Author Topic: Over 45 training  (Read 410367 times)

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
Re: Over 45 training
« Reply #1625 on: April 27, 2016, 05:44:12 AM »
nice,,how ya feeling.
Like a Raging Bull ;D.. feeling better every week.

njflex

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • HEY PAISAN
« Reply #1626 on: April 27, 2016, 05:46:53 AM »
Like a Raging Bull ;D.. feeling better every week.
THATS GOOD TO HEAR..

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #1627 on: April 27, 2016, 04:27:36 PM »
Donny it's great that you are on the mend.

Delt and arms:

Dumbbell press 2 x 8 55lbs (all the way down)
Dumbbell laterals 2 x 10 25lbs-30lbs
Rear delt dumbbell laterals 2 x 10 35lbs
Barbell shrugs 2 x 10 255lbs

Weighted dips 2 x 10 25lbs (all the way down)
Single dumbbell tri with two hands 2x10 75lbs (went deep)
traditional tricep pulley pushdowns 3 x 12

Alternate dumbbell curls 2 x 8 45lbs
Pulley straight bar curl 2 x 12
concentration curls 2 x 10 25lb

Wrist curls 2 x 30 85lbs-90lbs
reverse grip curls with pulley 2 x 12

ab wheel roll out 2 x 20
ab crunch machine 2 x 20

Gym Observations:

New hot blonde working out.  She worked legs and abs. Impressed with her workout.  She started with smith squats,  leg ext, leg curl then to hacks. Seated calves then rope crunches.  She ended with the elliptical. She wasn't muscular like a female bodybuilder but she looked in impressive sexy shape.  She worked with volume with light weights with little rest between sets.  This girl was smokin.

Talked to a worker at the gym.  He said he went to Aruba and his wife was worried the hotel wouldn't have a gym.  He said he told her as long as I have my body weight I have a gym. Wanted to give him a standing ovation.

My non existent diet is almost hopeless. I eat a clean breakfast, lunch, snack, dinner then I watch tv eating cookies, chips and gummy bears. Yes, gummy bears. The weekend beer doesn't help either.  ;D

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
« Reply #1628 on: April 28, 2016, 01:45:55 AM »
Donny it's great that you are on the mend.

Delt and arms:

Dumbbell press 2 x 8 55lbs (all the way down)
Dumbbell laterals 2 x 10 25lbs-30lbs
Rear delt dumbbell laterals 2 x 10 35lbs
Barbell shrugs 2 x 10 255lbs

Weighted dips 2 x 10 25lbs (all the way down)
Single dumbbell tri with two hands 2x10 75lbs (went deep)
traditional tricep pulley pushdowns 3 x 12

Alternate dumbbell curls 2 x 8 45lbs
Pulley straight bar curl 2 x 12
concentration curls 2 x 10 25lb

Wrist curls 2 x 30 85lbs-90lbs
reverse grip curls with pulley 2 x 12

ab wheel roll out 2 x 20
ab crunch machine 2 x 20

Gym Observations:

New hot blonde working out.  She worked legs and abs. Impressed with her workout.  She started with smith squats,  leg ext, leg curl then to hacks. Seated calves then rope crunches.  She ended with the elliptical. She wasn't muscular like a female bodybuilder but she looked in impressive sexy shape.  She worked with volume with light weights with little rest between sets.  This girl was smokin.

Talked to a worker at the gym.  He said he went to Aruba and his wife was worried the hotel wouldn't have a gym.  He said he told her as long as I have my body weight I have a gym. Wanted to give him a standing ovation.

My non existent diet is almost hopeless. I eat a clean breakfast, lunch, snack, dinner then I watch tv eating cookies, chips and gummy bears. Yes, gummy bears. The weekend beer doesn't help either.  ;D

Thanks Rich... really sounds like a great Gym with characters training there... I have to admit i sometimes like to eat salt & Vineger crisps(chips)... ;D

njflex

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • HEY PAISAN
« Reply #1629 on: April 28, 2016, 05:41:40 AM »
RICH YOUR TOUGH ON YOURSELF...I love the observations,,you train hard and I know you hate blowhards and show offs and I know your not one ,even though it doesn't matter why don't you post a headless pic here to show your effort .

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
« Reply #1630 on: April 28, 2016, 05:48:01 AM »
RICH YOUR TOUGH ON YOURSELF...I love the observations,,you train hard and I know you hate blowhards and show offs and I know your not one ,even though it doesn't matter why don't you post a headless pic here to show your effort .
Rich sent me a Pic (no homo) ;D he looks in great shape.. me and Rich write over E mail. Great guy and i think if i was a Cop in the US i would have proudly served with him.

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #1631 on: April 28, 2016, 06:22:44 AM »

NJFlex, I'm 100% natural forever and I'm 57.  I feel no need to be abused by the steroid kids here by posting a picture.  I'm in decent shape but look like an athlete and not a bodybuilder.  Top UFC fighters get made fun of for their pysiques here and they are in incredible condition so you can be sure I'm not posting a picture.  ;D  Besides my non existent calves and thin thighs are laughable.

njflex

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • HEY PAISAN
« Reply #1632 on: April 28, 2016, 08:05:03 AM »
Rich sent me a Pic (no homo) ;D he looks in great shape.. me and Rich write over E mail. Great guy and i think if i was a Cop in the US i would have proudly served with him.
8)......

so before I post workout 2 things,,,we put new floor in kitchen we did a very modern tile look but its vinyl coating so its kid friendly it came out great...on a sad note my wifes friend and ex coworker passed away i'm very hurt as well knew her and our 2 kids went to school together at early ages and great husband as well she was 47 yrs old had very bad cancer and was not what I would call a courageous fight or battle it was less than a year.no chance...

back/traps/abs/calves home workout waY too much going on yesterday so went to basement..actually great workout..

front pulldowns x4
db pullovers x3
low rows cable underhand grip standing pulled to waist x4
upper back wide grip rows x3
single cable grip pulldowns handle turned so palm facing side head/body x2

abs
decline leg raises x4

shrugs
cable shrugs x4
upright trap rows x4 these are done bent over slightly it hits traps

db calf raises x5 x12-15 on 2x4 under 2 25 lb plates for height great old school pump

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
« Reply #1633 on: April 28, 2016, 08:14:08 AM »
8)......

so before I post workout 2 things,,,we put new floor in kitchen we did a very modern tile look but its vinyl coating so its kid friendly it came out great...on a sad note my wifes friend and ex coworker passed away i'm very hurt as well knew her and our 2 kids went to school together at early ages and great husband as well she was 47 yrs old had very bad cancer and was not what I would call a courageous fight or battle it was less than a year.no chance...

back/traps/abs/calves home workout waY too much going on yesterday so went to basement..actually great workout..

front pulldowns x4
db pullovers x3
low rows cable underhand grip standing pulled to waist x4
upper back wide grip rows x3
single cable grip pulldowns handle turned so palm facing side head/body x2

abs
decline leg raises x4

shrugs
cable shrugs x4
upright trap rows x4 these are done bent over slightly it hits traps

db calf raises x5 x12-15 on 2x4 under 2 25 lb plates for height great old school pump

sorry about your Wife's Friend Steve. My Mother Died of Cancer in 1986. I always support Charities for Cancer.

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #1634 on: April 28, 2016, 09:19:30 AM »
NJFlex, sorry for the loss of your wife's friend to cancer. May God hold her in the palm of his Hand. The Lord is kind and merciful.

Ran 3.08 miles in 8:43 pace on a windy day in the park.  I went to the commercial gym after to hit the bag but ended up at home to hit the bag.

Gym observations: 

Just wanted to hit the heavy bag the commercial gym. There was a girl personal trainer teaching her client how to hit the heavy bag and ground and pound on a bag on the floor.  She had no clue what she was doing.  Waited 5 minutes to use the only bag but gave up in frustration. Drove home and hit my old bag. (no not my mother in law).  Truth be told my bag is better quality.  Wacked it for a couple of three minute rounds. An excellent way to end a cardio day.

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #1635 on: April 28, 2016, 10:59:49 AM »
One of the most difficult times is anytime a friend and/or contemporary dies. It reminds us of our own mortality....like a slap in the face. Make sure to comfort your wife.

Folks who must live with an often fatal illness, like your friend, are among the bravest in the world.

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
« Reply #1636 on: April 28, 2016, 11:02:03 AM »
One of the most difficult times is anytime a friend and/or contemporary dies. It reminds us of our own mortality....like a slap in the face. Make sure to comfort your wife.

Folks who must live with an often fatal illness, like your friend, are among the bravest in the world.
Nice post Jay

njflex

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • HEY PAISAN
« Reply #1637 on: April 28, 2016, 12:14:13 PM »

THANKS FOR THE KIND WORD,IT WAS NOT MY BATTLE AND OVER THAT LAST FEW MONTHS MY WIFE WENT TO SEE HER AND COOKED FOR THE FAMILY AND I JUST KEPT FAITH I PRAYED IN CHURCH FOR HER...MODERN MEDICINE COULD NOT SAVE HER I ASKED MY WIFE WHY ,WHY AND SHE SAID THAT SHE WASNT RESPONDING TO TRERATMENTS,INITIALLY IT SEEMED LIKE HEY SHE HAS CANCER SHE;S GETTING TREATMENT AND THERE IS HOPE ,BEFORE I KNEW IT SHE WAS TERMINAL .I THINK IT TOOK SOME TIME TO GET DIAGNOSIS AND BY THEN TOO LATE...I'M BUMMED I LIKED HER VERY MUCH.

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #1638 on: April 29, 2016, 07:26:19 AM »
Trained back and chest:

Pull ups 3 x max
Seated long pulls 2 x 12 170lbs
Dumbbell row off bench 2 x 10 85lbs (all the way down and up)
Hammer strength pulldowns 2 x 10

Hammer incline chest press 2 x 8 two 45lbs plates per side with some small plates)
Incline dumbbell press 2 x 7 75lbs (all the way down)
Machine flies 2 x 10
Push ups 1 x max

deadlifts 2 x 4 300lbs then 1 x 1 340lbs. (deads at the end of the work out. Limits weight used but feels safer. All warmed up.)
Weighted hyper extensions 2 x 15 25lb (Plate behind head)

Ab wheel roll out 2 x 20
ab crunch machine 2 x 20

Gym Observations:

He's allowing personal trainers in the gym now. I swear I believe some people are idiots for hiring these half wits.  One woman trainer is particularly annoying. The woman is just a skinny 45 year old and she is not in shape. Talks about all her certificates and acts like she is the last word on training. These personal training certificates that take a week to get are a joke and a scam. 

Almost every parking space is taken this morning. Doesn't anyone have a job anymore?  Thanks Obama. Because of him the gym is packed.   ;D

It seems like the average weight of every guy now is over 200lbs.  America is just getting too fat. I look around the gym of chubby guys lifting weights when they should be doing cardio.

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #1639 on: April 29, 2016, 12:42:03 PM »
Thought I posted Wednesday's routine yesterday. Must have forgot to hit the "post" button cause it is not here.

Anyway, I continue to go to LA Fitness and doing so has been great for the most part. My hams and calves got a great workout on Wednesday. Yesterday I worked back. This was a little challenging because I had not scoped out the back training equipment beforehand. I found I needed to be really inventive. It must have worked cause my back was already feeling it this morning....hams too. Today I will train delts, traps and abs.

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
« Reply #1640 on: April 30, 2016, 02:14:07 AM »
Trained back and chest:

Pull ups 3 x max
Seated long pulls 2 x 12 170lbs
Dumbbell row off bench 2 x 10 85lbs (all the way down and up)
Hammer strength pulldowns 2 x 10

Hammer incline chest press 2 x 8 two 45lbs plates per side with some small plates)
Incline dumbbell press 2 x 7 75lbs (all the way down)
Machine flies 2 x 10
Push ups 1 x max

deadlifts 2 x 4 300lbs then 1 x 1 340lbs. (deads at the end of the work out. Limits weight used but feels safer. All warmed up.)
Weighted hyper extensions 2 x 15 25lb (Plate behind head)

Ab wheel roll out 2 x 20
ab crunch machine 2 x 20

Gym Observations:

He's allowing personal trainers in the gym now. I swear I believe some people are idiots for hiring these half wits.  One woman trainer is particularly annoying. The woman is just a skinny 45 year old and she is not in shape. Talks about all her certificates and acts like she is the last word on training. These personal training certificates that take a week to get are a joke and a scam. 

Almost every parking space is taken this morning. Doesn't anyone have a job anymore?  Thanks Obama. Because of him the gym is packed.   ;D

It seems like the average weight of every guy now is over 200lbs.  America is just getting too fat. I look around the gym of chubby guys lifting weights when they should be doing cardio.

I find here that the Chubby women are worse than the Chubby men. Itīs like you tell them the truth and after 5 mins walking on the treadmill they ask, "can we do something else?" and they always want to do AB exercises because they still think it will "Trim" down the Fat. The Vibro Plates are the best though, the chubby women love them. Shaking it all around ;D still at least they are in the Gym. I find that most of the Men understand they have to do cardio and diet much quicker and are generally more motivated.

njflex

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • HEY PAISAN
« Reply #1641 on: April 30, 2016, 06:54:21 AM »
delt day/bi/forearms catch was thurs workout...side note fri nite was daddy/daughter night in town 3 hrs dancing and treats with the girls,,they had good time ...

fr presses back 100 pct on these,,i get great pump on these ..115/135/155/155-135/115 drop 8/8/8 reps killer..

Donny's triset of terror fr/side/rear delt raises 20.25.25 db's 10 reps per my delts were blown up by now,,

2 single grips cable uprights x3

cable single grip raises x3 hands in rear..

bis
premade curl bar 70/80/90/90
seated with back against pad db curls 35/35/35
seated scott curl machine x3

forearms 5 sets behind back wrist curls

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
« Reply #1642 on: April 30, 2016, 07:01:01 AM »
delt day/bi/forearms catch was thurs workout...side note fri nite was daddy/daughter night in town 3 hrs dancing and treats with the girls,,they had good time ...

fr presses back 100 pct on these,,i get great pump on these ..115/135/155/155-135/115 drop 8/8/8 reps killer..

Donny's triset of terror fr/side/rear delt raises 20.25.25 db's 10 reps per my delts were blown up by now,,

2 single grips cable uprights x3

cable single grip raises x3 hands in rear..

bis
premade curl bar 70/80/90/90
seated with back against pad db curls 35/35/35
seated scott curl machine x3

forearms 5 sets behind back wrist curls
Nice work Steve. I just went earlier for a run in the woods nothing dramatic today.

njflex

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • HEY PAISAN
« Reply #1643 on: April 30, 2016, 07:22:22 AM »
Nice work Steve. I just went earlier for a run in the woods nothing dramatic today.
8)

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
« Reply #1644 on: April 30, 2016, 07:28:11 AM »
8)
wrote this before but it makes me sad how many trees they have cut down recently. One area where i go is like something out a WW1 no mans land scene. I honestly like seeing Deer and other animals in the woods. They will destroy the wild life :(

njflex

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • HEY PAISAN
« Reply #1645 on: April 30, 2016, 07:37:46 AM »
wrote this before but it makes me sad how many trees they have cut down recently. One area where i go is like something out a WW1 no mans land scene. I honestly like seeing Deer and other animals in the woods. They will destroy the wild life :(
they find anywhere to build here and its is sad..

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
« Reply #1646 on: April 30, 2016, 07:42:43 AM »
they find anywhere to build here and its is sad..
building new roads here too in every corner. I mean today i was shocked because i remember running in summer there and it was like really dense trees and bushes and i always ran on a small track going through. I mean it was full of wild life and all sorts of insects and flies, saw one time a weird Dragon fly thing that was huge..shit my self.. ;D

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #1647 on: May 01, 2016, 02:23:22 PM »
Within the city of Portland the zoning was changed to increase density. In some of the finest neighborhoods mansions are torn down so the builders can build 2 or more in its place. In the "working class" neighborhoods which have become far too expensive for a regular working class person to afford to live in, 50 X 100 lots allow for two houses instead of one. 20 foot wide town homes are replacing the older homes on these properties. Their street presence is usually a driveway and a garage. Stairways to the main floor can be inside or out. The back yards are tiny patios.

Every year more farm land is annexed into the Metro growth boundary which was meant to contain expansion outside the existing boundaries. This means farmland goes away and urban sprawl continues. About a mile away from my house is open farmland in an area known and the Stafford Triangle. All around this area there is urban sprawl, making the triangle more and more of a target. Fortunately, many very wealthy people have mansions on acreage in this area. Obviously, money talks.

As for trees, West Linn and neighboring Lake Oswego have some of the strictest rules regarding the removal of trees. One must get a permit to cut down any tree. Before a permit can be issued the city arborist visits the property and either approves or not a tree removal, then a conspicuous sign is put up for a month to allow neighbors to weigh in on the tree removal. If there are no objections, the tree(s) can then be removed. In Lake Oswego, no trees may be removed unless they are dead or otherwise threaten the safety of property and any dwellings.

Needless to say, these suburban neighborhoods have fairly lush vegetation. Surrounding my immediate area is a large green space which remains completely natural. There is a dirt path though the green space so that folks can enjoy it more. There is lots of wildlife in the green space which is connected to other natural green spaces all the way down to the Willamette river. We have raccoon, opossums, squirrels and loads  of birds visiting our yard throughout the year. So far the notorious cougar has stayed out.  

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #1648 on: May 01, 2016, 02:35:29 PM »
I'm off to LA fitness to complete this week's routine. I will be working quads and calves. I worked pecs yesterday.

When I woke up this morning my pecs were sore, especially around the inner and outer edges where the muscles tie-in. This is a new feeling. Using the machines obviously improved the stretch. I'm just glad I did not tear something. There has always been a wide separation between my pecs. Perhaps in time I can beef this up, closing the gap some.

When I went to the gym yesterday, there was a Cinco De Mayo celebration in the parking lot. I ended up walking the equivalent of a couple of blocks to get to the gym. I considered this cardio.  ;D

The weather today is great. It's supposed to be 82 degrees Fahrenheit today and the sun is shining. Tomorrow is supposed to get even hotter. According the the weather reports this is the warmest spring on record. Global warming???

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #1649 on: May 01, 2016, 05:56:04 PM »
Finished off my first week working out at LA fitness today. Although I could have done most of the exercises I did in the usual  and customary way, I chose to make this week a whole new experience....both mentally and physically. The freshness of using equipment I've not used before has been invigorating. Physically, I'm managed to utilize each muscle group in a slightly different way just by using alternate equipment and/or coming at the movement from a different angle. The result is that the mild muscle soreness suggests this was successful.

Today I worked quads and calves. One example of how the movements changed is leg presses. Instead of pushing the weight loaded foot plate up, you push you body away from the foot plate using a seated position. This way you can set how close you want your knees to come to your chest and you start the exercise from that position. I really liked how it made my feet feel firmly planted and placed and how I could avoid overextending my knees using another adjustment. I imagine this really reduces the possibility of knee and back injury. Leg extensions felt awkward at first. It took some tweaking of the settings to get the movement to feel right. Instead of hack squats, I was able to do V-squats. These too seemed kinder on my knees, although I found I was just breaking parallel instead of doing them "ass to the grass" style.

To work my buns more directly, I did lunges on a ramp using the handrail for balance. I don't feel I have a secure balance otherwise. I tried doing them across the open floor and it seemed like I might lose my balance and fall over. This hindered me from concentrating on the movement. My calves got a really good workout. I found where the seated calf raises are located today.

In general, I sacrificed resistance on most exercises, while increasing reps to make up for that. Next week, I will up the resistance.

When I got home, I notice this weird creeping vascular look I've been experiencing lately has started in my quads. If it keeps up, I will look like a human road map from head to toe. I used to think veins popping out of your skin looked freakish. I am over that now. I like how it gives the appearance of having thin skin. There is just this one problem area in my lower back where there is still some fat. It is a hard area to work. I think this is also why my ass still looks flat to me. All this self analyzing strikes me a my being very vain, which I already knew I was. But shit, the guy I see in the mirror sure as heck does not look any thing like your average 72 year old and I am loving it!  ;D