Author Topic: Over 45 training  (Read 410378 times)

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
Re: Over 45 training
« Reply #1275 on: February 03, 2016, 11:35:19 PM »
Back

Medium grip pull-ups; 10, 8, 6, 4
Bench rows; 8, 6, 4
ISO lateral low rows; 6, 4
ISO Lateral under hand pull downs; 6, 4
One arm bent over dumbbell rows; 6, 4
Nautilus low back; 2 X 20

-Used close to max resistance on all movements except for the last one. This routine has fewer reps while using max weight. It is surprisingly effective.

I tried to talk myself out of going to the gym tonight because I was having spasms in my mid-back, right side and near the spine. The talk didn't work. I cannot say working out healed my back, but I soldiered through. Right now I'm not having a problem with my back.

My lats actually show. Yahoo!

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
« Reply #1276 on: February 04, 2016, 03:27:04 AM »
well...well...well.... things are looking up. I phoned the Doc and my new scan shows no Herniated Disc but some kind of pressure there on my nerves. I only got a quick answer on the phone so canīt be more specific :). OK it was another Doctor who did the MRI so maybe it has got better or he has another opinion. i definitely feel stronger and better so i think this just goes to show the power of the Dumbbell  :D. i think i made the right decision not to operate. I will get my new Disc with pictures and my old Disc and go and see the surgeon again and ask his opinion.

njflex

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • HEY PAISAN
« Reply #1277 on: February 04, 2016, 05:06:24 AM »
well...well...well.... things are looking up. I phoned the Doc and my new scan shows no Herniated Disc but some kind of pressure there on my nerves. I only got a quick answer on the phone so canīt be more specific :). OK it was another Doctor who did the MRI so maybe it has got better or he has another opinion. i definitely feel stronger and better so i think this just goes to show the power of the Dumbbell  :D. i think i made the right decision not to operate. I will get my new Disc with pictures and my old Disc and go and see the surgeon again and ask his opinion.
dude long road i'm glad for you that things have shown improvement.keep focused and watch your limitations on what works and not...

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
« Reply #1278 on: February 04, 2016, 05:09:04 AM »
dude long road i'm glad for you that things have shown improvement.keep focused and watch your limitations on what works and not...
LIGHTWEIGHT BABY ! ;D

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #1279 on: February 04, 2016, 08:21:09 AM »
Donny, glad you're moving forward.  Injuries are so frustrating and hard not only on the body but the mind.

Today was a cardio day. Trying to lift a day and run a day. I did 8 x 440 yards (one lap).  The rest interval was a fast walk 3.8 MPH for 220 yards (half a lap). Warm up cool and cool down is one lap at 3.8MPH
1 x one lap at 8:00 minute pace or 7.5 MPH
1 x one lap at 7:30 minute pace or 8.0 MPH
1 x one lap at 7:00 minute pace or 8.6 MPH
1 x one lap at 6:27 minute pace or 9.3 MPH

Finished with two 3 minute rounds on the heavy bag.

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
« Reply #1280 on: February 05, 2016, 01:44:02 AM »
Donny, glad you're moving forward.  Injuries are so frustrating and hard not only on the body but the mind.

Today was a cardio day. Trying to lift a day and run a day. I did 8 x 440 yards (one lap).  The rest interval was a fast walk 3.8 MPH for 220 yards (half a lap). Warm up cool and cool down is one lap at 3.8MPH

Finished with two 3 minute rounds on the heavy bag.

Thank you Rich... :)

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #1281 on: February 05, 2016, 01:48:45 AM »
Good news Donny. You've managed to exercise throughout this hiccup which says a lot about the benefits of exercise. Keep up the good work!

I made a fairly last minute decision to take a day off from the gym. Around 4:30 or 5:00 p.m. for the last several days I have felt queasy. Don't know what is causing this, but it put me in a funk today. I'll work delts and traps tomorrow.

Had a great lunch with a very old friend today. We are going to try to get together more often. He's kind of eccentric, but he's still good people.

When John was in his 20's and 30's he was on top of all the latest technology and then something happened in the 1990's which changed that. Now he believes the old tube TV's are better than flat screen ones, Windows 98 was much better than Windows 10 and so on. He has always had a bunch of antique cars, which he maintains mechanically, but they all look like rust buckets. He has a mid 70's Chrysler Imperial, a early 70's Chevy Nova, a Jeep Wrangler of undetermined age and the Ford Windstar van he bought from Xerox when worked for them.

njflex

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • HEY PAISAN
« Reply #1282 on: February 05, 2016, 07:17:58 AM »
delts.bi/forearms

I need a lot of warmups now and I used to just go in and start rocking,now I need warmups  :-\ :P

I decided to do side laterals 1st and funny I am almost back to full capacity here,,,i warmed with 10's,20's for 15..i worked 25/30/30 heavier sets
I still find it hard to believe people 'drug pros swinging'can do 50/80lbs on these...

fr press I thought I was ready to just jump in at 135 but alas shoulder said nooooooo....I did 90/105/115/125/135

rear bent over rear delt cablr raises x3

fr cable rope front raises..60/70/70

upright row db 30/35 I like these..

bis
I needed some pick me up biceps are boring period,so last 2 workouts I decided to superset dc curl with curl bar curls..
great pump I did 30/35/35 db with 60/80/80 weighted curl bar 10x10 per set

I also did another cable I like isolator seated on low puller row for back I lean back arms fixed in mid air and I curl to forhead x3

seated single arm curl machine its padded with a slight pitch x3..

forarms
rope rolls
and reverse cable wrist curls...

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
« Reply #1283 on: February 05, 2016, 07:24:41 AM »
Good news Donny. You've managed to exercise throughout this hiccup which says a lot about the benefits of exercise. Keep up the good work!

I made a fairly last minute decision to take a day off from the gym. Around 4:30 or 5:00 p.m. for the last several days I have felt queasy. Don't know what is causing this, but it put me in a funk today. I'll work delts and traps tomorrow.

Had a great lunch with a very old friend today. We are going to try to get together more often. He's kind of eccentric, but he's still good people.

When John was in his 20's and 30's he was on top of all the latest technology and then something happened in the 1990's which changed that. Now he believes the old tube TV's are better than flat screen ones, Windows 98 was much better than Windows 10 and so on. He has always had a bunch of antique cars, which he maintains mechanically, but they all look like rust buckets. He has a mid 70's Chrysler Imperial, a early 70's Chevy Nova, a Jeep Wrangler of undetermined age and the Ford Windstar van he bought from Xerox when worked for them.
Thank you Prime.. just shows you though that you can do a lot yourself.

delts.bi/forearms

I need a lot of warmups now and I used to just go in and start rocking,now I need warmups  :-\ :P

I decided to do side laterals 1st and funny I am almost back to full capacity here,,,i warmed with 10's,20's for 15..i worked 25/30/30 heavier sets
I still find it hard to believe people 'drug pros swinging'can do 50/80lbs on these...

fr press I thought I was ready to just jump in at 135 but alas shoulder said nooooooo....I did 90/105/115/125/135

rear bent over rear delt cablr raises x3

fr cable rope front raises..60/70/70

upright row db 30/35 I like these..

bis
I needed some pick me up biceps are boring period,so last 2 workouts I decided to superset dc curl with curl bar curls..
great pump I did 30/35/35 db with 60/80/80 weighted curl bar 10x10 per set

I also did another cable I like isolator seated on low puller row for back I lean back arms fixed in mid air and I curl to forhead x3

seated single arm curl machine its padded with a slight pitch x3..

forarms
rope rolls
and reverse cable wrist curls...

yes i need a good warm up too.. goes with age and injuries iīm afraid.

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #1284 on: February 05, 2016, 08:17:57 AM »
Trained delt and arms:

Dumbbell standing press 2 x 10 50lbs (All the dumbbells are mislabeled in this gym. I think these are 58lbs by me counting plates and the handle weight.)
Machine press 1 x 8
dumbbell delt laterals 2 x 10 25lbs (I think these are mislabeled in my gym I think they are 30lbs)
machine laterals 2 x 10
rear delt laterals 2 x 10 35lbs
rear delt machine 2 x 10

weighted dips 2 x 10-8 25lbs (felt weak from cardio and hitting the bag yesterday)
tricep machine 2 x 10
traditional tricep pushdowns 2 x 10

Straight bar curls 2 x 10 95lbs (ez bar was being used. Damn these hurt my shoulder)
bicep scott curl machine 2 x 10
rope bicep curls 3 x 12
concentration curls 1 x 10

wrist curl 2 x 20 95lb
reverse grip pulley curl 2 x 12

ab coaster 2 x 24 40lbs ( I go as high as I can)
crunch machine 2 x 12

Gym Observations:  

Saw this big somewhat fat guy hitting the bag with soft arm punches. Thought it was a warm up. No, he had no power.  He starts lecturing a guy in between sets near him about proper punching techniques. " You have to punch straight because wild round house punches get blocked." Ok, I agree but if I hit the bag like he did I wouldn't be giving any advice.  He then picks up two dumbbells and does alternate curls walking the length of the gym. Just odd.

Haven't had Raisin Bran cereal in awhile and I combined it with protein shake. I was in the gym trying my damnest to hold my farts in. Going to chuck the box of cereal.  

I was thinking when I was lifting that I loved this hard core dump of a gym. It has just about everything you need. It's a combination of Coleman's and Yate's gym. Everyone in town goes to the posh gym with the beautiful carpet and brand new machines across town.  It's filled with former cheer leader girl trainers and steroid bloated guy trainers. It's impressive in it's size with maybe 30 treadmills, pool, plenty of hammer strength, and everything looks pristine.  I just like the gym I'm in. Hard core with no frills. 45lbs is 45lbs no matter where you go.

njflex

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • HEY PAISAN
« Reply #1285 on: February 05, 2016, 11:57:40 AM »
 8)RICH UR OBSERVATIONS...

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #1286 on: February 06, 2016, 02:40:22 PM »
Oldtimer,

Your observations are always so interesting. Since I started working out in the evening, there isn't much to observe. Nautilus Plus OC is large, has loads of equipment, is reasonably well maintained and attracts a huge variety of folks. It also offers a special and separate area for power lifters, another annex area for cross training and yet another for aerobics classes and jumba. There is also a coed Olympic sized pool, alongside a hot tub, sauna and steam rooms. Water aerobics are offered too.

Because there is literally something for everyone, there is a variety of members; young/old, fit and not fit, bodybuilders and power lifters, etc. It is just a great mix of folks. Although I am on the road to being 72, there are many people older than I am working out there. My wife used to chide me because I'd use very young, muscular folks as my inspiration. Complaining when I didn't feel like I measured up.

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #1287 on: February 06, 2016, 06:48:04 PM »
Oldtimer,

Your observations are always so interesting. Since I started working out in the evening, there isn't much to observe. Nautilus Plus OC is large, has loads of equipment, is reasonably well maintained and attracts a huge variety of folks. It also offers a special and separate area for power lifters, another annex area for cross training and yet another for aerobics classes and jumba. There is also a coed Olympic sized pool, alongside a hot tub, sauna and steam rooms. Water aerobics are offered too.

Because there is literally something for everyone, there is a variety of members; young/old, fit and not fit, bodybuilders and power lifters, etc. It is just a great mix of folks. Although I am on the road to being 72, there are many people older than I am working out there. My wife used to chide me because I'd use very young, muscular folks as my inspiration. Complaining when I didn't feel like I measured up.

My gym as a lot of old people. Hearing about your workouts I'm sure you are light years ahead. Keep fighting the good fight. Sometimes at nearly 57 I feel like an old man when I think about what I use to be able to do in my youth. 

On another topic but related there is a 91 year old guy who is a patron at the part time retirement job I have.  He is completely clear headed with a strong voice. He is as healthy as a horse.  He won the genetic lottery regarding health. He said his blood work comes back perfect every time.  Last time I saw him I said to him, "You're here earlier than usual."  He said, "My wife is driving me crazy so I came here."  His wife?  It's incredible to me that he has a living wife at his age.

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #1288 on: February 07, 2016, 08:38:47 AM »
I want to hear your opinions and incite on this.  When doing volume should you do high reps or low reps?  Danny Padilla did most of exercises for 5 sets of 12 using the same weight.  Bill Pearl also did 5 sets per exercise but did 6 to 8 reps in general.

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #1289 on: February 07, 2016, 06:21:57 PM »
I want to hear your opinions and incite on this.  When doing volume should you do high reps or low reps?  Danny Padilla did most of exercises for 5 sets of 12 using the same weight.  Bill Pearl also did 5 sets per exercise but did 6 to 8 reps in general.

I can only offer an opinion because I am definitely no expert when it comes to exercise routines. Several years ago, I downloaded a couple of advanced high volume workouts from this 40+ year old fellow whose name I cannot recall. Looking over each of them just now, the sets range from 3-5 in most cases. The reps are also high with a range from 15 to 8 or 10. The one or two warm up sets are the highest in reps with the work sets being at the bottom end of the rep range.

I haven't followed this routine for sometime now. I remember that it is time consuming. Workouts are 5 days a week. The days off are not consecutive. I think they are Wednesday and Sunday. Obviously, you work a couple of related body parts each day in order to get everything taken care of. The fellow advised taking 120 second rests between reps. Personally, this seems too long to me. I like resting 30 seconds max with the exception of some heavy leg work which winds me.

There is more to write about these routines, but honestly you'd do best to see these routines in writing. If you send me your email address in a PM, I'll email them as an attachment to you.

I'm currently still doing a low volume routine until I get to the point where I think I am lifting heavy enough to actually be able to say I lift. LOL.

Today I worked delts, traps and abs. I was done in less than 45 minutes. With enough leftover energy to suggest I could have done more. I really like ending my routines this way because it encourages me to want to go back to the gym the next day. I could have lifted more on overhead shoulder presses. The weight range was 70 to 140 lbs. Using an ISO lateral machine is much the same as doing the presses with dumbbells, so each side was half the listed resistance.  I worked side laterals and bent laterals with dumbbells and considerably less weight. The set range is mostly 3 with the exception of the overheads which are 4 sets. The reps diminish as the resistance increases. I was doing more reps than suggested which tells me I could have gone heavier.

njflex

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • HEY PAISAN
« Reply #1290 on: February 08, 2016, 05:15:31 AM »
leg day...when I do legs on a sundays its hectic morning I get daughter to her ccd'catholic sun class'then train 45/1hr then home shower I meet her in church most weeks ..

so I boogied and trained hard quick but still power

superstted leg press x10 with extensions x10...working sets 5/6/7 plates side with 190/205/220 extensions

squats'close stance'with walking kettle lunges..225/275/315 10...lunges 45 kettles walking,,

finished last set with squats 225x16 I was bombed...

hams
standing leg curls single leg 75/85/95/100
seated leg curl 180/180/195

calves seated calf raise 3 plates x15,3.5 x12,4/4 sets 10,back 3 plates for 20

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
« Reply #1291 on: February 08, 2016, 06:19:07 AM »
I would go with Danny Padilla now.

Today i did my Full Body workout, no cardio today as i was running last night.

njflex

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • HEY PAISAN
« Reply #1292 on: February 08, 2016, 07:50:02 AM »
HAD A FRIEND OVER AND WIFE FOR SUPER BOWL

CORONAS,APPLE CRISP ANGRY ORCHARDS,CHIPS AND HOMEADE GUACAMOLE/SALSA'JARRED'LOL...

WIFE MADE WINGS/THIGHS 'CHICKEN'WITH TERIYAKI BARBECUE SAUCE BAKED IN OVEN 'NICE ROASTED COAT'

I MADE PIZZA'S WITH SQUARE CRUST,FRESH MOZZARELLA/BASIL ,WITH FIRE ROASTED TOMATOES 'JARRED'COOKED CRISPY LIKE AT PIZZERIA..SORTA  ;D

BROWNIES,ME AND MY BUDDY HAD 4 ESPRESSOS..

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #1293 on: February 08, 2016, 05:03:00 PM »
Trained back and chest:

Pull ups 3 x max (shoulder didn't like these. Maybe horizontal grip next time)
Low cable rows 2 x 12
db rows 2 x 10
reverse grip pulldowns 3 x 10 (hurts shoulder)

Flat db bench 2 x 8
Hammer strength bench 2 x 8
Incline db bench 2 x 8
flat flies 2 x 10
machine flies 2 x 10 (shoulder again)

deadlifts 2 x 4 285lbs 1x1 315lbs (Took it easy with these this workout.  Damn plates almost slid off one side.)
Weighted hyper extension 2 x 12 25lbs plate behind head

ab coaster 2 x 23 40lbs
ab crunch machine 2 x 15

My shoulder hurt with chins and most of the pec exercises. Just frustrated.  I didn't do inclines with a bar for ages. Thought maybe they wouldn't hurt since I had a long break. Loaded the bar up  with 135lbs for a warm up. First rep felt like hell on my shoulder.  I'm done with it.  I think I'm making my shoulder worst with all these various movements.  Going to simplify and come up with a plan by next week.  I thought volume would be the way to go but more total reps with moderate weight doesn't sound like it would healthy for my bad shoulder either. I know I should get it operated on but I don't want the 6 months to one year recovery time that I hear from guys that had a slap tear and rotator cuff operations.  

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #1294 on: February 08, 2016, 06:25:28 PM »
HAD A FRIEND OVER AND WIFE FOR SUPER BOWL

CORONAS,APPLE CRISP ANGRY ORCHARDS,CHIPS AND HOMEADE GUACAMOLE/SALSA'JARRED'LOL...

WIFE MADE WINGS/THIGHS 'CHICKEN'WITH TERIYAKI BARBECUE SAUCE BAKED IN OVEN 'NICE ROASTED COAT'

I MADE PIZZA'S WITH SQUARE CRUST,FRESH MOZZARELLA/BASIL ,WITH FIRE ROASTED TOMATOES 'JARRED'COOKED CRISPY LIKE AT PIZZERIA..SORTA  ;D

BROWNIES,ME AND MY BUDDY HAD 4 ESPRESSOS..

Kept the Super Bowl simple. Wife made stir fry chicken over rice. One guest showed up with 30 White Castle Hamburgers. Yes, I know.  I eat them about once a year and I ate them up. Drank wine which is something I rarely do.  Maybe twice a month. I'm a beer guy.  Woke up feeling like crap but I got the workout in.  I thought it was a great game.  Why won't they have this game on Saturday is beyond me. People have big parties and everyone needs a day off to recover.

njflex

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • HEY PAISAN
« Reply #1295 on: February 08, 2016, 07:58:06 PM »
rich i hear ya on the shoulder,,i've been positive and progressing 'to a point'not my point!!!!!!!the light slow rep pressing with discomfort isn't my idea of a good or passable workout,,,my head for the 1st time in a loonnnggg time was not into the 'light it is what it is be patient 'workout i want to crank out chest again heavy flyes.presses,go go go,,,it is not going to happen maybe never again in forseeable future,i cant get stronger through pain on pressing,,,everything else is full strenght just about,,,

chest
flat bench x4 slow reps,waiting for strenght ''nada...
inc press x4 theses were ok got pump going
cble crossovers x3
lower cable flyes x2
seated chest press x2 with pushups,,

tris
dip machine x3
reverse underhand pushdowns x4
single rope extensions' x3
tricep extensions hands close on top bar narrow grip x2

abs

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #1296 on: February 10, 2016, 08:16:10 AM »
Trained legs:

Squats 4 x 8 225lbs (legs were weak from the previous day's run. Had trouble going deep)
Leg press 3 x 12-8 (deep)
leg extension 2 x 12
standing leg curl 2 x 12

standing calf 2 x 12 195lbs ( My home machine I use over 290lbs. Just built different)
seated calf 2 x 15 80lbs.

ab coaster 2 x 25 40lbs.
machine ab seated crunch 2 x 15

Gym Observations:  My buddy is really messing up my workouts with the constant talking. Just not use to talking in the gym.  I keep to my self and get the job done. Now it's bs about everything.  I need to have an intervention for him.

A blonde with braided hair was on the treadmill.  Love panty hose yoga pants. Do I sound like a broken record?

I don't know if I'm repeating myself.  I learned the nice guy owner did time in prison for punching a guy in a bar and the guy died from the punch. He got a manslaughter homicide conviction.  Another thing I learned is that the gym is used by outlaw organized crime biker guys.  I guess I didn't notice with everyone having tattoos and facial hair. The owner does seem like a good guy.

Some of the equipment is completely useless. I don't know why he keeps it. I can count a bunch of stuff that goes unused.  One example of this is this almost antique lying ab crunch machine.  The first time I used it the crack in the machine bench pinched my back trapping it. No wonder no one uses it.  

njflex

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • HEY PAISAN
« Reply #1297 on: February 10, 2016, 08:19:15 AM »
Trained legs:

Squats 4 x 8 225lbs (legs were weak from the previous day's run. Had trouble going deep)
leg extension 2 x 12
standing leg curl 2 x 12

standing calf 2 x 12 195lbs ( My home machine I use over 290lbs. Just built different)

ab coaster 2 x 25 40lbs.

Gym Observations:  My buddy is really messing up my workouts with the constant talking. Just not use to talking in the gym.  I kept to my self and get the job done. Now it's bs about everything.  I need to have an intervention for him.

A blonde with braided hair was on the treadmill.  Love panty hose yoga pants. Do I sound like a broken record?

I don't know if I'm repeating myself.  I learned the nice guy owner did time in prison for punching a guy in a bar and the guy died from the punch. He got a manslaughter homicide conviction.  Another thing I learned is that the gym is used by outlaw organized crime biker guys.  I guess I didn't notice with everyone having tattoos and facial hair. The owner does seem like a good guy.

Some of the equipment is completely useless. I don't know why he keeps it. I can count a bunch of stuff that goes unused.  One example of this is this almost antique lying ab crunch machine.  The first time I used it the crack in the machine bench pinched my back trapping it. No wonder no one uses it. 

GREAT OBSERVATIONS....

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
« Reply #1298 on: February 10, 2016, 08:22:31 AM »
Trained legs:

leg extension 2 x 12
standing leg curl 2 x 12

ab coaster 2 x 25 40lbs.

Gym Observations:  My buddy is really messing up my workouts with the constant talking. Just not use to talking in the gym.  I kept to my self and get the job done. Now it's bs about everything.  I need to have an intervention for him.

A blonde with braided hair was on the treadmill.  Love panty hose yoga pants. Do I sound like a broken record?

I don't know if I'm repeating myself.  I learned the nice guy owner did time in prison for punching a guy in a bar and the guy died from the punch. He got a manslaughter homicide conviction.  Another thing I learned is that the gym is used by outlaw organized crime biker guys.  I guess I didn't notice with everyone having tattoos and facial hair. The owner does seem like a good guy.

Some of the equipment is completely useless. I don't know why he keeps it. I can count a bunch of stuff that goes unused.  One example of this is this almost antique lying ab crunch machine.  The first time I used it the crack in the machine bench pinched my back trapping it. No wonder no one uses it. 

Not all 1% Bikers are bad(if you mean them Rich) I know some here.

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #1299 on: February 10, 2016, 09:18:38 AM »
Not all 1% Bikers are bad(if you mean them Rich) I know some here.

The outlaw bikers here are involved in drug sales mainly meth. They are also involved in prostitution and intimidation "protection" collections.  They invade southern Jersey bars where they intimidate the owner into giving them a cut for their business.  They also have a creed that if one of them get into a fight they all will attack the one fighting their member. They are scum bags that pretend to be patriotic.

Now most Harley riders are guys that wear outfits pretending to be outlaw bikers. They belong to legit social clubs and they are good guys.