Author Topic: SAVE FITNESS  (Read 14534 times)

CQ

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • TGT
Re: SAVE FITNESS
« Reply #50 on: May 11, 2006, 06:51:13 AM »

The Fitness girls work harder than ANY of the BB related sports (yes, including the men). The problem is...because it's the hardest discipline, it's very easy for girls to switch to Figure...which is far easier but just as rewarding when it comes to exposure (which is bigger) and more importantly...MONEY.

Just bumping this point as I think there appears on some levels to be a perception that figure and fitness contain the same levels of difficulty, or that somehow it is 'politically incorrect' to say that fitness is harder than figure....which it is by far.

As someone already pointed out, fitness is also considerably more entertaining than figure.

Another thing that perterbs me is the lack of fitness shows vs. figure shows which are everywhere. All fitness girls whether amateur, pro, US based or internationally based, simply have less shows to choose from than their figure counterparts.

Nevertheless, I fully support 'saving fitness' on all levels. I am presently working with my federation here to try and do this...

shootfighter1

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Competitor- NABBA Nationals Overall Champ
« Reply #51 on: May 11, 2006, 02:08:40 PM »
I agree with the above.  I enjoyed watching ESPN when they covered the fitness events. 

Fitness is a great sport combining the physique and athletics.  There's more to it competitively and visually. 

To me its what all this is about.  I try to mix BBing and sports (wrestling/kickboxing).  I think its important to be muscular and functional.

dylan

• Getbig I
« Reply #52 on: May 12, 2006, 04:50:43 AM »
Hi,

Don't know if you are aware that IFBB pro Maria Bellando, has gotten the judging criteria changed for fitness at the NPC level.  The fitness round is now 50% of the score with both physique rounds 25 and 25.  I hope that the IFBB follows suit.  This started last year.  Maria may not be currently competiting, but she is definately one of the pros pushing for the sport of fitness, her show is one of the largest shows in nation, and she is such a great role model for the sport.

Keep up the good work Maria, we love you down here in Miami.

Dylan

MCWAY

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #53 on: May 20, 2006, 12:48:31 PM »
Hi,

Don't know if you are aware that IFBB pro Maria Bellando, has gotten the judging criteria changed for fitness at the NPC level.  The fitness round is now 50% of the score with both physique rounds 25 and 25.  I hope that the IFBB follows suit.  This started last year.  Maria may not be currently competiting, but she is definately one of the pros pushing for the sport of fitness, her show is one of the largest shows in nation, and she is such a great role model for the sport.

Keep up the good work Maria, we love you down here in Miami.

Dylan

Then, that simply means that the girls, that can launch themselves into orbit and do push-ups with their feet sticking out of their ears, will dominate.

dylan

• Getbig I
« Reply #54 on: May 21, 2006, 06:02:14 PM »
No, that means that the girls that have the better routines will at least have their routine count for 1/2 their score, which could help them in the placings.

hardlyhard

• Getbig II
« Reply #55 on: May 26, 2006, 08:41:34 AM »
The IFBB does have the scoring at 50% routine and 50% physique.  4 rounds. 2 each.  BUT that does not make a difference if they simply like who they like and overlook someone with a less than fantastic routine and great physique or vise versa.

I need not remind people that the org is based on physique in the first place.  The NPC in my estimation is the most fair and consistent.  Since the new rules it will be even more fair.  They have taken the routine score and now doubled it which is weeding out some of the girls that have super strong bodies and weaker routines. (not bad routines, simply weaker than thier body) The NPC is fair and as a whole, the girls who get pro cards all deserve to move to the IFBB.  Once they get there. its a new ball game. 

My hope is that the Ifbb will score each round as it should be and the best averages simply win.

ozichick

• Getbig I
« Reply #56 on: May 26, 2006, 11:17:20 PM »
Good on you Tanji for trying to do something to bring up fitness numbers. This is a hugely marketable sport and yet it struggles to pull numbers. I think changes need to be made at the amateur level and the emphasis taken off gymnastics. This is NOT a gymnastics competition. I think a lot of girls who are interested in fitness get frightened off by what they perceive as the gymnastics prerequisite. Lets not forget the origins of this sport-bodybuilding. The physique has to account for something. And as for the routines, they should be entertaining and well executed above all else. I love it when Adela, Tracey Greenwood and other non gymnastic girls do well because it opens the door for those who base their routines on strength, dance or whatever without a tumble in site. The judging is definitely where the changes need to be made. Here's hoping!

MCWAY

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #57 on: May 27, 2006, 02:47:49 AM »
Good on you Tanji for trying to do something to bring up fitness numbers. This is a hugely marketable sport and yet it struggles to pull numbers. I think changes need to be made at the amateur level and the emphasis taken off gymnastics. This is NOT a gymnastics competition. I think a lot of girls who are interested in fitness get frightened off by what they perceive as the gymnastics prerequisite. Lets not forget the origins of this sport-bodybuilding. The physique has to account for something. And as for the routines, they should be entertaining and well executed above all else. I love it when Adela, Tracey Greenwood and other non gymnastic girls do well because it opens the door for those who base their routines on strength, dance or whatever without a tumble in site. The judging is definitely where the changes need to be made. Here's hoping!

Wasn't that tried years ago, when George Snyder (I think) came up with the Ms. Galaxy? The obstacle course was supposed to be the level playing field, with an objective measure of fitness. But, from what I remember the results were much the same as the fitness shows where half the score is from the routine.

The legitimate athletic ladies placed well; The T&A girls placed rock-bottom.

fitfan

• Getbig II
« Reply #58 on: May 27, 2006, 05:26:23 AM »
Thanks hardlyhard...finally someone telling it like really is!!  The change in judging based on merit rather than some other unspoken factor is glaringly obvious when you go from the NPC to the IFBB.   But unfortunately I don't see things changing any time soon...