Author Topic: New to boards (introduction) advice needed  (Read 2276 times)

grandpa

• Getbig I
New to boards (introduction) advice needed
« on: June 26, 2008, 08:30:25 AM »
Dont let the name fool you I am a twenty year old college student.  After coming home from school this summer I find that my little brother (18) is suddenly totally jacked.  I have always lifted on and off and have always been the BIG brother and now he can totally kick my ass if he wanted to.  I have made it my mission to change this.  First thing I needed to do was strip off all the college fat, (i'm in a fraternity).  I started this in the beggining of May @ 188lbs.  After totally cutting beer out of my diet (for the most part) and eating healthy I have dropped to my target weight of 165lbs (I am 5'11").  Now I want to get big.  I have tried getting big before. In high school I went from around 150 my sophomore year to almost 200 by the end of senior year but I looked like shit.  I was drinking loads of creatine and eating everything in site (I'm a hard gainer) so I basically looked like a dumptruck (no definition what so ever, just bloated pecs, and large lats, no abs, back, or arm definition.) 

So hear I am clean slate at a healthy 165 ready to pack on some muscle.  I'm a forum reader and not a dumbass (I've been reading this site for about 1 month) so I know all about what supps are good and bad, but I was wondering if anyone has a similair body type and has anything that works for them (e.g. getting big while maintaining some sort of definition.)

In conclusion I want to get big, and I'm dead serious about it.  (contemplating gear but only after I have reached a plateau)

grandpa

• Getbig I
Re: New to boards (introduction) advice needed
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2008, 08:35:41 AM »
Oh and my current lifts are: 175 bench 5-8reps.  Barbell curl=about 100 3-5reps.  Deadlift 275 5-7reps.
And squat (don't laugh) 135 5-8reps.

These are my semi-max numbers could probably add 10 lbs or so and do the 1 rep but I haven't maxed out in a while due to my dieting.

JudgeReinhold

• Time Out
  • Getbig II
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2008, 12:33:13 PM »
Welcome grandpa.

Bluto

• Getbig V
  • Well?
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2008, 03:47:43 PM »
dont gonna read all that but eat and lift and report back in 5 years
Z

dov

• Getbig IV
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2008, 04:51:56 PM »
Welcome "Grandpa"...here's my suggestion..I'm assuming you don't have any injuries or anything...if you are'nt familiar with these lifts, then learn them. Never sacrafice your form just to lift heavier weight...or you will def injure yourself. Learn the correct form/technique on each and every movement !!!!!! Keep weight very light until you're comfortable moving up slowly!!!

Workouts -  build your workouts around 4 basic compound movements...incline barbell bench presses, barbell deadlifts(off the floor), standing front barbell military presses, and barbell squats.......perform these exercises on consecutive/seperate days.................add secondary/trimmings exercises to each workout

Diet - don't go more than 2 hours without eating..every meal should contain a lean protein choice( eggs, fish, lean red meat, protein shakes, chicken breasts, etc) ......include complex carbs(oatmeal, rice, whole wheat products, sweet pot, baked pot, etc) with half of these meals..especially meal #1 of the day and directly after your daily workout.

Stay away from sugars and saturated fats.....try this for a consistent 3 months

pretty basic stuff I've suggested...key is to be consistent in diet and training..perhaps some others here can add input as well...

windsor88

• Getbig IV
  • Victim of the Drug War
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2008, 04:58:56 PM »
Diet - don't go more than 2 hours without eating..every meal should contain a lean protein choice( eggs, fish, lean red meat, protein shakes, chicken breasts, etc) ......include complex carbs(oatmeal, rice, whole wheat products, sweet pot, baked pot, etc) with half of these meals..especially meal #1 of the day and directly after your daily workout.

This works well. If you can be consistent.

How many calories are recommended per meal. 300-500 to cut?

NaturalWonder83

• Getbig V
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2008, 06:11:58 PM »
welcome grandpa!
w

chaos

• Getbig V
  • Ron "There is no freedom of speech here" Avidan
« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2008, 07:12:35 PM »
Grandpa, welcome to the board. I think you could benefit greatly by reading the training board and some of the training logs.
Liar!!!!Filt!!!!

Montague

• Getbig V
  • The black degelation does not know this nig - V.G.
« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2008, 07:48:29 AM »
Oh and my current lifts are: 175 bench 5-8reps.  Barbell curl=about 100 3-5reps.  Deadlift 275 5-7reps.
And squat (don't laugh) 135 5-8reps.

These are my semi-max numbers could probably add 10 lbs or so and do the 1 rep but I haven't maxed out in a while due to my dieting.

An honest poster...
How nice (and unusual)!
Welcome, Gramps.

Good luck with your goals.
See you on the Training & Nutrition boards.

Obvious Gimmick

• Getbig V
  • I'd hit it
« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2008, 01:24:23 PM »
welcome gramps, Chaos is right. go to the training board, theres a sticky there about different training programs. Max-OT works well for me, but do whats right for you.

Also, please go to the Steroid and HC board before doing any gear. there are some smart guys there that will give you solid advice and research the shit out of whatever ANYONE tells you.

Zaphod

• Getbig IV
  • IFBB Mr Canada 1970
« Reply #10 on: June 28, 2008, 02:29:12 PM »
Welcom Gramps! Train hard, eat well, and maintain a positive attitude.  ;)

Deadpool

• Getbig V
« Reply #11 on: June 28, 2008, 03:13:55 PM »
Medford is a female, sort of just so you know
X

Jeffro

• Getbig IV
« Reply #12 on: June 30, 2008, 06:47:33 AM »
Welcome "Grandpa"...here's my suggestion..I'm assuming you don't have any injuries or anything...if you are'nt familiar with these lifts, then learn them. Never sacrafice your form just to lift heavier weight...or you will def injure yourself. Learn the correct form/technique on each and every movement !!!!!! Keep weight very light until you're comfortable moving up slowly!!!

Workouts -  build your workouts around 4 basic compound movements...incline barbell bench presses, barbell deadlifts(off the floor), standing front barbell military presses, and barbell squats.......perform these exercises on consecutive/seperate days.................add secondary/trimmings exercises to each workout

pretty basic stuff I've suggested...key is to be consistent in diet and training..perhaps some others here can add input as well...
Good advice dov  8)

genrommel74

• Getbig III
« Reply #13 on: June 30, 2008, 09:36:06 PM »
heavy lifts, and lots of clean food, with some heathly fats, and report back in a a couple years

_bruce_

• Getbig V
  • Sam Sesambröt Sulek
« Reply #14 on: July 04, 2008, 11:11:56 AM »
hahahaa - grandpa

grandpa

• Getbig I
« Reply #15 on: July 07, 2008, 08:03:26 AM »
thanks for the warm introduction guys.
medford thank you for the informative post...

just got back from a 2 week vacation/family reunion.  totally killed my diet (italian family, all they do is cook and argue... i couldn't help but eat).  Worst part is my little brother has been in summer school for a month and doesn't have to go the whole thing, he just shows up for the 4th of July weekend. He just got up to school so he definetly has had tons of free time in the gym. He shows up sporting a mohawk.. appalling most of my family. He rocks it well.  Damn him, I will catch him