Getbig Main Boards > Gossip & Opinions

when did off-season bodybuilders stop going 10lbs over their contest weight?

(1/5) > >>

Royalty:
I remember magazines you to say that several pro's....like Haney, Labrada, Gaspari, Christian, and Ray would stay very lean in the off season.

I think in 1991-92 Dorian Yates, Mike Mattarazzo, Kevin Levrone, and Gary Strydom scared these guys either into retirement, or into being more proactive about gaining size.

Either way, I would say that the average pro goes up to 40lbs over their stage weight duing the off-season

the shadow:

--- Quote from: Royalty on February 07, 2007, 07:05:36 AM ---I remember magazines you to say that several pro's....like Haney, Labrada, Gaspari, Christian, and Ray would stay very lean in the off season.

I think in 1991-92 Dorian Yates, Mike Mattarazzo, Kevin Levrone, and Gary Strydom scared these guys either into retirement, or into being more proactive about gaining size.

Either way, I would say that the average pro goes up to 40lbs over their stage weight duing the off-season

--- End quote ---
dude yates was always lean.even at 300lbs he looked pretty lean.same goes for gary too.

210 and growing:
it cant be healthy to stay too close to contest weight, if you think about the principles involved. If they are at 3% for a show, then if they go to 12-13% off-season (which is still reasonable), then this would be between 30-40lbs of weight (3-4lb per % of body fat is generally considederd normal). This would mean somebody like dexter, if hes around 210-220 on stage, being 250's in the off-season. However, as it is dangerous to stay near contest condition all yr round, i would imagine it is equally as bad to go up to around 30% fat like kamali !!

Royalty:

--- Quote from: the shadow on February 07, 2007, 07:07:14 AM ---dude yates was always lean.even at 300lbs he looked pretty lean.same goes for gary too.

--- End quote ---

Yeah they were lean....I saw Yates in 1995 @ 300.

But he was still competing at 255-260 (way lighter than he should have been)

I think Strydom won the 1991 WBF show @ 260.

Royalty:

--- Quote from: 210 and growing on February 07, 2007, 07:10:23 AM ---it cant be healthy to stay too close to contest weight, if you think about the principles involved. If they are at 3% for a show, then if they go to 12-13% off-season (which is still reasonable), then this would be between 30-40lbs of weight (3-4lb per % of body fat is generally considederd normal). This would mean somebody like dexter, if hes around 210-220 on stage, being 250's in the off-season. However, as it is dangerous to stay near contest condition all yr round, i would imagine it is equally as bad to go up to around 30% fat like kamali !!

--- End quote ---

Well I also think that guys would take extended time off the drugs after the shows. They would lose a muscle and put on some fat....so their weight didnt fluctuate too much....just their body composition.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version