Author Topic: Over 45 training  (Read 410414 times)

njflex

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • HEY PAISAN
Re: Over 45 training
« Reply #850 on: November 05, 2015, 08:44:01 AM »
It is the way it is. I can at least move my fingers and hand better than for 6 weeks. Tricep is getting stronger so see what happens. give it all in the Rehab centre and see if itīs ok. Donīt wish this on anyone but at least i get my laughs on getbig. I read your training Daily Steve and all the guys on here. Keeps me motivated. Really.
we reflect as we get older,,20 yrs ago or so it was whatever kill it till I get better cause i'm young,,now we need to take precaustions,,believe other than my wife pushing me to go to dr you guys helped at least ease my fears or encouraged me to go further with treatment and now that i'm well again the advice at least pushed me ..

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
« Reply #851 on: November 05, 2015, 08:49:59 AM »
we reflect as we get older,,20 yrs ago or so it was whatever kill it till I get better cause i'm young,,now we need to take precaustions,,believe other than my wife pushing me to go to dr you guys helped at least ease my fears or encouraged me to go further with treatment and now that i'm well again the advice at least pushed me ..
yes it always gets better you just gotta get on with it.

Las Vegas

• Getbig V
  • ! Repent or Perish !
« Reply #852 on: November 05, 2015, 08:54:14 AM »
not sure if he was so old in the first picture but the secound i believe 56. Any how a Gentleman, old school.

Agree, can't believe he was that old in first pic.  He looks about same age as in second pic.  Amazing to think he's a vegetarian, too.

Las Vegas

• Getbig V
  • ! Repent or Perish !
« Reply #853 on: November 05, 2015, 08:58:05 AM »
According to legendaryfitness.com, he was 56 in the bench pic.

Las Vegas

• Getbig V
  • ! Repent or Perish !
« Reply #854 on: November 05, 2015, 08:59:35 AM »
and second pic is from 1985, so same age

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
« Reply #855 on: November 05, 2015, 09:03:46 AM »
Agree, can't believe he was that old in first pic.  He looks about same age as in second pic.  Amazing to think he's a vegetarian, too.
Great Muscle mass for a man many years younger. Bill is a Lacto-ovo-vegetarian..eating Dairy products and eggs.
Lacto - vegetarians.. vegetarian products but no eggs.
Vegans-pure vegetarians..eat only plant food_no animal products.

source "Getting stronger Bill pearl".

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #856 on: November 05, 2015, 12:10:29 PM »

Prime I enjoy reading your posts. Warms the heart that your immediate family is attending church to remember your wife. Keep up the workouts. It's also good for your mind.
What makes you think I have a mind? LOL.

The mass was great. The choir outdid themselves as did the Cantor. We elected not to go to the reception after the mass. What would one talk about at such an event?

Trying to think about doing different things with my workouts. I'm like a broken record of low sets and failure training. When ever I try more moderate weight going for the pump I feel like I'm not doing the right work ethic of power bodybuilding. I have to learn to stop "sprinting" when lifting and become more of a "middle distance" lifter. If you can understand my convoluted metaphor

I do think it might be better to do moderate weights and little rest in between sets for awhile for most exercises. Maybe picking just one or two exercises to max out on using something like a 6-4-2-1 rep sets.  Just a little burned out trying to get stronger in all my exercises. This has been the longest period of training for me in a long time without a break. I lifted with few missed workouts since June to just recently where I quit a workout when my shoulder was hurting.

Going for a run tomorrow. Maybe I will figure it out then. I don't consider myself a bodybuilder. I'm into being as fit as a I can. I think the biggest fault I have training is that I push myself too hard training then I reach burn out wondering how I got there.

It really about breaking a habit. You should give working out with lighter weights a good try. I don't mean just one time, but for a couple of weeks so you get used to it and so you will see if you are actually making gains and feeling better about your workouts. If after awhile you want to work in a heavy day every now and again, you can. Constantly trying to break a record for how much you can hoist is just plain hard on your body.

When I look around the gym, I often see folks lifting fairly light who are really built. It appears this must work. Have you ever noticed how out of shape many power lifters are or appear to be? Sure they are strong, but what did they sacrifice to get there? My guess is most of them have suffered a few injuries along the way. An injury really sets one back. Better to be consistent. It is also good to finish your workout feeling like you could have done a little more, rather than being exhausted.

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #857 on: November 05, 2015, 12:16:00 PM »
....I WOULDN'T BE CAUGHT DEAD SQUATTING 135

I would. I've gotten a good pump squatting bodyweight, ass to heals, slow and easy with lots of reps. On the other hand, my quads aren't like yours....mine still fit in my pants.  ;D

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
« Reply #858 on: November 05, 2015, 12:20:22 PM »
I would. I've gotten a good pump squatting bodyweight, ass to heals, slow and easy with lots of reps. On the other hand, my quads aren't like yours....mine still fit in my pants.  ;D
Steve is Quadzilla.. would never do a leg Day with him  ;D

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #859 on: November 05, 2015, 12:33:19 PM »
Worked back, arms and abs yesterday. Keep it to 3 or mostly 4 sets each exercise. Didn't do cardio because I got to the gym rather late in the day. 3:30 is not the best time to do a workout. The gym was crowded meaning I had to wait to use equipment or change my planned exercise which I did mainly because I have no patience.

Nautilus weight assisted wide grip pull-ups, 4X12-8
Seated Hammer full-back rows, 4X12-8
Seated cable low back rows, 4X12-8
Cable triceps pushdown, 4X15-8
Seated Nautilus curls, 3X12-8
Seated Nautilus dips, 4X12-8
Standing dumbbell curls, 4X12-8
Nautilus forearm, 4X12
Nautilus crunches, 3X20

Used light weights on all exercises, concentrating on going slow and strict. My rear delts are pretty sore today, so I must have done something right.  ;)

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #860 on: November 05, 2015, 12:39:52 PM »
Steve is Quadzilla.. would never do a leg Day with him  ;D

You've got that right!

-Always wanted huge quads with that pronounced outside sweep. Alas, genetics failed me. The biggest (fattest) they've ever been is 27". I'd guess they are probably around 23" now, maybe less. It is good that I have narrow hips or I'd look like a skinny girl.  ;D

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
« Reply #861 on: November 05, 2015, 12:46:26 PM »
You've got that right!

-Always wanted huge quads with that pronounced outside sweep. Alas, genetics failed me. The biggest (fattest) they've ever been is 27". I'd guess they are probably around 23" now, maybe less. It is good that I have narrow hips or I'd look like a skinny girl.  ;D
I actually never wanted big thighs, which i have from nature. I was always more intrested in kicking and flexibility. I prefer front squats and Barbell hacks now.

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #862 on: November 05, 2015, 12:50:51 PM »
I actually never wanted big thighs, which i have from nature. I was always more intrested in kicking and flexibility. I prefer front squats and Barbell hacks now.

I've found hack squats can be brutal on one's knees, particularly when they (I) don't warm up first.

njflex

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • HEY PAISAN
« Reply #863 on: November 05, 2015, 12:52:34 PM »
I've found hack squats can be brutal on one's knees, particularly when they (I) don't warm up first.
they have a v squat I use its a hack/squat hybrid great machine...plate loaded

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
« Reply #864 on: November 05, 2015, 01:03:13 PM »
I did front squats the other Day and felt too much tension in my neck. I used the crossed arm position and it did not feel good or stable. I can use the clean position better. light weight but good. Slow deep reps.

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #865 on: November 05, 2015, 01:40:00 PM »

I suspect the 'V' squat machine you mention is like the one at my gym. It is a great machine. I use it for hack squats and for reverse hacks to work the hams. The pads on the machine are much more comfortable than a bar loaded with weights feels resting on my shoulders.

njflex

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • HEY PAISAN
« Reply #866 on: November 05, 2015, 01:54:35 PM »
I suspect the 'V' squat machine you mention is like the one at my gym. It is a great machine. I use it for hack squats and for reverse hacks to work the hams. The pads on the machine are much more comfortable than a bar loaded with weights feels resting on my shoulders.
THATS IT....LOVE IT MY MAX FEW YRS AGO WAS 7 PLATES A SIDE KNEE WRAPPED,,NOW I DO 5 PLATES SIDE NO WRAPS ,,5PLATES TO 7 IS LIKE THE EARTH IS CRASHING ON YOUR SHOULDERS...I''L DO 6 ONCE IN A WHILE...

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #867 on: November 05, 2015, 02:11:09 PM »
THATS IT....LOVE IT MY MAX FEW YRS AGO WAS 7 PLATES A SIDE KNEE WRAPPED,,NOW I DO 5 PLATES SIDE NO WRAPS ,,5PLATES TO 7 IS LIKE THE EARTH IS CRASHING ON YOUR SHOULDERS...I''L DO 6 ONCE IN A WHILE...

Does the V squat machine even hold seven plates per side? Who knew? The accompanying photo is pretty much what the machine at the gym looks like.  Seeing this photo, I guess it does hold a lot of plates per side. I'll have to compare this one to the one at the gym.

njflex

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • HEY PAISAN
« Reply #868 on: November 05, 2015, 02:15:19 PM »
Does the V squat machine even hold seven plates per side? Who knew? The accompanying photo is pretty much what the machine at the gym looks like.  Seeing this photo, I guess it does hold a lot of plates per side. I'll have to compare this one to the one at the gym.
NO THATS A STANDARD HACK,,HAMMER V SQUAT HAD LARGE SHOULDER PADS ,YOUR STANDING UPRIGHT ON A LARGE PLATE FOR FEET YOU CAN PUT FEET LOWER,MIDDLE OR HIGH UP THE PLATE IS ANGLED BUT DOES NOT HAVE ADJUSTMENT TO RAISE FEET OR LOWER ITS PRESET.THE PLATES LOAD ON THE SIDES AND LOW..

njflex

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • HEY PAISAN
« Reply #869 on: November 06, 2015, 03:43:42 PM »
delts
shoulder press machine inner grip 'stack version'x4
side cable laterals x4
front raise x3 25-35,,pulled this out for wise bber back in late 80's showed us to do fr raise as you get towards top cross arm over towards other delt not all the way but i direction
supersetted rear delt cable rope to face with reverse rear delt on pec deck x4

bis
curls 75/85/95/95
inc curls 30/35/35
seated padded curls x3
seated rope hammer curls on low pulley portion for low rows x3

forearms
reverse wrist curls x3
cable fr wrist curls x3

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #870 on: November 08, 2015, 12:02:55 PM »
Took a well deserved week off from training. Since July I rarely missed a workout so I had a good run. Tomorrow it's back to the iron!

njflex

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • HEY PAISAN
« Reply #871 on: November 08, 2015, 04:25:14 PM »
Took a well deserved week off from training. Since July I rarely missed a workout so I had a good run. Tomorrow it's back to the iron!
8) rich..good to get back after break,,

njflex

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • HEY PAISAN
« Reply #872 on: November 08, 2015, 04:33:48 PM »
back to harder leg training,,i sore nicely not crippled lol,,,

extensions 1st gets knees warm,,175/190/220/235/250 sets 12
leg press 4 plates per side/5/6/7 7 felt heavy i still pulled 10 reps but i was pumped and maxxed rep wise.
v squat hammer machine 3 /4/5 plates per side,,10/10/8
stair lunged 35 lb kettle ball walked 1st every other step run down turn around repeat 2 rounds of these

hams
standing leg curl 60/70/90 sets 10
stiff legged month and some days since these 3 sets 135 x12 reps was good finish..

calves seated calf raises 2.5 plates/3 plates/3.5 /drop to finish 3 ties pulled 25 plate each drop 3.5 to 2.5 plates

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
« Reply #873 on: November 09, 2015, 01:58:27 AM »
back to harder leg training,,i sore nicely not crippled lol,,,

extensions 1st gets knees warm,,175/190/220/235/250 sets 12
leg press 4 plates per side/5/6/7 7 felt heavy i still pulled 10 reps but i was pumped and maxxed rep wise.
v squat hammer machine 3 /4/5 plates per side,,10/10/8
stair lunged 35 lb kettle ball walked 1st every other step run down turn around repeat 2 rounds of these

hams
standing leg curl 60/70/90 sets 10
stiff legged month and some days since these 3 sets 135 x12 reps was good finish..

calves seated calf raises 2.5 plates/3 plates/3.5 /drop to finish 3 ties pulled 25 plate each drop 3.5 to 2.5 plates
Pump it up Stevo... ;D well after a weekend off i will go for a run later through the Forest.

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #874 on: November 09, 2015, 07:48:41 AM »
Trained back and chest. I know my method of training is a broken record. Maybe you can't teach an old dog new tricks. Using lower weights to break into training after a week off.

Pull ups 8-6-3. (Pulled all the way up until my elbows were completely down back  to dead hang)
Seated cable rows with V handle 2 x 12 160lbs
Dumbbell row with leg on bench 2 x 8 80lbs. (All the way up and down)
Reverse grip pull downs 2 x 10

Dumbbell flat bench 2 x 8 70lbs (all the way down)
Incline dumbbell bench 2 x 8
Flat flies 2 x 10 45lbs
Push ups 20 and 14 reps

Deadlifts 2 x 4 285lbs then 1 x 1 315lbs ( I put deadlifts last so I am completely warmed up and fatigued so a lower weight feels heavy.)
lower back hyper extensions 2 x 12 25lb plate behind my head. Used old school horizontal back extension bench not the 45 degree one that every one is using)

weighted crunches 1 x 50 (held a 5lbs plate behind my head. Truth be told I don't think crunches are a great ab exercise.  I feel more from a wheel roll out and common situps. 

Hopefully next week I will up the weight and be back in the groove.