Author Topic: A test of Getbigger's knowledge of the resistance curve: Single dumbbell lateral  (Read 11916 times)

pellius

• Getbig V
  • RIP Keith Jones aka OnlyMe/NoWorries. 1/10/2011
So i tested this today while doing shoulders and triceps.

To me, while doing a DB lateral raise with my right hand, leaning to the "right" gave a better feel and contraction.

Leaning to the left made it feel a little more difficult at the beginning, but didn't seem to hit the delt the same way.

Just my 2 CC's.

You feel it more because it is a movement that provides the greatest resistance in that contracted position. It's that contraction you feel but does it train the muscle optimally? Unlike Bhanks, I never trust my "feelings" in anything in life. I trust reason. An analogy would be the leg extension versus the squat. You can really feel those quads after a brutal set of full contraction leg extensions, there have been times when I even cramped up. With squats, you can never achieve resistance in the fully extended position. But do you think you can optimally develop your quads doing just leg extensions as you would doing squat type movements?

pellius

• Getbig V
I have to admit I don't really understand this one, Pellius my friend.   :(

Just use a cable or watch the Brignole interview that Joswift posted. I kept nodding with enthusiastic approval as I listened to a thinking person explains the ins and outs of what you're doing. I also learned something that I didn't consider until Brignole explained it. I always did the movement with the cable wheel positioned at the very bottom. But if you position it so that it is in line with your hand in the bottom position hanging at your side, though I think it's better to be one notch lower, you even more simulate the strength curve of your side delt. Greatest resistance at the start of the movement when you are at your strongest, and less as you progress through the movement as your leverage advantage decreases. I currently compensate by helping myself with my other hand, sort of like force reps except I would have to do it with every rep, to compensate as I start to generate less force as leverage example diminishes but Brignole's way is superior. I am going to look that guy up and hopefully learn something.
He's my kind of person.

As an aside, I live in Cali at the time when Brignole was competing. When I saw him in person walking into the gym in regular clothes I was very unimpressed. He had a bit of a rep back then so my expectations were a bit high. I thought to myself that it doesn't look like even lifted. When he stripped down for the photoshoot my eyes just dropped! I never wanted to be a big bulky bber being stared at everywhere I went, especially now when the first thing people think is steroids, but when I saw Brignole I thought that is the way I want to look.

pellius

• Getbig V
I keep it real simple these days. I do one tricep exercise following chest. Recently it’s been rope push downs. As I’ve said, the elbows don’t like the barbell and dumbbell extensions. I’ll probably go back to them trying  light weight 20 rep sets.

That's because your hands and wrist are free and turn into the movement naturally. When you use a straight bar you are twisting your wrist and elbows in the top position. It's fine when you are young but it starts to takes it's toll as the years and decades wear on.

pellius

• Getbig V
Pellius u stupid fuck lie down on the floor on your back now take the two dumbells reaching the opposing sholder thank me later fagget

Why would I take the advice of a fat, drunken slob whose brain has been fried by drugs and whose speech is slurred that thinks eating grass is the key to good health?

pellius

• Getbig V
Obviously tricep kickbacks are not your power movement for growth just like side laterals are not for delts. Both these movements are finishing movements to get the pump contraction not your power growth movements neither should be done heavy anyway as you just need light weight to squeeze at the end of the movement neither is supposed to be a heavy power growth movement. These are both finishers not solo exercises

"Finishers?" LOL. "Side laterals are not for delts?" God are you dumb. Go back to stuffing your face and posing in the front of the mirror waiting for another check from your mom. Adults are talking here.

Coach is Back!

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • It’s All Bullshit

Marty Champions

• Getbig V
Why would I take the advice of a fat, drunken slob whose brain has been fried by drugs and whose speech is slurred that thinks eating grass is the key to good health?
try it with a 25 pound dumbells it takes less than 60 seconds. I choose to help those who are ill like yourself because you are so slow to realize how you would rather just chat with others is what youre really hoping to acheive
A

bhank

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • 2024 NPC Charlotte Cup Champion
You feel it more because it is a movement that provides the greatest resistance in that contracted position. It's that contraction you feel but does it train the muscle optimally? Unlike Bhanks, I never trust my "feelings" in anything in life. I trust reason. An analogy would be the leg extension versus the squat. You can really feel those quads after a brutal set of full contraction leg extensions, there have been times when I even cramped up. With squats, you can never achieve resistance in the fully extended position. But do you think you can optimally develop your quads doing just leg extensions as you would doing squat type movements?

To be fair I have seen dudes squatting a ton with no leg development. Meanwhile I have seen a girl who only did leg extensions for post surgical rehab therapy with separation and teardrop development in her quads

bhank

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
"Finishers?" LOL. "Side laterals are not for delts?" God are you dumb. Go back to stuffing your face and posing in the front of the mirror waiting for another check from your mom. Adults are talking here.

Meanwhile my delts are so overdeveloped I don't even train them and that is after bilateral shoulder repairs. They are not the power movement not the heavy movement the shoulder press is your heavy movement that involves all 3 heads. The side lateral is to push blood into the muscle after the power movement. You don't need more than 25lbs on side laterals. Just like the kickback is at the end to squeeze the lockout and push blood in it is not the power press movement for triceps again you only need about 25lbs for kickbacks it is about the lockout at the top and the side raise is about blood pump not micro tearing power

AbrahamG

• Getbig V
  • Team Pfizer
Meanwhile my delts are so overdeveloped I don't even train them and that is after bilateral shoulder repairs. They are not the power movement not the heavy movement the shoulder press is your heavy movement that involves all 3 heads. The side lateral is to push blood into the muscle after the power movement. You don't need more than 25lbs on side laterals. Just like the kickback is at the end to squeeze the lockout and push blood in it is not the power press movement for triceps again you only need about 25lbs for kickbacks it is about the lockout at the top and the side raise is about blood pump not micro tearing power

For clarity, you did NOT mean to say that side laterals don't work the delts, right?

Van_Bilderass

• Getbig V
  • "Don't Try"
I have a tricep movement that I rarely see done but I really like it. You set up in a smith machine like you're doing behind the neck presses, only you make it a tricep move by taking a very close grip, elbows straight out. Tremendous "anabolic stretch" at the bottom   :D

AbrahamG

• Getbig V
  • Team Pfizer
I have a tricep movement that I rarely see done but I really like it. You set up in a smith machine like you're doing behind the neck presses, only you make it a tricep move by taking a very close grip, elbows straight out. Tremendous "anabolic stretch" at the bottom   :D

Like a close grip behind the neck press?

pellius

• Getbig V
Always thought the kickback was useless and never did but was reading this the other day so maybe some use to it?

I read a similar study, too. They measure at the contracted position which is at it's greatest when your arm is fully extended. More so than any other free weight tricep movement. Problem is that there is zero tension in the beginning. Many believe, and there are studies to back it up, that it is getting that stretch that is causing the muscle damage and consequently, muscle hypertrophy. That may explain why bbers get good results using such sloppy form. Look at Ronnie as he throws up the weight doing t-bar rows. Tremendous stress and resistance at the bottom of the movement and then very little contraction as momentum takes over.

pellius

• Getbig V
https://www.instagram.com/p/B6UYxAvJ711/?utm_medium=copy_link

When I first looked at that I rolled my eyes but under closer examination, I see that there is continuous and more even tension throughout the movement. It does seem like a lot of unnecessary trouble having to drag a bench into position and then properly position your body on the bench. But
you are leaning on the proper side -- the right side when training your left deltoid.

Another suggestion would to use those "ankle straps" instead of a handle. Ideally, you always want the resistance to be directly applied on the same side to the muscle being trained. For example, with the Nautilus side delt machine,  the resistance is applied directly to the humerus, the bone the deltoid raises. With a handle, the resistance first has to pass through the fingers, the weakest link in that movement. With a strap, the resistance is applied directly to the back of the wrist, the same side as the side delt. You will find that you can use more weight and use it more comfortably.

pellius

• Getbig V
try it with a 25 pound dumbells it takes less than 60 seconds. I choose to help those who are ill like yourself because you are so slow to realize how you would rather just chat with others is what youre really hoping to acheive

I would rather chat with others? Brah, I train far more, far harder, and far longer than you have. Why don't you take your own advice and put the beer and weed down as well as dispensing constant advice nobody asked for or want and start working out again and lose all that excess flab.

Before you can even think about "helping others" help yourself first. The only reason you are constantly giving diet and training is advice is not because you care and want to help people. You just want to feel better about yourself and think it puts you above others telling people what they should do. Remember, you were the one that posted the vid of you hitting the heavy bag. You are almost at Shizzo level. You just look like a drunken
fat slob -- a living example of Hill Billy White trash.

pellius

• Getbig V
To be fair I have seen dudes squatting a ton with no leg development. Meanwhile I have seen a girl who only did leg extensions for post surgical rehab therapy with separation and teardrop development in her quads

And your point is? When I was living in Inglewood, Ca. I use to see nigs on the basketball court more ripped and muscular than you who lived off  grape juice and Popeye's chicken and the only workout they do is running from the cops.

AbrahamG

• Getbig V
  • Team Pfizer
I would rather chat with others? Brah, I train far more, far harder, and far longer than you have. Why don't you take your own advice and put the beer and weed down as well as dispensing constant advice nobody asked for or want and start working out again and lose all that excess flab.

Before you can even think about "helping others" help yourself first. The only reason you are constantly giving diet and training is advice is not because you care and want to help people. You just want to feel better about yourself and think it puts you above others telling people what they should do. Remember, you were the one that posted the vid of you hitting the heavy bag. You are almost at Shizzo level. You just look like a drunken

Like Shizzo before him, this story (if it hasn't happened already) ends with a cock down his throat.

pellius

• Getbig V

The "anabolic stretch" is Nirvana to a bber.

IroNat

• Getbig V
  • “Always do what you are afraid to do.” - Emerson
The tricep kickback with dumbbell and the plate loaded leg extension are very similar.

Both are isolation movements, both have no load at the bottom of the movement, and both work in the same plane.

The knee and the elbow are similar in function.

Marty Champions

• Getbig V

meltdown lol you lonley asswipe
A

bhank

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
For clarity, you did NOT mean to say that side laterals don't work the delts, right?

I said they are not the power movement that work the delts they are a finishing pump movement not the heavy pressing movement

Van_Bilderass

• Getbig V
  • "Don't Try"
Like a close grip behind the neck press?

Yes, like this.

Dokey111

• Getbig V
We are not talking about that.

But I think that is why that technique is used.  Leaning to the left allows a greater stretch at the bottom of the movement.

residue

• Getbig V
  • Adonis 3:16
Yes, like this.
at that point why not just do a jm press?

Van_Bilderass

• Getbig V
  • "Don't Try"
at that point why not just do a jm press?

You could, and like some argued it doesn't hugely matter which exercise you choose. But every exercise feels a bit different, I don't know of any other movement that stretches the triceps as much - the stretch feels mostly on the lower triceps though. I'm sure many would hate this exercise but for me it feels really stable and efficient for overloading.

I also have a bit of incline on my bench even though I go begind the neck.