Author Topic: Over 45 training  (Read 410343 times)

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
Re: Over 45 training
« Reply #1375 on: February 25, 2016, 05:01:52 PM »
Prime that is bad news about your tooth. It seems dentist are all about root canals and crowns.  I have never heard of a guy getting fillings anymore. Of course the dentist would rather have a $1500 dollar pay day for 20 minutes of work than $300 bucks for a filling.

This might be true in many cases, but I trust my dentist will do what is right. I've had the same dentist for about 25 years. I have not had new cavities since I was a kid. Those fillings are so old they sometimes fall out requiring a new filling. Other than this, I just get my teeth cleaned twice a year.

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #1376 on: February 26, 2016, 08:09:08 AM »
Readers digest about 25 years ago did a reveal on dentists. They took a guy to university that had a dentist department. The dental professors said his teeth were find and one tooth was borderline whether they should drill and fill it. With that information they took that guy to dentists from the west coast to the east coast. The high end 5th avenue Manhattan dentists to small town dentists in Kansas examined their guy.  

What they found was every dentist gave a different evaluation result about what needed work.  Some said three on the right. Some said five on the left. In other words there was no consistency and it gave the appearance of fraud.  It was obvious to me they were making up work for a pay day.  

When asked by a major dental association what was going on they of course protected the profession. They said in effect that what is happening is that what work is needed it is subjective instead of objective based on opinion.

I say that some are just ripping people off. That's why I say 25 years ago dentist almost always filled in cavities.  Now when you have a painful tooth it's almost always an expensive root canal and a crown.  

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #1377 on: February 26, 2016, 08:17:26 AM »
Back and chest:

Power cleans 4 x 3 then 1 x 1
Pull ups 3 x max
Seated V handle rows 2 x 12 180lbs
Dumbbell rows 2 x 10 80lbs ( all the way down and up)
reverse grip pulldowns 2 x 10

Dumbbell press 2 x 8 75lbs. (all the way down. shoulder is bugging me)
Hammer strength bench 2 x 8-6
flat dumbbell flies 2 x 10 45lbs

Stiff leg dead 2 x 6 205lbs
weighted hyper extensions 2x15 25lbs plate behind head

ab coaster 2 x 25 40lbs
hanging straight leg ab raise 2 x 20

Gym Observations:

Why do old people sit in machines watching people work out?  It seems the favorite on is the seated crunch. They use it for 15 minutes at a pop. I wanted to use it but I gave up.

Saw a young man in his twenties do about 25 sets each for biceps and  triceps.  It seemed like over kill.  For about 90 minutes that's all he did.

Saw a pure power lifter work out. He did squats and deadlifts only. I could never work out like that.

chaos

• Getbig V
  • Ron "There is no freedom of speech here" Avidan
« Reply #1378 on: February 26, 2016, 09:31:02 AM »

Saw a pure power lifter work out. He did squats and deadlifts only. I could never work out like that.

Squats and deadlifts take me about 30 minutes each, I can't do them both the same day. It's actually exhausting to do.
Liar!!!!Filt!!!!

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
« Reply #1379 on: February 26, 2016, 09:46:26 AM »
This is also good news. Some folks believe that the longer someone is off work, the harder it is to go back.

I think anytime someone can avoid surgery, it is a good thing.
yes this is true but in between i have been training in the Gym so they saw i was working on myself. The Doctor in Hannover asked me why i never took surgery and i said i think people sometimes do it too quickly. Maybe if i can iŽll put the "Before and After" pictures up here from my scan. Really shows a big change. He asked if i needed pain killers and i said i threw the Opium pills in the Bin.. he laughed and said i love the Brits Humour that come in here. Was very Friendly.

njflex

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • HEY PAISAN
« Reply #1380 on: February 26, 2016, 11:26:58 AM »
delt day

fr press warm up bar x20/95x12/105x12,,,sets 135/145/145/135,,shoulder ok,still not full strenght on these 'closer'
side fr and rear raise trio set with 20lb dbs,,sick pump
cable uprights x3
did something different upper cable crossovers 'arms up and across then pull back elbows 'x4

bis
pass the bar x5 premade 70 lb curl bar partner in front 10 reps pass bar back,,great pump no rest
seated curl machine x3 angled and padded version
acroos body hammers x3 40/45//45 dbs x10

forarms
revers behind back wrist curls with bar instead cable x4
wrist curls reverse on knees wrist rest and pull up x3

treadmill

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #1381 on: February 26, 2016, 11:36:56 AM »
Readers digest about 25 years ago did a reveal on dentists. They took a guy to university that had a dentist department. The dental professors said his teeth were find and one tooth was borderline whether they should drill and fill it. With that information they took that guy to dentists from the west coast to the east coast. The high end 5th avenue Manhattan dentists to small town dentists in Kansas examined their guy.  

What they found was every dentist gave a different evaluation result about what needed work.  Some said three on the right. Some said five on the left. In other words there was no consistency and it gave the appearance of fraud.  It was obvious to me they were making up work for a pay day.  

When asked by a major dental association what was going on they of course protected the profession. They said in effect that what is happening is that what work is needed it is subjective instead of objective based on opinion.

I say that some are just ripping people off. That's why I say 25 years ago dentist almost always filled in cavities.  Now when you have a painful tooth it's almost always an expensive root canal and a crown.  

I guess I am lucky that my dentist is honest.

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #1382 on: February 26, 2016, 03:11:37 PM »
delt day

fr press warm up bar x20/95x12/105x12,,,sets 135/145/145/135,,shoulder ok,still not full strenght on these 'closer'
side fr and rear raise trio set with 20lb dbs,,sick pump
cable uprights x3
did something different upper cable crossovers 'arms up and across then pull back elbows 'x4

bis
pass the bar x5 premade 70 lb curl bar partner in front 10 reps pass bar back,,great pump no rest
seated curl machine x3 angled and padded version
acroos body hammers x3 40/45//45 dbs x10

forarms
revers behind back wrist curls with bar instead cable x4
wrist curls reverse on knees wrist rest and pull up x3

treadmill

I'm a day ahead of you. I worked delts, traps and abs last night. It was another one of those days when I really did not feel like going to the gym. Once I got there, the workout went well. This is almost always the way it goes. For some reason, I've been feeling nauseous in the late afternoons. The trick is to ignore this and not let it be an excuse to skip going to the gym.

I did the usual routine. -Increased the resistance marginally from the previous week's workout. Overall, I'm am lifting a lot more weight then when I first started back at the gym. My joints feel fine, so I guess I am not over doing it. The workout was completed in 45 minutes. After the workout, I hit the speed tanning bed. After posting those headless photos, I realized that I am very pale....maybe the lightest I have ever been in my life and it doesn't flatter my appearance.

Tonight I plan to work pecs and abs. Also this afternoon or early evening the vet is coming over to euthanize Danny. I may not feel up to a workout after this, or it might be a good distraction.

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #1383 on: February 26, 2016, 03:18:10 PM »
Squats and deadlifts take me about 30 minutes each, I can't do them both the same day. It's actually exhausting to do.

You must do a lot of reps and/or sets. Both these exercises get me winded. I probably could not do them on the same day either, although there was a time when I did. Anyway, I work quads and hams on separate days, so it all works out.

Can't remember when I did deads last. My spine is already compromised because of osteoarthritis and degenerative disk problems. It probably is not wise to be doing deads these days anyway.

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
« Reply #1384 on: February 26, 2016, 03:23:53 PM »
You must do a lot of reps and/or sets. Both these exercises get me winded. I probably could not do them on the same day either, although there was a time when I did. Anyway, I work quads and hams on separate days, so it all works out.

Can't remember when I did deads last. My spine is already compromised because of osteoarthritis and degenerative disk problems. It probably is not wise to be doing deads these days anyway.
I did a 5x5 workout alternating squats and Deads it is hard.

chaos

• Getbig V
« Reply #1385 on: February 26, 2016, 05:53:23 PM »

I do alot of sets working in the 3-5 rep range. If your back is an issue, I wouldn't push deadlifts or squats too hard.
Liar!!!!Filt!!!!

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #1386 on: February 26, 2016, 06:17:36 PM »
I do alot of sets working in the 3-5 rep range. If your back is an issue, I wouldn't push deadlifts or squats too hard.

It is more that I don't want it to become an issue. There is a fine balance between what and how much to do and doing the wrong things and too much. Seems like it is better to not wreck your back in the first place. On the other hand, lack of exercise puts your back at risk too.

chaos

• Getbig V
« Reply #1387 on: February 26, 2016, 08:23:12 PM »
It is more that I don't want it to become an issue. There is a fine balance between what and how much to do and doing the wrong things and too much. Seems like it is better to not wreck your back in the first place. On the other hand, lack of exercise puts your back at risk too.
Tons of other ways to work your back without the stress of deadlifts. I've got a goal in mind and need to stay spot on.
Liar!!!!Filt!!!!

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
« Reply #1388 on: February 27, 2016, 02:31:11 AM »
The average "mature" trainer does Hyperextensions for lower back. Some do exercises on a floor mat for lower back and take part in a Back/Abs course. Most here will laugh at this but i know a Trainer who does such a course and it is non stop concentrated work. Harder than you think.

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #1389 on: February 27, 2016, 11:18:17 AM »
Did a cardio interval workout on the treadmill. I then hit the heavy bag. On one punch I saw stars as something hurt in the elbow region. Hopefully just a ligament strain. 

I am convinced that older guys are one rep away or one twist away from an injury. I know my body is injury prone and brittle unlike when I was younger. I'm just shocked how good my lower back is. Knock on wood.

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
« Reply #1390 on: February 28, 2016, 01:33:47 AM »
Did a cardio interval workout on the treadmill. I then hit the heavy bag. On one punch I saw stars as something hurt in the elbow region. Hopefully just a ligament strain. 

I am convinced that older guys are one rep away or one twist away from an injury. I know my body is injury prone and brittle unlike when I was younger. I'm just shocked how good my lower back is. Knock on wood.
A nice sunny Day today.. a run in the woods later. At the moment it will be busy with people out with their Doggies and such. less chance of getting bitten later on me thinks  ;D

njflex

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • HEY PAISAN
« Reply #1391 on: February 28, 2016, 06:54:28 PM »
had busy weekend,,suprise 40 th birthday party at house ,had her family and mine,got food ad she was suprised i did it and pulled it off ,my mom helped decorated ,bought her roses ad we also went away overnite at nice place with great dinner resteraunt attached .

leg day
superset leg press with goblet squat w 10lb plate under feet ..3 plates a side with 50 lb goblet,5 plates with 70,6 plates with 80 goblet,7 plates and 90 db crazy pump at this point

smith lunges is other way leg goes back instead of front great alternative almost a squat effect as well on these

extensions drop sets 220-190 x3 10 reps each ,,nother killer pump

hams
single leg standing leg curls x4 70-100
lying leg curls 140/145/140

calves
5 sets seated calf raises

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #1392 on: February 29, 2016, 04:44:52 PM »
Leg day:

Squats 2 x 9 225-260
Leg press 2 x 12 4 plates a side going deep
leg extension 2 x 12  Said 165lb on this machine where the pin goes in.
standing leg curl 2 x 12

standing calf 2 x 12 195lbs
seated calf 2 x 15 90lbs

ab coaster 2 x 26 40lbs
seated ab crunch 2 x 20 (new version of the machine the owner just got in)

4 way neck 2 x 15 (Can't tell the brand. Looks like an early Nautilus but no markings.)

Gym observations:

I don't socialize at the gym and I rarely greet people. I just want to work out. I guess I can be perceived as a scum bag.

Why is this gym's leg press so damn heavy.  I'm using 4 plates on each side and it feels like the weight of a truck.  It's either the angle or it's made with really heavy metal on the carriage.  

Continuing this theme the calf machine in my home gym I use about 325lbs and in this commercial gym 195lbs feels really heavy. Again it's angles and leverage points.

Watched the old short range of motion warrior.  He put 90lbs on the harness to dip. Then I watched him barely go up and down.  I bet if he went deep with no weight he couldn't do 15 reps.

I am now seeing the same blonde almost every day. She is really dedicated to fitness. Works hard on the treadmill then lifts. She is there almost every day I am there now. I try to make it now 5 days in a row of either lifting or cardio.

I tell people I'm into fitness. I never say I'm a bodybuilder. Fitness just seems to fit what I'm doing. When I think bodybuilding I think guys buying syringes, pills and vials from the trunk of a shady character in the gym parking lot.

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
« Reply #1393 on: March 01, 2016, 01:39:46 AM »
Leg day:

Squats 2 x 9 225-260
Leg press 2 x 12 4 plates a side going deep
leg extension 2 x 12  Said 165lb on this machine where the pin goes in.
standing leg curl 2 x 12

standing calf 2 x 12 195lbs
seated calf 2 x 15 90lbs

ab coaster 2 x 26 40lbs
seated ab crunch 2 x 20 (new version of the machine the owner just got in)

4 way neck 2 x 15 (Can't tell the brand. Looks like an early Nautilus but no markings.)

Gym observations:

I don't socialize at the gym and I rarely greet people. I just want to work out. I guess I can be perceived as a scum bag.

Why is this gym's leg press so damn heavy.  I'm using 4 plates on each side and it feels like the weight of a truck.  It's either the angle or it's made with really heavy metal on the carriage.  

Continuing this theme the calf machine in my home gym I use about 325lbs and in this commercial gym 195lbs feels really heavy. Again it's angles and leverage points.

Watched the old short range of motion warrior.  He put 90lbs on the harness to dip. Then I watched him barely go up and down.  I bet if he went deep with no weight he couldn't do 15 reps.

I am now seeing the same blonde almost every day. She is really dedicated to fitness. Works hard on the treadmill then lifts. She is there almost every day I am there now. I try to make it now 5 days in a row of either lifting or cardio.

I tell people I'm into fitness. I never say I'm a bodybuilder. Fitness just seems to fit what I'm doing. When I think bodybuilding I think guys buying syringes, pills and vials from the trunk of a shady character in the gym parking lot.

I actually did a Boxing workout yesterday with a lot of Bodyweight stuff. Doing step ups for legs. Working each exercise for 1 minute then straight to another exercise. Lot of jumping rope in between too. In the Gym i get too distracted and so i prefer to do it at home. List of exercises i use:

skipping
Crunches, leg raise position at start bringing elbows to knees. always tension.
Incline press ups
Punch Bag
Half sit ups
Arm punches holding light weights
Alternate shoulder press or behind neck with Barbell up to you.
upright rows
NIEDER PRESS ..my favourite. I do these mainly with a weight plate but sometimes an ez bar. Upper back is also trained to a degree with these.

njflex

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • HEY PAISAN
« Reply #1394 on: March 01, 2016, 05:14:17 AM »
chest,,at home prior I wanted to some compression massage with a ball shoulder/armpit/lat/chest area l/s it really gets thing flowing,i felt looser at the gym before starting my rom was really good.

supersetted and great pump..

flat db press 'holding palms facing in and pressing'it really lessens stress on fr delt with db flyes x4

inc press with elevated decline pushups x3

seated chest press with lower cable flyes x3

tris
pushdowns x4
overhead rope extensions x3
seated dip machine x3
cable single arm extensions x3

abs

treadmill

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #1395 on: March 01, 2016, 12:35:14 PM »
Did cardio workout on treadmill. 8 x one lap with a half a lap walking fast 3.8MPH recovery.  Warm up and cool down was one lap at 3.8 MPH.

1 x one lap at 7.5 MPH.
1 x one lap at 7.5 MPH
1 x one lat at  8.0 MPH
1 x one lap at 8.0 MPH
1 x one lap at 8.6 MPH
1 x one lap at 8.6 MPH
1 x one lap at 9.2 MPH
1 x one lap at 9.2 MPH

Told an old man hanging out, " People say working out makes you feel fantastic. What makes you feel fantastic is walking out of the gym after a workout."  It's the old, working out is like hitting yourself in the head with a baseball bat. It feels so good when you stop.

When ever I try to combine hard cardio with hard lifting it almost always doesn't work out. Usually my strength goes south.  I defy any power lifter who doesn't run to go for a hard 5 mile run the day before a squat day and tell me it didn't make a difference. If it didn't you didn't run hard enough. Anyway tomorrow is delts and arms. 

Gym Observations:

I should get my head examined for posting on getbig.  Till next time.

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #1396 on: March 01, 2016, 01:20:31 PM »
The vet came to the house last Friday and permanently relieved Danny from his suffering. He had drastically gone down hill last week. He was so weak, it was hard for him to stand up. It was hard for us to make this final decision. At the vet's suggestion, after Danny had passed we let them in the room. Each of them checked him out thoroughly. It was their final goodbye to Danny.

Worked pecs hard last Saturday night. They were sore the next day, yesterday and a little bit today. Only thing I did different was increasing the resistance on all movements by 5-10 lbs.

Time slipped away from me last night so instead of going to the gym, I worked quads at home. I got a great pump, which surprised me. It's amazing what one can accomplish without using weights.

njflex

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • HEY PAISAN
« Reply #1397 on: March 01, 2016, 02:00:21 PM »
life is very unfair at times,a very good friend and work friend of my wife is very ill ,losing a battle that is only within last yr diagnosed ,my wife visited her and was crying to me later on..2 young children and nice husband ,we have vacationed with them ,been to each others homes ,our children went to preschool together.i prayed for her last few months at church when I was there.sad.

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #1398 on: March 01, 2016, 02:27:14 PM »
Prime,I had dogs my whole life and after the last one I didn't want anything to do with dogs anymore. My last dog went diabetic and nearly died from it. The result was blindness. We kept the dog for nearly 2 years completely blind. As it went down hill the once stunning polish low land sheepdog looked terrible. Patches of hair fell out and the dog increasingly couldn't walk. Toward the end we picked up the dog and placed it outside in the grass to go and carried it back in.  When we bought it to vet to be put down he said we waited way too long.  The guilt I felt when the doctor gave the injection was overwhelming. I felt like I was killing my friend.  In the end I thought I would never have a dog again until my future son in law told me he was buying a puppy for my daughter. My daughter always loved pugs and even had pug calendars for years. Due to my daughters crazy schedule being a ICU nurse and his crazy cop schedule we watch the dog a lot.  The puppy has bought so much joy and fun in my life. The dog lives to make friends. He likes to sleep leaning his body against my leg as I watch tv.  

NJflex, I have no words for the illness of your friend. It's beyond tragic when the mother of young children is losing the battle to illness.  Her love will never die and I hope in time her husband and children will find some kind of peace in their life. I am a Christian and I believe heaven isn't on earth. Earthly life gives us some glimpses of heaven but it is not. I believe she will see her children again in the promised land. I think CS Lewis said, "You don't have a soul. You are a soul. What you have is a body."  

njflex

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • HEY PAISAN
« Reply #1399 on: March 01, 2016, 02:50:31 PM »
Prime,I had dogs my whole life and after the last one I didn't want anything to do with dogs anymore. My last dog went diabetic and nearly died from it. The result was blindness. We kept the dog for nearly 2 years completely blind. As it went down hill the once stunning polish low land sheepdog looked terrible. Patches of hair fell out and the dog increasingly couldn't walk. Toward the end we picked up the dog and placed it outside in the grass to go and carried it back in.  When we bought it to vet to be put down he said we waited way too long.  The guilt I felt when the doctor gave the injection was overwhelming. I felt like I was killing my friend.  In the end I thought I would never have a dog again until my future son in law told me he was buying a puppy for my daughter. My daughter always loved pugs and even had pug calendars for years. Due to my daughters crazy schedule being a ICU nurse and his crazy cop schedule we watch the dog a lot.  The puppy has bought so much joy and fun in my life. The dog lives to make friends. He likes to sleep leaning his body against my leg as I watch tv.  

NJflex, I have no words for the illness of your friend. It's beyond tragic when the mother of young children is losing the battle to illness.  Her love will never die and I hope in time her husband and children will find some kind of peace in their life. I am a Christian and I believe heaven isn't on earth. Earthly life gives us some glimpses of heaven but it is not. I believe she will see her children again in the promised land. I think CS Lewis said, "You don't have a soul. You are a soul. What you have is a body."  

THANKS RICH...