Author Topic: Don Imus Apologizes for Racial Slurs -- And FIRED  (Read 4926 times)

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
Don Imus Apologizes for Racial Slurs -- And FIRED
« on: April 06, 2007, 01:42:12 PM »
Talk-Radio Host Don Imus Apologizes for On-Air Racial Slurs Against Rutgers Women's Basketball Team
Friday, April 06, 2007

NEW YORK —  Syndicated talk-radio personality Don Imus apologized Friday for calling members of the Rutgers University women's basketball team "nappy-headed hos" during a segment yesterday in his "Imus in the Morning" show.

Imus and his producer and on-air sidekick, Bernard McGuirk, went on to further attack the black members of the team, calling them "jigaboos and wannabees."

In his apology, Imus called his comments "insensitive and ill-conceived."

"It was completely inappropriate, and we can understand why people were offended," he told listeners at the opening of his broadcast Friday morning.

He further called the comments "thoughtless and stupid" and said, "We're sorry."

The apology came after Imus initially brushed aside criticism, telling the New York Times "not worry about some idiot saying something meant to be amusing."

Rutgers officials issued a statement: "We agree with Mr. Imus that this was, in his own words, an 'idiot comment.' We are very proud of the success of the Rutgers women's basketball team. Coach Stringer and the Rutgers players are outstanding ambassadors for this great institution."

Shortly after Imus made his comments about the Rutgers team, MSNBC released the following statement: "While simulcast by MSNBC, 'Imus in the Morning' is not a production of the cable network and is produced by WFAN Radio. As Imus makes clear every day, his views are not those of MSNBC. We regret that his remarks were aired on MSNBC and apologize for these offensive comments."

The comments drew immediate outrage from the National Association of Black Journalists (NABJ), who had called for a boycott of his show until he issued a "sincere and unequivocal apology," referring to Imus as a "sophomoric host."

"Has he lost his mind?" asked NABJ President Bryan Monroe, vice president and editorial director for Ebony and Jet magazines in Chicago. "Those comments were beyond offensive. Imus needs to be fired. Today."

The veteran talk-jock's comments came during a discussion — that included WFAN show host Sid Rosenberg, McGuirk and show regular Charles McCord — about Rutgers' loss to Tennessee, 59-46, Tuesday night in the NCAA Women's Basketball Finals.

Imus: So, I watched the basketball game last night between — a little bit of Rutgers and Tennessee, the women's final.

Rosenberg: Yeah, Tennessee won last night — seventh championship for [Tennessee coach] Pat Summitt, I-Man. They beat Rutgers by 13 points.

Imus: That's some rough girls from Rutgers. Man, they got tattoos and —

McGuirk: Some hard-core hos.

Imus: That's some nappy-headed hos there. I'm gonna tell you that now, man, that's some — woo. And the girls from Tennessee, they all look cute, you know, so, like — kinda like — I don't know.

McGuirk: A Spike Lee thing.

Imus: Yeah.

McGuirk: The Jigaboos vs. the Wannabes — that movie that he had.

Imus: Yeah, it was a tough —

Charles McCord: Do The Right Thing.

McGuirk: Yeah, yeah, yeah.

Imus: I don't know if I'd have wanted to beat Rutgers or not, but they did, right?

Rosenberg: It was a tough watch. The more I look at Rutgers, they look exactly like the Toronto Raptors.

Rosenberg was twice fired from the Imus show, once for racist comments about Serena and Venus Williams, and again for remarks about singer singer Kylie Minogue, who was battling breast cancer.

"She won't look so pretty when she's bald with one [breast]," Rosenberg said on air.

Each time Imus rehired Rosenberg following on-air apologies.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,264646,00.html

ribonucleic

• Getbig V
  • I bring you ultimate reality!
Classy man.

Purge_WTF

I like Imus, but that was a stupid thing to say.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
MSNBC, CBS take Imus off air
POSTED: 9:16 p.m. EDT, April 9, 2007
Story Highlights• MSNBC, CBS to suspend Imus for two weeks
• Radio host Don Imus apologized on Al Sharpton's radio show
• Sharpton, NABJ calling for Imus to be fired
• Imus characterized Rutgers' team with offensive comments
Adjust font size:
NEW YORK (CNN) -- MSNBC and CBS Radio are suspending Don Imus for two weeks after the host described the Rutgers University women's basketball team as "nappy-headed hos," the networks announced Monday.

The suspensions start April 16, and MSNBC's "future relationship" with Imus depends on "his ability to live up to his word," according to a statement from NBC News. MSNBC simulcasts a television version of Imus' radio show.

"His dedication -- in his words -- to change the discourse on his program moving forward, has confirmed for us that this action is appropriate," the statement said. (Watch Imus on Sharpton's show )

Shortly after, CBS announced it plans to suspend its broadcast of Imus' radio program for the same two weeks.

The flap began Wednesday, the day after Rutgers lost the NCAA women's title to Tennessee. Imus told listeners, "That's some rough girls from Rutgers."

"Man, they got tattoos and some hard-core hos," he said. "That's some nappy-headed hos there, I'm going to tell you that now."

Imus apologized for the remark Friday and repeated the apology Monday, telling listeners, "I'm embarrassed that I did that."

"I'm a good person, but I said a bad thing," he said. "But these young women deserve to know that it was not said with malice."

. . .

http://www.cnn.com/2007/SHOWBIZ/TV/04/09/imus.rutgers/index.html

youandme

• Getbig V
  I like Imus, but that was a stupid thing to say.

It was, but it was blown out of proportion. Sharpton and Jackson divide people, and create these racial lines

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
Re: Don Imus Apologizes for Racial Slurs -- And FIRED
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2007, 04:31:38 PM »
Canned. 

MSNBC pulls 'Imus in the Morning'
POSTED: 6:41 p.m. EDT, April 11, 2007
Story Highlights• NEW: MSNBC will no longer simulcast the "Imus in the Morning"
• CBS Corp. director has called for Don Imus' firing
• More advertisers pull sponsorship from Imus' show
• Women's basketball team will meet with Imus

Adjust font size:
NEW YORK (CNN) -- MSNBC has canceled its "Imus in the Morning" simulcast, the network announced Wednesday.

The decision comes following remarks deemed racist and sexist that radio talk-show host Don Imus made last week about the Rutgers women's basketball team that prompted a number of advertisers to drop the program.

The NBC News statement said:

"This decision comes as a result of an ongoing review process, which initially included the announcement of a suspension. It also takes into account many conversations with our own employees. What matters to us most is that the men and women of NBC Universal have confidence in the values we have set for this company. This is the only decision that makes that possible. Once again, we apologize to the women of the Rutgers basketball team and to our viewers. We deeply regret the pain this incident has caused."

Earlier Wednesday, a member of CBS Corp.'s board of directors said Imus should be fired.

"As an African-American, I believe that Imus has crossed the line, a very bright line that divides our country," said Bruce Gordon, a CBS director and former president and CEO of the National Association for the Advancement of Colored People.

"His remarks are so significant that I believe that the right outcome is for him to be terminated." (Gallery: Other controversial comments aired on Imus show)

But Gordon said he feels that the two-week suspension CBS Radio levied against Imus is the "right step" for now. (Your e-mails on Imus)

"It affords management the opportunity to do due diligence and evaluate what this means to the company, the brand and what it stands for," he said, speaking as a board member. "Once due diligence is completed, it is my belief that the facts should determine that he should be terminated."

Gordon's statements come as more big sponsors withdrew their ads from the airing of "Imus in the Morning" on MSNBC. The television cable channel also suspended Imus for two weeks after he referred to the Rutgers players as "nappy-headed hos."

General Motors Corp. and Sprint Nextel both announced Wednesday they were suspending their advertising.

Procter and Gamble Co., Staples Inc. and Bigelow Tea Co. also have removed their ads from the program.

Rutgers players speak out
Imus "has stolen a moment of pure grace from us," the captain of the Rutgers women's basketball team said Tuesday, responding to the uproar over the radio host's comments.

Essence Carson and other players spoke out at a news conference in their first public statements since Imus' inflammatory remarks last week.

"I would like to express our team's great hurt, anger and disgust toward the words of Mr. Don Imus," Carson said. "We are highly angered at his remarks but deeply saddened with the racial characterization they entailed." (Watch as Carson says the issue is "about more than a game of basketball" )

Imus made the comments on his show April 4 after the underdog team lost the NCAA women's title to the University of Tennessee Lady Volunteers. He apologized on Friday and Monday before his suspension.

Other players echoed Carson's reaction, saying Imus' insulting words and the resulting controversy overshadowed their achievements. (Players talk of hurt, seeking understanding)

"Our moment was taken away -- our moment to celebrate our success, our moment to realize how far we had come, both on and off the court, as young women," said sophomore forward Heather Zurich. "We were stripped of this moment by degrading comments made by Mr. Imus last Wednesday. What hurts the most about this situation is that Mr. Imus knows not one of us personally."

On Wednesday morning, Stacy Brann, Rutgers team spokeswoman, said the players will meet with Imus this week. The day and location are still to be determined, she said.

"We just hope to come to some type of understanding of what the remarks really entailed, his reasons why they were said," Carson said.

"And we'd just like to express our great hurt, the sadness that he has brought to us."

Several players said they would welcome the chance for a face-to-face meeting with Imus.

"I would like to speak to him personally and ... ask him, after you've met me personally, do you still feel in this category that I'm still a 'ho' as a woman and as a black, African-American woman at that?" said Kia Vaughn, a sophomore center.

"I achieve a lot, and unless they have given this name of 'ho' a new definition, then that is not what I am."

Carson said, "We haven't personally received an apology. And personally, if someone were to apologize to me, I would feel better if I heard from them themselves. Reading it in a newspaper or watching on television or hearing it on radio doesn't serve any justice to what he said."

Coach C. Vivian Stringer praised the accomplishments and character of the team members, five of whom are freshmen. (Coach builds winners, despite adversity)

"Before you are valedictorians of their class, future doctors, musical prodigies, and yes, even Girl Scouts," she said. "They are young ladies of class, distinction, they are articulate, they are brilliant, they are gifted. They are God's representatives in every sense of the word." Stringer described the team's hard work to bounce back from defeats early in the season. (Read Stringer's complete comments)

http://www.cnn.com/2007/SHOWBIZ/TV/04/11/imus.rutgers/index.html

youandme

• Getbig V
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2007, 04:35:03 PM »
Wow, that's BS he apologized repeatedly. Oh well let the black rap disc jockeys say whatever they want ::)

tu_holmes

• Getbig V
  • Robot
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2007, 04:43:58 PM »
Wow, that's BS he apologized repeatedly. Oh well let the black rap disc jockeys say whatever they want ::)

That's not true... Star from "Star and buck" in the morning was fired after making statements about a local DJ and his family.

Wrong is wrong... Should he have been fired? It's a toss up... I mean, he didn't drop the N bomb, but he came about as close as you can without actually saying it.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2007, 04:47:07 PM »
I think the comments of guest were pretty bad:

tu_holmes

• Getbig V
  • Robot
« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2007, 04:50:31 PM »
I think the comments of guest were pretty bad:

See, that's what I think... I mean, yes, he called them nappy headed hos, but let's be honest for a moment, that's not quite the same as dropping the N bomb... It's bad, but I mean, I call some of my cousin's nappy headed hos... I mean, they ARE nappy headed hos, but I love 'em.

I don't see that as being near as bad as the N bomb.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2007, 04:56:14 PM »
See, that's what I think... I mean, yes, he called them nappy headed hos, but let's be honest for a moment, that's not quite the same as dropping the N bomb... It's bad, but I mean, I call some of my cousin's nappy headed hos... I mean, they ARE nappy headed hos, but I love 'em.

I don't see that as being near as bad as the N bomb.

I agree it's not nearly as bad as the N word. 

But should he have been fired?  I dunno.  What I suspect is some major MSNBC sponsors were threatening to pull out. 

I also don't like the fact people like Sharpton demanded an apology, which Imus did, then still demanded that Imus be fired.

kh300

• Getbig V
« Reply #11 on: April 11, 2007, 05:25:52 PM »
people are such pussies.. the girls said they are scared for life? give me a fucking break.. it was a stupid thing to say, and if they want to fire him then fine.. but people are acting like this is another rodney king beating.

chaos

• Getbig V
  • Ron "There is no freedom of speech here" Avidan
« Reply #12 on: April 11, 2007, 05:50:05 PM »
should have been NO APOLOGIES-NO REGRETS!!!
I'm so sick of PC shit I'm going to puke >:(
Liar!!!!Filt!!!!

Mr. Intenseone

« Reply #13 on: April 11, 2007, 06:14:14 PM »
Can't remember the dudes name, but some liberal actually had the balls to blame Bush for Imus' screw up...anyone else hear that?

Tre

• Expert
  • Getbig V
  • "What you don't have is a career."
« Reply #14 on: April 11, 2007, 06:20:02 PM »
Canned. 

Good.  It's what he deserves.

tu_holmes

• Getbig V
  • Robot
« Reply #15 on: April 11, 2007, 06:23:20 PM »
Can't remember the dudes name, but some liberal actually had the balls to blame Bush for Imus' screw up...anyone else hear that?
I didn't hear it, but I don't doubt it.

You can't stop Down's Syndrome people from speaking.

chaos

• Getbig V
« Reply #16 on: April 11, 2007, 06:27:19 PM »
Was it 240? :D
Liar!!!!Filt!!!!

youandme

• Getbig V
« Reply #17 on: April 11, 2007, 07:09:32 PM »

Makes more sense than firing the guy, but one proctor and gamble pull out your gone

kh300

• Getbig V
« Reply #18 on: April 11, 2007, 07:40:27 PM »

i swear on my mothers life this true story.. a few weeks ago im at the dentists to get a cleaning.. i asked him why my lymph nodes have been swollen. he blamed it on bush!!.. i was like your joking right? he goes no, because the temperatures have been screwed up this year because of global warming that its bad on my sinuses.. i said "so george bush is the cause of my swollen lymph nodes?" needless to say im searching for a new dentist. 

chaos

• Getbig V
« Reply #19 on: April 11, 2007, 08:04:05 PM »
i swear on my mothers life this true story.. a few weeks ago im at the dentists to get a cleaning.. i asked him why my lymph nodes have been swollen. he blamed it on bush!!.. i was like your joking right? he goes no, because the temperatures have been screwed up this year because of global warming that its bad on my sinuses.. i said "so george bush is the cause of my swollen lymph nodes?" needless to say im searching for a new dentist. 

:o AHAHAHAHAHAHHAHA, you better have your new dentist check for microchips!!HAHAHAHHA ;D
Liar!!!!Filt!!!!

youandme

• Getbig V
« Reply #20 on: April 11, 2007, 08:05:06 PM »

lmao, Why he is a Doctor?

Mr. Intenseone

« Reply #21 on: April 11, 2007, 08:52:34 PM »

Hahahahahaha..........se e, Liberals hate Bush so much, those idiots blame him for everything......hahahaha hahahahaha!

OzmO

• Getbig V
  • Drink enough Kool-aid and you'll think its healthy
« Reply #22 on: April 11, 2007, 09:31:00 PM »
Hahahahahaha..........see, Liberals hate Bush so much, those idiots blame him for everything......hahahaha hahahahaha!

nah,  personally,  i just blame him from making the worse foreign policy decision in the history of the Unite States of America.   Nothing more  ;D

Mr. Intenseone

« Reply #23 on: April 11, 2007, 09:53:50 PM »
nah,  personally,  i just blame him from making the worse foreign policy decision in the history of the Unite States of America.   Nothing more  ;D

Remember, they said the same about Reagan.

OzmO

• Getbig V
  • Drink enough Kool-aid and you'll think its healthy
« Reply #24 on: April 11, 2007, 10:01:14 PM »
Remember, they said the same about Reagan.

Yeah?   did Reagan put us in a similar mess?

Reagan wasn't that stupid.