Author Topic: Machines vs. Free Weights  (Read 5029 times)

IroNat

• Getbig V
  • Time you enjoy wasting, was not wasted.
Machines vs. Free Weights
« on: November 29, 2020, 08:46:18 AM »
https://www.ironcompany.com/blog/overhead-barbell-press-bodyweight/

"Exercise machines are akin to lite beer; free weights akin to 12-year old scotch whiskey. Exercise machines eliminate the need to control side-to-side movement, the 3rd dimension of tension. Machines have a frozen motor-pathway that cannot dig near as deep a muscular inroad as free weight equipment. Resistance training machines are decidedly and undeniably less effective than the free weight exercises they mimic."

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
Re: Machines vs. Free Weights
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2020, 02:32:59 PM »
Machines have a use.  If you sit down in machines for all of your workouts isolating body parts there is no way that is optimal for adding athletic function like explosive power or coordinated strength transfer.

IroNat

• Getbig V
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2020, 03:57:10 PM »

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2020, 04:30:38 PM »
Machines have a use.  If you sit down in machines for all of your workouts isolating body parts there is no way that is optimal for adding athletic function like explosive power or coordinated strength transfer.

Hopefully exercise bands will be useful. I finally ordered the Jaquish Biomedical X3™ Elite Complete Home Gym System yesterday. The system was on Black Friday sale for $100 less than they usually cost and no shipping charges either. So for $450 I will have a new "toy" in a week or so. I expect to look as buff as Dr. Jaquish in 12 weeks....that's what they promised me. LOL!

IroNat

• Getbig V

ThisisOverload

• Getbig V
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2020, 03:44:50 PM »
I think machines are almost equally as important to advanced lifters. You can really isolate certain areas using machines since they are fixed. There are several machines i use that i get a much better workout from than free weights, but nothing beats DB's. I hardly use BB anymore except for squats and power cleans.

The machine pullover and iso chest press machines are incredible. I can destroy my lats with the former and get amazing chest workouts with the latter.

Then you have calves, the best calf workouts i've ever had were using machines, by a long shot.

Humble Narcissist

• Getbig V
« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2020, 11:55:05 AM »
Dr.Jaquish is a research professor at Rushmore University.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rushmore_University

https://m.facebook.com/dbhit/posts/the-x3-is-an-even-bigger-scam-than-i-previously-thoughtthe-guy-selling-it-john-j/2084798074917734/
Why do people list diploma mill degrees in their bios?  I can see someone using the title "Dr." to give them more legitimacy but why list the unaccredited university that anyone can look up in 5 seconds and realize you are a bullshitter?

IroNat

• Getbig V
« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2020, 02:22:13 PM »
Why do people list diploma mill degrees in their bios?  I can see someone using the title "Dr." to give them more legitimacy but why list the unaccredited university that anyone can look up in 5 seconds and realize you are a bullshitter?

People are lazy and won't look it up.

Humble Narcissist

• Getbig V
« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2020, 02:45:12 PM »
People are lazy and won't look it up.
But they do look it up.  I was on the Coffee Correctional (Georgia) website to look up an inmate they have there and the warden had a master's degree from a college I had never heard of.  I looked it up and it was a diploma mill some guy runs out of his house!  Evidently the state of Georgia doesn't bother checking the credentials of state employees.  During the Clinton administration they caught several people in the federal government with fake master's degrees and Ph.D's.  These people were employed for years before getting caught and they were caught by their own negligence.

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2020, 02:49:35 PM »
Dr.Jaquish is a research professor at Rushmore University.

https://m.facebook.com/dbhit/posts/the-x3-is-an-even-bigger-scam-than-i-previously-thoughtthe-guy-selling-it-john-j/2084798074917734/

What is important is if the X-3 elite system works or not. And it is important that it be easy to use and I do so consistently. Whether he got his degree from a college which is accredited or not has no bearing on why I bought the exercise bands from his company.

I ordered them on November 27th. I received an email last week explaining they were swamped with orders and my order would ship approximately two weeks from the date of purchase. At least their communication is good. They deducted the purchase price from my Visa immediately. Should have used Pay Pal. They don't debit your account until an item ships.

Humble Narcissist

• Getbig V
« Reply #10 on: December 09, 2020, 02:52:52 PM »
What is important is if the X-3 elite system works or not. And it is important that it be easy to use and I do so consistently. Whether he got his degree from a college which is accredited or not has no bearing on why I bought the exercise bands from his company.

I ordered them on November 27th. I received an email last week explaining they were swamped with orders and my order would ship approximately two weeks from the date of purchase. At least their communication is good. They deducted the purchase price from my Visa immediately. Should have used Pay Pal. They don't debit your account until an item ships.
Of course whether it works or not is the most important thing but why lie if you aren't covering something up?  He uses his title to make people think his contraption is "scientific" when it's just another contraption.

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #11 on: December 09, 2020, 03:09:38 PM »
Of course whether it works or not is the most important thing but why lie if you aren't covering something up?  He uses his title to make people think his contraption is "scientific" when it's just another contraption.

If he earned a doctorate, he can call himself doctor. There are all kinds of doctorate degrees. He's only lying if he doesn't have a doctorate. He isn't claiming to be a brain surgeon.

Rushmore University is accredited by Chartered Management Institute (CMI) in the UK and is an institution of higher learning offering master's and doctoral degrees in a variety of business-related fields, exclusively via distance learning.

Biomedical engineering (BME) or medical engineering is the application of engineering principles and design concepts to medicine and biology for healthcare ...

In order to become a Biomedical Engineer, you will need to study an undergraduate degree in a relevant field, such as:

Biomedical Science or Engineering

Electrical or Electronic Engineering

Mechanical Engineering

Physics

Humble Narcissist

• Getbig V
« Reply #12 on: December 09, 2020, 03:18:34 PM »
If he earned a doctorate, he can call himself doctor. There are all kinds of doctorate degrees. He's only lying if he doesn't have a doctorate. He isn't claiming to be a brain surgeon.

Rushmore University is accredited by Chartered Management Institute (CMI) in the UK and is an institution of higher learning offering master's and doctoral degrees in a variety of business-related fields, exclusively via distance learning.

Biomedical engineering (BME) or medical engineering is the application of engineering principles and design concepts to medicine and biology for healthcare ...

In order to become a Biomedical Engineer, you will need to study an undergraduate degree in a relevant field, such as:

Biomedical Science or Engineering

Electrical or Electronic Engineering

Mechanical Engineering

Physics
I would do a little more research.  Here is a forum where they discuss Rushmore, how they keep changing their address and have a New York mobile phone as their contact number.

https://www.degreeinfo.com/index.php?threads/rushmore-university.14449/

ThisisOverload

• Getbig V
« Reply #13 on: December 09, 2020, 04:20:54 PM »

He also claims to not use steroids.

Dudes juiced to the gills.

Resistance bands do work, but Dr Squach is a faker.

Not a bad purchase to just change things up a bit.

Humble Narcissist

• Getbig V
« Reply #14 on: December 10, 2020, 03:51:40 AM »
He also claims to not use steroids.

Dudes juiced to the gills.

Resistance bands do work, but Dr Squach is a faker.

Not a bad purchase to just change things up a bit.
Nothing wrong with that just don't expect 3X the gains.

IroNat

• Getbig V
« Reply #15 on: December 10, 2020, 04:51:47 AM »

Accreditation

Formerly Rushmore's promotional material claimed that the conventionally recognized system of educational accreditation in the United States is irrelevant and that Rushmore had instead attained "independent accreditation," as measured solely by the success of its graduates.[7][8] In the past, Rushmore claimed approval from a variety of agencies, none of them recognized[9] by the United States Department of Education (USDE) or the Council for Higher Education Accreditation(CHEA).[10] The Oregon State Office of Degree Authorization has no evidence that this is an accredited or otherwise acceptable provider of postsecondary education meeting Oregon standards. Oregon employers should consider degrees from this supplier to be substandard unless each degree program is evaluated in detail by an external evaluator acceptable to ODA.[11] The Maine Department of Education and State of Michigan also list Rushmore as non-accredited.[12]

In August 2009, Rushmore announced that it was seeking accreditation from the Chartered Management Institute (CMI). This was announced in the August 2009 Rushmore newsletter.[13] The Rushmore June 2012 newsletter reported that in April 2012 Rushmore had obtained CMI Recognised Center status, including approval for several Rushmore programs.[14]