Author Topic: Squat technique  (Read 3442 times)

a-wannabe

• Getbig I
  • Getbig!
Squat technique
« on: August 23, 2006, 11:25:40 AM »
Stats- 35 y/o  6'1"  210lbs training 8 yrs  train alone

When I squat I have a tendency to lean forward on the eccentric phase of the lift which involves my lower back and I have an old back injury. (broke on a dirt bike @ 16) and my back gets very tight and sometimes have to lay on the gym floor. If i have a spotter that berely keeps me pulled back on my heels, instead of 315 for 1 or 2 reps it is 315 for 6-8 ( I know I am a weakling, but....)
I have used plates under my heels, but I really do not feel any difference. Any advice? I do not want to stop the squat and would like to get my form correct so that I can increase the poundage. 405 was always my goal.

Overload

• Getbig V
  • KO Artist
Re: Squat technique
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2006, 11:39:26 AM »
try widening your stance...i had the same problem.

8)

sarcasm

• Getbig V
  • The Luke loves Dungeons and Dragons
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2006, 11:52:48 AM »
315 is not weak.
Jaejonna rows 125!!

Mr. Intenseone

« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2006, 12:53:01 PM »

When I squat I have a tendency to lean forward on the eccentric phase of the lift which involves my lower back and I have an old back injury. (broke on a dirt bike @ 16) and my back gets very tight and sometimes have to lay on the gym floor. If i have a spotter that berely keeps me pulled back on my heels, instead of 315 for 1 or 2 reps it is 315 for 6-8 ( I know I am a weakling, but....)
I have used plates under my heels, but I really do not feel any difference. Any advice? I do not want to stop the squat and would like to get my form correct so that I can increase the poundage. 405 was always my goal.

It might be time to more or less refine your technique and switch to box squats, try starting with an 18" box, but when you perform the exercise just don't "touch and go"...as you go down use a tempo of about 5-0-1 when you come down to the box, sit completly down and and roll you're hips foward as you come up, this will not only help with your strength but will also re-teach you the correct form in performing the exercise and by rolling (pelvic tilt forward) your hips with increase the strength in your low back and hip flexors.

Start with a light weight you can handle for 6-8 sets of reps from 5-3 with rests of 2-3mins. As you get stronger (about 2-4 weeks of 2 sessions per) lower your weight as you lower the box. By the end of this strength cycle you should be much stronger with damn near perfect form!

JPM

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2006, 01:05:47 PM »
Might try including some GoodMornings in your workout. Have aided many PL's as well as regular BB'ers when the lower back is the weaker link in the squat or many other exercises. Can also try supporting a heavier weight in your normal squat position and do 2" breaks at the knees. Tends to get the body set up to handle heavier, full squats in a normal workout. Training the ab's is another way to help and strenghten the core of the lower back/midsection. Strong ab's are very important in squating, DL's, etc.

Box squating is good, as Mr. Intenseone suggested.  But you may have to have someone with a helpfull eye to watch how you preform them. It is a learning exercise. Or just start with the bar at first and go for 20 reps or so, just to learn the feel and style of the exercise.  Sometimes just the way the bar is resting on the shoulders can have a bearing on squating style. High, middle or low on the traps can make a lot of difference for some people. Good Luck.

dovidov

• Getbig II
  • Getbig!
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2006, 06:59:36 PM »
drop weight and get better/more reps and dont move up in weight until ur ready - when u do move up make it very little at a time

Jr. Yates

• Getbig V
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2006, 07:21:15 PM »
incorperate the smith machine into your workouts once in awhile. also maybe try front squats as well.
bodybuildersreality.com

Coda

• Getbig II
« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2006, 09:45:15 PM »
Incorporate front squats into your workout as these work the abdominal and lower back muscles slightly more than back squats if your form is perfect.  Dropping the weight on back squats and only doing sets with perfect form helps.  Lowering the bar further down your back makes a big difference because the weight is alot closer to the pivot point so it relieves stress on the lower back muscles.  Lastly get those abs superstrong.

Lord Humungous

• Getbig V
  • REVOLUTION CALLING!
« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2006, 05:04:05 AM »

Here are a few things that might help- You probably squat like a body builder, with the bar high on your neck. Adopt a powerlifters technique and roll the bar down so it rest across your shoulders just below the traps. It feels strange at first but it will pull your shoulders back. Next keep your eyes on the ceiling and slightly tilt your head up. If the head comes up everything else will follow. Last drive with your heels. Get rid of the plates and when you explode out of the hole put all the pressure on your heels. Try and see if this helps!
X

a-wannabe

• Getbig I
  • Getbig!
« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2006, 01:57:19 PM »
Thanks to everyone for the advice. I have already tried the box squats and I cannot belive the pump I had in my quads with 95#'s on the bar!! I want to really concentrate on the technique. I will try to incorporate all of these tips and hopefully my back will quite getting the work out and I might actually get some growth in my legs!