Author Topic: Help buying protein!!  (Read 8428 times)

pep

• Getbig II
Help buying protein!!
« on: January 01, 2016, 11:52:40 AM »
Hey getbig gym goers,

About to look for a new whey protein to buy - I usually buy myprotein whey protein. however, I'm just wondering if there are any better (same priced) companies that sell decent protein supplements.

I'm also tempted to buy a whey isolate protein as recently iv been having some stomach irritation (probably stress related)  will whey isolate not cause any stomach irritation / is it better than the usual whey?

Any advice on what companies have reliable but well priced products.

I was looking at species nutritions whey isolate but it's far too expensive and shipping fees to the UK are ridiculous
!! 

Any advice is greatly appreciated!!

WOOO

• Getbig V
  • Fuck the mods
Re: Help buying protein!!
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2016, 03:56:06 PM »
Cottage cheese. Chicken. Eggs. Beef. Milk. Etc...

The stuff in jugs cannot compare... Except in terms of how much they need to advertise to convince you that they're better...

pep

• Getbig II
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2016, 05:06:47 PM »
Cottage cheese. Chicken. Eggs. Beef. Milk. Etc...

The stuff in jugs cannot compare... Except in terms of how much they need to advertise to convince you that they're better...

I know that but I can't eat every 2 hours at work, and I need a post workout shake for fast absorption

WOOO

• Getbig V
  • Fuck the mods
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2016, 05:21:32 PM »
I know that but I can't eat every 2 hours at work, and I need a post workout shake for fast absorption

Eating every 2 hours is a recipe for obesity and food company profits.

Think. If you wanted to sell more food. And your food was convenient. How often would you suggest people eat for maximum whatever.

Eat when you have time. Hit your macros and total calories. Keep it as healthy as you can (unprocessed). Anything from a jar, jug, box is likely shit unless it's a whole food like milk...

ritch

• Getbig V
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2016, 09:41:26 PM »
Mr Wooo, if I had to eat whole food protein sources at every meal, I'd lose a lot of weight due to feeling just too full and not digesting the whole food by the next meal.

So in my opinion, the powders are great, give you fast acting protein for post workout, mixes very well in cooked oatmeal, or grind up oats and almonds, add protein powder and there's a solid shake. Add an apple for more carbs/nutrition or whatever.

Just don't believe the claims they make boasting the effectiveness of them. You could get 3 meals, 3 shakes per day and do very well.
?

WOOO

• Getbig V
  • Fuck the mods
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2016, 01:39:13 AM »
I'd suggest you're eating too much protein and not enough fat... whey protein is over priced milk with artificial sweeteners, preservatives, colors, etc. It's a food product. It's not food.

Drink milk

pep

• Getbig II
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2016, 05:39:03 AM »
Mr Wooo, if I had to eat whole food protein sources at every meal, I'd lose a lot of weight due to feeling just too full and not digesting the whole food by the next meal.

So in my opinion, the powders are great, give you fast acting protein for post workout, mixes very well in cooked oatmeal, or grind up oats and almonds, add protein powder and there's a solid shake. Add an apple for more carbs/nutrition or whatever.

Just don't believe the claims they make boasting the effectiveness of them. You could get 3 meals, 3 shakes per day and do very well.

What protein do you use ritch??

ritch

• Getbig V
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2016, 05:48:23 AM »
I'd suggest you're eating too much protein and not enough fat... whey protein is over priced milk with artificial sweeteners, preservatives, colors, etc. It's a food product. It's not food.

Drink milk

Really?
Oh yeah, some stevia is gonna kill you when you take 2-3 shakes a day. That argument holds 0 real life reality, can the hippy talk bud.

To the OP, I like Kaizen as I get it at costco for a good price or Optimum which sucks as they charge so much.

But thanks for the marcro tip Woo, I guess, LOL!!!
?

WOOO

• Getbig V
  • Fuck the mods
« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2016, 06:13:08 AM »
Really?
Oh yeah, some stevia is gonna kill you when you take 2-3 shakes a day. That argument holds 0 real life reality, can the hippy talk bud.

To the OP, I like Kaizen as I get it at costco for a good price or Optimum which sucks as they charge so much.

But thanks for the marcro tip Woo, I guess, LOL!!!

I'm not trolling.

For breakfast please switch to Quaker Oats granola bars instead of steel cut oats.

That's whey powder compared to milk.

njflex

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • HEY PAISAN
« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2016, 08:05:18 AM »
dynamatize under 40 dollars for 4 lbs good tasting ones as well .

pep

• Getbig II
« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2016, 10:08:38 AM »
Hmm I'm thinking thinking of getting 100% gold standard whey.
Not too overly priced and people say it doesn't cause stomach issues like bloating etc

WOOO

• Getbig V
  • Fuck the mods
« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2016, 12:05:05 PM »
Hmm I'm thinking thinking of getting 100% gold standard whey.
Not too overly priced and people say it doesn't cause stomach issues like bloating etc

It's apparently not too bad for heavy metal contamination...

http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/2012/04/protein-drinks/index.htm

ritch

• Getbig V
« Reply #12 on: January 03, 2016, 12:05:49 PM »

It's apparently not too bad for heavy metal contamination...

http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/2012/04/protein-drinks/index.htm

Harmul to humans?

I think not.
?

WOOO

• Getbig V
  • Fuck the mods
« Reply #13 on: January 03, 2016, 12:45:37 PM »
Harmul to humans?

I think not.

Lead and other such contaminants have a cumulative detrimental effect on human health.

ritch

• Getbig V
« Reply #14 on: January 03, 2016, 03:01:38 PM »

Lead and other such contaminants have a cumulative detrimental effect on human health.

What about the amounts from what you posted? I'm thinking it's very doubful. And that was one batch tested.

I'd like to see a company, any company that was perfect for the entire time it existed.

The second something kinda negative happens in the supplement industry people are very quick to make statements that are kinda overblown as you're doing here.

Show me the dead bodies of anyone who ever suffered sides from a protein powder.

C'mon...
?

WOOO

• Getbig V
  • Fuck the mods
« Reply #15 on: January 03, 2016, 05:51:18 PM »
It would be impossible to show direct causation... But smoking and lung cancer also fall into that boat. While we accept the correlation between the two we have yet to observe the moment when a puff from a cigarette triggers cancer cell genesis.

This is not evidence of course. My point is why not avoid as much risk as is reasonably possible.

I'm a firm believer that the supplement industry is a massive scam being perpetrated on the public.

iwantmass

• Getbig III
« Reply #16 on: January 04, 2016, 03:38:40 PM »
Dymatize iso 100 is a good choice in whey protein.  It tastes great and mixes easily.  Allmax makes a product called hexapro that is a good blended protein.  Hexapro does conta in some carbs and fat.  

Chicken, beef, and eggs are no better than a quality protein powder.  They key word there is quality.   Walmart and Costco do not sell quality protein.  Their protein is loaded with cheap fillers. The 2 I mentioned are quality products.  Hexapro actually has a complete amino acid profile.

People that say whole foods are better than powders are just repeating what someone else has told them.  They've never actually tried supplementing powder in place of their other protein sources.  This argument comes up here and there on Pro muscle, and a few of the pros there chime in on their protein consumption.  I think a fella there by the name of phidias claims to take up to 20 lbs of powder a week and I'll wager he looks better than most on this board

WOOO

• Getbig V
  • Fuck the mods
« Reply #17 on: January 04, 2016, 04:58:45 PM »
Dymatize iso 100 is a good choice in whey protein.  It tastes great and mixes easily.  Allmax makes a product called hexapro that is a good blended protein.  Hexapro does conta in some carbs and fat.  

Chicken, beef, and eggs are no better than a quality protein powder.  They key word there is quality.   Walmart and Costco do not sell quality protein.  Their protein is loaded with cheap fillers. The 2 I mentioned are quality products.  Hexapro actually has a complete amino acid profile.

People that say whole foods are better than powders are just repeating what someone else has told them.  They've never actually tried supplementing powder in place of their other protein sources.  This argument comes up here and there on Pro muscle, and a few of the pros there chime in on their protein consumption.  I think a fella there by the name of phidias claims to take up to 20 lbs of powder a week and I'll wager he looks better than most on this board

The marketers have got you hooked

http://www.webmd.com/vitamins-and-supplements/lifestyle-guide-11/protein-powder?page=1

iwantmass

• Getbig III
« Reply #18 on: January 04, 2016, 05:53:30 PM »

The marketers have got you hooked

http://www.webmd.com/vitamins-and-supplements/lifestyle-guide-11/protein-powder?page=1

That article says nothing about them being worthless. It contends that you are already likely getting enough from normal food intake and the amounts of protein it recommends don't apply to bodybuiders.  If we replace 1 gram of chicken protein with 1 gram of quality powder protein, we accomplish the same goal.  Your article, that you didn't read, states it would be a waste to add powders in addition to regular food.  I'm talking about using it in the place of regular food

Some of us have actually tried them and replaced actual food in real world circumstances and aren't just parroting what someone else told us.  I bet you think bench is for mid chest, decline for lower, and incline for upper too.  If you don't need supplement, that is fine.  But there are days I would rather drink 2 scoops of protein in 3 seconds and have it accomplish just as much as 10 ounces of bland chicken breast that takes minutes to consume

WOOO

• Getbig V
  • Fuck the mods
« Reply #19 on: January 05, 2016, 04:04:15 AM »
That article says nothing about them being worthless. It contends that you are already likely getting enough from normal food intake and the amounts of protein it recommends don't apply to bodybuiders.  If we replace 1 gram of chicken protein with 1 gram of quality powder protein, we accomplish the same goal.  Your article, that you didn't read, states it would be a waste to add powders in addition to regular food.  I'm talking about using it in the place of regular food

Some of us have actually tried them and replaced actual food in real world circumstances and aren't just parroting what someone else told us.  I bet you think bench is for mid chest, decline for lower, and incline for upper too.  If you don't need supplement, that is fine.  But there are days I would rather drink 2 scoops of protein in 3 seconds and have it accomplish just as much as 10 ounces of bland chicken breast that takes minutes to consume

There is so much more to food than 1 macro.

Your notion of convenience could be applied to fast food. Just eat at McDonald's daily. Eat the correct calories and macros.

You'll be malnourished in a matter of months.

pep

• Getbig II
« Reply #20 on: January 05, 2016, 02:16:37 PM »
Woo... I think you have gone off the subject I just want to know a cheap protein supplement to buy that won't give me gas or runs..?
Is myprotein.com a decent company to buy whey from?

ritch

• Getbig V
« Reply #21 on: January 05, 2016, 02:18:21 PM »
Woo... I think you have gone off the subject I just want to know a cheap protein supplement to buy that won't give me gas or runs..?
Is myprotein.com a decent company to buy whey from?

I didn't even read his posts, he's taking on the role of "protein troll for 2016" whatever....

Use optimum, it was your "gut choice" and a good one.
?

iwantmass

• Getbig III
« Reply #22 on: January 05, 2016, 03:20:45 PM »

There is so much more to food than 1 macro.

Your notion of convenience could be applied to fast food. Just eat at McDonald's daily. Eat the correct calories and macros.

You'll be malnourished in a matter of months.

Who said protein powder would be all there is to the meal?  1 1/2 scoops protein, 2.servings of fruit or veggies, and a tablespoon of olive oil will work just fine for.a quick meal replacement. 

Montague

• Getbig V
  • The black degelation does not know this nig - V.G.
« Reply #23 on: January 05, 2016, 04:31:54 PM »
dynamatize under 40 dollars for 4 lbs good tasting ones as well .

Dymatize Iso-100 is popular with several of my friends. They turned me onto it, and I like it even better than what Costello used to put out when they owned ON & ABB. In fact, my buddy - who's been training seriously for about 25 years and is built like a silverback - swears he feels stronger on it. And, this is from somebody who uses gear.

But, be warned:
I also had a BAD experience with Dymatize, and I was not alone. I think it was their Elite Fusion blend I tried several years ago, and it gave me the worst gastric upset I've ever gotten from any supplement.

Soul Crusher and I used to joke about how much toilet paper we were buying and using drinking that stuff!! I think that was when I switched to Beverly.

Henda

• Getbig V
« Reply #24 on: January 06, 2016, 01:41:17 AM »
used my protein impact whey and within minutes of drinking it makes me feel like utter shit.