Author Topic: 90's competitors were light years ahead of todays pros!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  (Read 12565 times)

bailey

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
Re: 90's competitors were light years ahead of todays pros!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #50 on: February 14, 2007, 07:48:47 AM »
Think about it. The guys in the 90's actually trained !!!! much harder than today. Sure they did there ( " Supps ") But they were not built on them ! they just inhanced them. Today you got kids in the gym who have never trained without them. Funny., You will only see them in the gym if they are on a cycle. Otherwise you don't see them for months.

SS

• Getbig V
  • The new and improved SS.
« Reply #51 on: February 14, 2007, 07:50:03 AM »
You will only see them in the gym if they are on a cycle. Otherwise you don't see them for months.
isn't that the truth. they'll even admit that.

Royalty

• Getbig V
  • Mentzer is Alive
« Reply #52 on: February 14, 2007, 07:51:02 AM »
You will only see them in the gym if they are on a cycle. Otherwise you don't see them for months.

the pros in the 90's were the same way..

Yates and Haney did train when they were off so the rose to the top..

HUGEPECS

• Getbig V
  • School of Hard knocks Gym
« Reply #53 on: February 14, 2007, 07:57:29 AM »
this new generation of bodybuilders will have to do better than the 90's BBs. so far, it's not happening
Get Big, or Die Trying

BUCK 65

• Getbig II
« Reply #54 on: February 14, 2007, 08:00:16 AM »
What about Mr.Priest who has managed to transcend the millenium ?
He is one of the only ones I can think of who is still actively competing from the above mentioned guys -Is there anyone else form the 90 's ??

Mr. Intenseone

« Reply #55 on: February 14, 2007, 09:04:07 AM »
I agree with the title of this thread 100%............the same arguement could be made for the 80's as well!

The Squadfather

• Getbig V
« Reply #56 on: February 14, 2007, 09:05:15 AM »
What about Mr.Priest who has managed to transcend the millenium ?
He is one of the only ones I can think of who is still actively competing from the above mentioned guys -Is there anyone else form the 90 's ??
yeah i forgot about Lee, throw him in there as well as one of the best ever.

benjamin pearson

• Getbig IV
  • Dan18 has a huge forehead
« Reply #57 on: February 14, 2007, 10:00:52 AM »
Lee is a great competitor..... but do you think with his lack of chest and back development (though still outstanding) allows him to be one of the best alltime??

ChristopherA

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #58 on: February 14, 2007, 10:29:46 AM »
Lee is a great competitor..... but do you think with his lack of chest and back development (though still outstanding) allows him to be one of the best alltime??
Longevity has to count for something. Still has his hair and his face hasnt morphed into somethin else.I was flippin through MD the other day and Branch Warren looks like hes gonna die.Whats up with wearin winter beanies to the gym too.Doesnt he live in Texas?I live in New England and the last thing I wanna do is wear a wool hat to the gym.

BUCK 65

• Getbig II
« Reply #59 on: February 14, 2007, 02:36:00 PM »
We are talking about greats of the 90's generally-Lee certainly is all of that.Lee is to arms , is what Platz was to quads.Also Aaron Baker another underated bb

Hulkster

• Getbig V
  • ND ran away from me
« Reply #60 on: February 14, 2007, 02:47:50 PM »
He beat Ronnie and Victor on the pose at the Olympia....that says a lot!

why?

Ronnie was in his worst ever shape.

it says nothing about having a truly great back
Flower Boy Ran Away

natural al

• Getbig V
  • like it or don't, learn to live with it..whooooooo
« Reply #61 on: February 14, 2007, 03:22:25 PM »
why?

Ronnie was in his worst ever shape.

it says nothing about having a truly great back

problem was ronnie didn't look like the pic you posted, he's done.  Sorry, he was great for a little while but he ain't what he used to be
nasser=piece of shit

slaveboy1980

• Getbig V
  • Thought is the arrow of time; memory never fades.
« Reply #62 on: February 14, 2007, 03:25:28 PM »
charles clairmonte was better than any bodybuilder competing today.

Hulkster

• Getbig V
  • ND ran away from me
« Reply #63 on: February 14, 2007, 03:31:08 PM »
problem was ronnie didn't look like the pic you posted, he's done.  Sorry, he was great for a little while but he ain't what he used to be

and that is exactly my point.

in order to say Jay has a great back you have to compare him to other great backs.

Ronnie in 2006 did not have a great back anymore (relative to his prior showings)

so saying he has a better back than 2006 Ronnie isn't proving anything.
Flower Boy Ran Away

slaveboy1980

• Getbig V
  • Thought is the arrow of time; memory never fades.
« Reply #64 on: February 14, 2007, 03:33:26 PM »
and that is exactly my point.

in order to say Jay has a great back you have to compare him to other great backs.

Ronnie in 2006 did not have a great back anymore (relative to his prior showings)

so saying he has a better back than 2006 Ronnie isn't proving anything.

can you shut the fuck up about ronnie       (and jay)...both of those suck these days.  ;D

NarcissisticDeity

• Getbig V
  • Go back to making jewelry and cakes with your girl
« Reply #65 on: February 14, 2007, 03:40:19 PM »
The thing with the 90s was most of the guys came into shows in shape , you're lucky now if 4 guys are in shape on contest day , the 1990s were much more competitive even on the national level , hell guys like Edgar Fletcher couldn't turn Pro back then in this day and age he'd be a lock .

Dballn247

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • That's how I roll.
« Reply #66 on: February 14, 2007, 04:19:58 PM »
I still thin if you had a time machine and stuck Jay Cutler in it the day of the last olympia and put him onstage at an early 90's olympia he wouldn't win.  I honestly dont' see him beating Yates, Ray, Levrone, Labrada, Flex or Dillet using the standards they used back then.  You're supposed to be seperated and musclular, you're supposed to have a defined midsection.  Jay just looks liek a fidge with limbs, so does ronnie.  If you look at everything that BB is supposed to be there arent' that many guys in the top 10 right now who would exemplify the standards that BB is supposed to be about.  Look at the shot of Padilla, he has everything a BB should have and if judged properly would destroy most of the top 10 today.  Maybe Dexter and heath meet the requirements, maybe toney Freeman but out of the top 10 guys at the last olympia only Dex, Toney and maybe Victor demosntrate what BB is supposed to be.

I'm not sure about that one.  Granted no one was harder than Dorian, but the criteria back then was size and condition, with asthetics coming in a distant third.  In the early 90's diuretics were rampant and that led to the dryest physiques on the planet.  But if you think Dillet in his day has the same condition that Cutler has you need to have your eyes checked out.  Symetry was only the deciding factor if it was close between the two in size and conditioning.  Now it is size and symetry, with conditioning being the deciding factor.  Bottom line, Jay is bigger and more symetrical than dorian although without the granite conditioning.  Jay blows leverone away on size and shape alone, conditioning is about the same.  Ray, Lebrada and Flex don't have the size to compare.  Plus Flex could never return to his 93 shape.  2006 Jay cutler is Mr. Olympia, Accept it.  There are no fantasy matches so just accept it.

The new direction of BB is size and shape.  Conditioning has taken a bit of a back seat.  The only threat to Cutler would be an in shape Victor M.  Dennis James has great size (freakish density) and shape, but needs to tighten up to get that dry granite look that Dorian had.  If someone could bring that look back without failing the Diuretics test, that would change the direction that bodybuilding is heading.  It would make it more competitive for the smaller guys.  But untill then the ultra ripped small guy isn't going to beat the likes of an In shape Cutler.  Coleman's done.  His body is failing him and the injuries are starting mount up.  He'll most likely compete again, but unlike the Injured Dorian who was the defending champ, there is no incentive to perpetuate the career of the 1st loser of the last olympia.  Cutler and Victor M would have to blow it on their diets and contest prep for Coleman to win again. 

I can certainly appreciate the gains made by coleman as he was a walking defintion of BB.  He has brought his physique to freaky proportions, however he is plagued with injuries,  Maybe he'll begin to train smarter not harder to prevent injuries, but BB is an EGO sport and I just don't see that happening.  I see more injuries in his future.

I think Cutler today back in the 90's (post Munzers death) could have won the O.  He was bigger than Dorian and Nasser, and had a more asthetic physique.   Prior to that, judges were blinded by the Granite package that dorian presented.

\

The_Hammer

• Getbig V
  • President Barack Obama -- 2 Term U.S. President
« Reply #67 on: February 14, 2007, 05:05:16 PM »
Cutler's midsection is such a horror show compared to Dorian's and everyone else's from the 90's.  Compare his ab and thigh pose to Dorian at his worst and Dorian still embarrasses Cutler.

The best he could do would be 2nd or 3rd.  Jay has better arms and legs than Dorian, but so did a lot of Dorian's competition from the 90's and he still beat them soundly.

Jay's back is as watery as the Atlantic Ocean.  It's quite embarrassing when you do a side-by-side of his back to Dorian's and Ronnie's.  Don't let Cutler's watery size fool you, the guy has no more mass than Ronnie or Dorian back there.

dzulboy

• Competitors II
  • Getbig IV
  • Big hard and turbo charged
« Reply #68 on: February 14, 2007, 09:57:43 PM »
look at the guys on top during the 90's, Shawn Ray, Kevin Levrone, Flex Wheeler, Mike Francois,Yates, Nasser and they are in a completely different class than the guys today.

couldn't agree more.....

pobrecito

• Getbig V
« Reply #69 on: February 14, 2007, 09:59:57 PM »
The best

dzulboy

• Competitors II
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #70 on: February 14, 2007, 10:01:30 PM »
The best

sorry rich gaspari circa 87-88 crushes that

pobrecito

• Getbig V
« Reply #71 on: February 14, 2007, 10:03:48 PM »
sorry rich gaspari circa 87-88 crushes that

Nope.

Gaspari was a little twat

dzulboy

• Competitors II
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #72 on: February 14, 2007, 10:08:24 PM »
dorain was 5'10 at 253  gaspari was 5'7 at 230  yea real little

b.c.

• Getbig II
« Reply #73 on: February 14, 2007, 10:13:41 PM »
Gaspari was never 230 lb contest shape, maybe 210-215 max.  He doesnt come close to yates or any of the others of the 90's.

dzulboy

• Competitors II
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #74 on: February 14, 2007, 10:16:37 PM »
Gaspari was never 230 lb contest shape, maybe 210-215 max.  He doesnt come close to yates or any of the others of the 90's.
he was weighed at one of the olympia's at 228 or 229   sorry 1to 2 lbs off