Author Topic: Over 45 training  (Read 410353 times)

njflex

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • HEY PAISAN
Re: Over 45 training
« Reply #900 on: November 14, 2015, 08:04:26 AM »
Remember there is a reason for pain, it is one of the ways your body protects itself. There is no glory in working through pain and ending up with an injury that takes you down worse.
agree I am very cautious last few yrs since I got pinched nerve in rear back that took me down like this ,,that was bad too and took forever to get back to chest training 100pct...

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
« Reply #901 on: November 14, 2015, 10:13:27 AM »
agree I am very cautious last few yrs since I got pinched nerve in rear back that took me down like this ,,that was bad too and took forever to get back to chest training 100pct...
yes itīs taking me a long time to get better... pressing wise.

njflex

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • HEY PAISAN
« Reply #902 on: November 14, 2015, 10:26:46 AM »
yes itīs taking me a long time to get better... pressing wise.
RIGHT NOW IM SCREWED ,I CANNOT LAY DOWN ON MY BACK THE SHOULDER WHEN IT'S LYING FLAT PAIN IS AT A 10...I HAVE TO ROLLOVER TO MY SIDE ASAP..THEN I'M FINE ,SLEEP LIKE A BABY ,,,

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
« Reply #903 on: November 14, 2015, 10:35:33 AM »
RIGHT NOW IM SCREWED ,I CANNOT LAY DOWN ON MY BACK THE SHOULDER WHEN IT'S LYING FLAT PAIN IS AT A 10...I HAVE TO ROLLOVER TO MY SIDE ASAP..THEN I'M FINE ,SLEEP LIKE A BABY ,,,
at least you can get some sleep.. we are just getting old Man... :'(  It will get Better ! ;D

njflex

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • HEY PAISAN
« Reply #904 on: November 14, 2015, 10:46:51 AM »
at least you can get some sleep.. we are just getting old Man... :'(  It will get Better ! ;D
i'm doing it all massage/ice,electric pads/my new friend tiger balm'chinese'crap lol...smells good.

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #905 on: November 14, 2015, 01:33:39 PM »
at least you can get some sleep.. we are just getting old Man... :'(  It will get Better ! ;D

Careful with the getting old comments. You don't want to setup a self fulfilling prophesy. When doing crunches this morning, I noticed I cannot get the back of my head to lay flat on the floor. It's gotta be because of years of slouching. Do you think I could slowly stretch my spine back into shape? I say slowly because when I tried to push it this morning, my back and neck hurt like a son-of-a-bitch.

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
« Reply #906 on: November 14, 2015, 01:51:56 PM »
Careful with the getting old comments. You don't want to setup a self fulfilling prophesy. When doing crunches this morning, I noticed I cannot get the back of my head to lay flat on the floor. It's gotta be because of years of slouching. Do you think I could slowly stretch my spine back into shape? I say slowly because when I tried to push it this morning, my back and neck hurt like a son-of-a-bitch.
well a Doctor here told me to stretch my neck when lying on my back in bed slowly pushing/stretching my head upwards and towards the pillow. also strengthens the muscles.

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #907 on: November 14, 2015, 02:36:19 PM »
I deny that I'm aging rationalizing away that I can still do some things I did in my youth. Truth be told I just had some pictures of myself from a family event and while I look great for my age my hair is all grey and my youthful appearance I always took for granted is gone.

As we age we are treading thin ice with injury. Injury prevention should be a priority but I would guess we all push our self into the red zone. My head says I should be careful with the weights but my ego says full stream ahead. I always think back to an interview with Bill Pearl. I bet I still have it buried in my pile of magazines in my basement. He said when he hit 55 he stop caring about the weight on the bar.  Dave Draper in his latest book says essentially the same about hitting 55. Dave said in effect at 55 your best days are behind you in the weight room.

I guess I'm trying to convey is that what good is training with abandon when you are skating on thin ice with excessive weight.  Blowing out a knee or a shoulder past 55 will mean there is a possibility your body can't repair it no matter what operation you have. 

I am a broken record with my training. Generally one or two work sets.  I keep telling my self it's time to train with moderate weights with a short amount of rest between sets with higher sets but I still want to handle reasonable weights to satisfy my ego.

No one gets out alive. I worked with a guy I really respect. He is close to 60. He said training should be thought of as a marathon and not a sprint.

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
« Reply #908 on: November 14, 2015, 03:12:36 PM »
I deny that I'm aging rationalizing away that I can still do some things I did in my youth. Truth be told I just had some pictures of myself from a family event and while I look great for my age my hair is all grey and my youthful appearance I always took for granted is gone.

As we age we are treading thin ice with injury. Injury prevention should be a priority but I would guess we all push our self into the red zone. My head says I should be careful with the weights but my ego says full stream ahead. I always think back to an interview with Bill Pearl. I bet I still have it buried in my pile of magazines in my basement. He said when he hit 55 he stop caring about the weight on the bar.  Dave Draper in his latest book says essentially the same about hitting 55. Dave said in effect at 55 your best days are behind you in the weight room.

I guess I'm trying to convey is that what good is training with abandon when you are skating on thin ice with excessive weight.  Blowing out a knee or a shoulder past 55 will mean there is a possibility your body can't repair it no matter what operation you have. 

I am a broken record with my training. Generally one or two work sets.  I keep telling my self it's time to train with moderate weights with a short amount of rest between sets with higher sets but I still want to handle reasonable weights to satisfy my ego.

No one gets out alive. I worked with a guy I really respect. He is close to 60. He said training should be thought of as a marathon and not a sprint.
Well put Rich ... Although Pearl was in Great shape at 56 and a few years beyond that.

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #909 on: November 14, 2015, 03:25:59 PM »
Well put Rich ... Although Pearl was in Great shape at 56 and a few years beyond that.

True but he wasn't doing 600lbs deadlifts and 300lbs shoulder presses like he did in his youth. He just trained.

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
« Reply #910 on: November 14, 2015, 03:34:04 PM »
True but he wasn't doing 600lbs deadlifts and 300lbs shoulder presses like he did in his youth. He just trained.
well i think my years of ego lifting are gone now... very moderate weight and volume again when fully fit.

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #911 on: November 14, 2015, 06:05:47 PM »

Many of us think we look youthful and we may. It can be hard to accept otherwise because folks keep telling us we look so young. The truth is in the mirror, we just don't want to see it. For me the shocker is photos. It is rare that I look good in photos. That's always been the case since puberty. It is harder to make an honest assessment when looking in the mirror, I think. My guess is that I look better when animated, mainly because the happy side of my personality shows more.

Today at the gym, I noticed that as thin as I am now, there's the tiniest fat roll (thick skin, if you like) around my waist. Once I noticed it, I couldn't stop checking it out in hopes that seeing it was just a fluke and hoping it went away, LOL.

I disagree that anyone's best days are behind them in the weight room. Everyday that you work out is a great day. It's much better than being too ill, too lazy or too tired to exercise. For me today was a better day than yesterday. Yesterday I caved to my calves being sore and having stressed my inguinal ligament so I didn't go to the gym. Today I said, "fuck it" and I worked out. See how that works?

I have friends at the gym who are 80 years old and still hitting the weights. They may not look like they once did or lift like they once could, but they are still showing up and that's really something. They are my real idols.

I disagree with Dave Draper, our best days are today and all those ahead of us. Think about  it.

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #912 on: November 14, 2015, 06:23:15 PM »
Today's workout was a snap. I was done in 30 minutes. Still not doing cardio though. Might add that in next week or the week after.

All I worked was shoulders and abs....so easy.

Isolateral overhead shoulder presses, 4X10-6 (used the furthest back hand grips)
Seated side laterals, 4X10-6
Bent laterals, 3X8-6 (did these on the peck fly machine sitting backwards)
Shrugs, 3x8-6
Crunches, 2X25
Back raises, 2X15 (supposed to do 25 but they make me dizzy)

I have a question about side laterals. Do you all think it is better to do them with your arms bent or with them straight but not locked out?

I realize now that I was being a wus yesterday. This was the easiest routine this week. There was not reason to put it off.

njflex

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • HEY PAISAN
« Reply #913 on: November 14, 2015, 07:16:31 PM »
Today's workout was a snap. I was done in 30 minutes. Still not doing cardio though. Might add that in next week or the week after.

All I worked was shoulders and abs....so easy.

Isolateral overhead shoulder presses, 4X10-6 (used the furthest back hand grips)
Seated side laterals, 4X10-6
Bent laterals, 3X8-6 (did these on the peck fly machine sitting backwards)
Shrugs, 3x8-6
Crunches, 2X25
Back raises, 2X15 (supposed to do 25 but they make me dizzy)

I have a question about side laterals. Do you all think it is better to do them with your arms bent or with them straight but not locked out?

I realize now that I was being a wus yesterday. This was the easiest routine this week. There was not reason to put it off.

side laterals both ways workk,its matter comfort and what works your muscle the best...

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #914 on: November 14, 2015, 07:57:43 PM »
side laterals both ways workk,its matter comfort and what works your muscle the best...

Thanks. Today, I did all but the first set with elbows bent. Maybe it's because that is something different for me, but it seems less comfortable. If you saw my side delts, you'd know that nothing seems to work the way I'd like. LOL.

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #915 on: November 14, 2015, 08:03:56 PM »
Thanks. Today, I did all but the first set with elbows bent. Maybe it's because that is something different for me, but it seems less comfortable. If you saw my side delts, you'd know that nothing seems to work the way I'd like. LOL.

I see all variations from completely straight arms to having them very bent. Naturally less leverage is against the delt muscle the more you have your arms bent. I do it middle of the road. I try to have the arms extended but not locked.

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #916 on: November 14, 2015, 08:57:56 PM »
I see all variations from completely straight arms to having them very bent. Naturally less leverage is against the delt muscle the more you have your arms bent. I do it middle of the road. I try to have the arms extended but not locked.

That's were I was and where I will be with this exercise.

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
« Reply #917 on: November 15, 2015, 03:01:50 AM »
I like doing one arm training too for Delts. Hold on to an upright and concentrate on one arm...i like this too with DB press for Delts

chaos

• Getbig V
  • Ron "There is no freedom of speech here" Avidan
« Reply #918 on: November 15, 2015, 09:06:58 AM »
All this old guy talk.... :(
I'm competing next June in a deadlift comp and hoping to hit close to 700. :D
Liar!!!!Filt!!!!

njflex

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • HEY PAISAN
« Reply #919 on: November 15, 2015, 04:05:55 PM »
leg day...this i can still go full on until shoulder gets batter,,i also raked leaves this did not bother shoulder but lifting   :-\....we do close to 30 bags in falltime...

quads did vsquat started plate a side x15,2x12,,,worked sets 3/4/5 plates side 12/10/10
lying sled press 'stack'machine 180/200/220/240
extensions 205/220/220/235

hams
standing leg curls  single leg 60/80/90 sets 10
sldl 135/185/210/225

calves
standing calf raise 160/180/200...15/12/12
seated calf raises 3 plates ,3.5/3.5 plates

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #920 on: November 15, 2015, 04:22:59 PM »
All this old guy talk.... :(
I'm competing next June in a deadlift comp and hoping to hit close to 700. :D

Good for you "old guy."

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #921 on: November 15, 2015, 04:28:07 PM »
leg day...this i can still go full on until shoulder gets batter,,i also raked leaves this did not bother shoulder but lifting   :-\....we do close to 30 bags in falltime...

quads did vsquat started plate a side x15,2x12,,,worked sets 3/4/5 plates side 12/10/10
lying sled press 'stack'machine 180/200/220/240
extensions 205/220/220/235

hams
standing leg curls  single leg 60/80/90 sets 10
sldl 135/185/210/225

calves
standing calf raise 160/180/200...15/12/12
seated calf raises 3 plates ,3.5/3.5 plates

Only 30 bags? Maybe I should pay attention to how many yard debris containers I put and how many extra containers and bags go out with it. All I know is the recycle costs go up during this time of year. I was thinking that it might be less expensive to hire a crew to take care of my fall clean-up that way it's done for me and they take the leaves with them when they go.

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #922 on: November 16, 2015, 07:10:19 AM »
I grind up the leaves with a vacuum type machine.  I also don't do leaves until the spring. By then the majority is gone.  I live in south Jersey where the trees are half ever greens and the other oaks.  I guess I don't get the amount you guys get.

Chest and bicep day:

Dumbbell flat bench 1 x 8 80 lbs. (all the way down)
Incline dumbbell bench 1 x 8 70lbs (again all the way down)
Flat flies 1 x 12 48lbs (immediately followed by push ups)
Push ups 2 x 23-14 reps

EZ curl 1 x 12 95 lbs.
Alternate dumbbell curls 2 x 43 lbs. (When you see odd weight dumbbells it's something I can do in my gym.)
rope bicep curl 1x15 60 lbs.
Concentration dumbbell curl 1x13 20lbs (slow controlled arm on inside thigh)

forearm wrist curl 1 x 27 90 lbs
reverse wrist extension using a D.A.R.T 1 x 20 7.5 lbs

Hanging leg raise 1 x 20 (used 2.5 sand ankle weights)
wheel roll out 1 x 20

Ivanko grippers 2 x 20

Followed by a 2 mile run. Now work. I hate work but I like the pay check.

njflex

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • HEY PAISAN
« Reply #923 on: November 16, 2015, 07:25:43 AM »
I grind up the leaves with vacuum type machine.  I also don't do leaves until the spring. By then the majority is gone.  I live in south Jersey where the trees are half ever greens and the other oaks.  I guess I don't get the amount you guys get.

Chest and bicep day:

Dumbbell flat bench 1 x 8 80 lbs. (all the way down)
Incline dumbbell bench 1 x 8 70lbs (again all the way down)
Flat flies 1 x 12 48lbs (immediately followed by push ups)
Push ups 2 x 23-14 reps

EZ curl 1 x 12 95 lbs.
Alternate dumbbell curls 2 x 43 lbs. (When you see odd weight dumbbells it's something I can do in my gym.)
rope bicep curl 1x15 60 lbs.
Concentration dumbbell curl 1x13 20lbs (slow controlled arm on inside thigh)

forearm wrist curl 1 x 27 90 lbs
reverse wrist extension using a D.A.R.T 1 x 20 7.5 lbs

Hanging leg raise 1 x 20 (used 2.5 sand ankle weights)
wheel roll out 1 x 20

Ivanko grippers 2 x 20

Followed by a 2 mile run. Now work. I hate work but I like the pay check.

THOUGHT YOU ADDING SETS'VOLUME'NOW?

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #924 on: November 16, 2015, 08:04:45 AM »
THOUGHT YOU ADDING SETS'VOLUME'NOW?

I am but just one more week of low sets. Saw a picture of myself at a family event and thought my face looked puffy. LOL. Just want to do a quick routine and go for a run as much as I can. If my hurting body allows it I am going to try to get 5 to 6 runs in this week. I will get to volume shortly.   :)