Author Topic: Over 45 training  (Read 410371 times)

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
Re: Over 45 training
« Reply #550 on: September 14, 2015, 05:08:21 PM »
Androgens as in anabolic steroids can cause an enlarged prostate. Prior to anabolic steroids being invented with dianabol the only steroid was straight testosterone. Yes, I know about a the revisionist history concerning steroids. The Russian Olympic lifters suddenly came out of no where winning. It was found that they were using testosterone (not to be confused with the current HRT) but for many the side effect was an enlarged prostate. Some of them had it so bad they had to be catheterized to urinate. Anabolic steroids were created to minimize the androgen effect and maximize the anabolic effect. I learned this from a book I read about 1973. That I don't even remember the title.  It was about the history anabolic steroids regarding bodybuilding. Of course NJflex I'm not pointing fingers. Not my intention. Enlarged prostates out side of cancer can be caused by infection and other reasons. It can be caused by steroids too. One of the things they do in some cases with prostate cancer and prostate enlargement is a chemical RX prescription to stop natural testosterone production for enlargement fueled by testosterone. Yikes!  

Trained legs today Yates style. Going to do this for a week.

Deep leg presses 1 x 15
Squats 1 x 9 then 1 x 1
leg extensions 1 x 25
seated leg curls 1 x 17
standing leg curls 1 x 14

Side bend with single dumbbell 1 x 17
Hanging leg raise 1 x max
Pulley crunches 1  x 30

Leg press calf 1 x 25
standing calf 1 x 15
seated calf 1 x 18

Neck work

Gym observations:

1. I trained in my basement gym so I can't report about any MILFS with thick asses wearing yoga pants. I did enjoy blasting my favorite music from satellite radio.

2. Why does everyone want to call me when I'm in my basement working out?

3. Training does get a little slowed down because all my machines are plate loaded. It's so great to put a pin on a selecterized plate stack.  

4. I know I'm in the minority but I really enjoy the solitude of home training. It really gets me into the zone. It's almost like going for a long run on a great trail in the woods.

5. Damn I have to vacuum this basement floor.

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #551 on: September 14, 2015, 05:46:09 PM »
Androgens as in anabolic steroids can cause an enlarged prostate. Prior to anabolic steroids being invented with dianabol the only steroid was straight testosterone. Yes, I know about a the revisionist history concerning steroids. The Russian Olympic lifters suddenly came out of no where winning. It was found that they were using testosterone but for many the side effect was an enlarged prostate. Some of them had it so bad they had to be catheterized to urinate. Anabolic steroids were created to minimize the androgen effect and maximize the anabolic effect. I learned this from a book I read about 1973. That I don't even remember the title.  It was about the history anabolic steroids regarding bodybuilding. Of course NJflex I'm not pointing fingers. Not my intention. Enlarged prostates out side of cancer can be caused by infection and other reasons. It can be caused by steroids too. One of the things they do in some cases with prostate cancer and prostate enlargement is a chemical RX prescription to stop natural testosterone production for enlargement fueled by testosterone. Yikes!  

2. Why does everyone want to call me when I'm in my basement working out?

You are right; there are many reasons for an enlarged prostate. Benign prostatic hyperplasia (BPH) is an increase in size of the prostate gland without malignancy present and it is so common as to be normal with advancing age. An enlarged prostate is not cancer, and it does not raise your risk for prostate cancer. BPH is so common in older men that it is considered normal. There is no clear evidence to suggest that having BPH leads to, or increases, the risk of prostate cancer. In hypogonadal men who were candidates for testosterone therapy, a 14% incidence of occult cancer was found. A percentage (15.2%) of prostate cancer has been found in the placebo group (with normal DRE and PSA) in the prostate. It's only 1%, but men who are not on HRT have a higher risk of getting prostate cancer. The precise reason for an enlarged prostate is unknown.

"A recent article in a medical journal looked at the effects of diet and supplements on prostate health. The article found that the following lifestyle factors were associated with a lower risk of BPH:
•High level of physical activity and no "belly fat"
•A low-fat diet
•Five or more servings of vegetables a day
•Two glasses of alcohol a day

In addition, the article mentioned some specific nutrients:
•Vitamin C from vegetables was associated with lower risk. Vegetables highest in vitamin C include bell peppers, broccoli, Brussels sprouts, kohlrabi, snow or snap peas, cauliflower, kale and tomato or vegetable juices.
•Foods higher in zinc also seemed to be beneficial. These include oysters, crab, baked beans, duck, lamb and beef (lean)." http://www.mayoclinic.org/healthy-lifestyle/nutrition-and-healthy-eating/expert-blog/enlarged-prostate/bgp-20056146

Don't let the phone ringing interfere with your workouts. That's what the answering machine is for. I never answer the phone if the caller or the # is unidentified except when it is my son calling. His phone # is many more digits because it is an international call. Not many spam calls come from Germany.

chaos

• Getbig V
  • Ron "There is no freedom of speech here" Avidan
« Reply #552 on: September 14, 2015, 06:49:23 PM »
Light weight squats and stiff legged deadlifts.
Liar!!!!Filt!!!!

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #553 on: September 14, 2015, 07:06:38 PM »
Prime it was my cell phone and calls from family. Zero spam or work related. I had to answer. Just a fiasco of calls from my wife, daughter and son. Actually it amusing  what it was regarding to me but I won't bore you with it.

My urologist said anyone with an enlarged prostate is generally not allowed to be on HRT. Again one of the treatments for prostate enlargements and cancer is chemical "castration" to stop testosterone production. I don't  pretend to be a doctor and what I wrote I believe to be accurate. I am just a little skeptical about many studies funded the makers of testosterone gels the same way I am skeptical about some of the conclusions of studies funded by the makers of statins. They have a financial stake in the outcome.

njflex

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • HEY PAISAN
« Reply #554 on: September 14, 2015, 07:35:41 PM »
thanks for the concern,,i do everything for health on 'paper'diet/execise/vitamins,,rest is a crapshoot..im feeling good other than sme random side effects from drug'hopefully i'm not n this long'

chest

fdb press..warmed 50x20..65x10/80/80/60x12/
inc db..60/65/70
hammer sit up lower press 2 plates/2.5/3 plates/2 x15
cable crossoversx3
lower cable flyes superset decline pushups x2

tris
vbar extensions x4 standing bent over
rope pulldowns x3
assisted dip/pullup padded machine... reverse pushdownsx3
cable kickbacks x3

abs

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #555 on: September 14, 2015, 09:58:09 PM »
Prime it was my cell phone and calls from family. Zero spam or work related. I had to answer. Just a fiasco of calls from my wife, daughter and son. Actually it amusing  what it was regarding to me but I won't bore you with it.

My urologist said anyone with an enlarged prostate is generally not allowed to be on HRT. Again one of the treatments for prostate enlargements and cancer is chemical "castration" to stop testosterone production. I don't  pretend to be a doctor and what I wrote I believe to be accurate. I am just a little skeptical about many studies funded the makers of testosterone gels the same way I am skeptical about some of the conclusions of studies funded by the makers of statins. They have a financial stake in the outcome.

I'm not as nice as you are. If I am busy, I don't answer my phone no matter who is calling.

Are you aware that low testosterone levels can cause cardiovascular disease? More people die from heart attacks than prostate cancer. I've not heard of anyone dying from an enlarged prostate.

njflex

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • HEY PAISAN
« Reply #556 on: September 15, 2015, 04:55:55 AM »
as I approach 50 and Donny ,,rich and our elder statesmen prime can give us insight into what health concerns we can face if not treated,,,this was a little wake up call for me..just some slight changes,i'm robotic same thing every day food/prep of day/sleep.proved i'm not perfect forever...I hope we can discuss things in a nice manner ,,prime as with most 65 and over folks feel testosterone improves there lives day to day over the latter'

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
« Reply #557 on: September 15, 2015, 05:04:24 AM »
as I approach 50 and Donny ,,rich and our elder statesmen prime can give us insight into what health concerns we can face if not treated,,,this was a little wake up call for me..just some slight changes,i'm robotic same thing every day food/prep of day/sleep.proved i'm not perfect forever...I hope we can discuss things in a nice manner ,,prime as with most 65 and over folks feel testosterone improves there lives day to day over the latter'
we are Gentlemen on here.. A Gentleman is a dying breed in todays world. I am still doing my circuit style weights and blasting out higher reps... maybe not a bad thing for a while. I am really getting into a more boxing type conditioning. doing traditional boxing and Wing chun punches and Forms.

njflex

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • HEY PAISAN
« Reply #558 on: September 15, 2015, 05:06:29 AM »
we are Gentlemen on here.. A Gentleman is a dying breed in todays world. I am still doing my circuit style weights and blasting out higher reps... maybe not a bad thing for a while. I am really getting into a more boxing type conditioning. doing traditional boxing and Wing chun punches and Forms.
good ur getting in it again,,get blood flowing...we both had it good me few yrs back you now...at least your going into right direction..

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
« Reply #559 on: September 15, 2015, 05:13:19 AM »
good ur getting in it again,,get blood flowing...we both had it good me few yrs back you now...at least your going into right direction..
I am actually training with one of my boys at Home. He is also getting the gloves on. yes the blood is definitely flowing and helping... Gripping the plate on Neider press all helping my hands too.

Las Vegas

• Getbig V
  • ! Repent or Perish !
« Reply #560 on: September 15, 2015, 07:44:15 AM »
OT1, yes NJ's situation is from an infection.  From what I understand, there is at least a theoretical risk of getting it any time you urinate.  Anything that obstructs the urine flow in your body, even for an instant.  Peeing at night with a piss hard-on can cause it, for instance.

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #561 on: September 15, 2015, 04:58:16 PM »
Trained chest and bicep Yates style one to failure:

Dumbbell flat bench 1 x 7
Incline dumbbell bench 1 x 8
Flat dumbbell flies 1 x 12
Push ups 2 x max (one conventional and the second with perfect push up handles)

EZ bar curl 1 x 14
straight bar pulley curls 1 x 15
alternate dumbbell curls 1 x 8
concentration dumbbell curls 1 x 15

forearm wrist curls 1 x 25
reverse forearm wrist extensions 1 x 16

Incline sit ups 1 x max (board about 2 feet off the ground)
weighted flat crunches 1 x 50
Pulley ab crunches 1 x 20

Ivanko hand grips 2 x 20

I then drove to a nearby park and ran two miles. Coming off a foot injury that stopped my running for nearly 2 months. Ran relatively slow but I'm happy with the 8 something minute miles I ran considering it was after lifting.

Gym Observations:

1. I'm so use to the over size dumbbell handles and fixed weight ez bar fat handles at the commercial gym that my home gym now feels weird with the conventional handles.  

2. Having my foot hurt for two months was really a blessing in disguise. I just stopped cardio just to lift. I lifted hard and realized how much too much endurance training weakens lifting endeavors. If you go for hard runs of 2 to 5 miles in addition to lifting your lifts will go down.  I don't notice it much with biking and treadmill walking. If I gun it for 5 miles running there is no way I will have any strength for serious deadlifting or squats the day after.  

chaos

• Getbig V
« Reply #562 on: September 15, 2015, 06:57:45 PM »
Light chest day
Bench, flyes, incline, incline flyes.
Liar!!!!Filt!!!!

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #563 on: September 16, 2015, 08:01:16 AM »
Day off cardio day. Ran two miles by a trail by my house.

njflex

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • HEY PAISAN
« Reply #564 on: September 16, 2015, 07:04:24 PM »
back /traps/abs home workout

17 sets back

behind neck pulldowns
reverse grip narrow pulldowns front
standup cable rows
db pullovers
pulldowns single arm side grip

traps,,reps a bit higher

cable behind back x3x15
front x3x15
db to sides  2 x15

abs 8 sets

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #565 on: September 17, 2015, 01:01:17 AM »
Day off cardio day. Ran two miles by a trail by my house.

I felt like clothes shopping, so I went to the mall and bought, among other things, a pair of American Eagle Jeans. They may just be the most comfortable Jeans I've ever had. Then I walked over to Jamba Juice and got a mango smoothie. This was my cardio. Walking at the mall covers several miles, I bet.

Next up, a long overdo trip to the gym to work legs tomorrow. Gotta get my legs pumped so they look good in my new jeans. I could use some bigger glutes too. LOL.

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
« Reply #566 on: September 17, 2015, 02:47:01 AM »
went for a run yesterday about 8pm and one street i run down which is very dark i saw lots of refugees hanging around. One Bus stop was about 15 of them just drinking and loud. I don´t know what language they were speaking. A few streets away from where i saw them a Doctors surgery was broken into and 2 houses, my mother in Law lives there and told me. They are roaming around in groups at night here. Looks like the trouble is beginning. So much for tolerance. they are Housed in 2 old Army camps here. The people around that area are scared to go out at night... very sad indeed.

chaos

• Getbig V
« Reply #567 on: September 17, 2015, 07:05:01 AM »
Hit some arms yesterday,  trying to devote a day to arms since I usually do them after a big body part and they're already toasted.
Liar!!!!Filt!!!!

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #568 on: September 17, 2015, 02:23:10 PM »
went for a run yesterday about 8pm and one street i run down which is very dark i saw lots of refugees hanging around. One Bus stop was about 15 of them just drinking and loud. I don´t know what language they were speaking. A few streets away from where i saw them a Doctors surgery was broken into and 2 houses, my mother in Law lives there and told me. They are roaming around in groups at night here. Looks like the trouble is beginning. So much for tolerance. they are Housed in 2 old Army camps here. The people around that area are scared to go out at night... very sad indeed.

This may be what the refugees are hoping for; people being afraid of them.

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
« Reply #569 on: September 17, 2015, 02:31:04 PM »
This may be what the refugees are hoping for; people being afraid of them.
were younger guys i think the real people in need of help will get tarred with the same brush. These guys were definitely out looking for chances, money etc.. don't care what all the good doers say it is going to be trouble. A lot of scum is coming over and is here now.

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #570 on: September 17, 2015, 04:18:24 PM »
Trained back today Yates style.

1. Power cleans 3 x 3
2. Dead lift 1 x 6
3. Pull ups 1 x max
4. Low cable seated lat pulls with a V handle 1 x 14
5. Dumbbell row with knee on bench 1 x 14
6. Reverse pull down 1 x 12
7. Stiff leg deadlift 1 x 6
8. Weighted back extensions 1 x 17
9. Weighted floor crunches 1 x 55

Thinking that I will train at home for awhile and then I will join a new commercial gym. I know it's not a nice as the Retro Gym I just trained at for almost 3 months but it looks more hard core. 

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
« Reply #571 on: September 17, 2015, 04:22:28 PM »
Trained back today Yates style.

1. Power cleans 3 x 3
2. Dead lift 1 x 6
3. Pull ups 1 x max
4. Low cable seated lat pulls with a V handle 1 x 14
5. Dumbbell row with knee on bench 1 x 14
6. Reverse pull down 1 x 12
7. Stiff leg deadlift 1 x 6
8. Weighted back extensions 1 x 17
9. Weighted floor crunches 1 x 55

Thinking that I will train at home for awhile and then I will join a new commercial gym. I know it's not a nice as the Retro Gym I just trained at for almost 3 months but it looks more hard core. 
tell the truth Ritch, you just want more hardcore women  ;)

njflex

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • HEY PAISAN
« Reply #572 on: September 17, 2015, 07:30:46 PM »
delts

db press.55/60/60
side laterals 25/30/35/...drop 30/25/15
cable rope fr raises x3
rear laterals seated x4...20/25/30/30

bis
curls x3 85/95/95
inc curls db 30/35/35
seated curls machine x3
db curls hammer across body x2 40/45

forarms
rope rollups weighted x3
cable reverse behind back wrist curls x3

chaos

• Getbig V
« Reply #573 on: September 17, 2015, 08:08:11 PM »
Light back day. Been doing sets of 15 or so.
Liar!!!!Filt!!!!

njflex

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • HEY PAISAN
« Reply #574 on: September 18, 2015, 04:51:58 AM »
Light back day. Been doing sets of 15 or so.
breakdown exercises what did u do?just back ,how long in gym?