Author Topic: Best machine/exercise to bring up calves  (Read 2583 times)

1 G of E

• Getbig II
Best machine/exercise to bring up calves
« on: September 30, 2007, 05:50:47 PM »
I'm a smaller dude so i think my calve size fits my body nicely. However; i'd like to work on bringing the muscle up so it looks more "flexed" when im standing still, walking, etc. I know this is mostly genetic but any exercises or machines i specifically for bringing up the calves?

Bluto

• Getbig V
  • Well?
Re: Best machine/exercise to bring up calves
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2007, 12:18:47 AM »
most use standing calves machines primarly and seated secondarly

then there's various ideas about number of reps, sets etc but the choice of equipment are for most the same
Z

mass 04

• Getbig V
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2007, 12:00:09 PM »
I like donkey calf raises and toe presses on the leg press, also check the sticky up top; awesome advice on there.

The Squadfather

• Getbig V
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2007, 12:10:28 PM »
the hardest exercise is always the best so do standing calf raises.

slaveboy1980

• Getbig V
  • Thought is the arrow of time; memory never fades.
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2007, 04:24:26 PM »
the most important exercises for calves are the movements where you have straight legs (or almost..alittle knee bend is ok to protect the knees)

(standing calf raise, donkey raise, calf raises in legpress machine )

seated calf raises should be used as a complement to the above exercises.

kimura

• Getbig III
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2007, 05:10:22 PM »
jump rope

Meso_z

• Getbig V
« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2007, 11:59:57 AM »
I'm a smaller dude so i think my calve size fits my body nicely. However; i'd like to work on bringing the muscle up so it looks more "flexed" when im standing still, walking, etc. I know this is mostly genetic but any exercises or machines i specifically for bringing up the calves?

You should really try the
" The Calves Thread: the mtwain protocol for growth and more "
Good luck.   ;)

Bigger Business

• Getbig V
  • FKN Gym Wear
« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2007, 04:31:58 AM »

kcballer

• Getbig V
  • In you I feel so pretty, In you I taste God
« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2007, 05:02:16 PM »
jump rope

totally agree, i play basketball and being that you have to jump on your toes a lot on second jumps for rebounds etc i have pretty big calves and i've never trained them ever with weights, so try some jump rope/basketball stuff to help.  it's great for cardio too.
Abandon every hope...

Cap

• Getbig V
  • Trueprotein.com 5% discount code= CSP111
« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2007, 07:15:39 PM »
totally agree, i play basketball and being that you have to jump on your toes a lot on second jumps for rebounds etc i have pretty big calves and i've never trained them ever with weights, so try some jump rope/basketball stuff to help.  it's great for cardio too.
You might be an exception but BB players are not known for monstrous calves.

Check out the calf sticky thread, as some have mentioned, and work on different movements as much as possible during the week.  I would say do as many standing calf raises as you can and include sets of seated calf raises for full development.  I don't think there is a "best" when it comes to good calves.  Some BBers have favorites but all seem to work at least 3 different exercises.
Squishy face retard

haider

• Getbig V
  • Team Batman Squats
« Reply #10 on: October 05, 2007, 07:30:47 PM »
IMO hitting up the calves with lower AND higher reps is optimal. This can be done in several different ways, going heavy in one workout and ligher in the next, or doing both in the same workout. Heavy range is anywhere from 6-10 reps and lighter anywhere from 15-30 reps.

The soleus should be primarily targeted with higher reps however (seated calf raises), because of the dominant slow-twitch makeup of the muscle. So it should be trained with reps as low as 12 and as high as 30.

Sample workout:
Standing Calf Raises- 3 x 8-12
Seated Calf- 2 x 20
follow the arrows

JasonH

• Getbig V
« Reply #11 on: October 06, 2007, 03:52:05 AM »
IMO hitting up the calves with lower AND higher reps is optimal. This can be done in several different ways, going heavy in one workout and ligher in the next, or doing both in the same workout. Heavy range is anywhere from 6-10 reps and lighter anywhere from 15-30 reps.

The soleus should be primarily targeted with higher reps however (seated calf raises), because of the dominant slow-twitch makeup of the muscle. So it should be trained with reps as low as 12 and as high as 30.

Sample workout:
Standing Calf Raises- 3 x 8-12
Seated Calf- 2 x 20

Pretty much what I would have said - any exercise is fine (my calves are very stubborn) but I've always found that the following works wonders -

Standing calf raises - use the heaviest weight you can handle - 3 set of 15
Seated calf raises - again, heaviest weight you can hande - 3 sets of 15-20
Toe press on leg press machine - 3 sets of 15-20