Author Topic: Indian clubs  (Read 4640 times)

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
Indian clubs
« on: November 26, 2020, 07:41:28 PM »
I always remembered in old pictures of health clubs from the 1920's and back I would see Indian clubs. Always wondered what the fu#k are they good for?  They always appeared to be made out of wood. How heavy could they be?  Long story short about a year ago I actually saw a guy bring a pair into the gym.  He was doing a lot of rhythmic swings with them almost like martial arts. What stuck me is that my first thought was it must be great for shoulder flexibility and health. Looking at some videos on you tube the swings almost seem like martial arts katas.  One guy said his clubs only weigh  two pound each but he said that was more than enough resistance especially when moving fast. Another video said it was great for elbow and shoulder health.  It seems to have a learning curve doing the different patterns. With my luck I would crack it into my head and have a concussion.

Anyone ever use them here?  What do you think?  Maybe they knew what they were doing back in the day of Sandow?

Humble Narcissist

• Getbig V
Re: Indian clubs
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2020, 11:58:55 AM »
They had a resurgence years ago but kettlebells won out.  I think Matt Furey still promotes them as useful.  It's funny how the guys who demonize weights (Furey, Tsatsouline) use kettlebells and Indian clubs.

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2020, 12:32:39 PM »
They had a resurgence years ago but kettlebells won out.  I think Matt Furey still promotes them as useful.  It's funny how the guys who demonize weights (Furey, Tsatsouline) use kettlebells and Indian clubs.

Indian clubs for the most part aren't heavy. Most use 2lbs clubs. It's the speed in the "katas" that make them a workout. I see Indian clubs as a rehab thing and preventive thing for the shoulder area.

Humble Narcissist

• Getbig V
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2020, 12:51:18 PM »
Indian clubs for the most part aren't heavy. Most use 2lbs clubs. It's the speed in the "katas" that make them a workout. I see Indian clubs as a rehab thing and preventive thing for the shoulder area.
The Indian wrestlers like Gama used pretty heavy clubs.

Kront0

• Getbig I
  • Getbig!
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2020, 04:27:19 AM »
Indian clubs exist mostly for general physical development.

IroNat

• Getbig V
  • Time you enjoy wasting, was not wasted.
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2020, 04:56:22 AM »
Arnold didn't use them.

Humble Narcissist

• Getbig V
« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2020, 08:59:43 AM »
Arnold didn't use them.

He swung a sword in the 2 Conan movies though. 

IroNat

• Getbig V
« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2020, 12:25:53 PM »
He swung a sword in the 2 Conan movies though. 

And with the maid.

Humble Narcissist

• Getbig V
« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2020, 03:24:40 AM »

jpm101

• Getbig IV
« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2021, 09:24:04 AM »
Most any ancient culture used a form of Indian clubs for weapon training; as swords, maces, axes, battle clubs, etc.   Used in Sumer, Egypt, Persian, Celtic, Roman, etc battle training.  Even modern baseball players have a weight attached to their bats for practice swings. They could probably benefit from Indian club workouts.....just saying.

(had an opportunity to handle a original English two handed middle age broadsword, had to be 3 1/2 to  4ft long, if memory serves. Surprise actually how light it seemed and fairly easy to handle once getting adjusted to it.)

Indian clubs build up stamina  (endurance & strength) as a excellent way to workout. Maybe they will catch on with the cardio freaks out there. If the out dated and awkward kettlebells staged a recent comeback, why not the productive Indian clubs.

F

Humble Narcissist

• Getbig V
« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2021, 09:56:46 AM »
Indian clubs won't ever be as big as kettlebells but still have their own little subculture with Matt Furey's guys.  Nothing beats dumbbells though.

jpm101

• Getbig IV
« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2021, 10:23:07 AM »
Yes, DB's are superior to kettlebells. Easier in the wrist and better balanced for better function.  DB's took the place of the awkward old fashion kettlebell years ago and for good reason..

Don't know, a couple of updated youtube video's on Indian club workouts and who knows. People got caught up with the kettlebell hype...so anything is possible in resistance training. Never know how a new trend will start.

Even band workouts are becoming popular, which are the offshoot of adjustable spring pull workouts......way, way back in the day.   Pretty much what goes around comes around, soon or later.
F

Humble Narcissist

• Getbig V
« Reply #12 on: January 13, 2021, 10:47:21 AM »
I think Pavel from Dragon Door Publishing brought back kettlebell popularity.  He had some unique ideas about training but is against building muscle for bodybuilding purposes.  He insisted on "functional" training, which is really kind of a waste to me.  If I workout, I want to LOOK like I workout.  Who cares if you can do a 1 legged pistol squat while holding a kettlebell?  I want the wahmenzzz dammit!

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #13 on: February 13, 2021, 07:06:30 PM »
Most any ancient culture used a form of Indian clubs for weapon training; as swords, maces, axes, battle clubs, etc.   Used in Sumer, Egypt, Persian, Celtic, Roman, etc battle training.  Even modern baseball players have a weight attached to their bats for practice swings. They could probably benefit from Indian club workouts.....just saying.

(had an opportunity to handle a original English two handed middle age broadsword, had to be 3 1/2 to  4ft long, if memory serves. Surprise actually how light it seemed and fairly easy to handle once getting adjusted to it.)

Indian clubs build up stamina  (endurance & strength) as a excellent way to workout. Maybe they will catch on with the cardio freaks out there. If the out dated and awkward kettlebells staged a recent comeback, why not the productive Indian clubs.

Funny you bought up swords. I always wanted to buy a quality sword.  I guess it's just me thinking about ancient war. War was seriously brutal back then.  I saw a video where a guy shot a side of beef with a 12 gauge shotgun loaded with  buckshot double 00 ammo with 9 pellets at point blank range. He had 9 pellets through the side of beef. He then brought out a sword and said which do you think is more lethal? With one swing he cut the hanging side of beef (A half a cow) in half.  I think the point he was trying to make at least and  what I got from it was with a sharp sword you literally could cut a person in half with one swing. I would buy a sword but I know swinging it around I would accidently kill myself hitting my thigh or something. I'll stick to firearms.

IroNat

• Getbig V
« Reply #14 on: February 14, 2021, 04:02:15 AM »
Wimmens respect a mans who can swing his sword.