Author Topic: QUINOA  (Read 6807 times)

hangclean

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
QUINOA
« on: September 12, 2005, 12:11:32 PM »
2 weeks ago I started eating this stuff as the main carb souce in my diet.  I have notice a decent increase in strength, and no bodyfat accumulation.  I read somewhere that this is the only grain in the world with a complete protein profile.  It has a good amount of fiber and it tastes goods without anything on it.  How come this stuff is not more widely used.

big E

• Getbig III
  • Getbig!
Re: QUINOA
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2005, 01:37:53 PM »
where do you get it? and is it expensive? thanks.
Thaiboxing,Bjj

migs849

• Getbig II
  • Getbig!
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2005, 07:21:18 PM »
It's one of those grains that just hasn't hit mainstream mentality yet.  People are not used to using this grain and only those that eat cous cous regularly are ones that try Quinoa.  It is a very good grain and easy to prepare.  Goes really good as a filler in a salad.  It is also good when made with chicken stock for extra flavor.  It is relatively cheap, and can be found at most large chain supermarkets.  You can get it at organic markets but the cost is higher there.

Princess L

• Getbig V
  • I stop for turtles
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2005, 08:06:21 PM »
How come this stuff is not more widely used?
http://www.wholehealthmd.com/refshelf/foods_view/0,1523,74,00.html
Availability
Since this grain is still a relatively new one, at least to the American market, you're most likely to find it in health-food and specialty stores. Large supermarkets often stock quinoa, too
:

Ra

« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2005, 02:05:14 AM »
Is it high GI or moderate/low?

If it was low GI i would consider it, otherwise i see no reason...

Princess, you seem to know your stuff about food, maybe you can give me some links or some info about how to lower the insulin response to a meal, or about low GI food.
( i dont need another GI index, i can find those myself, just some more detailled info).
I eat a lot of bread, and a lot of carbs too. I'm thinking about saving my insulin peaks for post-workout...

hangclean

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2005, 11:46:43 AM »
Is it high GI or moderate/low?

Princess, you seem to know your stuff about food, maybe you can give me some links or some info about how to lower the insulin response to a meal, or about low GI food.
( i dont need another GI index, i can find those myself, just some more detailled info).
I eat a lot of bread, and a lot of carbs too. I'm thinking about saving my insulin peaks for post-workout...
Wouldnt it automatically be low GI because of the high fiber content?

migs849

• Getbig II
  • Getbig!
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2005, 05:23:28 PM »
It will fall on the lower end of the GI table.  Remember that when you mix food, say eating quinoa with chicken and a little oil the GI goes down.  You always have to consider the other foods that you are mixing.

Princess L

• Getbig V
  • I stop for turtles
« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2005, 09:19:59 PM »
maybe you can give me some links or some info about how to lower the insulin response to a meal, or about low GI food.
  I'm glad people are starting to realize there's more involved than the GI of the carb itself.  Here's some great information. 
http://www.nutritiondata.com/glycemic-index.html

It's considered a complete protein (unlike other grains, seeds, nuts, etc).  Plus it could offer some variety to the diet.  There's more to having variety than just taking the bordem away.  It's a natural way to get a variety of vitamins and minerals.[/color]
:

gli_ya

« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2005, 03:17:13 AM »
Interresting... I picked some of this shit up today... it's not bad...

Bluto

• Getbig V
  • Well?
« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2005, 05:44:41 AM »
what does it taste like, like rice? is it hard to swallow?
Z

Ra

« Reply #10 on: September 14, 2005, 06:06:36 AM »
  I'm glad people are starting to realize there's more involved than the GI of the carb itself.  Here's some great information. 
http://www.nutritiondata.com/glycemic-index.html
  It's considered a complete protein (unlike other grains, seeds, nuts, etc).  Plus it could offer some variety to the diet.  There's more to having variety than just taking the bordem away.  It's a natural way to get a variety of vitamins and minerals.[/color]
Thx for the link, i'll check out that site when i have some time

hangclean

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #11 on: September 14, 2005, 12:42:55 PM »
what does it taste like, like rice? is it hard to swallow?
It actually tastes good.  Kind of like a cross beetween couscous and McCans Irish oatmeal if you can imagine that.  It smells kind of weird when you cook it though.  Also, It has the germ ring that kind of separates when its cooked, so it looks like little worms crawling around in a bowl of couscous when its done!  The thing I really like about this stuff besides the nutritional value is that it only takes 10 minutes to cook it, and I dont have to add any fat or sugar to make it taste good like I need with oatmeal.  I may actually eat this instead of oatmeal for my main carb source.

migs849

• Getbig II
  • Getbig!
« Reply #12 on: September 15, 2005, 08:06:29 PM »
It's good if you toss some diced tomatoes, basil and a little bit of olive oil and vinegar, with some sliced chicken.  You are right, it does look a bit weird when done.

Captain_Dirty

• Getbig I
  • Prepare to be boarded
« Reply #13 on: October 21, 2005, 06:32:07 AM »
I tried a sample at a whole foods store and it's not bad stuff. Gonna give some a try for a break from other low GI carbs for dinner.
Arrgghh Billy!