Author Topic: Over 45 training  (Read 410353 times)

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
Re: Over 45 training
« Reply #475 on: September 09, 2015, 09:59:19 AM »
Top marathon runners sometimes look like they're anorexic.
Even they use weight training to avoid shin splints and other Injuries. Weight training is universal in itīs diversity to help and or prevent injuries. Weight training makes an Athlete stronger.

jugheadjones

« Reply #476 on: September 09, 2015, 10:05:41 AM »
Really? Seems like whoever you are, you are nitpicking. This thread evolved, for reasons we don't need to go into here, from the "Mature bodybuilding" thread. Most all of the posters have followed this thread across the board. 45 is arbitrary. 

never realized I asked you
maybe you need to make more comments  like "cute black boys in  swim trunks" and "fellows around 40 with amazing upper bodies"

Las Vegas

• Getbig V
  • ! Repent or Perish !
« Reply #477 on: September 09, 2015, 10:29:33 AM »
Even they use weight training to avoid shin splints and other Injuries. Weight training is universal in itīs diversity to help and or prevent injuries. Weight training makes an Athlete stronger.

Yes, I agree.  It's interesting how people continue to look for a connection between common running and building big legs, though, when everything shows otherwise.

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
« Reply #478 on: September 09, 2015, 10:40:22 AM »
Yes, I agree.  It's interesting how people continue to look for a connection between common running and building big legs, though, when everything shows otherwise.
The point is weight training is recognized in many sports and a help in sport performance and agility. Also the Rehab of many injuries. I find hard leg training great for my running.. i pump blood more efficiently through my natural hearts in my legs. The lower body pumps blood at amazing rates back into your upper body..Bob Gadja saw this in his training.

jugheadjones

« Reply #479 on: September 09, 2015, 10:51:47 AM »
The point is weight training is recognized in many sports and a help in sport performance and agility. Also the Rehab of many injuries. I find hard leg training great for my running.. i pump blood more efficiently through my natural hearts in my legs. The lower body pumps blood at amazing rates back into your upper body..Bob Gadja saw this in his training.

what are natural hearts in your legs?

Las Vegas

• Getbig V
  • ! Repent or Perish !
« Reply #480 on: September 09, 2015, 11:05:13 AM »
what are natural hearts in your legs?

Circulation in legs is known as the "second heart"

jugheadjones

« Reply #481 on: September 09, 2015, 01:30:57 PM »

thats interesting, I never knew that. Totally makes sense

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #482 on: September 09, 2015, 02:01:00 PM »
Do you guys ever think competitive bodybuilding is all cosmetic? One of my friends has huge ripped thighs and decent calves. I have non existent calves and just okay thighs from a visual. My point is that when I run with him I can easily out sprint him and just forget about him keeping up with distance running. So my question is, his legs look great but what can they do except push a lot lot of weight in the leg press? Does he have a lot of power that he can demonstrate with a great vertical leap? I doubt it.  Just how few of the top ten Olympias could get be a real athlete say on a Division I football team? None?  I know the current O was a Division I basketball player and that is impressive. 

Sometimes I feel from a fitness and function stand point you have to train for power, endurance and strength. Let how it looks be the result of that and not the other way around unless you are a bodybuilder. I know individual sports require specificity of training.

I wish they would bring back athletic points back to bodybuilding like they did in the old AAU Mr. America contest. Have them clean and jerk for points to show their power, speed, strength and athleticism like they did in the past.

I was lousy at most sports when I was young. I was a good swimmer and I could run, that's about all. Sports which required a ball just didn't work for me. Later, I found out it was because of an astigmatism.

I started bodybuilding to gain weight, add muscle and look better. These reasons are definitely "cosmetic" as you put it. -Thing is, bodybuilding also helped me build more self-esteem. I attribute my good health and fitness to a lifetime commitment to bodybuilding. It is not necessary for me prove myself to anyone by using feats of strength and athleticism. Looking and feeling good is reward enough.

njflex

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • HEY PAISAN
« Reply #483 on: September 09, 2015, 02:04:21 PM »
I was lousy at most sports when I was young. I was a good swimmer and I could run, that's about all. Sports which required a ball just didn't work for me. Later, I found out it was because of an astigmatism.

I started bodybuilding to gain weight, add muscle and look better. These reasons are definitely "cosmetic" as you put it. -Thing is, bodybuilding also helped me build more self-esteem. I attribute my good health and fitness to a lifetime commitment to bodybuilding. It is not necessary for me prove myself to anyone by using feats of strength and athleticism. Looking and feeling good is reward enough.

sounds great ^^^^^

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #484 on: September 09, 2015, 02:28:23 PM »
never realized I asked you
maybe you need to make more comments  like "cute black boys in  swim trunks" and "fellows around 40 with amazing upper bodies"

FYI posts in public threads are open to public replies. Send a PM when you want to keep it personal.

Your innuendos speak volumes about who you are and how you think.  ::) 

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
« Reply #485 on: September 10, 2015, 05:27:59 AM »
Built a great Body for the time and won Mr America/Universe with his "Circuit training" alternating upper lower body exercises..

njflex

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • HEY PAISAN
« Reply #486 on: September 10, 2015, 05:35:04 AM »
Built a great Body for the time and won Mr America/Universe with his "Circuit training" alternating upper lower body exercises..

we are jaded with CURRENT CRAP BBERS.THIS IS PERFECT SIZE/CONDITION TO HAVE..

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
« Reply #487 on: September 10, 2015, 05:40:08 AM »
Maybe he was a bit radical at the time but a very intresting Bodybuilder. Some of these old school Guys worked out at a fast pace...When people think of "Circuit training" they think of light weights and only fitness type training. i think this system which Bob Gadja used can also be used for a competitive Trainer in the stages of preparation. It really is a hard workout. Great pump !..although Gadja wanted to avoid this with his system still worked for me.

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
« Reply #488 on: September 10, 2015, 06:10:20 AM »

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #489 on: September 10, 2015, 06:15:16 AM »
Maybe he was a bit radical at the time but a very intresting Bodybuilder. Some of these old school Guys worked out at a fast pace...When people think of "Circuit training" they think of light weights and only fitness type training. i think this system which Bob Gadja used can also be used for a competitive Trainer in the stages of preparation. It really is a hard workout. Great pump !..although Gadja wanted to avoid this with his system still worked for me.

I remember I saved the old Ironman magazines that were about Bob Gadja and his PHA training system. If memory serves me correct he picked about 5 exercises for a circuit. When he went through it a couple of times then he went to 5 different exercises for a circuit. After that he had another 5 exercises. The exercises never were for the same body part but completely different body parts. Maybe over the weekend I will dig out some old Ironman mags and refresh myself.  It will be a chore because I have a lot.

Today I feel like I'm defeated. Today is a scheduled work out but I am shot. I'm sitting here dressed for the gym but I'm not going.  Yesterday I did my first hard cardio in about 8 weeks.  I then went to work and afterwards had to drive to a wake about 90 miles from me in Brooklyn. Went to sleep feeling like I was coming down with something. Woke up with a sore throat and feeling beat up. Feel incredibly guilty about not doing my scheduled back and chest. Tomorrow is another day.  

njflex

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • HEY PAISAN
« Reply #490 on: September 10, 2015, 06:21:58 AM »
back/traps/calves/abs

close handle pulldowns x4 150/165/180/185
tbar row standing version 'underhand grip'2/2.5/3 plates
switched it up used iso lateral single arm seated row 2 plates and 2 sets 2.5 plates
seated cable rope upper pulls to face x3
standing pulldowns to waist underhand grip x3

non weighted lol 20 rep hypers x3

traps
seated chest press maching for shrugs,,2/3/4/4.5 plates

calves x3 10 reps drops 200/180/160/140

abs

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
« Reply #491 on: September 10, 2015, 06:22:34 AM »
I remember I saved the old Ironman magazines that were about Bob Gadja and his PHA training system. If memory serves me correct he picked about 5 exercises for a circuit. When he went through it a couple of times then he went to 5 different exercises for a circuit. After that he had another 5 exercises. The exercises never were for the same body part but completely different body parts. Maybe over the weekend I will dig out some old Ironman mags and refresh myself.  It will be a chore because I have a lot.

Today I feel like I'm defeated. Today is a scheduled work out but I am shot. I'm sitting here dressed for the gym but I'm not going.  Yesterday I did my first hard cardio in about 8 weeks.  I then went to work and afterwards had to drive to a wake about 90 miles from me in Brooklyn. Went to sleep feeling like I was coming down with something. Woke up with a sore throat and feeling beat up. Feel incredibly guilty about not doing my scheduled back and chest. Tomorrow is another day.  
Just rest Rich... as you wrote tomorrow is another Day. I feel better after a rest and train better. We are not Machines.. try and find the article  ;)

andreisdaman

• Getbig V
« Reply #492 on: September 10, 2015, 06:41:25 AM »
I don't know howm some of you guys do it...I've been to the gym ONCE in the past three weeks...been doing some long hours at work and teaching at night.....its killing me...can't get up in the morning at all to go to the gym...before three weeks ago I was going four days a week.....guess I'm just in a rut..gonna try and force myself out of it this weekend

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
« Reply #493 on: September 10, 2015, 06:45:15 AM »
I don't know howm some of you guys do it...I've been to the gym ONCE in the past three weeks...been doing some long hours at work and teaching at night.....its killing me...can't get up in the morning at all to go to the gym...before three weeks ago I was going four days a week.....guess I'm just in a rut..gonna try and force myself out of it this weekend
Maybe a Home Gym is what you need...even doing a few bodyweight exercise like chins...etc.

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #494 on: September 10, 2015, 06:48:43 AM »
Forgot to mention Bob Gajda also competed at a high level in Olympic lifting in the bodybuilding off season.  If I'm not mistaken he is also a PHD in Exercise Physiology. He was one of the pioneers of being a trainer.

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
« Reply #495 on: September 10, 2015, 06:51:53 AM »
Forgot to mention Bob Gajda also competed at a high level in Olympic lifting in the bodybuilding off season.  If I'm not mistaken he is also a PHD in Exercise Physiology. He was one of the pioneers of being a trainer.
Yes i read this Rich. would love to read the old articles you have, maybe scan them.

njflex

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • HEY PAISAN
« Reply #496 on: September 10, 2015, 06:57:51 AM »
SPEAKING FOR MYSELF ,I WORK 10 HR DAYS /EAT LUNCH AT MY DESK  >:(..HAVE 3 KIDS 9/5/2 ..WIFE WORKS AS NIGHT NURSE,SOMETIME WE DO NOT SEE EACH OTHER FOR 2 DAYS ,,I TRAIN 4/5 DAYS PER WEEK FOR MOST PART...

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
« Reply #497 on: September 10, 2015, 07:01:09 AM »
SPEAKING FOR MYSELF ,I WORK 10 HR DAYS /EAT LUNCH AT MY DESK  >:(..HAVE 3 KIDS 9/5/2 ..WIFE WORKS AS NIGHT NURSE,SOMETIME WE DO NOT SEE EACH OTHER FOR 2 DAYS ,,I TRAIN 4/5 DAYS PER WEEK FOR MOST PART...
No lunch break steve ?

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #498 on: September 10, 2015, 07:07:27 AM »

Get some powerblocks or ironmaster dumbbells and one of their benches.  Train at home. It saves so much time. Do two or three workouts a week with one of the workouts on your day off. If you only get two whole body work outs a week you are moving forward at a good rate.  So assuming you are off weekends train one day on Saturday and find one other day during the week to get that second workout in.

Your workouts might look something like this. Just a suggestion. It's brutal training the whole body in one session but so effective.

Workout One:

1. Dumbbell squats 2 x 12 ( hold dumbbells with straps, keep your upper body upright and don't bend over; really sink the squat)
2. Semi stiff leg deadlifts 2 x 8 ( for lower back and hamstrings)

3. chins 2 x max
4. Dumbbell row with one leg on the bench 2 x 10

5. Flat bench 2 x 8
6. Push ups 2 x max

7. Dumbbell delt press 2 x 8
8. Dumbbell lateral raises 2 x 10

9. Two arm lying dumbbell tricep extension 2 x 8
10. Alternate dumbbell curls

11. ab exercises

Workout B or second workout:

1. Dumbbell power clean 2 x 6 (do it one hand or with two dumbbells)

2. Dumbbell lunge 2 x 12 (12 reps each leg)

3. chins 2 x max
4. two arm dumbbell row 2 x 10

5. Inline dumbbell press 2 x 8
6. Flat dumbbell fly 2 x 10

7. dumbbell press 2 x 8
8. dumbbell upright row 2 x 8

9. dips 2 x 8 (if you buy the attachment for the bench. If not there is a cheap solution)
10. Dumbbell concentration curls 2 x 10

11. ab exercises

Las Vegas

• Getbig V
  • ! Repent or Perish !
« Reply #499 on: September 10, 2015, 07:24:56 AM »

X2.. something you never have to crash far from, even at an older age.