Author Topic: Brutally Unflexible  (Read 2751 times)

djliftsthings

• Getbig IV
  • RIP Pellius
Brutally Unflexible
« on: October 15, 2021, 04:48:03 PM »
at 55 now Im horribly unflexible. I can barely touch my knees let along my toes. Im thinking of getting into yoga for flexibility and thinking it may improvement heart health and overall health. Any geezers my age who are flexible and can comment on the benefits of it?
"

Grape Ape

• Getbig V
  • SC č un asino
Re: Brutally Unflexible
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2021, 04:56:37 PM »
Despite working out regularly, I am in the same boat and am completely inflexible.

I hate the feeling of stretching more than any other workout discomfort.

The times I have keyed on it for a short time - foam rolling, dynamic warmup stuff, I feel my form greatly improves.

Then I get lazy with it and stop.
Y

Rambone

• Getbig V
  • bhank is coming….
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2021, 05:04:47 PM »
Ever try DDP yoga? It has helped some very inflexible people

djliftsthings

• Getbig IV
  • RIP Pellius
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2021, 05:18:12 PM »
Ever try DDP yoga? It has helped some very inflexible people

too much commitment. I can focus for about 11 minutes then Im off on another planet
"

Rambone

• Getbig V
  • bhank is coming….
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2021, 05:23:57 PM »
too much commitment. I can focus for about 11 minutes then Im off on another planet

What about 8 Minute Abs?

Van_Bilderass

• Getbig V
  • "Don't Try"
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2021, 05:24:36 PM »
I'm really unflexible. I don't know if there are health benefits to flexibility. I know you don't want too much of it either.

One thing I've learned through my readings is that stretching basically does nothing to muscle or tendons really, they certainly don't get "longer." What happens with stretching when flexibility is increased is an adaptation in the nervous system instead. You kind of desensitize to the resistance to stretch, you don't feel the pain.

I get about half the range on the adductor machines compared to others in the gym. This is the machine that gives me the most uncomfortable DOMS out of all when I go back to it. I always make the mistake of going too hard. In pain, hard to walk, last time I was almost feverish the next day lol.

djliftsthings

• Getbig IV
  • RIP Pellius
« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2021, 05:29:35 PM »
What about 8 Minute Abs?

what are these abs you speak of?
"

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2021, 06:36:51 PM »
Most people think of flexibility with the legs. Many guys who body build and bench tend to have very inflexible shoulder joints, elbows and hands. This leads to a high injury potential lifting.

I also have problems with flexibility. I went on an extensive shoulder program to gain flexibility in the joint awhile back. There are so many movements.  I think I was doing six shoulder related stretches at one point. I drifted away from it when my shoulder got better but truth be told I should have stayed with it. Most guys with shoulder issues only work the rotator cuff muscles and that's a good thing. They would be so much better off if they worked on their shoulder flexibility too.

Spike

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Kill your ego
« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2021, 07:07:27 PM »
flexibility is conditioning

the more you do it - the better you respond - i just can’t bring myself to stretch everyday - i’m a loser who has to work often 

hips and shoulders are key - you can pay people to stretch you now at specific places(like StretchZone) - never tried it but makes sense

I would rather pay someone to stretch me than some trainer - BUT there is no real certification, yet, maybe like some physio type 

Marty Champions

• Getbig V
« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2021, 08:14:08 PM »
Ill pick a certain yoga and do it to failure like everything else after .
A

LurkerNoMore

• Getbig V
  • Dumb people think Trump is smart.
« Reply #10 on: October 15, 2021, 08:29:14 PM »
Forced yoga - Parillo style - is the key.

Weider Overhead Glute Hams Anus To Moon pose helped Platz out tremendously too

Al Doggity

• Getbig V
  • Old School Gemini
« Reply #11 on: October 15, 2021, 08:31:08 PM »
Despite working out regularly, I am in the same boat and am completely inflexible.

I hate the feeling of stretching more than any other workout discomfort.

The times I have keyed on it for a short time - foam rolling, dynamic warmup stuff, I feel my form greatly improves.

Then I get lazy with it and stop.

Consider stretching separately from working out. I stopped doing a stretching warm up because I came to the conclusion it didn't really do anything other than add time to my workout when I just wanted to pick shit up and put it down. I started full body stretching last year before bed and I feel it has helped me more than pre-workout stretching ever did.  More importantly, because it wasn't a pre-workout chore, I was able to be consistent with it. I would also suggest not trying to kill yourself, just acknowledge your body's limits and go very slightly  beyond that.  IMO consistency is the most important thing .

obsidian

• Getbig V
« Reply #12 on: October 15, 2021, 09:19:14 PM »
at 55 now Im horribly unflexible. I can barely touch my knees let along my toes. Im thinking of getting into yoga for flexibility and thinking it may improvement heart health and overall health. Any geezers my age who are flexible and can comment on the benefits of it?
Are you taking fish oil, glucosamine and all the other usual supplements? It also helps stretching often. In the shower, at the gym between sets, when making coffee or tea in the kitchen. Bend down and try touching your toes often. Also exercise your core. Good mornings, hyper extensions, sit-ups...

CalvinH

• Getbig V
  • Spastic Tarted Cvunt
« Reply #13 on: October 15, 2021, 09:31:18 PM »
At least 6 or 7 days a week when I get up in the morning. doesn't take me long, maybe 5 minutes and mostly lower body especially hamstrings.
Makes all the difference in the world for me. I use to play golf then be sore for two days, any kind of working around the house where I'd be bent over
{No homo} and I'd be in pain for a day and now I'm fine the next day.
I do 10 sec stretches, arms over head as high as I can, arms stretched wide from shoulder length, right arm across my chest braced by my left and then do the same with the opposite arm.
Standing and holding one foot up behind my back,then foot in back at a angle towards my knee,then foot in front at a angle towards my knee,then opposite leg.
Put one leg straight across on a couch or chair and lean forward towards it then the same with the other leg.
Try to lean down and touch my toes in a relaxed position, then when warmed up really try to stretch by putting my hands behind my calf's and pulling my lower body down while keeping my legs straight.
While facing forward and spreading my legs wide {Again no homo} lean to one side and try touch my toes then do the other leg.

Reads like it's a lot but it doesn't take much time a all.

djliftsthings

• Getbig IV
  • RIP Pellius
« Reply #14 on: October 15, 2021, 09:42:29 PM »
At least 6 or 7 days a week when I get up in the morning. doesn't take me long, maybe 5 minutes and mostly lower body especially hamstrings.
Makes all the difference in the world for me. I use to play golf then be sore for two days, any kind of working around the house where I'd be bent over
{No homo} and I'd be in pain for a day and now I'm fine the next day.
I do 10 sec stretches, arms over head as high as I can, arms stretched wide from shoulder length, right arm across my chest braced by my left and then do the same with the opposite arm.
Standing and holding one foot up behind my back,then foot in back at a angle towards my knee,then foot in front at a angle towards my knee,then opposite leg.
Put one leg straight across on a couch or chair and lean forward towards it then the same with the other leg.
Try to lean down and touch my toes in a relaxed position, then when warmed up really try to stretch by putting my hands behind my calf's and pulling my lower body down while keeping my legs straight.
While facing forward and spreading my legs wide {Again no homo} lean to one side and try touch my toes then do the other leg.

Reads like it's a lot but it doesn't take much time a all.

this is really great and doable for me

seems pretty homo to me though, but hey, nothing wrong with that
"

Grape Ape

• Getbig V
  • SC č un asino
« Reply #15 on: October 15, 2021, 10:06:06 PM »
Consider stretching separately from working out. I stopped doing a stretching warm up because I came to the conclusion it didn't really do anything other than add time to my workout when I just wanted to pick shit up and put it down. I started full body stretching last year before bed and I feel it has helped me more than pre-workout stretching ever did.  More importantly, because it wasn't a pre-workout chore, I was able to be consistent with it. I would also suggest not trying to kill yourself, just acknowledge your body's limits and go very slightly  beyond that.  IMO consistency is the  most important thing .

Very sound advice / i will move the stuff I use to the bedroom and give this a shot.

Thank you.
Y

Never1AShow

• Getbig V
  • World Record Holder in French Toast Diving
« Reply #16 on: October 15, 2021, 10:25:18 PM »
Where are the pictures of Brutal Bertil Fox?

TheFranchise

• Getbig III
« Reply #17 on: October 16, 2021, 12:06:01 AM »
NFL is c’unts for blocking the video on here but the vids are around 10 min and 20 min each.

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #18 on: October 16, 2021, 04:50:13 AM »
Sprinters rarely do static stretches because it makes them slower and takes away power.  Watch how sprinters stretch before a race. They use ballistic bouncing stretches that "experts" say is bad. It sure works for them.

Humble Narcissist

• Getbig V
« Reply #19 on: October 16, 2021, 04:52:19 AM »
What about 8 Minute Abs?
7 Minute Abs is even better.

Rambone

• Getbig V
  • bhank is coming….
« Reply #20 on: October 16, 2021, 04:58:54 AM »
7 Minute Abs is even better.

No! No, no, not 6! I said 7. Nobody's comin' up with 6. Who works out in 6 minutes? You won't even get your heart going

wes

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • What Dire Mishap Has Befallen Thee
« Reply #21 on: October 16, 2021, 05:08:38 AM »
Shit,it`s comical even to me to attempt to reach my feet to put on my socks.   ;D

For years I have vowed to stretch after I trained,but after working out hard,then doing at least 30 minutes of cardio,I would just say fuck it.....now I`m like the friggion` Tin Man from Oz !!

Gonna` try Clavins method starting today before I lose the ability to even move......thanks Clavin !!

joswift

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Brian had a probation officer but wasnt a criminal
« Reply #22 on: October 16, 2021, 05:26:46 AM »
makes sense to stretch after a workout when you are fully warmed up

Taffin

• Getbig V
  • Training out my gay penor...
« Reply #23 on: October 16, 2021, 05:30:37 AM »
No! No, no, not 6! I said 7. Nobody's comin' up with 6. Who works out in 6 minutes? You won't even get your heart going

;D

T

bhank

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Trainer of Champions
« Reply #24 on: October 16, 2021, 05:32:45 AM »
You should be able to put your palms on the ground and grab the back of your ankles bending over straight your forehead should touch your knees. Having a 50lb tire around your midsection is going to hurt your flexibility. You want to be more flexible lose 75lbs. I have had 7 orthopedic surgeries I have a herniated disc and whiplash from a dozen car wrecks. I can still grab the back of my ankles.

Take a yoga class after half a dozen classes you will know which stretches work for you and you can do them at home