Author Topic: A test of Getbigger's knowledge of the resistance curve: Single dumbbell lateral  (Read 11678 times)

pellius

• Getbig V
  • RIP Keith Jones aka OnlyMe/NoWorries. 1/10/2011
So I was having a discussion with someone who was doing one-arm dumbbell lateral raises where you brace yourself at an angle. Say, you are doing it with your right arm, is it better to do it leaning on your left side or is it better to hold on to something and lean to your right side?

bhank

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • 2024 NPC Charlotte Cup Champion
So I was having a discussion with someone who was doing one-arm dumbbell lateral raises where you brace yourself at an angle. Say, you are doing it with your right arm, is it better to do it leaning on your left side or is it better to hold on to something and lean to your right side?

Yes we have all seen people hanging from equipment sideways trying to change the angle of an arm raise. Does any of that shit make a real difference? Hell no just do two arms at the same time or use cables for increased range of resistance

IroNat

• Getbig V
  • The only constant in life is change. – Heraclitus
We need EMG data.

Marty Champions

• Getbig V
Best to lay on a bench or floor on left side or even lay on back for crazy rear delt stretch
A

ProudVirgin69

• Getbig V
  • hardcore redneck electric champion
in theory, the load on the shoulder joint will be highest when the extended arm is parallel to the ground.  Adjusting the position of the torso can change the point during the ROM in which peak tension occurs.  So the idea might hold some merit.

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
vince says use the peek a boo bench to do it right.  ;D
F

Thin Lizzy

• Getbig V
  • It’s all a fraud
Yes we have all seen people hanging from equipment sideways trying to change the angle of an arm raise. Does any of that shit make a real difference? Hell no just do two arms at the same time or use cables for increased range of resistance

You can make a case that exercises like lateral raises that deliberately put you in a position of bad leverage are a bad idea as you put an unusual amount stress on a single joint and the musculature in that area. For example, lifters do wide grip benches to hit  the outer part of the pec and that’s also where most pec tears occur.

Van_Bilderass

• Getbig V
  • "Don't Try"
I will say that single arm laterals are way better than bilateral.

Of course your body angle changes how it hits, lean left and the start is harder.

When doing cable pulley laterals you can achieve the same effect by having the pulley wheel about the height of your hand. If the wheel is at ground level you can change the lresistance curve simply by stepping further out. Say you do front cable raises and hit failure, take a big step forward and you can get a rep or two more.

ProudVirgin69

• Getbig V
  • hardcore redneck electric champion
You can make a case that exercises like lateral raises that deliberately put you in a position of bad leverage are a bad idea as you put an unusual amount stress on a single joint and the musculature in that area. For example, lifters do wide grip benches to hit  the outer part of the pec and that’s also where most pec tears occur.

Great point.  I think they're workable but they need to be programmed with this in mind.  Lots of volume, low weights, intensity techniques

ThisisOverload

• Getbig V
I never liked using DB's for these.

At my gym there is a machine with a handle that you can adjust and do the motion. Seems to work better.

Or i use a low cable and pull across my body, takes some getting used to but it smokes my delts fast.

joswift

• Competitors
  • Getbig V

wes

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • What Dire Mishap Has Befallen Thee
I hate one arm laterals with dumbells.....I do them using cables behind my back........great stretch and if done trictly without momentum,constant tension.

Generally I just do regular two arm laterals.

Megalodon

• Getbig V
By leaning to the right in the right arm example, they say that, by leaning, you "remove the beginning portion of the raise where the supraspinatus is most active", allowing the side delts to be activated through a full rom.

https://builtwithscience.com/dumbbell-shoulder-exercises/
Study:

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/7552678/

Humble Narcissist

• Getbig V
This^  I don't do lateral raises.

pellius

• Getbig V

Thank you for that well thought out response. Since being on this board you have quickly established a reputation as a very deep thinker with a massive intellect who has all his priorities in life on point.

pellius

• Getbig V
Best to lay on a bench or floor on left side or even lay on back for crazy rear delt stretch

We are not talking about that.

pellius

• Getbig V
in theory, the load on the shoulder joint will be highest when the extended arm is parallel to the ground.  Adjusting the position of the torso can change the point during the ROM in which peak tension occurs.  So the idea might hold some merit.

I thought I posed the question in a very simple matter yet none thus far have been able to even address it let alone speculate on its efficiency.

Yes, the ROM changes but what do you think is superior? Leaning to the left or leaning to the right when doing single dumbell LATERALS with your RIGHT hand. And what is your reasoning.

pellius

• Getbig V
vince says use the peek a boo bench to do it right.  ;D

OK, though no direct answer offered the picture implies what I am assuming, since you really didn't state it directly, that if you are going to use the "leaning" style that you should lean to the left when doing laterals on your right side. If my assumption is true what is your reasoning.

pellius

• Getbig V
I will say that single arm laterals are way better than bilateral.

Of course your body angle changes how it hits, lean left and the start is harder.

When doing cable pulley laterals you can achieve the same effect by having the pulley wheel about the height of your hand. If the wheel is at ground level you can change the lresistance curve simply by stepping further out. Say you do front cable raises and hit failure, take a big step forward and you can get a rep or two more.

What do you think is superior assuming that you believe it matters? Lean to the left or lean to the right when doing single laterals with your right hand?

pellius

• Getbig V
I never liked using DB's for these.

At my gym there is a machine with a handle that you can adjust and do the motion. Seems to work better.

Or i use a low cable and pull across my body, takes some getting used to but it smokes my delts fast.

Yes, there are superior movements to the dumbbell laterals done in any style. But limiting the movement to just single arm dumbbell laterals with your right hand should you lean to your left or your right.

bhank

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • 2024 NPC Charlotte Cup Champion
Thank you for that well thought out response. Since being on this board you have quickly established a reputation as a very deep thinker with a massive intellect who has all his priorities in life on point.

I used to do 3 sets of 10 side front and rear lateral raises in college. You know what happened my delts overpowered everything and then I wound up getting multiple shoulder surgeries. I do not train delts at all now. You hit the shoulder on chest day back day and arm day they are getting too much work isolating them and doing a gazillion side raises is asking for problems.

pellius

• Getbig V

I wasn't going to watch the entire twenty minutes but fortunately scrolling through I stumbled upon the topic at hand and Brignole is spot on. But again, living in an imperfect world given the two alternatives which is better? Leaning left or leaning right when training the right deltoid.

pellius

• Getbig V
I hate one arm laterals with dumbells.....I do them using cables behind my back........great stretch and if done trictly without momentum,constant tension.

Generally I just do regular two arm laterals.

Again, it's not which movement or equipment you find to be the most optimal but given the two alternatives which is better and why?

pellius

• Getbig V
By leaning to the right in the right arm example, they say that, by leaning, you "remove the beginning portion of the raise where the supraspinatus is most active", allowing the side delts to be activated through a full rom.

https://builtwithscience.com/dumbbell-shoulder-exercises/
Study:

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/7552678/

And your choice would be?

pellius

• Getbig V
This^  I don't do lateral raises.

Sigh, I guess this thread failed miserably. Not a single person was able to answer what I thought was a simple direct question with a direct answer. When I look around on the gym floor and see all these people doing all these different movements I often wonder if any of them have given even a moment of thought to what they are doing and does it make sense. That's why you see people doing side bends while holding a weight in each hand or doing tricep kickbacks.