Author Topic: Nerve damage back pain theory  (Read 839 times)

Marty Champions

• Getbig V
Nerve damage back pain theory
« on: October 16, 2021, 05:47:00 AM »
over time we use our dominate leg just a bit more than our weaker side without realizing especially on squats. Our dominate side will tend to progress and weak side degenerate further if corrective measures arent there... The weaker side will atrophy , lets say right leg is weaker. This right leg weakening will then effect gait and make the spinal disc slip to the left, wich causes bad gait and lean to the left

Over time the 'reps' or steps with the strong leg can have a 15 to 20 percent more capacity than the weak leg eventual the disk will shift away creating pain

The differential in strength from right to left side must be evened out, lunges every day and abs every day
A

bhank

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • 2024 NPC Charlotte Cup Champion
Re: Nerve damage back pain theory
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2021, 05:55:38 AM »
over time we use our dominate leg just a bit more than our weaker side without realizing especially on squats. Our dominate side will tend to progress and weak side degenerate further if corrective measures arent there... The weaker side will atrophy , lets say right leg is weaker. This right leg weakening will then effect gait and make the spinal disc slip to the left, wich causes bad gait and lean to the left

Over time the 'reps' or steps with the strong leg can have a 15 to 20 percent more capacity than the weak leg eventual the disk will shift away creating pain

The differential in strength from right to left side must be evened out, lunges every day and abs every day

Your weaker side isn't going to atrophy and degenerate from doing squats that is nonsense

Marty Champions

• Getbig V
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2021, 05:59:31 AM »
Your weaker side isn't going to atrophy and degenerate from doing squats that is nonsense
u gotta hit legs unilaterally or one at the time to have both sides built up evenly . In squats you arent correcting the imbalance
A

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2021, 06:48:31 AM »
I'm not a doctor and I put some of my personal empirical information at the end. Get an MRI by an Orthopedic surgeon. Follow his advice.

The cushion between the vertebrae might be damaged causing the bone to hit the nerves coming out of the spine. In my younger days I powerlifted and I would "throw" my back out every once in awhile. It would take 7 to 10 days for the nerves to quiet down. I haven't had a lower back injury in decades and I'm in my 60's. Disclaimer I've had some minor irritation once in awhile but nothing like I use to in my youth. This worked for me and it might not work for you.  It might make it worse.  Consult a doctor.  I made my lower back nearly bullet proof by including these three exercises.  Semi stiff deadlifts off a block getting a good stretch. Second is weighted back extensions using a horizontal back extension bench and not the new 45 degree ones where the resistance dies off near the top. Lastly hanging leg raises. I speculate that hanging leg raises decompress the spine. 

You're probably young and can do stuff like heavy squats and deads. Some younger guys and especially older guys have to watch spinal compression that could lead to nerve problems. I see guys doing these barbell shrugs with a crazy amount of weight bouncing doing short range of motion. No doubt that in time many will regret doing that to their spine. So much safer to do a full range of controlled rep cadence with a lighter weight so you're not crunching the spine with momentum with a heavy weight.

I see guys deadlifting with a big fast jerk to start the weight.  Yes, you can lift more doing that but it's not safe. Will everyone have problems? No, but it's a risk. The momentum increases the weight load on the spine drastically.  Apply pressure to getting that barbell off the floor until enough is there to get it moving. You want to make yourself stronger and not delusionally lift a heavier weight by jerking it off the ground.

The barbell squat is something that causes problems for many eventually. The compression while bending over with a barbell squat can cause problems over time. It can also be bad for the hip. Clarence Bass, Big Lou, Grimek and host of other champs have had their hips replaced.  They might state the squat has nothing to do with it but I wonder?  A safer alternative is the dumbbell squat for older trainers. Hear me out. Someone will say I do my squats with 300lbs. My gym doesn't have 150lbs dumbbells. That's the beauty of the dumbbell squats. A lighter weight is harder than the equivalent weight of a barbell. What do I mean?  If you are using 300lbs for a barbell squat set, two 90lbs dumbbells might be too much weight to use. You have to do it correctly though. The technique is to use straps and hold the dumbbells at your sides.  Squat as upright as you can concentrating on sinking your butt. If you barely bend your legs and deadlift the weight you're doing it wrong. It's a brutal exercise. Completely bend your legs. 

Another contributor to a bad back is the leg press. Guys use so much weight barely bending their legs that sometimes their butt moves curling in the seat from the weight again crunching the spine. Lighten the load and concentrate on bending the legs. Lower the back board so your legs can come back.

Lastly with all the hamstring work we do in the gym many times we lose flexibility. That sets the chain of issues into action causing the lower back to be strained. This can be corrected by gently stretching the lower back while exercising the bicep femoris with semi stiff deadlifts and stretching exercises.

I'm sure what I wrote will send google experts into motion and two week personal training people to their computer folders to quote "impressive" terms and a recommendation of unconventional exercises. 

pamith

• Getbig V
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2021, 07:07:07 AM »
Brutal if true

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2021, 07:10:19 AM »
Brutal if true

It would be true if we didn't alternate our legs walking and climbing stairs. Only a getbigger would use one leg to walk down the block.  ;D

bhank

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2021, 07:25:16 AM »
u gotta hit legs unilaterally or one at the time to have both sides built up evenly . In squats you arent correcting the imbalance

There is a difference between the dominant side staying stronger using barbell movements and the weaker side actually atrophying. Neither leg is going to atrophy from doing barbell movements.

Marty Champions

• Getbig V
« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2021, 07:58:33 AM »
There is a difference between the dominant side staying stronger using barbell movements and the weaker side actually atrophying. Neither leg is going to atrophy from doing barbell movements.
Right but its like adding levels to a sky scraper that has an uneven or sinking foundation. U can bulk that muscle on but the spine will slip to one side ore the other pinching that nerve on the weak side causing atrophy because the trunk tends to lean away from the weaker leg exacerbating what was once a small strength differential into a larger issue
A

Van_Bilderass

• Getbig V
  • "Don't Try"
« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2021, 08:20:31 AM »
I've read physiotherapists saying "pain" is not a good gauge of damage of the spine as some with lots of confirmed damage have no pain whereas some with no confirmed damage, as in MR imaging, are in a lot of pain. They also say the spine is more robust than people assume. I know a guy who hurt his back at 18 years old and it put his whole life on hold, now at 55 he's still in a lot of pain. Hasn't worked a day since 18.  I have to think he should maybe have done aggressive therapy in spite of the pain instead of this "avoidance" approach.

Another interesting observation is that back pain usually resolves as you get old. Obviously nothing healed, it just stopped hurting.

bhank

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2021, 08:25:36 AM »
Right but its like adding levels to a sky scraper that has an uneven or sinking foundation. U can bulk that muscle on but the spine will slip to one side ore the other pinching that nerve on the weak side causing atrophy because the trunk tends to lean away from the weaker leg exacerbating what was once a small strength differential into a larger issue

No again you are not going to atrophy on one side from barbell movements that is nonsense

joswift

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #10 on: October 16, 2021, 08:26:36 AM »
when my left calf wasnt activating i could still do standing calfs and I wasnt aware my left calf wasnt firing, unless I worked one calf at a time I would have been fucked

Hypertrophy

• Getbig V
« Reply #11 on: October 16, 2021, 09:16:03 AM »
when my left calf wasnt activating i could still do standing calfs and I wasnt aware my left calf wasnt firing, unless I worked one calf at a time I would have been fucked

Agree. I injured my back some years ago and ended up with such sciatica that I couldn't even use my left leg cycling= the right was perfectly fine. You can totally atrophy one side of the body. After I recovered I had to do one leg movements to rebalance my strength.

loco

• Getbig V
  • loco like a fox
« Reply #12 on: October 16, 2021, 09:25:47 AM »

Marty Champions

• Getbig V
« Reply #13 on: October 16, 2021, 01:43:01 PM »

kinda skipped around on this but good video I wouldn’t be surprised if I was chronically dehydrated even though I drink water I still sweating like it’s summer here in october
A