Author Topic: germany solves homelessness problem.  (Read 8429 times)

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
germany solves homelessness problem.
« on: January 31, 2021, 01:02:22 PM »
German City Installs Ulmer Nests, Sleeping Pods For Homeless People
3 min read
292.1 K Shares
Shreya Chauhan
Shreya Chauhan
Updated on Jan 22, 2021, 16:08 IST
Highlights
The pods, which are made from wood and steel, were put in parks and other places, a spokesman for the city said.
There are no cameras, and when they are in use, sensors are triggered.
A German city has built a series of pods for homeless people to be able to sleep in.

According to a report, the units, known as 'Ulmer Nest', were installed on January 8 by officials in Ulm, about 75 miles west of Munich, to provide shelter for sleepers during the cold winter months.

sleeping pod
Facebook/Ulmer Nest

The pods, which are made from wood and steel, were put in parks and other places, a spokesman for the city said.

To shield the homeless from the wind and cold, the beds have been equipped with thermal insulation. They are also big enough for use by two individuals.

There are no cameras, and when they are in use, sensors are triggered.

Those behind the project, amid some delays, announced that they had eventually been rolled out just as the weather began to take a turn for the worse.

The group wrote about it on Facebook, ‘Today the two Ulm nests were repositioned - unfortunately due to corona with delay, but just in time for the really cold nights. We hope to repeat last year's positive feedback in order to provide a supplementary measure regarding the existing frostbite protection in Ulm in the long term’.

Our Popular Products
See More
Also Read: First Indian To Travel Inside A Hyperloop Pod Is A Pune-Based Engineer Named Tanmay Manjrekar

sleep pod

Talking about the improvements they have inculcated, the group wrote, ‘We improved thermal internal isolation and took measures to optimize the climate (less moisture + warmer air). The nests are now equipped with solar panels, which allows (at least) energy neutral use during the day. Further energy saving measures are in the works’.

Ulmer Nests are also connected to the Ulmer LoRa-Wan-IoT-wireless network, and the long term plan is to depend on it entirely, so as not to depend on mobile networks.

‘The locking and the corresponding mechanisms have been completely revised and now offer easier operation and more interaction options for all involved’, the page wrote.

They are extremely easy to use, said Flaco Pross - who built the pods - and that people don't need to fill in any forms to register to use them.

Ulmer Nest
Facebook/Ulmer Nest

The pods were fitted with sensors that pick up whenever they are opened or closed. The next day, if they are still there, someone from the charity goes down to check on the pod and to give the user some assistance.

The charity will also check the pods for any damage caused, restoring them as soon as possible in order to ready them for use again.

The goal is to provide places to stay during the cold nights to sleepers in need, and, hopefully, give the charity the opportunity to initiate contact with them.

What do you think of this idea?

F

Henda

• Getbig V
Re: germany solves homelessness problem.
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2021, 01:03:41 PM »
I think it’s a twatfull idea filthy tramps should sleep in a puddle of piss in the gutter where they belong

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2021, 01:09:08 PM »
I think it’s a twatfull idea filthy tramps should sleep in a puddle of piss in the gutter where they belong

;D ;D ;D ;D
F

SOMEPARTS

• Getbig V
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2021, 01:13:52 PM »
"solves"

Meanwhile in San Francisco:

IroNat

• Getbig V
  • The only constant in life is change. – Heraclitus
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2021, 01:17:14 PM »
Seems like a good idea but in a week they'll be trashed, sh*t in, pissed on, graffitied, etc.

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2021, 01:18:20 PM »
German City Installs Ulmer Nests, Sleeping Pods For Homeless People

What do you think of this idea?

They look a lot better than the makeshift tents that you seen in cities across the US. I don't see any facilities or toilets. In German cities you pay/tip to use a bathroom in public places.

>:(

falco

• Getbig V
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2021, 01:24:20 PM »
I am trying to picture them filled with feces.

ThisisOverload

• Getbig V
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2021, 01:23:05 PM »
Seems like a good idea but in a week they'll be trashed, sh*t in, pissed on, graffitied, etc.

Yup, and rendered useless.

That's what people just don't understand. These governments are wasting money just so they "look" like they are making a difference; they aren't.

Most homeless people have serious issues that go far beyond not having a place to sleep.

You can't just give them things and expect them to act like normal people. They need a different form of help and most of them don't want any.

There is this homeless guy where i grew up, he's been on the streets for 20 years. He is mentally ill and refuses to take medication. His family lives a few miles from where he camps and has a free room for him. He does not want it, he wants to live on the streets. Doesn't do drugs or anything, just walks around all day talking to himself, completely harmless. His camp is in the woods behind a public park, the local cops leave him alone because he's out of sight. But if you walk back there it's atrocious. I doubt he's taken a shower in years.

_bruce_

• Getbig V
  • Sam Sesambröt Sulek
« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2021, 01:54:00 PM »

That's what people just don't understand. These governments are wasting money just so they "look" like they are making a difference; they aren't.

Most homeless people have serious issues that go far beyond not having a place to sleep.

You can't just give them things and expect them to act like normal people. They need a different form of help and most of them don't want any.

There is this homeless guy where i grew up, he's been on the streets for 20 years. He is mentally ill and refuses to take medication. His family lives a few miles from where he camps and has a free room for him. He does not want it, he wants to live on the streets. Doesn't do drugs or anything, just walks around all day talking to himself, completely harmless. His camp is in the woods behind a public park, the local cops leave him alone because he's out of sight. But if you walk back there it's atrocious. I doubt he's taken a shower in years.

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2021, 02:07:14 PM »

The homeless fellow you talk about probably is schizophrenic and suffers paranoia. It is common for people with mental illness to be completely detached from reality. As a result, many are content and even prefer homelessness. It is sad because there really isn't much anyone can do to help them get off the streets. Years ago, severely mentally ill people were basically locked up in mental hospitals, where they were forced to take medications that may or may not have treated their condition.

My schizophrenic aunt was in and out of the V.A. hospital and Camarillo, California's state mental hospital much of her adult life from middle age on. They'd put her on meds....probably anti-psychotics and she'd act more normal. She's be released from the hospital and eventually would stop taking her medication. She'd mess up in someway and be back in the hospital. It was a cycle she continued for the rest of her life. She had a small apartment in Venice Beach California which she eventually decided to move out of....onto the streets of L.A. She lived into her early 80's, which was longer than any of her siblings.

BB

• Getbig V
  • I hope I'm not boring you.
« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2021, 02:07:45 PM »
As mentioned, at least here in the US, they'd be turned into drug dens and fuck parlors before the week was out. Not to mention all the murders and assaults you'd wind up with when they started to battle over turf, and who owns which pod.

ThisisOverload

• Getbig V
« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2021, 02:12:55 PM »
The homeless fellow you talk about probably is schizophrenic and suffers paranoia. It is common for people with mental illness to be completely detached from reality. As a result, many are content and even prefer homelessness. It is sad because there really isn't much anyone can do to help them get off the streets. Years ago, severely mentally ill people were basically locked up in mental hospitals, where they were forced to take medications that may or may not have treated their condition.

My schizophrenic aunt was in and out of the V.A. hospital and Camarillo, California's state mental hospital much of her adult life from middle age on. They'd put her on meds....probably anti-psychotics and she'd act more normal. She's be released from the hospital and eventually would stop taking her medication. She'd mess up in someway and be back in the hospital. It was a cycle she continued for the rest of her life. She had a small apartment in Venice Beach California which she eventually decided to move out of....onto the streets of L.A. She lived into her early 80's, which was longer than any of her siblings.

Yeah he is a paranoid schizo.

His sister used to post on our neighborhood watch page. Said he would come stay with her for a few days and take his meds, then just disappear eventually. She's a nice lady and has stayed in the area just to look after him and take him food every day.

Apparently his only issue is exposing himself by randomly pissing wherever he pleases.

He's on another planet. Doesn't beg for money or anything, just wonders around talking nonsense.

Matt

• Getbig V
  • YouTube FitnessByMatt
« Reply #12 on: February 01, 2021, 02:14:57 PM »
^ And this is why less than one week of reading Getbig threads is worth more than a Canadian university education. The stupid assholes in universities won't mention ANY of those obvious forthcoming issues with those pods.

I wish all the stupid assholes who care so much about the homeless would let the homeless live with THEM. But no...they will never do THAT.

I wonder how long before these homeless pods are filled with shit.

Dave D

• Getbig V
« Reply #13 on: February 01, 2021, 02:15:57 PM »

I hear what you’re saying. Do you know if this community has looked into building a pod for him to sleep in? Just to help him out until he can get on his feet.

ThisisOverload

• Getbig V
« Reply #14 on: February 01, 2021, 02:19:58 PM »
I hear what you’re saying. Do you know if this community has looked into building a pod for him to sleep in? Just to help him out until he can get on his feet.

He's not able to really communicate unless he takes his meds.

His sister lives nearby and has a spare room he can stay at for free.

Apparently he stops by once every few years and will stay a few days and then disappear.

Even if you gave him a pod, he probably wouldn't fully comprehend the purpose and just use it for storage or something.

A lot of homeless people are mentally unstable. I've spent time at shelters and the majority of them are on another planet.

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #15 on: February 01, 2021, 02:21:18 PM »
Portland, OR has a serious homeless problem that keeps getting worse. Just this year, the city started building "tiny home pods" at last count there were 40 of them which have been placed in a large homeless camp. They are the approximate size of the average prefab garden shed. They have only been in place since last spring which might be too short a time to determine if they are successful.

Dave D

• Getbig V
« Reply #16 on: February 01, 2021, 02:28:27 PM »
He's not able to really communicate unless he takes his meds.

His sister lives nearby and has a spare room he can stay at for free.

Apparently he stops by once every few years and will stay a few days and then disappear.

Even if you gave him a pod, he probably wouldn't fully comprehend the purpose and just use it for storage or something.

A lot of homeless people are mentally unstable. I've spent time at shelters and the majority of them are on another planet.

I’m trolling you dude. You made excellent points and I was giving you the same lip service these governments do. They don’t want to address the real issues (or maybe they can’t) so they come up with an idea that on paper is better than nothing.

On paper the pods are a good idea. Until you experience people treating them like a restroom, having people doing drugs in them or being robbed or sexually assaulted while they are sleeping (I’m assuming the pods don’t lock).

But maybe it’s a financial issue and these communities have to spend it on something or they lose the money, so they invest in these pods.

ThisisOverload

• Getbig V
« Reply #17 on: February 01, 2021, 02:32:55 PM »
I’m trolling you dude. You made excellent points and I was giving you the same lip service these governments do. They don’t want to address the real issues (or maybe they can’t) so they come up with an idea that on paper is better than nothing.

On paper the pods are a good idea. Until you experience people treating them like a restroom, having people doing drugs in them or being robbed or sexually assaulted while they are sleeping (I’m assuming the pods don’t lock).

But maybe it’s a financial issue and these communities have to spend it on something or they lose the money, so they invest in these pods.

Sometimes can't tell. ;D

A lot of these programs are funded in a way that they need to spend to funds, so that's very good point.

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #18 on: February 01, 2021, 02:37:06 PM »

All of the things you mention already happen everyday with homeless folks living on the streets. Do you think these pods will make matters worse? It  in reading about them, the main purpose is to help keep homeless people from getting sick or freezing to death during the winter months. Pretty much the same is true for the tiny home pods in Portland. 

Hulkotron

• Getbig V
  • I ate an entire box of popsicles the day prior
« Reply #19 on: February 01, 2021, 03:36:08 PM »
They will all be utterly disgusting within a month if not much sooner.

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #20 on: February 01, 2021, 04:23:31 PM »

I am not disagreeing with you because, frankly, I have no experience with this in regards to homeless people. For as long as I can remember, I've heard that people appreciate what they pay for, which suggests they don't appreciate what they get for free.

Once I sold a house to neighbors by letting them assume the loan because I was anxious to move. They defaulted within a year or so. Not only that, I didn't find out until much later that when someone assumes your mortgage, even when the lender agrees to it, it does not completely relieve you of all responsibility. The lender eventually foreclosed. They offered me the opportunity to buy the house back for what was owed plus some fees. However, when I toured the house, it was trashed, so I declined. Later, when I bought another property, that default showed up in my name. Fortunately, this didn't keep me from getting a mortgage on the new place.     

Matt

• Getbig V
  • YouTube FitnessByMatt
« Reply #21 on: February 01, 2021, 05:02:49 PM »

Hahahahahaha!!! I love how you say EXACTLY what I want to say in one sentence, when it takes me 10,000 words.

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #22 on: February 01, 2021, 06:11:22 PM »
Hahahahahaha!!! I love how you say EXACTLY what I want to say in one sentence, when it takes me 10,000 words.

Have you learned anything because of this?

Someone who is no longer speaking to me, once made a point of telling me that I was far too verbose. I thought he was and asshat at the time, but he was right.

Walter Sobchak

• Getbig V
  • HANKINS IS A FUCKING LIAR & QUITTER
« Reply #23 on: February 01, 2021, 06:13:41 PM »
Have you learned anything because of this?

Someone who is no longer speaking to me, once made a point of telling me that I was far too verbose. I thought he was and asshat at the time, but he was right.

Fuck off.

Take your Pillowtalk adoration with you, disgusting pedo kunt.

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #24 on: February 01, 2021, 06:18:55 PM »
Fuck off.

Take your Pillowtalk adoration with you, disgusting pedo kunt.

LOL! It definitely wasn't Pillowtalk. Guess again.