Author Topic: Pentagon Monitoring Peace Activists' E-Mails  (Read 1719 times)

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
Pentagon Monitoring Peace Activists' E-Mails
« on: October 20, 2006, 11:45:25 AM »
Pentagon Monitoring Peace Activists' E-Mails

Matthew Rothschild, The Progressive. | October 19 2006

More information keeps coming out, thanks to the ACLU, about the Bush Administration's equation of protest with terrorism -- and the snooping it then engages in.

Homeland Security is monitoring peace groups and even peering at their e-mails. "This information is being provided only to alert commanders and staff to potential terrorist activity or apprise them of other force protection issues."

It then shares that information with Joint Terrorism Task Forces, which include the FBI and state and local law enforcement, as well as with the Pentagon's notorious Talon (Threat and Local Observation Notice) program.

For instance, an April 12, 2005, Talon document, just released by the ACLU, shows that the Pentagon was concerned about "suspicious activity" at an upcoming event sponsored by the Broward Anti-War Coalition in Florida.

This peace group, according to the document, was planning -- hold your breath here -- "guerrilla theater and other forms of subversive propaganda" at the Fort Lauderdale Air and Sea Show.

The source of the information was the Miami-Dade Police Department, and members of Army Recruiting and the Miami Joint Terrorism Task Force were briefed on it, the document states.

Another Talon document, dated March 1, 2005, released by the ACLU, reveals that Homeland Security agents are monitoring e-mails of such scary groups as the Quakers.

"The source received an e-mail on 25 Feb 05, subject: upcoming peace/anti-war events. The e-mail was from the American Friends Service Committee (AFSC) in Northeast Ohio," the document states. And that source is identified as "a special agent of the Federal Protective Service, US Department of Homeland Security." The document adds, "Source is reliable."

The Joint Terrorism Task Force of Dayton, Ohio, was briefed on this one.

The planned activity of the Quakers that so concerned the Pentagon, Homeland Security, and the Joint Terrorism Task Force was this: "On 19 Mar 05, there will be a 'Stop the War NOW!' rally in commemoration of the second anniversary of the U.S. Invasion/Occupation of Iraq. The Akron rally will have a march and reading of names of war dead. ... The Akron march begins at noon and goes past a local military recruiting station and the FBI office. The march will end at the Federal Building in Akron, for a rally, followed by reading of names of U.S. and Iraqi war dead."

A third Talon document, dated March 7, 2005, also relies on an e-mail from the Quakers. "Source received an e-mail from the American Friends Service Committee" about "actions at military recruitment offices with the goals to include: raising awareness, education, visibility." The source is again identified as "a special agent of the Federal Protective Service, U.S. Department of Homeland Security. Source is reliable."

All three Talon documents state at the top: "This information is being provided only to alert commanders and staff to potential terrorist activity or apprise them of other force protection issues."

"Potential terrorist activity." Isn't that delightful?

Word to the wise: If you're a peace activist, the government may be watching you and reading your e-mails.

Something just to keep in mind.

JOHN MATRIX

• Getbig V
  • the Media is the Problem
Re: Pentagon Monitoring Peace Activists' E-Mails
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2006, 11:56:33 AM »
the way things are going its only a matter of time before 'minority report' becomes real

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2006, 12:00:11 PM »
the way things are going its only a matter of time before 'minority report' becomes real

hahaha and you'll still have douchebags here telling you just why it's a super idea for the govt to monitor groups calling for law enforcement, instead of terrorists calling for jihad.

Interesting that they're killing 4 or 5 US soldiers a day, and instead of putting these resources into flushing out those iraqis, we're putting intel resources into homegrown movie showings.

What do you fear more - Iraqis who have killed our soldiers and will keep doing so until killed... or, "guerrilla theater and other forms of subversive propaganda"?

What a joke.

Camel Jockey

• Getbig V
  • Mel Gibson and Bob Sly World Domination
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2006, 12:05:49 PM »
hahaha and you'll still have douchebags here telling you just why it's a super idea for the govt to monitor groups calling for law enforcement, instead of terrorists calling for jihad.

Interesting that they're killing 4 or 5 US soldiers a day, and instead of putting these resources into flushing out those iraqis, we're putting intel resources into homegrown movie showings.

What do you fear more - Iraqis who have killed our soldiers and will keep doing so until killed... or, "guerrilla theater and other forms of subversive propaganda"?

What a joke.

Mr. I or anyone who else supports shit like this will defend it by calling you a liberal and a friend to the terrorists.

Minority Report was like Tom Cruise's last good movie.

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2006, 12:11:56 PM »
See, I would happily cap real terrorists all day long for a check.  Like, pay me $5.15 an hour plus benefits and I'd love to drop the hammer on jihadists and killers in iraq.  So I really hope I don't get labeled as a friend to terrorists.  I think we shoulda killed OBL years ago instead of leaving the northern route unguarded and unbombed so he could leave tora bora.

So I"m as bloodthirsty as the next guy when it comes to justice.  I just can't stand to see American soldiers die for no reason. "Liberating the iraqis" is pure bunk, as they have a new govt they elected and they are now free.  "WMD" is over, no matter how real it ever was.  All we are doing now is trying to put down an uprising that is caused by our presence.  it's like edward scissorhands trying to stitch up a cut on someone.  No matter how well he fixes one wound, he causes ten more while doing it.

Camel Jockey

• Getbig V
  • Mel Gibson and Bob Sly World Domination
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2006, 12:21:16 PM »
Basically they can lable anyone a terrorist and put him away. It puzzles that basic human rights are being stripped away slowly and most of the public isn't in uproar over it.   ???

If you think for a fucking second that the new legislation doesn't apply to an average American, then you are fucking delusional. They don't need any reason, nor do they have to give anyone an explationation for their actions. Basically, they may not like what you have to say or your are sheding light on a topic they don't want to you, and they could just haul you off to some secret prison and there's not a damn thing anyone can do about it.

It seems the government is doing this in baby steps. It wouldn't surprise me if they start pushing more and more legislation like this.

Mr. Intenseone

« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2006, 01:06:31 PM »
If people have nothing to hide, it shouldn't bother them.........I have nothing to hide, do you?

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2006, 01:11:52 PM »
What if the govt wanted a video camera in your living room.  If you have nothing to hide, would you mind it?

Hugo Chavez

• Getbig V
« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2006, 01:35:39 PM »
If people have nothing to hide, it shouldn't bother them.........I have nothing to hide, do you?
OH I HAD TO FUCKING HEAR IT FOR MYSELF, THE STANDARD SHEEPLE LINE.  Oh you are the GODS DUMBEST FUCKER ON PLANET EARTH... I MEAN FUKING REALLY STUPID MAN....

Cavalier22

• Getbig IV
  • Citizens! The Fatherland is in Danger
« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2006, 01:36:44 PM »
everyone should know e-mail is not private
Valhalla awaits.

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #10 on: October 20, 2006, 01:40:00 PM »
the problem is, once you give an inch, they will take a mile.  And they will.

If you're okay with them monitoring email, they're also going to bug homes and tap phones.  Nothing to hide?  Okay.  "general safety" cameras in all living rooms and hallways of your home.  Cool?  Alright.  bathroom and bedroom cams also.   What's next?

SinCitysmallGUY

• Getbig V
  • FIST-ta-CUFF Radio
« Reply #11 on: October 20, 2006, 01:50:33 PM »
Shit i hope the Gov't reads this.... Suck my dick!!!!! Trying to take away our rights is wrong... ANd i hope every other american steps up and lets you idiots in the house of reps. the Judiciary branch, The senate, All the people up on the hill that we will not take this bullshit... I'm sure alot of people will but for how much longer... I myself am tired of all hte bullshit....

Sincerly

a pissed off citizen and EX-SERVICEMAN

P.S. George W. Suck my fucking dick you worhtless exscuse for a president..... and you still havent finished your dad's war.... You never will

Hugo Chavez

• Getbig V
« Reply #12 on: October 20, 2006, 01:56:32 PM »
Pretty confident the information obtained WATCHING THE PEOPLE won't be used wrongfully huh... chances of that happening---ZERO... HOW WILL YOU FEEL MR stupId. if the watchers are ever the radical left or radical right or what's the power structure gong to be in 25 years.  Or look at the system that's in place for when some stupid wacky congress/president decides to relinquish our sovereignty to a global or regional government... IT'S NOT ABOUT ME, NOT ABOUT IF I'M DOING SOMETHING WRONG I SHOULDN'T WORRY, IT'S ABOUT WAY FUCKCING MORE THAN THAT!!!  You have a kid you supposedly give a shit about... What, just as long as you're here, then fuck him and his kids right?  Because the system is being put in place now that ONLY WORKS with HONEST ACTUAL RIGHTOUS PEOPLE who really care about America behind it.  It's not like there are a lot of people running about the earth that fit that description and based on mankind's past and the type of governments that our founding fathers worked so hard to created out of a history that was full of nothing but tyranny, we have a LOT at stake to LOSE.  Here we are today... a quick couple hundred years after the creation of the best government history has ever witnessed, and that's all it took to have sheeple running around saying this shit you just said and repeating it over and over.... FOOL...

Hugo Chavez

• Getbig V
« Reply #13 on: October 20, 2006, 07:54:16 PM »
So why do you always run from a debate I... Owned to much by just about everyone you argue with :D

JOHN MATRIX

• Getbig V
  • the Media is the Problem
« Reply #14 on: October 20, 2006, 10:28:42 PM »
they are already putting cameras all over cities just to monitor everything that goes on...they have them on stoplights to film people if they run the light(i make it a point to give these the bird everytime i pass) and i read a while back they were considering a program in which satellites monitor the speed of cars on highways and if anyone went over the speed limit it at any time it would get your plates and send you a citation in the mail >:(

on the local news yesterday was the story of how local cops were 'monitoring' peoples' Myspace actions...they were reading all the PM's as well...some underage kids were going to have a hotel party...when the kids got there the cops were waiting for them and they made a big scene and raided the party and gave all the kids tickets and legal hell. tell me how fucked up that is.