Author Topic: Good new way to work legs please? Backs f*cked  (Read 7706 times)

davie

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
Good new way to work legs please? Backs f*cked
« on: November 02, 2009, 09:36:06 AM »
Hey guys, i hurt disc in my lower back few months ago....after a few weeks i was actually ok with front squats but no deads/heavy back squats.

Well its reared its ugly head again, so no olympic lifting (which i love and base training around), and no heavy back squats....

I could throw some ideas down, but always nice to get sum feedback, or tips on things uv done when in same situation as me.

Davie
It isn't the mountains ah

d0nny2600

• Getbig V
  • http://i.imgur.com/mCzI3N5.jpg
Re: Good new way to work legs please? Backs f*cked
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2009, 09:37:58 AM »
Hey guys, i hurt disc in my lower back few months ago....after a few weeks i was actually ok with front squats but no deads/heavy back squats.

Well its reared its ugly head again, so no olympic lifting (which i love and base training around), and no heavy back squats....

I could throw some ideas down, but always nice to get sum feedback, or tips on things uv done when in same situation as me.

Davie
Hey Davie,
Leg presses if the angle doesn't hurt your lower back, Barbell hacks, lunges, smith front squats - try things like that. Hopefully they will work for you

mass 04

• Getbig V
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2009, 10:41:35 AM »

LatsMcGee

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2009, 11:26:41 AM »
Try Paul Bunyon Squats.  Really easy on the back.   

tonymctones

• Getbig V
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2009, 12:24:47 PM »
im coming off a back injury and i second the leg presses

davie

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2009, 02:00:00 PM »
I train at local club gym, all free weights and a smith. Perfect for me really, loads of weight/db's, a rowing machine and a vertical climber lol.

The gym i work at has leg press one of those were u put ur foot on a plate and the chair moves backwards at ever so slight angle.

Davie

dyslexic

• Getbig V
  • baddoggy
« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2009, 09:25:56 PM »
Take care of that back. Been there did that.

I used to deadlift and squat like a powerlifter. I never lost the muscle that I gained from all that heavy work, but I still have all the injuries.

tonymctones

• Getbig V
« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2009, 09:44:40 PM »
I train at local club gym, all free weights and a smith. Perfect for me really, loads of weight/db's, a rowing machine and a vertical climber lol.

The gym i work at has leg press one of those were u put ur foot on a plate and the chair moves backwards at ever so slight angle.

Davie
man i hate those types of machine i prefer the sled style leg press or the leverage kind

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2009, 05:35:40 AM »
Try a new gym, hit every machine they have, see what works/hurts and what doesn't.

My legs didn't grow for a while, then I actually added some adductor/abductor work, and suddenly I'm sore like never before

YoungBlood

• Getbig V
  • Weee!
« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2009, 07:55:03 AM »
Try Zercher Squats:

calfzilla

• Getbig V
  • YUMAN FILTH!
« Reply #10 on: November 03, 2009, 11:18:37 PM »
Pre-exhaust

jpm101

• Getbig IV
« Reply #11 on: November 04, 2009, 07:58:45 AM »
Mass04 gives a great example with the Bulgarian split's. Also consider Step-ups. With a potential bad back, sometimes it is better to work one leg at a time rather than regular squatting. Works very well if into sports. BB Hack squats may be OK, but than again it's your back so only you will know.  If you meant a leg slide machine (for a better term) than the back will be braced against the chair. Same with a regular Hack slide machine. Again, all depends on how your back responds.

The Zercher squat (same can be said for front squats when the body is not kept in line) puts too much pressure, because of the lean forward, on the lower back for most guy's. (in the video: why guy's wear do rags while working out I will never know. ...also cap's ass backwards or on an angle...guess some studs are just too cool for everyone else)  Pay attention to the ham's. Probably limited in exercises, but try working the ham's with leg curls (machines, towel resistance, etc.).

Had major surgery on the lower back (L3 to L5) in college from football. For recovery I used Romanian Dl's, and step-ups. A couple of month's in, I was stronger in the lower back/hips/glutes and legs than ever before. Hit the ab's extra hard with heavy weight. People forget how important ab's and ham's are to insure back health and strength. Good Luck.
F

davie

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #12 on: November 05, 2009, 02:40:11 PM »
Cheers guys, great feedback.

When i originally did this i stopepd deadlifting and back squatting and after a month i was front squatting again....i know i know ud think  this places more stress on lower back with weight pulling u foreword, but for me it doesnt (weirdo lol). I stay nice and upright, whilst with back squats i lean foreword alot more when it gets heavy.

i tried smith squatting yesterday, one set of 50kg's (not even heavy enough for a warm up weight usually) for 5 reps....then did same weight on back squats and had to stop after 3 reps. Thats like a third of weight i put on, but couldnt even do that.

Davie

YoungBlood

• Getbig V
  • Weee!
« Reply #13 on: November 05, 2009, 09:18:30 PM »

Also, if you're not already doing so now, make sure you stretch out your quads/hip muscles/hams too.

I used to NEVER stretch. Then I think it was about 3yrs ago, I started a diet phase, walked on the treadmill backwards (noticing a bit of my hips tightening up, didn't think anything of it), lots of Hanging Leg Raises and still no stretching.
One day I'm warming up as usual for back squats. Empty bar for 5, 135/5, 185 on the third rep I felt an excruciating pain radiated down my back. Ever since then my back has seemed pretty fucked.
After trying to work around it as much as possible-much like yourself- I finally started to ask around realizing it's not getting any better. I went to a get a massage and when I was asked if I had any problem areas, I said my back.
When they tested my back with a finger on my spine, nothing. But when my hip muscles were to be worked- I shot through the roof!
Since then I've made sure to stretch really well, especially my psoas muscles- which were the culprit in my case.
I'm near squatting my old weight again, but I still have to be extra careful.

Yev33

• Getbig III
« Reply #14 on: November 05, 2009, 11:47:10 PM »
If you can do front squats like you said I would definetely stick with those. Never felt them in my lower back, if you think about it you can't get away with much forward lean or you will lose the bar. It's one of my favorite movements, and even though the back squat is amazing for overall leg mass the front squat targets the quads much more directly. I would also suggest the machine hack squat which is also great for targeting the quads. Just make sure you get some hamstring work in because the front squats and the machine hack squats don't bring them into play as much.

jpm101

• Getbig IV
« Reply #15 on: November 06, 2009, 07:43:39 AM »
If Davie were to have his heels on a 2X4, or BB plates, when doing front squats, than less action directed to the lower back and more to the quads themselves would result. And as we all know, keeping the elbows as high as possible, while holding the bar for front squats, insures better balance and less stress on the back. Of course some guy's only allow the bar to rest on the front delt, crossing the arms and lightly touch the bar.Or even hold the arms straight out. Most guy's can do that,either way, with a little practice.

Might also consider Sissy Squats. An excellent way to stretch the quads and build muscle at the same time. Even Roman Chair (a real Roman Chair...not that crap that some company's try to pass off as one) give stretch and muscle building. Also can get a superior ab workout on one of these.  Sissy Squats & Roman Chairs offer much less stress on the lower back. Good Luck.
F

Leevancleef1

• Getbig I
« Reply #16 on: April 07, 2020, 05:06:09 PM »
Dude has bad back and you suggest ZERCHER squats?   WTF

Humble Narcissist

• Getbig V
« Reply #17 on: April 10, 2020, 12:06:33 PM »
Bodyweight squats and sissy squats if the angle doesn't aggravate your back.

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #18 on: April 11, 2020, 05:58:35 AM »
Bro tips. Not a doctor. See a doctor. If you have stenosis of the vertebra and a nerve is being crushed you might need an operation if the pain doesn't go away.  Sometimes the nerve settles down with time.

Maybe start your recovery with body weight squats. Yes, use no weight and do sets of 50 with deep squats. Not as easy as it sounds.

Walking fast has always helped when I get lower back aggravation. Even if you lift if you're not spending time on your feet your kinetic health is compromised. Far too many guys sit 15 hours a day then lift for an hour thinking they have their bases covered. Nope you have to stand on your feet moving and walking is a great way to get that specific exercise we all need.  Walk fast for a half hour to an hour a day.

If the pain is going down after that try light dumbbells held at your sides for dumbbell squats. Make sure you are not deadlifting the dumbbells. Squat with back  upright and concentrate on sinking your butt. As you progress in weight use straps to hold the dumbbells. It's actually a brutal exercise.  A much lighter weight than a barbell feels just as hard if you do it right.

A leg press depending on the construction of the machine could be used but use this method. Do not use a ton of weight and do quarter knee bends.  Lower the back board so your legs can come back. Concentrate on bending your legs. Guy that have the back board high think they are doing a full range.  In other words do a fairly deep squat when leg pressing. Again use a weight where form doesn't break down so your hips remain planted solid and not rounding. Naturally if leg presses hurt discard them.

I heard someone mention the hack machine. It could be used but for many but it can compress the vertebra further causing pressure on the nerve.

This might aggravate your lower back pain or it could help. Try hanging knee ups. It will give you traction separating the vertebra freeing up space and the pressure on the nerve.

If it isn't so bad you need an operation sometimes a compromised nerve needs time to settle down. I had severe nerve pain in my foot. The doctor said to think of the nerve in this case as an electrical wire. He said you have a wire and a plastic coating. Due to running in too narrow running shoes I damaged the plastic around the nerve. It took six months but I got back to running. This happened about 5 yeas ago and I never had a problem again. I also don't tighten my running shoes as tight as I use to do.