Author Topic: Beckham supposed to save Football in the USA: Signs a 5-year $250 million deal  (Read 8858 times)

210 and growing

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
Breaking news in England. Should help raise the profile of soccer in the US

Faust

• Getbig IV
  • It's a league game, Smokey
Re: Beckham is signing for LA Galaxy
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2007, 07:23:05 AM »
Nobody in the US will care much.

He has zero personality and a high pitched voice.
He's skinny and going downhill fast.
$

body88

« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2007, 07:26:40 AM »
I care... I bought NE revolution tickets this year!!! I am getting into the soccer thing!

Camel Jockey

• Getbig V
  • Mel Gibson and Bob Sly World Domination
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2007, 07:28:11 AM »
He should stay in Europe.

Diesel1

• Getbig V
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2007, 08:14:38 AM »
He'll do well in the MLS and be a major boost to whichever team (LA Galaxy most likely). It's not like he's over the hill, he just lacks pace which really doesn't matter in MLS. Still one of the best free kick takers in the world andf his passing is second to none

body88

« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2007, 08:18:05 AM »
He'll do well in the MLS and be a major boost to whichever team (LA Galaxy most likely). It's not like he's over the hill, he just lacks pace which really doesn't matter in MLS. Still one of the best free kick takers in the world andf his passing is second to none

Honestly, this will make a difference in American soccer. Last year the world cup had alot of interest here in Boston. I have no idea how it was in other major cities, but soccer is starting to catch on.

They talk about it on the hardcore sports radio . That never happened before. This guy named Pete Shepard ( a radio host on the number one sports radio station in America) loves soccer. he talks about the NE revolution all the time. He also spent a lot of time covering the world cup. A radio host named MIke Adams on the same station has several pro soccer figuers on from time to time.

Diesel1

• Getbig V
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2007, 08:55:14 AM »
Honestly, this will make a difference in American soccer. Last year the world cup had alot of interest here in Boston. I have no idea how it was in other major cities, but soccer is starting to catch on.

They talk about it on the hardcore sports radio . That never happened before. This guy named Pete Shepard ( a radio host on the number one sports radio station in America) loves soccer. he talks about the NE revolution all the time. He also spent a lot of time covering the world cup. A radio host named MIke Adams on the same station has several pro soccer figuers on from time to time.

It will make a HUGE difference to US soccer. David Beckham is without doubt the most recognizable name in world soccer. Even in America he is very well known. he's gonna bring a lot of very good publicty to the sport and hopefully spark some fresh interest.

body88

« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2007, 08:57:54 AM »
It will make a HUGE difference to US soccer. David Beckham is without doubt the most recognizable name in world soccer. Even in America he is very well known. he's gonna bring a lot of very good publicty to the sport and hopefully spark some fresh interest.

Yep, his name alone will bring new fans to the game. LA is a perfect place for him to be. I hope he gets things cracking. If you attend a soccer game you see why it is a great sport.

210 and growing

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2007, 09:01:43 AM »
Nobody in the US will care much.

He has zero personality and a high pitched voice.
He's skinny and going downhill fast.

I think you will find you are wrong - he is gonna receive just under half a million pounds a week to move there - nobody would pay that sort of money if they didnt see it as a surefire investment.

Faust

• Getbig IV
  • It's a league game, Smokey
« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2007, 09:41:11 AM »
I think you will find you are wrong - he is gonna receive just under half a million pounds a week to move there - nobody would pay that sort of money if they didnt see it as a surefire investment.

Ok, yeah my first post wasn't really thought out.

Still, he has zero personality and he's over the hill, he likes publicity way too much which is why he wants to break through in the US.

But his name could bring in a lot of revenues. Whatever team he plays on will get a publicity/financial boost. And in a lesser competition he can probably still stand out.
$

ieffinhatecardio

• Getbig V
  • More proof God is a man.
« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2007, 09:41:36 AM »

I hate to burst your bubble but ultimately this won't do anything for MLS. They will see a slight boost initially but that will quickly die off.

The only reason that fat blowhard Pete Shepherd cared about soccer last year was because the Italians were in the World Cup. And just to show what a moron Shepherd is, he changed his last name. He's actually Italian and was born with an Italian last name but he changed it when he got into the radio business.  ::) As if there's some stigma attached to having an Italian sounding last name. The guys an idiot.

Boston doesn't care about The Revolution. There are thousands upon thousands of immigrants that care about the World Cup and every few years they celebrate but true Bostonians couldn't care less about The Revolution or the MLS or the World Cup.   

Hell, I get offered free tickets to Revolution games all the time. You can't give those things away.

body88

« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2007, 09:45:22 AM »
ok......

ieffinhatecardio

• Getbig V
  • More proof God is a man.
« Reply #12 on: January 11, 2007, 09:46:15 AM »

I think you're going to find that you're wrong. MLS doesn't generate enough revenue to support such a salary. The reports are that his contract his worth $250 million over 5 years. There is no way those are accurate numbers, it would be the most foolish contract in the history of professional sports.

I'm sure he's making a fat salary but that most of the HUGE money is incentive based, incentives I might add that he'll never reach. As I said in another post, MLS will see an initial jump in interest but it won't last long. Ultimately his signing will be of no consequence to the popularity of MLS in the US.

Scimowser

• Getbig V
  • Make them remember you
« Reply #13 on: January 11, 2007, 01:37:25 PM »
thats correct, hes getting £128 million over 5 years. Thats a shit load of moolah to throw at someone, perhaps they have bought the exclusive rights to his image with that though? that alone would make you a heavy profit. The US has lond been thought of as a footballers graveyard - where the good ones go to finish their careers for good money. Beckham still has a hell of a lot to offer, i really believe he could still feature in the upcoming Euro Championships or the next - and his definite last - World Cup.

His fitness is not a problem, Sir Alex Ferguson claimed that hes the most naturally fit person he has ever come across. His ability is without question, his ability with a dead ball is second to none and he will try all day long for the team. This is a good move for him and an excellent move for US "soccer" as they have never had a more high profile player in its existance. Good luck to him
Scouser on Tour

210 and growing

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #14 on: January 11, 2007, 01:48:56 PM »
I think you're going to find that you're wrong. MLS doesn't generate enough revenue to support such a salary. The reports are that his contract his worth $250 million over 5 years. There is no way those are accurate numbers, it would be the most foolish contract in the history of professional sports.

I'm sure he's making a fat salary but that most of the HUGE money is incentive based, incentives I might add that he'll never reach. As I said in another post, MLS will see an initial jump in interest but it won't last long. Ultimately his signing will be of no consequence to the popularity of MLS in the US.

well we shall see wont we. dont get me wrong, im not a beckham fan, i think he is 1 fuc king sh ithouse pussy!! but he is probably the most globally recognised sporting icon in the world right now that is still active

210 and growing

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #15 on: January 11, 2007, 01:56:18 PM »
p.s. maybe apart from tiger woods

Ron

• Getbigistrator
  • Getbig V
  • Getbig!
David Beckham to play for L.A. Galaxy
« Reply #16 on: January 11, 2007, 02:14:19 PM »
That's right - Bend in like Beckham is coming to my home town! Time to get him on some sports supplements in exchange for tickets!

By CHRIS LEHOURITES AP Sports Writer

Soccer star David Beckham says he's it's time for another challenge. David Beckham, speaking in video news release courtesy of Major League Soccer. Soccer star David Beckham says he's it's time for another challenge.  Video Report LONDON — Roll out the red carpet, Hollywood. The David Beckham show is coming to town. It's not "Bend it Like Beckham" this time, though. It's more like "Spend it Like Beckham." The most recognized player on the planet _ fashion icon, tabloid fixture, marketing giant and husband of a former Spice Girl _ is taking his game and fame to Tinseltown, and he's going to be earning an estimated $250 million for the five years of his contract.

The 31-year-old former England captain agreed to a deal Thursday to play for the Los Angeles Galaxy of Major League Soccer, turning down a two-year contract extension from Real Madrid for a chance to lift soccer's profile in the United States.

"There are so many great sports in America," the former Manchester United star said. "There are so many kids that play baseball, American football, basketball. But soccer is huge all around the world apart from America, so that's where I want to make a difference with the kids."

Beckham, who has failed to win any major titles in 3 1/2 seasons in Madrid, said the time was right for a change.

"I've played now for two of the biggest clubs in the world and played at the highest level for 15 years, and now I think that I need another challenge," Beckham said.

Beckham will become the biggest star to play soccer in the United States since Pele and Franz Beckenbauer played in the now-defunct North American Soccer League in the 1970s.

The Galaxy, citing industry experts, said the LA deal is worth more than $250 million in salary and commercial endorsements _ about $1 million a week _ and is "thought to be the biggest in sporting history."

"David Beckham is a global sports icon who will transcend the sport of soccer in America," MLS commissioner Don Garber said.

Beckham and his pop star wife, Victoria, should fit in just fine in LA. Beckham opened a soccer academy in Carson, California, last year, and Victoria was photographed house-hunting in the area.

A celebrity who draws paparazzi like a movie star, Beckham and his wife regularly find their way onto tabloid and magazine covers. With trendy clothes, rotating hair colors and styles and a glamorous wife, he's the epitome of the modern mix of celebrity and athlete. He's even had a movie named after him: "Bend it like Beckham."

His soccer skills are only part of the equation. He's David Beckham Inc., a multinational corporation with links to Pepsi, Gillette, Motorola and Adidas.

MLS even changed its rules on salary caps, clearing the way for Beckham to sign the lucrative deal and become the first player to be signed under the new rule.

"I'm going out there to hopefully build a club and team that's got a lot of potential," Beckham said. "I think that's what excites me."

Los Angeles opens its season April 8 in Houston, but Beckham is not expected to join the team until August. His four-year contract with Madrid expires at the end of this season.

"For the rest of this season I will continue to give 100 percent to my coach, teammates and fans as I believe (coach) Fabio Capello will bring this club and its supporters the success they truly deserve," said Beckham, who trained with Madrid in the Spanish capital Thursday.

But Beckham has not found much success since he moved to Madrid in 2003 from Manchester United, where he had had won six league titles, two FA Cups and the Champions League title. He has no major trophies with the nine-time European Cup champions.

"I've enjoyed my time in Spain. It's been an incredible experience for me and my family," Beckham said.

Under Capello this season, things have gotten worse. Beckham has started only seven of 25 matches and was left off the squad for Thursday's Copa del Rey match against Real Betis.

Before the season started, Beckham led England to the quarterfinals of the World Cup, scoring from a free kick in the second round to beat Ecuador 1-0.

But he was taken off the field early in the second half against Portugal with ankle and Achilles tendon injuries, and then watched as his team was eliminated in a penalty shootout.

A day after the game, Beckham stepped down as captain of the team _ a post he had held for 58 of his 94 international appearances. Then, on Aug. 11, England coach Steve McClaren dropped Beckham from the team altogether, signaling the end of his international career.

Then came more heartache in Madrid.

He was injured in November when he was allowed to travel to Rome to visit Tom Cruise and Katie Holmes, but Beckham was forced to skip the wedding and return to Madrid to sit on the bench _ another sign that his days in Madrid under Capello were numbered.

Hedgehog

• Getbig V
  • It Rubs The Lotion On Its Skin.
Beckham supposed to save Football in the USA: Signs a 5-year $250 million deal
« Reply #17 on: January 11, 2007, 05:51:28 PM »
Incredible.

Beckham, six months ago he was fired off the England squad.

Recently, he's been a water boy on the Real Madrid team.

You would think he would end up playing his last few years in either some sand league like Dubai, or retire.

Not Becks, nooo.

He gets signed for 5 years, and $250 millions.

And the guy was never even a dominant player to begin with? ;D

Oh brother, all I gotta say is: Good job mate, you really fooled those suckers.

Question for Diesel and Nordic: Do you agree with me in that this may be the biggest scam in sport history? ;D

-Hedge

PS
I almost feel sorry for that Major Soccer League or whatever it is.

edit: Didn't see there was another thread about this, merge anyone?
As empty as paradise

Camel Jockey

• Getbig V
  • Mel Gibson and Bob Sly World Domination
He wont do jackshit for soccer in America.

Fury

• Getbig V
  • All aboard the USS Leverage
It's a sad day in the world when some schmuck is getting paid $50 million/year to play soccer in a shitbag league that no one cares about.

210 and growing

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
It's a sad day in the world when some schmuck is getting paid $50 million/year to play soccer in a shitbag league that no one cares about.

amen to that - theworld is well and truly f u cked up !!  :-\

Your MAAAAaaaa

• Time Out
  • Getbig IV
  • GETBIGS MINISTER OF SEXUAL HEALTH
« Reply #21 on: January 12, 2007, 10:18:40 AM »
He should stay in Europe.

Why when he get get paid such ludicrous money in th US?

ta ta
Pm me for STI advice @ NO COST

body88

« Reply #22 on: January 12, 2007, 10:24:56 AM »
Why when he get get paid such ludicrous money in th US?

ta ta

A lot of it comes from endorsement deals. Someone obviously thinks the brand that is Beckham will make them a shit load of money. People over here have no been exposed to him like across the pond. You saw how big a star he was over there.

Your MAAAAaaaa

• Time Out
  • Getbig IV
  • GETBIGS MINISTER OF SEXUAL HEALTH
Well they sold 1000 season tickets as soon as he signed, shirts sales will go crazy.

Brand Beckham sadly is still growing, women fancy him and blokes want his wife, (she is part of the brand) and unless he get injured he will do well there.

They hang around with the A list so its win win for all concerned.

I say good luck to him as he was a good servant to England and always puts 100% in, tons of heart.

ta ta
Pm me for STI advice @ NO COST

RUDE BUOY

• Getbig V
  • The Franchise
« Reply #24 on: January 12, 2007, 01:25:47 PM »

i agree whith diesel its would be like shaq goin to europe to play ball and it dont matter how much goals becks gets or if the extreme win look at all the coverage the mls already has gotten and to think it ends with becks would be crazy there are a lot of teams in the us that are waving money in the faces of these euro players