Author Topic: my new back routine  (Read 1341 times)

Eric15210

• Getbig IV
  • poor people are crazy I'm eccentric
my new back routine
« on: October 08, 2007, 10:12:54 AM »
I'm looking for some advice or help here - I only train back once per week

3 x chins (total 30-35 reps)

3 x db rows (6-10 reps)

3 x seated machine rows (8-12 reps)

3-4 x deadlifts (6-8 reps)

too much or too little?

thanks

RIP Bob Probert

thewickedtruth

• Getbig V
Re: my new back routine
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2007, 10:18:27 AM »

3 x db rows (6-10 reps)

too much or too little?

thanks

Seems like alot of work to me unless the first set or two of each exercise is a "Warmup" set... even then, that's alot of wasted energy.

IrishMuscle84

• Getbig IV
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2007, 10:26:22 AM »
Everything looks good to me, the only thing i would change is maybe do less reps/sets for chin-ups but do what works for you.

The Squadfather

• Getbig V
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2007, 03:05:10 PM »
looks good but i'd definitely throw in either barbell rows or T bars either in place of or in addition to the seated machine row, good program though.

Bluto

• Getbig V
  • Well?
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2007, 04:03:40 PM »
I take it those set of chins is really challenging, otherwise you might want to throw in an additional exercise to target the lats more since you got 2 exercises for rows following.
Z

triple_pickle

• Getbig IV
  • Pull Hard, Move Fast
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2007, 05:53:25 PM »
agree with squad.

do weighted chins, i do one warmup set, 10 reps, then 3 sets weighted progressing with 8, 6, 4 reps.

A2daMIR

• Getbig III
« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2007, 06:09:22 PM »

3 x db rows (6-10 reps)

too much or too little?

thanks

im not a big believer in very high reps, unless for warmups... so for chins do 1 set of 30-35, then deffinately add weights till you can keep it in the 8-12 range.

Honestly i think you can add AT LEASt one more excercise... my suggestion is either V_Bar Pulldown or DB Pullover ( very very very under rated IMO)

Zach Trowbridge

• Getbig IV
« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2007, 10:06:26 PM »
I think everybody missed the part where it says TOTAL of 30-35 reps over 3 sets of chins.  1 set of 30 would be insane.

Bluto

• Getbig V
  • Well?
« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2007, 04:55:03 AM »
yes he means total. i still felt i need to ask if thats some challenging sets or he would probably need another exercise. hell migth wanna add that anyway  ;)

myself i do both chins and lat pulldowns, even if the chins is challenging you can mix it up with a different grip or handle bar or something

Z

Eric15210

• Getbig IV
  • poor people are crazy I'm eccentric
« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2007, 05:32:55 AM »
thanks for all the help

RIP Bob Probert

CalvinH

• Getbig V
  • Spastic Tarted Cvunt
« Reply #10 on: October 09, 2007, 08:00:03 AM »
Good workout but don't be afraid to change it after awhile.
for example,change the order of your routine,exersices,sets,and reps.
it keeps things interesting and hits parts of the back from different angles.

mass 04

• Getbig V
« Reply #11 on: October 09, 2007, 08:06:03 AM »
looks like a really solid routine, but back is such a complex muscle you can hit it from so many angles with tons of different exercises, so don't be afraid to change it up.  For example alternate cable rows with BB rows each week, or throw in some pullovers which are a great exercise for the lats.  Glad to see your deadlifting too.

CalvinH

• Getbig V
  • Spastic Tarted Cvunt
« Reply #12 on: October 09, 2007, 08:08:23 AM »
looks like a really solid routine, but back is such a complex muscle you can hit it from so many angles with tons of different exercises, so don't be afraid to change it up.  For example alternate cable rows with BB rows each week, or throw in some pullovers which are a great exercise for the lats.  Glad to see your deadlifting too.

Hahaha...
ahem..read the post above yours ;) ;D ;D ;D

mass 04

• Getbig V
« Reply #13 on: October 09, 2007, 08:13:36 AM »

Hahaha...
ahem..read the post above yours ;) ;D ;D ;D

oh, brother ;D, great minds think alike

jpm101

• Getbig IV
« Reply #14 on: October 09, 2007, 08:26:03 AM »
Looks like a sound program, but you may want to tweak it a bit.  Think about dropping the machine rows and have the total sets for the whole back workout kept at nine. Actually between 6 to 9 sets would work well. If your gym has a hammer grip on the chin bar than try that position. Another prime position would be a medium curl grip. In any event, change grip positions from time to time. (one of the better ways to chin is on a pair of gymnastic rings, which allow a natural twist to the movement....also hits the biceps very well)

When doing DB rows keep the elbows out and wide, more inline with the shoulders. Affects the back/lats but also hits the posterior delts better. Just a different angel to attack the whole back structure. With the DL's, might shrug the shoulders(high) at the top of the lift each rep. Even more of a compound exercise than. Try a wider grip, from time to time. Can offer a different stretch to the lats/traps.

Most people forget that chins are as much of a power and muscle mass builder as are DL's, cleans, etc. Most guy's do not like them because they are harder to do at first. Do not know why people think to do only higher reps, between 8 and 12. Experiment with 5X5's, set's of 3's, etc.. Try increasing the weight used each workout. Can also try partial (about quarter reps) or half reps, along with regular chin workouts. Three plates, or above, for some guy's (with partials) when starting from the bottom position. Good Luck.
F