Author Topic: The Making of The Long Road to Compete 2005 -2007  (Read 757965 times)

michael arvilla

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • facebook.com/michael.arvilla
Re: The Making of The Long Road to Compete 2005 -2007
« Reply #1450 on: January 12, 2006, 07:13:01 AM »
MEAL 1: 12 egg whites 1 yolk ,1 cup of oatmeal

MEAL 2: 12 oz tuna (from the can) 1 cup of cooked rice

MEAL 3: 12 oz very lean ground beef 12 oz baked or sweet potato

MEAL 4: 12 oz of chicken breast 1 cup of cooked rice

MEAL 5 : after workout protein shake, 1 cup oatmeal

MEAL 6: same as meal 1

MEAL 7: protein shake

MEAL 8: wake up for this one 50 g whey protein

that's pretty much it...................... .............(sometimes i substitute chicken for the beef)

michael arvilla

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
« Reply #1451 on: January 12, 2006, 07:19:21 AM »
 MIKES Workout
Monday - Chest
Flat Bench
135 lbs 12-15 reps (warm-up)
225 lbs 12-15 reps (warm-up)
315 lbs 10-12 reps
405 lbs 5-6 reps

Incline Dumbbell Bench
120 lbs 10 reps
150 lbs 10 reps
150 lbs 6-10 reps
For a finishing exercise, I do cable crossovers, or dumbell flyes
Tuesday - Back and Hamstrings
I always start with pull-ups as I think they are a great way to not only warm-up your entire back, but to also build thick muscles.
Pull-Ups
3 sets 10-15 reps
Reverse Grip Bent-Over Rows
225 lbs 10 reps
315 lbs 10 reps
315 lbs 10 reps
225 lbs 10 reps
Strongest Range Dead Lifts
I will normally start with 315 lbs on the bar and progress up
Pull-Downs
3 sets - as heavy as I can handle that day for 10-12 reps
As a finishing exercise, I like to use a single-arm movement such as a one-arm cable row or a Hammer machine.
Hamstrings
Stiff-Legged Dead Lifts
I will warm-up with 135 lbs and progress up to 315 for 10 reps. I prefer to work only 3 sets of this exercise, as I don't want to over train my hamstrings.
Lying Ham Curls
Keep in mind that when you work quads, you also fire the muscles of the hamstrings. It is virtually impossible to isolate your quads (other than leg extensions) when you are working out. I like to keep this movement at a high rep range, such as 10-12 reps, for a maximum of 4 sets.
Abductor Machine
I like to use this machine to strengthen my squat and leg press. The abductors act as stabilizers and by strengthening these muscles, I find my squat and leg press improves. I can lift more weight. Keep this exercise at 3 to 4 sets for 10 - 15 reps. Don't believe the hype! This isn't the toning machine that you once thought it was!
Wednesday - Day Off and a Day of Rest!
Thursday - Shoulders and Calves - "My Favorite Day"
Seated Dumbbell Presses
100 lbs 10 reps
120 lbs 10 reps
120 lbs 10 reps
100 lbs 10 reps
Side Laterals
25 lbs 10 reps
35 lbs 10 reps
50 lbs 8-10 reps
40 lbs 15-20 reps
will either do Upright Rows or Front Dumbbell Raises for 3 sets to hit the front deltoid muscle.
For the rear delt, I will perform Bent-Over Lateral Raises
Shrugs
I will start this exercise using two 45 lb plates on each side of the bar. I will add 45 lb plate to each side for each set. I will work up to 4plates on each side. I think this is one of the exercises that has contributed a great deal to my thick traps.
Calves
I prefer to do two different exercises for these muscles so I can activate the muscles in different ways. I like to use a Seated Calf Machine to perform 4 sets. I will add on as many 45 lb plates as possible and still be able to complete 10 reps. I will then move onto Standing Calve Raises or Straight-Legged Toe Extensions on the leg press and complete four sets going as heavy as I can.
Friday - Triceps and Biceps
I like to train these muscles together as I find that I have a better workout on the rest of my body parts throughout the week because your bi's and tri's get hit when training your larger muscle groups.
Push Downs I will usually perform 4 or 5 sets to really get my elbows warmed-up. My first two sets are usually light so that I can perform 15-20 reps.
Skull Crushers I will perform four sets of this exercise, increasing the weight with each set. Rep range should stay around 10-12 reps.
Behind the Neck One Arm Dumbbell Extensions This is one of my favorite exercises for triceps. I feel as though I can isolate the triceps and since each arm gets its own workout, develop strength evenly in my arms. I will use 40-50 lbs for 3 sets, 10-12 reps.
Cable Kickbacks I love these because they burn! I like to perform 3 or 4 sets using light weight for 10-12 reps.
Standing Barbell Curls I hate these, but my partners seem to love them. I will start light and work up to about 155 lbs on my 4th set.
Standing Dumbbell Curls I don't use a lot of weight on this exercise because I really want to isolate the bicep muscles. I don't believe in having to use your back to lift the weight. I will perform 3 sets of 10 reps.
Dumbbell Preacher Curl or Biceps Preacher Machine I consider this exercise to be my "finishing" movement. 3-4 sets, 10-12 reps.
Saturday - Quads
This is the day that my training partners and I go into the gym and take over the leg area; very few people dare to enter this area when we're there. The most important aspect to remember when training legs is to WARM UP! I have seen many guys go in and start squatting right off the bat; using a weight they have no right using and tear a muscle. Leg injuries take a while to recover from. Proper warm-up and stretching is essential to preventing injuries.
Leg Press This exercise is my meat and potatoes. Squatting is difficult for me as I have limited flexibility in my shoulders and have a hard time holding the bar on my back to squat. My gym has a Nebula leg press and I have found it to be one of the best pieces of equipment I have used. Not many leg presses allow you to load 1000 lbs and have a person stand on top! I prefer to keep my feet high on this exercise and close together. I'm never sure how many sets we perform. We normally start with 400 lbs on the machine and then add 100's to each side on each exercise until we reach 1000 lbs. We then lighten the load and change feet position to the lower part of the platform for a full leg press. Keeping your feet low incorporates your glute muscles and helps to build a power base. We perform 3-4 sets.
I will then move over to the Smith Machine for squats. I can squat easier using the Smith Machine because I don't have to hold the bar on my back. One of my partners just ensures that the bar is turned so it does not hook on the base. I'll start at 135 lbs and go up to 405 lbs for 10 reps unless one of my partners starts talking trash.
By this point, my legs are pretty exhausted and I will finish with leg extensions using either a drop set or single leg method, all for 10-12 reps. My partners will keep going doing hack squats, vertical leg presses or plie' squats. I find that by keeping my leg workout short and simple, my legs grow much more. Doing a lot of exercises and reps just burns my legs out and they tend to shrink.
There it is - my secret to building thick muscles. Don't get me wrong - none of this it set in stone. My training partners and I change our routine constantly. We will even change the days that we train. Lifting should be about challenging yourself and having fun. If you are in the gym and not having fun and constantly worn out, try changing things. Do nothing but a workout of squats or challenge your partner to a dead lifting contest - heck, hit an aerobics class - just do something to have fun! Remember, the key to building muscle is not about how long you are in the gym daily, but the quality of your workouts !
Good Luck and Happy Lifting!

(combined training methods of "BIG AL FORTNEY and MIKE ARVILLA")
reprinted with al's permission.............. ..................

HICKSON

• Getbig IV
  • Bunch of slack-jaw fagg0ts round here.
« Reply #1452 on: January 12, 2006, 10:40:08 AM »
I think your doing too many sets on the flat as you are already wide through the middle and you have a good drop on the pecs!

I would make the incline DB/BB press my sole chest workout but dont defrain from the flat/decline just do about 2-3 sets moderate weight

example:
Incline BB
set-1  12-15 (warm)
set-2  10-12 (increase 50%)
set-3  8-10  ( increase 60%)
set-4  6-8  (increase 75%)
set-5  1-3  (90% of 1RM)

Incline DB
set-1  12-15 (warm)
set-4  6-8  (increase 75%
set-5  1-3  (90% of 1RM)

Finish W/ pec deck or bent over cables
then the next chest day hit the hammer strength incline and do 5 sets W/ crazy weight.
then do decline push-ups w/ your lady sitting on your back ( if not enough weight she can hold onto some DB)
Then kill that W/ some cables or peck deck.

Just my opinion though  :-\

Giving 110%

Havenbull

• Getbig IV
  • Damn it
« Reply #1453 on: January 12, 2006, 11:30:53 AM »
I'm rootin' for ya Mike

michael arvilla

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
« Reply #1454 on: January 12, 2006, 11:37:27 AM »
I think your doing too many sets on the flat as you are already wide through the middle and you have a good drop on the pecs!

I would make the incline DB/BB press my sole chest workout but dont defrain from the flat/decline just do about 2-3 sets moderate weight

example:
Incline BB
set-1  12-15 (warm)
set-4  6-8  (increase 75%)
set-5  1-3  (90% of 1RM)

Incline DB
set-1  12-15 (warm)
set-4  6-8  (increase 75%
set-5  1-3  (90% of 1RM)

Finish W/ pec deck or bent over cables
then the next chest day hit the hammer strength incline and do 5 sets W/ crazy weight.
then do decline push-ups w/ your lady sitting on your back ( if not enough weight she can hold onto some DB)
Then kill that W/ some cables or peck deck.

Just my opinion though  :-\

...........ill give that a shot, thanx!

michael arvilla

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
« Reply #1455 on: January 12, 2006, 11:38:15 AM »
I'm rootin' for ya Mike

thanks Havenbull!!........................ .....

Bluto

• Getbig V
  • Well?
« Reply #1456 on: January 12, 2006, 11:56:31 AM »
Try posing to 50 cent's In da club  :P
Z

Bluto

• Getbig V
  • Well?
« Reply #1457 on: January 12, 2006, 12:12:13 PM »
I'm no expert at these kinda things but I think you need to make up your mind about the exact date and what show you wanna participate in (maybe there's video material available from previous shows so you know what to expect). Obviously you will have weak muscle groups, like everyone else, but let's say you're 6 months out from competing I don't think that's enough time to really make a significant difference for let's say a stubborn muscle group like calves, so for the most part you will probably have to do with what you got and the dieting will be the key in order to dial in and keep as much muscle mass as possible.

But you say you're allready 3 weeks into your diet? Sounds a little early, at what pace do you expect to lose weight? What amount weekly? You need to keep that in check so it doesn't go too quickly, or too slow. Try to hook up with some people "in the know".

I don't know about your previous experiences when it comes to dieting, competiting etc but maybe we can have a discussion going where people talk about the most common mistakes (by themselves, and others) so that you can try to avoid that yourself.

What else - you probably need to adjust your training as you're getting closer to the show since you won't be as strong or have as much energy, stay out of injuries, and if you're used to eat a lot it's probably gonna be a bitch mentally when you've been dieting for months.
Z

Laura Lee

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
« Reply #1458 on: January 12, 2006, 01:06:47 PM »

Weeeeeeeeeeeeeeee   ;D  Sounds like fun
:D Weee

HICKSON

• Getbig IV
« Reply #1459 on: January 12, 2006, 01:28:49 PM »
Make sure you wear your cowgirl hat and get us a vid!!!!

I wanna hear you say "giddy up bitch!!!! yeeeeehawwwww!!!!"  ;D
Giving 110%

bald

• Getbig IV
  • Squat Till You Puke!
« Reply #1460 on: January 12, 2006, 02:18:05 PM »
Aren't we all getting a bit ahead of ourselves...  Let's get the guy to a respectable bodyfat so he'll have something to flex...

Wrong, sorry, but he needs to learn how to pose and practice.  Espcially never doing it before.
W

bald

• Getbig IV
  • Squat Till You Puke!
« Reply #1461 on: January 12, 2006, 02:27:58 PM »
Finally got a chance to see the posing video.

Very interesting, best advise, get some help from an experienced bodybuilder.  Being you have never done a show before, it wasn't terrible, but close. ;D

I understand that its just a video, and 8 months out, but everything freakzilla said is good advise.  You need to hit the pose and hold that fucker, sometimes very long.  Keep practicing, and you'll be fine.

By the way, once you get ripped your back will look great.
W

michael arvilla

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
« Reply #1462 on: January 12, 2006, 05:43:45 PM »
I'm no expert at these kinda things but I think you need to make up your mind about the exact date and what show you wanna participate in (maybe there's video material available from previous shows so you know what to expect). Obviously you will have weak muscle groups, like everyone else, but let's say you're 6 months out from competing I don't think that's enough time to really make a significant difference for let's say a stubborn muscle group like calves, so for the most part you will probably have to do with what you got and the dieting will be the key in order to dial in and keep as much muscle mass as possible.

But you say you're allready 3 weeks into your diet? Sounds a little early, at what pace do you expect to lose weight? What amount weekly? You need to keep that in check so it doesn't go too quickly, or too slow. Try to hook up with some people "in the know".

I don't know about your previous experiences when it comes to dieting, competiting etc but maybe we can have a discussion going where people talk about the most common mistakes (by themselves, and others) so that you can try to avoid that yourself.

What else - you probably need to adjust your training as you're getting closer to the show since you won't be as strong or have as much energy, stay out of injuries, and if you're used to eat a lot it's probably gonna be a bitch mentally when you've been dieting for months.
my plan is to get in shape now
(reasonable shape not ripped)
hold onto that condition (blast lagging body parts)
then get ripped as the show date closes in
i want to be full and hard.............not looking like a ripped skeleton
advice is very welcome!........................ .

Freakzilla_2

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
« Reply #1463 on: January 12, 2006, 05:53:49 PM »
Who are you working with on your nutrition.

Freak ???

knny187

• Getbig V
« Reply #1464 on: January 12, 2006, 06:58:59 PM »
Who are you working with on your nutrition.

Freak ???

Richard Simmons

Freakzilla_2

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
« Reply #1465 on: January 12, 2006, 08:04:24 PM »
Richard Simmons
AHAHHAHAHHAHAHHAHAHAH!!!

Freak ;D

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
« Reply #1466 on: January 12, 2006, 09:28:05 PM »
Mike, you possess a frame that will look very massive when ripped. You are lucky.
My thoughts...

Train legs first.  Monday. After you've watched tv and relaxed all day sunday.  Make it your priority. I'd guess from looking at you that you have done upper body work about 3 times more than lower body in your life.   Your legs are years behind.  But your arms will keep their size when you diet, so you're in a good place.

I'd take a month off upper body and hit legs twice a week and that's it.  Your upper body joints will heal (and cutting back the ibuprofin will make your body more responsive to your AAS as a bonus!), Your CNS will recover (you've been training 10+ hours a week with no cardio? ouch! rest up for your contest run!), You'll get the upper body back in 3 weeks with muscle memory. Make Jan 15-Feb 15 LEG MONTH, and you'll be re-energized come february for your precontest run.

As far as diet/cardio- if you don't do something big and drastic in the next 3 months, you're just going to look like a leaner yet smaller version of you at the show.  SHOCK your body.  Start eating a ton of fish.  Get hooked on a new veggie.  for cardio, do something like fast bleacher climbing or fast sprints.  At your age and bodyfat, hours on the treadmill are NOT the answer.  I would advise high intensity.  If you've been training 2 hours a day, your body is already USED to low impact aerobic activity from the long weight sessions. SHOCK IT with some intense cardio. Intervals are good too.

What you're doing takes guts. If you fail, the whole internet community will never let you hear the end of it. but if you succeed, you'll gain clients for your business and be known as a guru here.

Sorry if I have been rude or too abrasive, just sharing what is in my head.  I will be following your journey.  Should be interesting!

Rob

weedoutheweak

• Time Out
  • Getbig IV
  • Kickin' it
« Reply #1467 on: January 12, 2006, 10:20:24 PM »
Mike, you possess a frame that will look very massive when ripped. You are lucky.
My thoughts...

Train legs first.  Monday. After you've watched tv and relaxed all day sunday.  Make it your priority. I'd guess from looking at you that you have done upper body work about 3 times more than lower body in your life.   Your legs are years behind.  But your arms will keep their size when you diet, so you're in a good place.

I'd take a month off upper body and hit legs twice a week and that's it.  Your upper body joints will heal (and cutting back the ibuprofin will make your body more responsive to your AAS as a bonus!), Your CNS will recover (you've been training 10+ hours a week with no cardio? ouch! rest up for your contest run!), You'll get the upper body back in 3 weeks with muscle memory. Make Jan 15-Feb 15 LEG MONTH, and you'll be re-energized come february for your precontest run.

As far as diet/cardio- if you don't do something big and drastic in the next 3 months, you're just going to look like a leaner yet smaller version of you at the show.  SHOCK your body.  Start eating a ton of fish.  Get hooked on a new veggie.  for cardio, do something like fast bleacher climbing or fast sprints.  At your age and bodyfat, hours on the treadmill are NOT the answer.  I would advise high intensity.  If you've been training 2 hours a day, your body is already USED to low impact aerobic activity from the long weight sessions. SHOCK IT with some intense cardio. Intervals are good too.

What you're doing takes guts. If you fail, the whole internet community will never let you hear the end of it. but if you succeed, you'll gain clients for your business and be known as a guru here.

Sorry if I have been rude or too abrasive, just sharing what is in my head.  I will be following your journey.  Should be interesting!

Rob

Why are you giving advice?  Seriously? 

jeffrey.

• Getbig III
  • i love the pdi
« Reply #1468 on: January 13, 2006, 03:08:00 AM »
good luck mike,hope you stick with it. :)

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #1469 on: January 13, 2006, 05:07:06 AM »

Why are you giving advice?  Seriously? 

hey, in addition to being a clown here, I do read a lot.

Attack the logic of my post, not my screen name.

HICKSON

• Getbig IV
« Reply #1470 on: January 13, 2006, 06:04:44 AM »
My thoughts...

What you're doing takes guts.  If you fail,the whole internet community will never let you hear the end of it. but if you succeed, you'll gain clients for your business and be known as a guru here.

Rob

This statement I will attack. No one w/ any sense or has had the balls to get on stage in a speedo will ever step on that persons nuts!

And I dont agree w/ a whole month off upper, but do just go through the motions... but hit your upper pecs hard like you want!!
Giving 110%

bald

• Getbig IV
  • Squat Till You Puke!
« Reply #1471 on: January 13, 2006, 07:33:08 AM »
My thoughts...

Rob

Just stop, will you.

Mike, don't take a month off your upper body.  And don't train legs twice a week.

You advise him to train legs twice a week and do high intensity cardio.  If he does this his legs will shrink dramatically.
Keep in mind he is 8 MONTHS out.  Trim it off slow, so you can maintain most of your muscle.
W

Bluto

• Getbig V
  • Well?
« Reply #1472 on: January 13, 2006, 07:43:03 AM »
Like I said before at this stage it's about keep musclemass, not increasing it.
And him dieting and giving competiting a shot doesnt make him either a laughing stock or a guru. It's just a good thing to try, I'm sure there's a lot of people out there that carries a lot of mass that are curious how they would look with a much lower bodyfat.
Z

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #1473 on: January 13, 2006, 08:13:26 AM »
Mike, don't take a month off your upper body.  And don't train legs twice a week.

You advise him to train legs twice a week and do high intensity cardio.  If he does this his legs will shrink dramatically.
Keep in mind he is 8 MONTHS out.  Trim it off slow, so you can maintain most of your muscle.

shooting for the dirt, aren't you? 8 months is a hell of a long time. Spending four weeks focusing on weak area still gives you 26 weeks to focus on getting lean.  His legs are grossly overpowered by his upper body, and that can be corrected. The high intensity cardio wouldn't start yet.  However, front squats with the padded bent bar would.  He's lifting TEN TO TWELVE hours a week right now.   Keep that up and legs will just look more depleted than they already do come contest time.

WiseGuy

• Getbig IV
« Reply #1474 on: January 13, 2006, 12:25:00 PM »
MEAL 1: 12 egg whites 1 yolk ,1 cup of oatmeal

MEAL 2: 12 oz tuna (from the can) 1 cup of cooked rice

MEAL 3: 12 oz very lean ground beef 12 oz baked or sweet potato

MEAL 4: 12 oz of chicken breast 1 cup of cooked rice

MEAL 5 : after workout protein shake, 1 cup oatmeal

MEAL 6: same as meal 1

MEAL 7: protein shake

MEAL 8: wake up for this one 50 g whey protein

that's pretty much it...................... .............(sometimes i substitute chicken for the beef)

your diet is spot on.....

great job

>:(