accepted in most systems and in Boxing very evident. i think the spectrum that weight training has to offer shows now how many older trainers use a Gym.

Las Vegas

• Getbig V
  • ! Repent or Perish !
« Reply #474 on: September 09, 2015, 09:47:29 AM »
Top marathon runners sometimes look like they're anorexic.