Author Topic: Greek Style Yogurt  (Read 27188 times)

hangclean

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
Re: Greek Style Yogurt
« Reply #25 on: September 22, 2009, 11:09:08 PM »
just picked up Fage yogurt from Trader Joe's, as well as Kefir milk. I gotta say, don't care for either much, especially the kefir milk. My GF loves it though. She says they serve the milk @ Turkish and Greek restaurants. She likes it with salt...stirs it in n drinks it. Idk, lol. I can't. Glad I bought the yogurt with the honey. Helps tons!
You are talking about Ayran, not Kefir.  Ayran is yogurt with sparkling water and a little salt.  Surprisingly very refreshing.

Princess L

• Getbig V
  • I stop for turtles
« Reply #26 on: September 26, 2009, 07:46:08 AM »
If you're looking for a less expensive alternative to all the varieties mentioned above DON'T get this one  :-X :-X :-X

It doesn't even come close in taste, texture, protein content.

It's downright NASTY  :-X :-X :-X
:

skinnydude1

• Getbig I
« Reply #27 on: September 26, 2009, 08:25:10 AM »
Aww too bad our supermarket has limited stocks. I cannot find greek yogurt there which is a bummer.

Princess L

• Getbig V
  • I stop for turtles
« Reply #28 on: September 26, 2009, 08:55:30 AM »
Aww too bad our supermarket has limited stocks. I cannot find greek yogurt there which is a bummer.

Try Wal-Mart, Sam's or Costco
:

MuscleMcMannus

• Getbig V
« Reply #29 on: September 27, 2009, 02:18:53 AM »
If you're looking for a less expensive alternative to all the varieties mentioned above DON'T get this one  :-X :-X :-X

It's downright NASTY  :-X :-X :-X

Haha you're fucking nuts!  The honey flavored is the BEST greek yogurt I've ever tasted and I've TASTED IT ALL!  I don't know about the other flavors but the honey flavored is hands down the best greek yogurt I've ever had.  Their Ice Cream is even better!

Princess L

• Getbig V
  • I stop for turtles
« Reply #30 on: September 27, 2009, 05:20:35 PM »
Haha you're fucking nuts!  The honey flavored is the BEST greek yogurt I've ever tasted and I've TASTED IT ALL!  I don't know about the other flavors but the honey flavored is hands down the best greek yogurt I've ever had.  Their Ice Cream is even better!

I am comparing 0% fat to 0% fat PLAIN. 8 oz Chobani 0% plain = 140 cals, 0g fat, 9g carb and 23g protein.
6 oz Greek Gods HONEY = 250 calories, 14g fat, 23g carb, 22g sugar, and 6g protein. No comparison IMO.
Greek Gods label claims this is "Greek style" yogurt and that Greek yogurt is "a thick and creamy yogurt, full of body and rich in taste." However, despite the strong implication, this is not Greek style strained yogurt ~ it's regular yogurt with  extra thickeners. In other words, it's not even as good as a good quality American-style yogurt. If you have any doubts, compare the nutritional content since strained yogurt has more liquid taken out, the nutrients are more concentrated. Fage Total 0% has about 15 grams of protein per six ounces; Greek Gods 0% plain has 6 grams of protein per six ounces ~ less than half as much. Furthermore, the extra pectin doesn't make it "creamy", it makes it grainy and lumpy.  :-X All this could be forgiven IF it tasted good, but it doesn't.
:

Grape Ape

• Getbig V
  • SC è un asino
« Reply #31 on: September 28, 2009, 10:14:45 AM »
 I don't care for any of the pre-flavored ones.   They all have an artificial taste/aftertaste to them.

Agreed.  I was surprised how awful the flavored ones were.  The only one that was OK was the Honey flavored one from Chobani.

I only buy it when it goes down to $1 each, which is about every third week or so.  Never even thought about Trader Joes, though.  Is it cheaper than that?
Y

MuscleMcMannus

• Getbig V
« Reply #32 on: September 28, 2009, 10:19:52 AM »
I am comparing 0% fat to 0% fat PLAIN. 8 oz Chobani 0% plain = 140 cals, 0g fat, 9g carb and 23g protein.
6 oz Greek Gods HONEY = 250 calories, 14g fat, 23g carb, 22g sugar, and 6g protein. No comparison IMO.
Greek Gods label claims this is "Greek style" yogurt and that Greek yogurt is "a thick and creamy yogurt, full of body and rich in taste." However, despite the strong implication, this is not Greek style strained yogurt ~ it's regular yogurt with  extra thickeners. In other words, it's not even as good as a good quality American-style yogurt. If you have any doubts, compare the nutritional content since strained yogurt has more liquid taken out, the nutrients are more concentrated. Fage Total 0% has about 15 grams of protein per six ounces; Greek Gods 0% plain has 6 grams of protein per six ounces ~ less than half as much. Furthermore, the extra pectin doesn't make it "creamy", it makes it grainy and lumpy.  :-X All this could be forgiven IF it tasted good, but it doesn't.

LOL that's your opinion.  I've tasted just about every brand of yogurt available.  All the grocery store brands i.e. Dannon, Yoplait, generics, Mountain High, Stoneybrook farms, yadda yadda.  And just about every greek brand as well.  Also tons of goat milk yogurt.  My favorite is by far Greek Gods Honey!!!!!!!!!!!! YUM YUM!  :)

Princess L

• Getbig V
  • I stop for turtles
« Reply #33 on: September 28, 2009, 11:10:39 AM »
Agreed.  I was surprised how awful the flavored ones were.  The only one that was OK was the Honey flavored one from Chobani.

I only buy it when it goes down to $1 each, which is about every third week or so.  Never even thought about Trader Joes, though.  Is it cheaper than that?

If you're getting 6 ounce cups for a buck, then that's a better deal than the Trader Joe's brand at 2.99 for 16 ounces.  Brown Cow has a "buy 2 get one free" coupon on their lids, which brings the price of their 5.3 ounce cups down to .79
:

Grape Ape

• Getbig V
  • SC è un asino
« Reply #34 on: September 28, 2009, 01:25:32 PM »
If you're getting 6 ounce cups for a buck, then that's a better deal than the Trader Joe's brand at 2.99 for 16 ounces.  Brown Cow has a "buy 2 get one free" coupon on their lids, which brings the price of their 5.3 ounce cups down to .79

Thanks.

My supermarket has the Chobani for 1.25 for 6 oz normally.  Even when it goes down to a buck, it's still double the price of regular yogurt.  I'm waiting for Target/Costco to get more supply.  Actually, Costco has it, but it's the multi-flavor packaging, not plain.
Y

Princess L

• Getbig V
  • I stop for turtles
« Reply #35 on: September 28, 2009, 03:08:00 PM »
Thanks.

My supermarket has the Chobani for 1.25 for 6 oz normally.  Even when it goes down to a buck, it's still double the price of regular yogurt.  

$1.25 sounds like a great deal to me  ;D since they're 1.79 here :o  Try not to compare it to regular yogurt since the protein content is SO MUCH higher.
:

Butterbean

• Special Guests
  • Getbig V
« Reply #36 on: September 29, 2009, 09:24:10 AM »
Was it "alfredo-ish"  ???

Yes.  Just had some for lunch w/spinach.

I tried the OIKOS honey flavored...it's OK but I would rather use plain and add honey.  The honey in the honey flavored seems too watery.
R

Migs

• Getbig V
  • THERE WAS A FIRE FIGHT!!!!
« Reply #37 on: October 22, 2009, 07:05:14 PM »
i just bought some fage and added granola and splenda.  pretty tasty.  

Princess L

• Getbig V
  • I stop for turtles
« Reply #38 on: October 22, 2009, 08:29:03 PM »
i just bought some fage and added granola and splenda.  pretty tasty.  

mmm  ;) going for the high end stuff  :P

Try adding a smidge of peanut butter and dried cranberries to that mix  ;D
:

Migs

• Getbig V
« Reply #39 on: October 22, 2009, 08:34:08 PM »
mmm  ;) going for the high end stuff  :P

Try adding a smidge of peanut butter and dried cranberries to that mix  ;D

i bought it at TJ's not too pricey, plus picked up some TJ's brand to try too.  I was thinking about swirling it with strawberry preserves.

Princess L

• Getbig V
  • I stop for turtles
« Reply #40 on: October 22, 2009, 09:12:19 PM »
i bought it at TJ's not too pricey, plus picked up some TJ's brand to try too.  I was thinking about swirling it with strawberry preserves.

I hope it's this version of TJs
:

Migs

• Getbig V
« Reply #41 on: October 23, 2009, 07:41:44 PM »
I hope it's this version of TJs

yup it is.  I have 3 tj's close to me so i don't think i'll have your problems.

loco

• Getbig V
  • loco like a fox
« Reply #42 on: October 24, 2009, 03:06:00 PM »
I just tried this brand and it is very good too.

That doesn't taste like yogurt.  It tastes like sour cream...good alternative to real sour cream!

Carmello

• Getbig III
  • Believe it or not. Your choice.
« Reply #43 on: October 24, 2009, 05:01:42 PM »
I use honey cause I'm allergic to most fruits or fruit seeds. Baby food agrees with me tho. Anyway... the strawberry Kefir milk is really good!!! Adictive. I suggest try that one. Tastes like they add real strawberry extract or something. Let me kno how it goes
CEA999

Butterbean

• Special Guests
  • Getbig V
« Reply #44 on: October 26, 2009, 06:02:00 PM »
That doesn't taste like yogurt.  It tastes like sour cream...good alternative to real sour cream!

It's so good it almost tastes like cheese
R

11venthhour

• Getbig III
« Reply #45 on: October 30, 2009, 12:39:20 AM »
honey is the way to go with greek yogurt.

grill apricots/peaches
scoop some greek in the center
toast some wallnuts add honey and pour over fruit and yogurt
a little piece of yum right there!

Princess L

• Getbig V
  • I stop for turtles
« Reply #46 on: October 30, 2009, 11:45:12 AM »
honey is the way to go with greek yogurt.

grill apricots/peaches
scoop some greek in the center
toast some wallnuts add honey and pour over fruit and yogurt
a little piece of yum right there!

Grilled peaches  ???  Sounds interesting.  Dang it, they're not in season right now.

Someone remember to bump this next year.  I wanna try it  ;D
:

11venthhour

• Getbig III
« Reply #47 on: November 01, 2009, 10:46:55 AM »
Grilled peaches  ???  Sounds interesting.  Dang it, they're not in season right now.

Someone remember to bump this next year.  I wanna try it  ;D

just got to keep the peaches away from direct flame, or try it on a cast iron grill thingy!
they caramelize on the pit side and get soft through the body, its wonderful! great cook out desert!

Princess L

• Getbig V
  • I stop for turtles
« Reply #48 on: November 07, 2009, 12:46:12 PM »
LOL that's your opinion.  I've tasted just about every brand of yogurt available.  All the grocery store brands i.e. Dannon, Yoplait, generics, Mountain High, Stoneybrook farms, yadda yadda.  And just about every greek brand as well.  Also tons of goat milk yogurt.  My favorite is by far Greek Gods Honey!!!!!!!!!!!! YUM YUM!  :)

If you're looking for a less expensive alternative to all the varieties mentioned above DON'T get this one  :-X :-X :-X

It's downright NASTY  :-X :-X :-X

They were sampling this at the grocery store today - the honey and the plain.  You're right, the honey is very good - very thick and creamy.  The 0% plain  :-X :-X :-X  not even on the same planet.  Yuck!
:

Migs

• Getbig V
« Reply #49 on: November 08, 2009, 12:06:13 PM »
just seeded some pomegranites.  should be tasty lil snack later...after the doritos