Getbig Main Boards > Gossip & Opinions

What Got You Into Bodybuilding?

(1/12) > >>

Palumboism:
What was it that caused you to start bodybuilding?

For me, it was gymnastics.  I started gymnastics when I was young and excelled at trampoline.  I became so good I they transferred me to a more advanced gym.  I followed Olympic gymnastics and was always impressed by the build of the gymnasts.  Around this time I saw the movie Rocky on television and my parents gave me an old weight set my grandfather had.  Training arms was my specialty and one of my friends at the time had some incredible peaked biceps which became my target. 

In junior high I was always good at the presidential physical fitness challenge which included how many pushups, sit ups, and pull ups you could do.  That junior high also had a Steve Reeves Universal multi-station machine like the one shown below.  It had a leg press, which is not shown in the picture.  This started my fondness for machine training. 

My Sophomore year of high school I ran cross country, which is a three mile race.  While cross country runners may not have upper body development, their legs are usually great.  Our coach would have us run hills repeatedly the day before a race.  Our team didn't do so well on the race the next day, but we excelled later because of it.  All the hot soccer girls would run cross country too and the male and female teams were combined.  My friend was into Lora baby and I was into Heather a cute blonde.

Dave Palumbo was also a runner before he started bodybuilding and he was known for his legs.  I can still stretch my legs without even thinking about it and my mind muscle connection with my legs comes from running. 

Skip to my senior year in high school and I got a membership to a gym which I went to five days a week after school.  I was probably over training out of ignorance of recovery time.

What's your story?

BB:
I was a fat kid. Not crazy fat, but a 36-38" waist at #200 or so. Tried to thin out with regular sports and aerobics, but couldn't find anything I liked doing. One day I was over at a friends house and started looking through some mags he had laying around (they were mostly MM2ks), borrowed a few, and the rest is history.

Gym-Rat:
Kid brought in Franco's book in 7th grade (1978), went home and starting lifting like crazy (Dad had weights).
The bicep on the cover blew my mind.

Haven't stopped training since...  :D

King Shizzo:
It was probably Van Damme, Arnold, and Sly.

If you were the right age, those action heroes really set the stage for what teens wanted to look like.

Bevo:

--- Quote from: King Shizzo on July 02, 2022, 08:17:30 AM ---It was probably Van Damme, Arnold, and Sly.

If you were the right age, those action heroes really set the stage for what teens wanted to look like.

--- End quote ---

Have you gotten there yet with that

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version