Author Topic: British Bulldogs Thread:  (Read 182464 times)

Montague

• Getbig V
  • The black degelation does not know this nig - V.G.
British Bulldogs Thread:
« on: July 15, 2009, 04:55:42 PM »
Tom Billington has talked about this incident in detail in his book and within various interviews.
The injury occurred in Hamilton, Ontario and would begin a long series of back problems consisting of increasing severity for Billington.

Tom’s work and body were never the same after this match, which is widely considered to be the beginning of the end of the Dynamite Kid’s career.

Alex23

Re: Extremely RARE footage of Dynamite Kid’s infamous back injury:
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2009, 05:24:13 PM »
Don't mean to be a dick who the fuck is this or care ???

leonp1981

• Getbig IV
  • mmmmm....
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2009, 08:34:06 PM »
It's amazing how the smallest movement can cause such a serious injury.  All he did was jump over the guy, but he must have misplaced his feet and twisted something.  It's a shame to see that happen to a talented guy.

Hulkster

• Getbig V
  • ND ran away from me
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2009, 10:15:43 PM »
it can happen.

remember this:

kevin Nash returns after months with a quad injury and reinjures it simply by WALKING.
Flower Boy Ran Away

Playboy

• Getbig V
  • If the bar ain't bending, you're just pretending
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2009, 04:53:18 AM »
Tom Billington has talked about this incident in detail in his book and within various interviews.
The injury occurred in Hamilton, Ontario and would begin a long series of back problems consisting of increasing severity for Billington.

Tom’s work and body were never the same after this match, which is widely considered to be the beginning of the end of the Dynamite Kid’s career.

Good find Montague, I remembered hearing about this back in '86 but I always wondered how it happened.

leonp1981

• Getbig IV
  • mmmmm....
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2009, 07:03:36 AM »
it can happen.

remember this:

kevin Nash returns after months with a quad injury and reinjures it simply by WALKING.

I've always thought the Vince one was funny, how he just sits there after it happens.

Playboy

• Getbig V
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2009, 07:45:40 AM »
I've always thought the Vince one was funny, how he just sits there after it happens.

The thing is, what is he supposed to do? He tore his quad, he couldn't get up. That was embarassing for him. If i'm not mistaken he tore both quads there and was wheelchair bound for a while.

leonp1981

• Getbig IV
  • mmmmm....
« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2009, 10:18:16 AM »
The thing is, what is he supposed to do? He tore his quad, he couldn't get up. That was embarassing for him. If i'm not mistaken he tore both quads there and was wheelchair bound for a while.

It shows how tough the old man is, both quads torn, and he still gets on with the show!  Big Kevin Nash went down like a big girl.   ;D

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2009, 11:30:15 AM »
Good find Montague, I remembered hearing about this back in '86 but I always wondered how it happened.

Glad you guys liked it.
Last night was the first I’ve ever seen it myself – I didn’t even know that footage existed.

Yes, little things can lead to big injuries, although there is usually a lot more underlying factors leading up to it.

Remember that Dyno was big time into steroids, cocaine, speed, pain pills, uppers, downers, etc.
He was injecting cortisone into his shoulder several times per week at one point!
And, most of all, he was taking some MAJOR bumps.
He was the first to do the superplex off the top rope, and his matches with Sayama a few years before this incident were brutal – lots of wear and tear on the body.
And don’t forget that he usually took the brunt of the big impact moves for his team, while Davey often came in to make the save at the end of the match.

In his book, Tom goes into great detail about the circumstances leading up to, during, and immediately after this accident:
How he didn’t want to give Vince the tag belt while injured, the job the Bulldogs did to the Heart Foundation, how he was planning to really mess up Brutus Beefcake in an upcoming cage match, the infamous Jacques Rougeau incident(s), and the downslide of his ring career following all of this.

You can also find some of that info in various interviews he’s done since retiring.

Playboy

• Getbig V
« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2009, 12:01:00 PM »
Glad you guys liked it.
Last night was the first I’ve ever seen it myself – I didn’t even know that footage existed.

Yes, little things can lead to big injuries, although there is usually a lot more underlying factors leading up to it.

Remember that Dyno was big time into steroids, cocaine, speed, pain pills, uppers, downers, etc.
He was injecting cortisone into his shoulder several times per week at one point!
And, most of all, he was taking some MAJOR bumps.
He was the first to do the superplex off the top rope, and his matches with Sayama a few years before this incident were brutal – lots of wear and tear on the body.
And don’t forget that he usually took the brunt of the big impact moves for his team, while Davey often came in to make the save at the end of the match.

In his book, Tom goes into great detail about the circumstances leading up to, during, and immediately after this accident:
How he didn’t want to give Vince the tag belt while injured, the job the Bulldogs did to the Heart Foundation, how he was planning to really mess up Brutus Beefcake in an upcoming cage match, the infamous Jacques Rougeau incident(s), and the downslide of his ring career following all of this.

You can also find some of that info in various interviews he’s done since retiring.

I read in a magazine that he was taking 1,200 mgs of testosterone & injectable d-bol each day

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2009, 12:06:06 PM »
He also once purchased and used horse steroids when his regular supply ran out. Got a pretty bad reaction from it, too. :)

STARDOT

• Getbig II
« Reply #11 on: July 16, 2009, 01:17:44 PM »

is he still alive?

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #12 on: July 16, 2009, 02:46:46 PM »

is he still alive?

Yeah, but he’s not doing so hot.

I know that, shortly after retiring, he went to work on his old friend/former opponent John Naylor’s farm – not sure what kind of arrangement they had.
He remarried – don’t know what the status of that is now.

Last time he got any kind of mainstream press was when they interviewed him following the Chris Benoit incident.
They also interviewed his ex-wife Michelle (Julie Hart’s sister).
She had some shocking stories to tell.
Even more shocking is that he confirmed some of them.

FF to about 1:30 to see Dynamite Kid today:

Superboy Prime

• Getbig II
« Reply #13 on: July 17, 2009, 03:47:44 AM »
Don't mean to be a dick who the fuck is this or care ???

For all its worth and despite all the injuries Dynimate Kid had, he was probably the greatest and most talented wrestler ever. A price he has to pay for the wheelchair and injuries today.

So if you like wrestling, you should care.

Playboy

• Getbig V
« Reply #14 on: July 17, 2009, 05:05:09 AM »
He also once purchased and used horse steroids when his regular supply ran out. Got a pretty bad reaction from it, too. :)
The "horse steroids" he used was the old original veternary Ganabol (EQ). he ushered it in with the above two I mentioned. I seen him and Davey Boy Smith at the Toronto airport once back in 1986 when I was only 11 years old. They were built like buses and ripped.

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #15 on: July 17, 2009, 06:55:35 AM »
Do you remember Davey around 1991/92 – when he had the dreadlocks?
He worked a program with Hennig, and absolutely dwarfed him. Curt was no slouch, either.

Then he started tanning, and looked like he was about 8 weeks out from stepping on an IFBB stage.

But that period when he jumped back & forth between WCW and the Fed, leading up to his IC win over Bret at Wembley…that is the best I remember Bulldog ever looking.
PHENOMENAL.

Playboy

• Getbig V
« Reply #16 on: July 17, 2009, 08:27:36 AM »
Do you remember Davey around 1991/92 – when he had the dreadlocks?
He worked a program with Hennig, and absolutely dwarfed him. Curt was no slouch, either.

Then he started tanning, and looked like he was about 8 weeks out from stepping on an IFBB stage.

But that period when he jumped back & forth between WCW and the Fed, leading up to his IC win over Bret at Wembley…that is the best I remember Bulldog ever looking.
PHENOMENAL.

I agree. He bulked up even more in '91-92' when he returned wrestling solo. He was huge. It doesn't surprise me about dynamite though. I read his "Pure Dynamite" book and it was very interesting. He fucked up his back in that 1986 vid that you showed us and ever since then he has been on a Pain killer, rec drug, steroid, alcohol crash coarse. Add 300+ days of travel and taking bumps and sooner or later, your body is going to crash. He was taking 3 perkisets alone before each wrestling match against doctor's orders from late '86 - '92 when he retired.

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #17 on: July 17, 2009, 08:40:55 AM »
How about the chapter where he outlines his daily drug regimen:
Speed to wake up and catch the plane,
Valium to sleep on the plane,
Steroids before the gym,
Cortisone before the match,
Cocaine, booze, and percosets after the match,
Valium to fall asleep at night.

I don’t know if that’s exactly correct (my book is still packed up in one of many boxes from moving), but it’s close.

Out of all the pro wrestler autobiographies I’ve read, "Pure Dynamite" is on my "top 2 favorites" list.

Playboy

• Getbig V
« Reply #18 on: July 17, 2009, 11:13:09 AM »
How about the chapter where he outlines his daily drug regimen:
Speed to wake up and catch the plane,
Valium to sleep on the plane,
Steroids before the gym,
Cortisone before the match,
Cocaine, booze, and percosets after the match,
Valium to fall asleep at night.

I don’t know if that’s exactly correct (my book is still packed up in one of many boxes from moving), but it’s close.

Out of all the pro wrestler autobiographies I’ve read, "Pure Dynamite" is on my "top 2 favorites" list.

Close enough.... 8)

I remember reading that he took 3 perkoset before each match to numb his ailing back and musle relaxants afterward. Either way, that is a lot of druguse. Thats why I get nervous when these guys die because you have the general public blaming juice for it. Its not the juice. Its all the other crap they do plus the hectic scheduals. Its murder on your body.

Have you read the Bret Hart book? Its a good read as well. Very interesting.

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #19 on: July 17, 2009, 11:48:25 AM »
Thats why I get nervous when these guys die because you have the general public blaming juice for it. Its not the juice. Its all the other crap they do plus the hectic scheduals. Its murder on your body.

Repeat for the masses.

Have you read the Bret Hart book?

No.
I was worried it would only be a pity-party vehicle for Bret.
Does he do more than whine the whole way through?

Playboy

• Getbig V
« Reply #20 on: July 17, 2009, 12:12:18 PM »
Repeat for the masses.

No.
I was worried it would only be a pity-party vehicle for Bret.
Does he do more than whine the whole way through?

It's a good read. He basically tells you what happens behind the scenes, the parties, the drugs, the affairs with women, etc.

Quoted from Dynamite's autobiography...

In his autobiography, he writes: "A normal working day for me was: speed to wake me up in the morning to catch an early flight, valium to make me sleep on the plane, Percoset just before the match, then we'd wrestle, hit the beer, and the cocaine, until the early hours, before taking another valium to sleep at night."

"I was in good company, because the majority of wrestlers all shared more or less the same lifestyle."

Montague

• Getbig V
British Bulldogs Thread:
« Reply #21 on: July 18, 2009, 06:54:39 AM »
For all its worth and despite all the injuries Dynimate Kid had, he was probably the greatest and most talented wrestler ever. A price he has to pay for the wheelchair and injuries today.

So if you like wrestling, you should care.

During my “indy training days” NJPW was required study material, and we bought up anything with the Bulldogs – not that we would/could do ¾ of that stuff, but you paid attention to body language, cues and other subtleties. That’s how you learned psychology and “acting” in the ring.

Always interesting, too because Dyno spoke very little Japanese, and many of  the Japs couldn’t speak much English. How do you communicate with your opponent?
One of the promoters I worked for was a huge mark for early Japanese pro style.

While on the topic of rare Bulldog footage, below is a little seen clip of both cousins training in the gym.
It’s more of a promo than a workout, but fun for nostalgia nonetheless.

**I’m turning this into a British Bulldogs thread.
If anyone has anything even remotely interesting (good or bad), feel free to post it here – matches, interviews, facts, etc.**

Superboy Prime

• Getbig II
« Reply #22 on: July 18, 2009, 02:02:27 PM »
I said this before and I'll say it again, after the Road Warriors, the British Bulldogs are the greatest tag team of all time. And they probably would be the best if they had a longer run together. There was nothing this team couldn't do. I was simply in awe of them.

Does anyone remember one of their first squash matches on WWF t.v. and they got a standing ovation from the crowd? Like them, I never saw anything like it. They were truly that good.

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #23 on: July 18, 2009, 06:37:20 PM »
I don’t remember their first match, and I didn’t know it was a squash.
Here’s a clip I posted in another thread a few months ago featuring a young Mick Foley’s first WWF appearance – the same match he writes about in “Have a Nice Day” in which Dynamite dislocated his jaw.

Playboy

• Getbig V
« Reply #24 on: July 20, 2009, 11:29:47 AM »
Dyno was so stiff on that clothesline according to Foley he couldn't eat solid food for a week.