Author Topic: Favorite chest workouts  (Read 8332 times)

mademan80

• Getbig II
Favorite chest workouts
« on: March 03, 2009, 09:40:27 PM »
just wanted to get some feedback and yalls chest workouts...diff.exercise s,number of sets etc.? just looking for some new things to add to my routine for some variety

jon cole

• Getbig IV
Re: Favorite chest workouts
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2009, 11:41:59 PM »
just wanted to get some feedback and yalls chest workouts...diff.exercise s,number of sets etc.? just looking for some new things to add to my routine for some variety

bench/incline barbell/decline dumbell/pullover.
asstropin

wild willie

• Getbig V
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2009, 08:47:55 AM »
incline dumbbell press..... then bench press..... then crossovers. 3 sets each 10 reps.

tonymctones

• Getbig V
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2009, 08:53:50 AM »
Incline presses bb or db, flys i prefer db, Dips(imo much better then declines), and maybe flat bench.

local hero

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • mma finance warrior of peace
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2009, 10:53:38 AM »
pec deck warm up

inc bb 3 warm ups 2 heavy
flat db 2 warm ups 2 heavy
low incline fly 1 warm up 1 heavy

d0nny2600

• Getbig V
  • http://i.imgur.com/mCzI3N5.jpg
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2009, 11:20:39 AM »
4 sets heavy flyes
4 sets of weighted dips with little rest between sets
3 Sets Flat dumbbell press
3 Sets incline dumbell press

big L dawg

• Getbig V
  • i always tell the truth even when i lie...
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2009, 12:01:53 PM »
incline dumbbell press..... then bench press..... then crossovers. 3 sets each 10 reps.

9 sets.I'm barely warmed up
DAWG

wild willie

• Getbig V
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2009, 12:15:19 PM »
then you ain't pushing bro

big L dawg

• Getbig V
« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2009, 12:20:04 PM »
then you ain't pushing bro

shiiiiiiiiiiit....your crazy.I could do any 9 sets for chest you want and wouldn't even be sore the next day...unless your 9 sets are supersets or monster sets of like 4-5 different exercises that equal one set.otherwise if I did 9 regular sets... hell I'd be out of the gym in 15 minutes.
DAWG

wild willie

• Getbig V
« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2009, 12:26:49 PM »
My nine sets take me 45 minutes to complete..... I rest 2 minutes in between each set. I will perform either rest pause or drop sets. Rest pause is killer because you really are pushing until not another rep is possible. I feel like fewer sets has also allowed me to grow quite a bit more than volume. Just my 2 cents though..... different strokes for different folks.

big L dawg

• Getbig V
« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2009, 12:32:55 PM »
My nine sets take me 45 minutes to complete..... I rest 2 minutes in between each set. I will perform either rest pause or drop sets. Rest pause is killer because you really are pushing until not another rep is possible. I feel like fewer sets has also allowed me to grow quite a bit more than volume. Just my 2 cents though..... different stroked for different folks.

yep I agree people respond differently.no way my body would respond to 9 sets.and theres no way I could drag out 9 sets for 45min.just me though.I incorporate drop sets and super sets in my workouts just not every workout.Like you said different strokes.I got a little more than 15 years training experience so I know what works for me.
DAWG

wild willie

• Getbig V
« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2009, 12:35:36 PM »
excellent point..... if it ain't broke don't fix it...... keep pumping my man!

pumpster

• Getbig V
  • If you're reading this you have too much free time
« Reply #12 on: March 04, 2009, 01:12:38 PM »
shiiiiiiiiiiit....your crazy.I could do any 9 sets for chest you want and wouldn't even be sore the next day...unless your 9 sets are supersets or monster sets of like 4-5 different exercises that equal one set.otherwise if I did 9 regular sets... hell I'd be out of the gym in 15 minutes.

9 sets excluding warmups is more than enough for *anyone*, if you bring it every damn set as per the following definition..i'm talking about each set brought to positive failure, then sometimes going in to negative failure. I used to waste time with high volume so i know this from experience.

Doing more than 9 sets you're essentially coasting by doing endurance work, even though you don't think so. Which is very good for precontest refinement and cutting: those extra sets have nothing to do with size. You hit a muscle with 9 hard sets as i've described and the muscle's wasted, trying to do additional sets at that point is spinning your wheels. The main reason some do more volume is because it appeals to them mentally or they're convinced it's the only way. The mental aspect is the main reason something like HIT is not popular if it's practiced as it should be, with a training partner. It's not the physical results that are so different, it's the emotional approach to training..

I agree though, that if it ain't broke, no need to fix it based on the above about the phychological appeal for some.

There's no reason either to take 2 minutes between sets, that's just another approach. Someone can just as easily do 9 intense sets with less rest, call it a day and get good results.

Best chest workout: any 2 or 3 effective chest exercises that hit different areas, done in superset or triset fashion. Presses, dips, flys for example.

Bobby

• Getbig V
  • is da lordes plan
« Reply #13 on: March 04, 2009, 01:50:28 PM »
I alternate these 2

1. Flat Dumbell Press
2. Incline Barbell Press
3. Smith Machine Press to clavicles
4. Flat Cable Flies
then maybe some Dips a set or 2

1. Incline Dumbell Press
2. Flat Barbell Press
3. Incline Cable Flies
4. Standing Cable Flies
then maybe some Dips a set or 2
tank u jesus

JasonH

• Getbig V
« Reply #14 on: March 04, 2009, 01:55:49 PM »
I've gone back to the good old flat barbell bench press recently. I do those first, followed by flat flyes, then incline barbell presses and cable crossovers to finish. My chest workouts vary more than any other bodypart I train.

QuakerOats

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
  • bring amberlamps!!!
« Reply #15 on: March 04, 2009, 02:05:41 PM »
barbell flat bench, db incline press, flat db or machine flyes.

mademan80

• Getbig II
« Reply #16 on: March 04, 2009, 03:05:09 PM »
so it looks like most of you stick to 4-5 movements...i agree that 9 sets just isnt enough for chest...my chest wouldnt even be sore either....
my routine changes every 4-5 weeks or so:
flat bb
incline bb
db flys 2 sets flat 2 sets incline
cable crossovers
i like to throw some dips in there every once in a while
i like to use the smith machine for incline
and like i said it changes alternate db presses with bb and decline every two weeks or so db and bb
i like the plate loaded hammer strength machine too
i usually do 3-4 sets for each depending on how im feeling that day

QuakerOats

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
  • bring amberlamps!!!
« Reply #17 on: March 04, 2009, 03:59:09 PM »
so it looks like most of you stick to 4-5 movements...i agree that 9 sets just isnt enough for chest...my chest wouldnt even be sore either....
my routine changes every 4-5 weeks or so:
flat bb
incline bb
db flys 2 sets flat 2 sets incline
cable crossovers
i like to throw some dips in there every once in a while
i like to use the smith machine for incline
and like i said it changes alternate db presses with bb and decline every two weeks or so db and bb
i like the plate loaded hammer strength machine too
i usually do 3-4 sets for each depending on how im feeling that day
my chest gets so sore from 9 sets that it hurts to touch it. ::)

pumpster

• Getbig V
« Reply #18 on: March 04, 2009, 04:17:05 PM »
...i agree that 9 sets just isnt enough for chest...

I can get my chest sore from 9 sets or even half that, because the intensity of every set is higher & because i know which exercies really work vs. just doing the standard exercises and going thru the motions.

If 9 sets isn't enough, it's because you're really not pushing it as hard as you think you are. It's a matter of taste, if you get right to work from square one the muscle's quickly fatigued, nothing left in the tank. If you don't work as hard each set, of course you can prolong the workout and do more sets.

big L dawg

• Getbig V
« Reply #19 on: March 04, 2009, 04:36:40 PM »
I can get my chest sore from 9 sets or even half that, because the intensity of every set is higher & because i know which exercies really work vs. just doing the standard exercises and going thru the motions.

If 9 sets isn't enough, it's because you're really not pushing it as hard as you think you are. It's a matter of taste, if you get right to work from square one the muscle's quickly fatigued, nothing left in the tank. If you don't work as hard each set, of course you can prolong the workout and do more sets.

so you don't think different things work for different people?does any of theses things factor in?Age?genetics?training experience?Body type?Drugs/supplements used?.....I mean seriously.theres to many individual factors to make a blanket statement like "If 9 sets isn't enough then your not pushing hard enough".I love the people that act like there ways the only way.
DAWG

pumpster

• Getbig V
« Reply #20 on: March 04, 2009, 04:41:24 PM »
so you don't think different things work for different people?does any of theses

Yes, different angles require different exercises therefore up to 9 sets will cover everything. I only used the idea of less sets to say that you can hit the muscle pretty well with even less.

jpm101

• Getbig IV
« Reply #21 on: March 04, 2009, 07:34:13 PM »
"V" bar dips, doing GVT (10X10's). Even 8X8's can work well. Second choice are Benches with the 3 hand positions. Extra wide ( bar lowered to the upper chest/neck area), medium (little wider than shoulders, hitting mid/lower pec's) and close grip (about 12"s or less.....lower rib box).  2 to 3 sets, no more, for each position. Now go home, in either program your pec's should be getting some serious attention.  Good Luck.
F

CalvinH

• Getbig V
  • Spastic Tarted Cvunt
« Reply #22 on: March 05, 2009, 06:41:24 AM »
barbell flat bench, db incline press, flat db or machine flyes.

People seem to knock it but I don't see myself giving up barbell flat bench anytime soon.

QuakerOats

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
  • bring amberlamps!!!
« Reply #23 on: March 05, 2009, 06:57:16 AM »

People seem to knock it but I don't see myself giving up barbell flat bench anytime soon.
exactly.

JasonH

• Getbig V
« Reply #24 on: March 05, 2009, 07:19:00 AM »

A fabulous exercise - I went about five years without doing them up until about six months ago when I started doing them again. Knocked out 6 reps with 340 on the bar last week and I aim to beat that today in about half an hour when I head off to the gym for my Thursday chest and biceps workout.