Author Topic: Best Horror Movies  (Read 35862 times)

The Ugly

• Getbig V
Re: Best Horror Movie
« Reply #150 on: October 25, 2014, 02:54:39 AM »
A lot of the old Dario argento movies

Demons
Demons 2
Susperia
Deep red
Tenebre
Phenomena
The church
Inferno
Opera

Others like:

Babysitter wanted
Teeth
The abandoned
Dead snow
American Mary
Rec
We are are what we are
Frontiers
Alice sweet Alice
Vhs series
Dolly dearest
The innkeepers
Dead girl
The house of the devil
Trick R treat
Frozen

Best of the bunch by a cuntry mile.

The Ugly

• Getbig V
« Reply #151 on: October 25, 2014, 02:57:28 AM »
wasnt the movie  THE EXORCISM OF EMILY ROSE kind of a copycat of the exorcist? seemed like it anyway or was both based on different events that took place?

Only the possession itself. They framed it within a court case, though, which I thought added a unique angle. Great film.

orion

• Getbig IV
« Reply #152 on: October 25, 2014, 06:36:47 AM »
This one was a weird one but it had a pretty scary monster.  It was an alien hunting humans in LA.  Possibly the idea for Predator?  Also another strange on was Xtro. Made no sense but had frightening images for it's time.

BIG ACH

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
« Reply #153 on: October 25, 2014, 09:34:33 AM »
Is Christine considered horror? Either way, that one scared me too as a kid.

The book was brilliant....  The movie really didn't do anything for me (sorry don't mean to be that guy lol) although the downward spiral into madness of the main character was a great acting performance I thought!

blackbart12090

• Getbig II
  • I was so black it was 2005 it was magnificent.
« Reply #154 on: October 25, 2014, 09:45:03 AM »
I'd love to hear your thoughts on the film. Halloween and horror is always a new movie to watch this time.

Megalodon

• Getbig V
« Reply #155 on: October 25, 2014, 10:29:21 AM »
This one was a weird one but it had a pretty scary monster.  It was an alien hunting humans in LA.  Possibly the idea for Predator?  Also another strange on was Xtro. Made no sense but had frightening images for it's time.

Megalodon

• Getbig V
« Reply #156 on: October 25, 2014, 10:39:21 AM »
A lot of the old Dario argento movies

Demons
Demons 2
Susperia
Deep red
Tenebre
Phenomena
The church
Inferno
Opera

Others like:

Babysitter wanted
Teeth
The abandoned
Dead snow
American Mary
Rec
We are are what we are
Frontiers
Alice sweet Alice
Vhs series
Dolly dearest
The innkeepers
Dead girl
The house of the devil
Trick R treat
Frozen

Have you seen Amer? It was made in 2009 and really captures the essence of a Giallo movie.

blackbart12090

• Getbig II
  • I was so black it was 2005 it was magnificent.
« Reply #157 on: October 25, 2014, 11:31:19 AM »

Ronnie Rep

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #158 on: October 25, 2014, 03:13:11 PM »
The book was brilliant....  The movie really didn't do anything for me (sorry don't mean to be that guy lol) although the downward spiral into madness of the main character was a great acting performance I thought!
Absolutely. As with most movies not holding up to the book, especially Stephen King books. I thought Carrie, The Shining ,and Misery were the only movies that held up to the books.

EastCoastChick

• Getbig III
  • How the f%@k do you post personal pics?
« Reply #159 on: October 25, 2014, 03:22:25 PM »
The book was brilliant....  The movie really didn't do anything for me (sorry don't mean to be that guy lol) although the downward spiral into madness of the main character was a great acting performance I thought!

I saw it as a kid so it had a different affect on me then. Since I like to subject myself to controlled fear for some odd reason, I might have to read the book.

Earl1972

• Getbig V
  • #EarlToo
« Reply #160 on: October 25, 2014, 04:15:53 PM »
i like the old one with chris sarandon,great movie.peter vincent the great vampire killer

that's the one i meant, guess i have to clarify that now with all the shitty remakes

E
E

Bevo

• Getbig V
  • Middle Urinal at Buc-ee’s
« Reply #161 on: October 25, 2014, 07:16:33 PM »
Have you seen Amer? It was made in 2009 and really captures the essence of a Giallo movie.

Yes that was a great one. Been watching horror films since I was 7

Everything and anything from foreign, independent, etc

Moontrane

• Getbig V
  • a Harris administration, together with Joe Biden
« Reply #162 on: October 25, 2014, 09:02:22 PM »
"Alien" shits all over "Aliens" - a year ago I watched the second part and I was shocked at how cliche/laughable the Marines were.

Alien is one of my top five horror films.  I saw it a day or so after it opened in Times Square at the old Criterion cinema.  It was late May - warm - and the cinema's AC was out, so it was humid and a mist formed above all our heads.  This created quite the ambience for viewing the film.

Alien was based on the 1958 film, "It! The Terror from Beyond Space."  Major plot points were reused in Alien.

ChopperRider

• Getbig V
  • Ugly, bald Shitso scalp for sale = $1
« Reply #163 on: October 25, 2014, 09:31:30 PM »
Thinking about this some more, maybe not "horror" movies, but scary nonetheless:

Misery

Mulholland Drive

Silence of the Lambs

Rosemary's Baby

The Ugly

• Getbig V
« Reply #164 on: October 25, 2014, 09:57:17 PM »
Absolutely. As with most movies not holding up to the book, especially Stephen King books. I thought Carrie, The Shining ,and Misery were the only movies that held up to the books.

Shawshank (albeit a short story) and Green Mile didn't turn out too bad, did they?

Stand by Me?

The Ugly

• Getbig V
« Reply #165 on: October 25, 2014, 09:59:48 PM »
Thinking about this some more, maybe not "horror" movies, but scary nonetheless:

Misery

Mulholland Drive

Silence of the Lambs

Rosemary's Baby

Can probably put Se7en on that list, too, with Silence. But, yeah, not horror. And Sixth Sense, which I'm still unsure how to categorize. Also, Lost Highway, if you're including MD.

The Ugly

• Getbig V
« Reply #166 on: October 25, 2014, 10:47:28 PM »
Made this same thread last Halloween, so I wasn't gonna post 'em again. But horror's my thing, I gotta.

The classics already mentioned first: Night of the Living Dead, Exorcist, Shining, Halloween, The Omen, and The Changeling in particular. All fantastic. But The Innocents, too. Creepy as hell b&w, '61 gem based on Turn of the Screw. Eerily suspenseful, must see ghost story. Don't Look Now, a genre-bending mindfuck, but so psychologically disturbing I'm including it here. Polanski's Repulsion, too, same category as DLN, same terrifying creepiness. Finally, Woman in Black, the original. Best horror ever made for TV.

Now Alien is amazing, but it's too sci-fi for me to include in the genre. Could be wrong.

More recent: Jacob's Ladder, Event Horizon, The Others, Blair Witch and Paranormal Activity (probably the two that affected me the most, fuck the bandwagon critics), The Descent, Rec, 28 Days Later, The Devil's Backbone, and SESSION FUCKING 9 for the love of God! By far the most underrated masterpiece of modern horror.

Honorable mention: The Wicker Man (original, of course), The Ring (remake), The Strangers, Sinister, and The Conjuring. Maybe Stir of Echoes, too.

Probably forgetting a few, but for the most part, these all have something my horror snobbishness requires: They're smart, and they put a premium on atmosphere, suspense, and psychological fuckery. And they don't try to mix funny with scary, I hate that shit. Not that it can't work (Shaun of the Dead, for instance), but it's a whole other animal.

Moontrane

• Getbig V
  • a Harris administration, together with Joe Biden
« Reply #167 on: October 26, 2014, 12:59:19 AM »
Made this same thread last Halloween, so I wasn't gonna post 'em again. But horror's my thing, I gotta.

The classics already mentioned first: Night of the Living Dead, Exorcist, Shining, Halloween, The Omen, and The Changeling in particular. All fantastic. But The Innocents, too. Creepy as hell b&w, '61 gem based on Turn of the Screw. Eerily suspenseful, must see ghost story. Don't Look Now, a genre-bending mindfuck, but so psychologically disturbing I'm including it here. Polanski's Repulsion, too, same category as DLN, same terrifying creepiness. Finally, Woman in Black, the original. Best horror ever made for TV.

Now Alien is amazing, but it's too sci-fi for me to include in the genre. Could be wrong.

More recent: Event Horizon, The Others, Blair Witch and Paranormal Activity (probably the two that affected me the most, fuck the bandwagon critics), The Descent, Rec, 28 Days Later, The Devil's Backbone, and SESSION FUCKING 9, by far the most underrated masterpiece of modern horror.

Honorable mention: The Wicker Man (original, of course), The Ring (remake), The Strangers, Sinister, and The Conjuring. Maybe Stir of Echoes, too.

Probably forgetting a few, but for the most part, these all have something my horror snobbishness requires: They're smart, and they put a premium on atmosphere, suspense, and psychological fuckery.

T.U., you hit on some of my favs.  Have you seen "The Ruins"?

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0963794/

The Ugly

• Getbig V
« Reply #168 on: October 26, 2014, 01:38:26 AM »
T.U., you hit on some of my favs.  Have you seen "The Ruins"?

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0963794/

No, I haven't. Doesn't have a great rating, but the synopsis seems interesting. Aside from the troll comments, I kinda like what the legit-sounding horror guys are saying. Definitely gonna check it out, thanks.

Pumpzilla

• Getbig IV
« Reply #169 on: October 26, 2014, 01:56:07 AM »

More recent: Jacob's Ladder, Event Horizon, The Others, Blair Witch and Paranormal Activity (probably the two that affected me the most, fuck the bandwagon critics), The Descent, Rec, 28 Days Later, The Devil's Backbone, and SESSION FUCKING 9, by far the most underrated masterpiece of modern horror.

Probably forgetting a few, but for the most part, these all have something my horror snobbishness requires: They're smart, and they put a premium on atmosphere, suspense, and psychological fuckery. And they don't try to mix funny with scary, I hate that shit. Not that it can't work (Shaun of the Dead, for instance), but it's a whole other animal.

Session 9 was a pretty damn good movie! I remember first watching it years ago. I read it was filmed at an actual haunted mental asylum.

Jacob's Ladder is another amazing horror. Got it recorded on my DVR.

The Ugly

• Getbig V
« Reply #170 on: October 26, 2014, 02:01:17 AM »

Session 9 was a pretty damn good movie! I remember first watching it years ago. I read it was filmed at an actual haunted mental asylum.

Jacob's Ladder is another amazing horror. Got it recorded on my DVR.

Don't know about haunted, but you're right. Abandoned asylum in Danvers, Mass.

Pumpzilla

• Getbig IV
« Reply #171 on: October 26, 2014, 02:32:36 AM »
Don't know about haunted, but you're right. Abandoned asylum in Danvers, Mass.

Have you seen Night of The Demons?

I'm a big fan of 70 's and 80's horror. Rare for me to like anything modern. With exception of many foreign films.

Alucard

• Getbig IV
« Reply #172 on: October 26, 2014, 04:25:24 AM »

More recent: Jacob's Ladder, Event Horizon, The Others, Blair Witch and Paranormal Activity (probably the two that affected me the most, fuck the bandwagon critics), The Descent, Rec, 28 Days Later, The Devil's Backbone, and SESSION FUCKING 9 for the love of God! By far the most underrated masterpiece of modern horror.

As i said, Paranormal Activity is disturbing, ok maybe boring for the most part, but still... The first Blair Witch was decent also... Did someone watched underground horror Basket Case?

Wolfox

• Getbig V
« Reply #173 on: October 26, 2014, 04:26:50 AM »
A

Bevo

• Getbig V
  • Middle Urinal at Buc-ee’s
« Reply #174 on: October 26, 2014, 04:29:54 AM »

Good taste! I've seen all those

Just watched vhs viral and was a let down  :-\

A creepy low budget slow burn that's pretty good is "an american ghost story" reviews aren't too good but worth the creep factor. Also "bell witch haunting" not the best but imo good entertainment