Author Topic: Over 45 training  (Read 410362 times)

njflex

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • HEY PAISAN
Re: Over 45 training
« Reply #1050 on: December 15, 2015, 10:38:01 AM »
still managing around sore shoulder,getting stronger each week but still some pain after certain days..

chest..sticking with supersetting to get pump as opposed to moving weight,,

situp chest press with cable crossovers x4 75/90/100/110 on the press hey I wasn't able to move it an inch a month ago ,,,crossovers 50 lbs

cable press x3 like a crossover but you tuck elbows close to sides and 'punch foward'like a boxer with both hands

inc flyes ,,these improved  25/30/35 's yeah,,,

inc press ,,theses improved rom and strength 25 a side,35 side,35 and 5 and finished 135  8)... :D

pushups 15/15/20 these are pain free ,,weird..

triceps crazy pump..

giant sets x4 as follows,,seated tricep extension,rope pushdowns,reverse grip underhand pushdowns,machine dips,,,10 reps per ,,dip machine is work in progress 'due to the angle shoulder is put on to do a dip,,,got up to 90 lbs 'I did 210 lol'usually

abs

and my new friend the 'treadmill'

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
« Reply #1051 on: December 15, 2015, 10:46:07 AM »
still managing around sore shoulder,getting stronger each week but still some pain after certain days..

chest..sticking with supersetting to get pump as opposed to moving weight,,

situp chest press with cable crossovers x4 75/90/100/110 on the press hey I wasn't able to move it an inch a month ago ,,,crossovers 50 lbs

cable press x3 like a crossover but you tuck elbows close to sides and 'punch foward'like a boxer with both hands

inc flyes ,,these improved  25/30/35 's yeah,,,

inc press ,,theses improved rom and strength 25 a side,35 side,35 and 5 and finished 135  8)... :D

pushups 15/15/20 these are pain free ,,weird..

triceps crazy pump..

giant sets x4 as follows,,seated tricep extension,rope pushdowns,reverse grip underhand pushdowns,machine dips,,,10 reps per ,,dip machine is work in progress 'due to the angle shoulder is put on to do a dip,,,got up to 90 lbs 'I did 210 lol'usually

abs

and my new friend the 'treadmill'
Great that things are slowly getting better .. forget the treadmill run outside ;D. I am really getting back into Wing Tzun at the moment and the forms are great for my shoulder neck strength.

njflex

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • HEY PAISAN
« Reply #1052 on: December 15, 2015, 12:34:17 PM »
thanks Donny was going slow,seems last 2 wks its going better strength/mobility/rom....lets get this thread started its 3 men again we are down 1  :-\..miss rich here,,

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #1053 on: December 15, 2015, 08:24:29 PM »
Missed the daily report yesterday, but not the workout. I worked arms with some variances in my usual routine. This was not due to working around soreness or an injury. It was just to keep my workouts fresh. The workout went well. I could swear my arms are starting to grow again.... then again, it might be wishful thinking.  ::)

Today I worked hams and calves. -Followed the usual routine and added some resistance. I'm at the point were I'll need to be creative because I cannot add resistance every week without overdoing it and losing out on form.

I strongly suspect that I need to start doing cardio again. The issue with sciatica on the right side has reared its ugly head. My right foot is going numb again when I walk any distance. Lot's of time on the treadmill was helpful in the past. Hope it is again.

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
« Reply #1054 on: December 16, 2015, 01:50:26 AM »
thanks Donny was going slow,seems last 2 wks its going better strength/mobility/rom....lets get this thread started its 3 men again we are down 1  :-\..miss rich here,,
I am going to Email Rich later see what the score is. Today i will do a full Body workout with a mixture of Barbell and Bodyweight exercises. Going to use the Leg press as Squats are a bit hard for my neck at the moment. Finish off my legs with free hand squats Jay Style..

njflex

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • HEY PAISAN
« Reply #1055 on: December 17, 2015, 07:00:45 AM »
back/traps/abs home workout

front and rear pulldowns done together 6 reps each x4
low cable rows standing pulled bottom to waist x3
single arm side pulldowns cable x3
pullovers x3
standing midlevel pulls to chest for upper rear back x3

cable underhanded shrugs x4
db rear shrugs x4

abs
leg raises on incline x4
crunches x4

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
« Reply #1056 on: December 17, 2015, 07:03:42 AM »
back/traps/abs home workout

front and rear pulldowns done together 6 reps each x4
low cable rows standing pulled bottom to waist x3
single arm side pulldowns cable x3
pullovers x3
standing midlevel pulls to chest for upper rear back x3

cable underhanded shrugs x4
db rear shrugs x4

abs
leg raises on incline x4
crunches x4

A lot of cable work, PEAK CONTRACTION  ;D

njflex

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • HEY PAISAN
« Reply #1057 on: December 17, 2015, 09:18:52 AM »
A lot of cable work, PEAK CONTRACTION  ;D
yeah lol..
i have db's up to 60 thats not enough for 1 arm rows unless a triset,,i do mostly cables at home :-\,,after new yr looking to add some stuff..small and messy basement..

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
« Reply #1058 on: December 17, 2015, 09:32:33 AM »
yeah lol..
i have db's up to 60 thats not enough for 1 arm rows unless a triset,,i do mostly cables at home :-\,,after new yr looking to add some stuff..small and messy basement..
Decent Barbell and weight and you are set to go. Squat rack or Squat stands are perfect. remember one place i lived i did chins using water pipes running through my Basement.

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #1059 on: December 17, 2015, 01:00:38 PM »
Decent Barbell and weight and you are set to go. Squat rack or Squat stands are perfect. remember one place i lived i did chins using water pipes running through my Basement.

It's lucky you didn't break them.

njflex

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • HEY PAISAN
« Reply #1060 on: December 17, 2015, 08:06:37 PM »
have a nice bench that does all angles,,,push up handles...curl bar 15/20/30/45/50/60 dbs..need to fill in dbls..

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #1061 on: December 17, 2015, 09:45:06 PM »
We lived in a house with a basement for about 15 years. I worked out in that basement frequently. The ceiling was possibly a little over 6'. All overhead lifts had to be done sitting down. The equipment I had was cheap stuff, as in the plates were plastic covered concrete. I actually made some decent gains while working out using this junk.

The above being said, today's back workout utilized a lot of machines with the exception of the bent over dumbbell rows. I was feeling strong so I increased to resistance on every exercise.

On a side note, I hate Christmas traffic! It took me twice as long as usual to drive to the gym. Tomorrow, I plan to go in the late morning. This is both to avoid traffic and because the gym is closing early for their staff Christmas party.

njflex

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • HEY PAISAN
« Reply #1062 on: December 18, 2015, 10:35:26 AM »
DELT/BI/FORARMS

FRONT PRESS...I LIKE PRESSES I'M STILL SORE ON THESE BUT TRYING TO 'PUSH'THROUGH .DID 4 X GOT UP TO A 35 A SIDE..NOT THE BEST MOVEMENT TO HEAL ON ..

SIDE RAISE WITH FRONT RAISE ...THESES ARE FINE NOW 20/20/25/25 DBS ON THESE

CABLE REAR RAISE SINGLE ARM X2 DOUBLE ARM X2

CABLE UPRIGHTS X3

BI'S
SEATED CURL MACHINE X4 125/135/140/145
ALT DB CURLS 30/35/40
CABLE CURLS X3
CONCENTRATION CURL ON KNEE DB 30/35/40

FOREARMS
CABLE REVERSE WRIST CURL BEHIND BACK X4
WRIST CURLS CABLE ON KNEED ROLL WRISTS UPX4

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #1063 on: December 19, 2015, 12:23:57 AM »
Hit the gym about two hours earlier than usual. Not much traffic. Maybe I should make 2:00 p.m. my regular workout time.

Worked delts, traps and abs. Followed the routine as written almost to a T when it came to reps and sets. Upped the resistance on every exercise. Worked out fast, like with almost no rest between sets. I was in and out in :45.

It might just be me being delusional, but the body I see in the mirror is changing for the better.

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
« Reply #1064 on: December 19, 2015, 02:48:04 AM »
Hit the gym about two hours earlier than usual. Not much traffic. Maybe I should make 2:00 p.m. my regular workout time.

Worked delts, traps and abs. Followed the routine as written almost to a T when it came to reps and sets. Upped the resistance on every exercise. Worked out fast, like with almost no rest between sets. I was in and out in :45.

It might just be me being delusional, but the body I see in the mirror is changing for the better.
last line made me laugh... I just went for a run last night. very mild at the moment for the time of year. Just wore a t shirt, hoodie, no hat or gloves. normally at this time of year itīs freezing outside. No white Xmas this Year.

njflex

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • HEY PAISAN
« Reply #1065 on: December 19, 2015, 08:22:17 AM »
last line made me laugh... I just went for a run last night. very mild at the moment for the time of year. Just wore a t shirt, hoodie, no hat or gloves. normally at this time of year itīs freezing outside. No white Xmas this Year.
its cold here sorta,,way above normal temps though...not winter/xmas like yet ,,

legs ..pushed some heavy poundages/1 hr time ..

leg press2plates side warm ups x15..4 plates x12..6x12/7x10,8x5 very heavy
v squat hammer,,,3 plates x12,4 plates and 25x10.5 plates x10,5 plates and 25 for 8,,again pushed a bit more ..
walking lunges x2 up gym foor 45 kettles
extensions 205,220,235 12 reps per

hams..10-12 rep
single leg standing curl 70/80/90
seated leg curl 165 /180/195

standing calf raise
200x12,220 x4 8-10

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #1066 on: December 19, 2015, 08:29:29 AM »
Had a good week of training. Shoulder problems are flaring up again. I think I'm tracing it to power cleans. They are really getting jammed up racking the weight.

I told a 29 year old guy at work that I'm having some age related training problems and his response was, "You're not that old. No excuse."  Want to punch that idiot in the face but what he doesn't know what he doesn't know. I'm in better shape than he is at 29 and I bet when he is 56 he will be a mess.

I think guys that aren't into training have a delusion about what they can do with no prior parameters to refer to. What I mean is how do you measure aging if you have no record of a physical achievements. What did you deadlift at 20 and what do you do at 60 years of age? How fast can you run a 5k at 20 and what can you do 30 years later? If you have zero knowledge then it's easy to get delusional thinking there is no difference.

Yesterday I trained delt and arms:  I tried the old press behind the neck going all the way down to the traps.  My shoulder screamed after the first set so I stopped. Going to really make an effort not to attempt exercises that are no good for me anymore. The press behind the neck was one of my favorite exercises but it's unhealthy for me now. Going to be more aware that I shouldn't take chances regarding exercise selection.  I like to change things up but if an exercise is bad for a joint I'm eliminating it.  

List of exercises I'm going to try to never do again. The reason I said try is that after months I forget that it aggravated me and sometimes I think I can use it again.

1. Press behind the neck. Going to use the military and dumbbells now.

2. Bench press. One shoulder really protests. Dumbbells benches from now on.

3. Conventional pull ups. Going to use revolving D handles so my hands can rotate. So much easier on the joints. It's a lot tougher than using a bar to chin too.

4. Straight bar curls. Another thing that causes my right shoulder to scream. Maybe it's because of the bicep rupture I had repaired years back is causing the problem. EZ bar curls feel so much better.

5. Alternate grip deadlifts. Going to use the over double hand grip so the supinated grip hand isn't at risk for bicep blow out. Also I never ripped the bar off the floor like most people do. I just build up pressure until the bar rises off the floor. At this age trying to pop it off the floor explosively is asking for an injury.

6. Power cleans will be replaced with the clean and press for higher reps like 6 instead of the 3 rep sets I did my whole life. I won't clean a weight I can't press so that will keep the weight down.

There are others.  

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #1067 on: December 19, 2015, 12:33:14 PM »

Hmm....didn't your "junk get kind of cold"? From you post, one might assume your lower half was naked.  ;D

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
« Reply #1068 on: December 20, 2015, 02:11:33 AM »
Hmm....didn't your "junk get kind of cold"? From you post, one might assume your lower half was naked.  ;D
no donīt want to spend Xmas in Jail.. but joking aside a few years ago the winters could be severe here. you had to definitely watch your Family Jewels ;D.

njflex

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • HEY PAISAN
« Reply #1069 on: December 20, 2015, 06:54:21 AM »
day off very sore from leg day..all around top to bottom...

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #1070 on: December 20, 2015, 01:20:28 PM »
day off very sore from leg day..all around top to bottom...

This does it! I am going to take the day off too. Nothing is sore though.

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
« Reply #1071 on: December 21, 2015, 04:12:20 AM »
Today a Dumbbell only workout at Home.

Warm up then..

Holding onto an upright 1 arm DB press 10 reps without rest swap arms and continued till i could only do 3-4 reps.

DB squats with Bells in the clean position/upper chest 3x10 (neck felt OK)

1 set of max Push ups then without pause 3x10 DB flys

bent over laterals 3x10

alternate DB 1 arm curl holding onto upright swapping arms without pause for 5 sets max reps

Triceps extension/stretch with 1 DB  (2 handed) behind head  4x8-10

finished off with some crunches on the floor. simple workout which is fast.

njflex

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • HEY PAISAN
« Reply #1072 on: December 21, 2015, 05:35:04 AM »
Today a Dumbbell only workout at Home.

Warm up then..

Holding onto an upright 1 arm DB press 10 reps without rest swap arms and continued till i could only do 3-4 reps.

DB squats with Bells in the clean position/upper chest 3x10 (neck felt OK)

1 set of max Push ups then without pause 3x10 DB flys

bent over laterals 3x10

alternate DB 1 arm curl holding onto upright swapping arms without pause for 5 sets max reps

Triceps extension/stretch with 1 DB  (2 handed) behind head  4x8-10

finished off with some crunches on the floor. simple workout which is fast.
8),,just do what you can do....

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
« Reply #1073 on: December 21, 2015, 05:42:49 AM »
8),,just do what you can do....
Itīs all a Man can do Steve.. ;)

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #1074 on: December 21, 2015, 03:26:10 PM »
Chest:

Dumbbell flat bench 2 x 8 80lbs (all the way down)
Incline dumbbell bench 2 x 8 65lbs (it was all I could use with my shoulder)
Flat flies 2 x 10 45lbs
Push ups 2 x max

Abs: One giant set.
1.Hanging leg raise
2.Incline sit ups
3. ab wheel roll out
4. feet up weighted crunch
5. machine crunch

Cardio: Ran 2 miles.  Tried to kick in the final 100 yards and my Achilles protested. 

Any suggestions on how to combine lifting with running?  I'm using this split for now. Monday-chest, Tuesday-back, Wednesday-off, Thursday-legs, Friday-delt and arms with weekends off. I try but don't always succeed with running Monday, Wednesday, Friday and either Saturday or Sunday. Aiming to get 4 cardio days in but sometimes it doesn't work out like last week. I only got two cardio days in.