Author Topic: whats your average weight used on shrugs  (Read 14417 times)

Lucky Lance

• Getbig II
Re: whats your average weight used on shrugs
« Reply #50 on: November 29, 2007, 04:33:54 AM »
Haha yeah. There could have been some good info in there, but i'm not gonna read for 10 minutes to find out.

Wait a minute -- so you're telling me that out of the 14 hours a day you guys spend on GetBig, you can't spare 10 minutes to read my post and possibly learn some helpful info? :P

webcake

• Getbig V
  • Not now chief...
« Reply #51 on: November 29, 2007, 05:08:11 AM »
Wait a minute -- so you're telling me that out of the 14 hours a day you guys spend on GetBig, you can't spare 10 minutes to read my post and possibly learn some helpful info? :P

Hey man, i only spend about 13hrs a day here. Geez. ;D

Nah man its all good, just remember, the longer it is, the less people are going to read it.
No doubt about it...

jpm101

• Getbig IV
« Reply #52 on: November 29, 2007, 08:56:29 AM »
American's want short sound (or reading) bites. Instant information is what is required, correct or incorrect. It really does not matter much. So things like " squats for legs and benches for chest" or "8-12 reps are best for everyone" always all are easier to digest and understand  mentally. Thinking & understanding training styles, for the individual BB'er, requires planned thought process. Too much mental energy for some who come here. And besides, their lips have to move a lot when reading that long stuff.

If anyone wants better involvement of the trap when when doing HI-pulls/cleans than use the example of the Olympic lifters. Thick and muscular traps/upper backs as the goal. Contract/squeeze the traps during the lift, keep them in mind as a muscle group. Do this during the middle and top range of the Hi-pulls/clean mostly, using the arms as a starter for the lift. BB'ers will depend too much on the arms for pulling all the way up and not enough on the traps themselves. Making the Hi-pull/cleans more affective for the traps, SS shrugs right after your pulls.

I started serious rack shrugs my first year of college football. My senior year using 900+ for partial reps (3X3's usually) and with-in the 750 range for full reps. I was, by no means, the only lineman to do this. I was just one of a few. I weighted between 270-280 as a senior (I weight 235-240 now at 6'2 and 35 years old).  We would also stand in the full DL position and hold an extra heavy weight for 20 to 30 seconds (straps of course...from a PR).  Also did this when in the full top holding contracted position of shrugs (trying to touch the ears in theory). Both outstanding movements. Some did Hise shrugs, which added a lot of muscle to a lot of guy's I have trained with back than. A very overlooked body power exercise. Good Luck.
F

The Squadfather

• Getbig V
« Reply #53 on: November 29, 2007, 09:14:12 AM »
American's want short sound (or reading) bites. Instant information is what is required, correct or incorrect. It really does not matter much. So things like " squats for legs and benches for chest" or "8-12 reps are best for everyone" always all are easier to digest and understand  mentally. Thinking & understanding training styles, for the individual BB'er, requires planned thought process. Too much mental energy for some who come here. And besides, their lips have to move a lot when reading that long stuff.

If anyone wants better involvement of the trap when when doing HI-pulls/cleans than use the example of the Olympic lifters. Thick and muscular traps/upper backs as the goal. Contract/squeeze the traps during the lift, keep them in mind as a muscle group. Do this during the middle and top range of the Hi-pulls/clean mostly, using the arms as a starter for the lift. BB'ers will depend too much on the arms for pulling all the way up and not enough on the traps themselves. Making the Hi-pull/cleans more affective for the traps, SS shrugs right after your pulls.

I started serious rack shrugs my first year of college football. My senior year using 900+ for partial reps (3X3's usually) and with-in the 750 range for full reps. I was, by no means, the only lineman to do this. I was just one of a few. I weighted between 270-280 as a senior (I weight 235-240 now at 6'2 and 35 years old).  We would also stand in the full DL position and hold an extra heavy weight for 20 to 30 seconds (straps of course...from a PR).  Also did this when in the full top holding contracted position of shrugs (trying to touch the ears in theory). Both outstanding movements. Some did Hise shrugs, which added a lot of muscle to a lot of guy's I have trained with back than. A very overlooked body power exercise. Good Luck.
let's see a picture man, you sound like a big dude.

Lucky Lance

• Getbig II
« Reply #54 on: November 29, 2007, 12:00:17 PM »
Hey man, i only spend about 13hrs a day here. Geez. ;D

Nah man its all good, just remember, the longer it is, the less people are going to read it.

Wassup man; nah, I was just messin' with people; having fun.  Hopefully later they'll take some time to read my post even though they won't admit it.  A visual aid like a video would be best and hold people's attention, but I don't want to see my fat arse on video let alone have other people see it!! ;D

Lucky Lance

• Getbig II
« Reply #55 on: November 29, 2007, 12:09:21 PM »

You sound like a manager like I am in the real world.  Yeah, people (and especially American's like myself) are so "visual" in their way of learning and retaining info; I think I read somewhere that 90% of what we learn is via what we see, and the other 10% is from reading, listenting, etc.

You've got some great tips; maybe I'll try alternating "power" workouts and "bodybuilding" workouts and see how that goes.  I just gotta be careful with injuries cause I'm an old fart (38 years old) and I don't train with a partner so everything's gotta be stuff that I can do without a spotter safely.  Thanks for the info.

Cap

• Getbig V
  • Trueprotein.com 5% discount code= CSP111
« Reply #56 on: November 29, 2007, 12:10:02 PM »
JPM is right about high pulls, power cleans and Olympic cleans.  I definitely feel and see a difference in my traps, upper back and even erectors since doing all of these.  With good nutrition, a 5x5 routine or 3x3 can build muscle IMO.  I don't go nearly as heavy as the elite lifters but my moderate weights with good form are paying dividends. 
Squishy face retard

jpm101

• Getbig IV
« Reply #57 on: November 29, 2007, 01:50:07 PM »
As cap86 suggest, his erectors are developing because they are strongly contracted doing any clean or Hi-pull movement. The Olympic lifters always to seem to have extra thick/dense muscles running along both sides of the spine all the way up to the base of the neck. Plus great posterior delts and of course that style pulling motion places the lateral head of the delts into peak involvement. Butt and hams help also. Could consider doing Hi-pulls/clean with BB'ing rep rather than lower, heavier reps for a new slant of muscular growth. Try GVT doing cleans for at least 6 weeks and watch your whole body grow.

I am an American National, born in a American territory. Though technically a U.S. territory, it is pretty much a self controlled and governed island(s). Though I do not have the right to vote on U.S. soil. Family moved to the mainland when I was ten, after my father died,  on the island. Willowbrook/Long Beach is where we moved first, the home boy neighborhood of Snoop Dog. Did not see too many white folks until moving to north county San Diego. From what I notice, quite a few Americans (black, white, brown or otherwise) have very short attention spans and their problem solving abilities are very poor. Pretty apparent on GetBig for some people who post here. Do not take the effort to think anything out for themselves. Depend on others to do their thinking way too much. And than they ask the same questions over and over again.Too bad. Good luck.
F

The Squadfather

• Getbig V
« Reply #58 on: November 29, 2007, 01:51:34 PM »
so when can we expect to see your picture?

Cap

• Getbig V
  • Trueprotein.com 5% discount code= CSP111
« Reply #59 on: November 29, 2007, 01:56:54 PM »
As cap86 suggest, his erectors are developing because they are strongly contracted doing any clean or Hi-pull movement. The Olympic lifters always to seem to have extra thick/dense muscles running along both sides of the spine all the way up to the base of the neck. Plus great posterior delts and of course that style pulling motion places the lateral head of the delts into peak involvement. Butt and hams help also. Could consider doing Hi-pulls/clean with BB'ing rep rather than lower, heavier reps for a new slant of muscular growth. Try GVT doing cleans for at least 6 weeks and watch your whole body grow.

I have definitely noticed this as well.  No more laterals and bent laterals so far and they are growing faster than with the aforementioned movements.  I love it.  Less is sometimes more and this is certainly the case with full body movements.  Everytime I think about changing because of my old ways, I look at my D1 football buddies and their size and I just stay with what works.  It also helped my front squats jump up quickly (5x5), which I feel is also a good ancillary movement for the bottom portion of my full ROM cleans.  It's nice too with the erectors because injury myself with a 465 deadlift really put a damper on my vacation afterwards. 
Squishy face retard

SirTraps

• Getbig IV
« Reply #60 on: November 29, 2007, 07:38:16 PM »
full reps with 750 pounds huh ? What a bunch of bullshit.  Where did you play football ? we can always look it up.

PANDAEMONIUM

• Getbig V
  • Scourge of the Northern Gods
« Reply #61 on: November 29, 2007, 10:13:29 PM »
the longer it is, the less people are going to read it.

For some reason "jpm" hasn't gotten the hint. :-\

Lucky Lance

• Getbig II
« Reply #62 on: November 30, 2007, 06:26:01 AM »
For some reason "jpm" hasn't gotten the hint. :-\

Nah, he has. 

"Thinking & understanding training styles, for the individual BB'er, requires planned thought process. Too much mental energy for some who come here."

Depends upon what category one falls into: the ones who want to spend a bit of mental energy for reading and learning, or the ones who are too lazy to read past two sentences and because of it places limits on their own progress.  Me?  I'll read what he has to say even if it's a couple of paragraphs long; interesting reading to me.
BTW - "jpm101" - where's the pic?    ;D    (just covering for Squadfather; he might be busy on another thread  ;))

dov

• Getbig IV
« Reply #63 on: November 30, 2007, 03:40:14 PM »
Really?  Oh well, I always give people the benefit of the doubt anyway and don't let others' opinions about certain people affect my own.  If I see a pattern, then I'll come up with my own opinion about him I guess.  I'm pretty much a newbie to the boards, so I don't know everyone's history...  Although I'm a "stand up" kinda guy, I can't expect everyone else to -- especially on an internet board.  But like I said, I always initially give people the benefit of the doubt.
sound like a good guy, LL...i enjoyed your post. Sounds like you have a strict training style..very similar to mine..good luck in the gym

Deadpool

• Getbig V
« Reply #64 on: November 30, 2007, 03:49:30 PM »
I use the 70 lbs dumbells
X

Blockhead

• Toms
  • Getbig V
« Reply #65 on: November 30, 2007, 10:14:33 PM »

I'll warmup with the 100lb db's for 20 reps then grab the 130's for my 1st workset for 15 reps, the 150's for 12-15 reps and that's it because my gym(s) don't have heavier dumbbells.

On the Hammer Strength Shrug Machine...stadning facing towards the machine I wamrup w/ 5 plates a side for 12-15 then it's 7 plates a side for 10-12 for 2 sets.
?

MoralMan

• Getbig III
« Reply #66 on: December 01, 2007, 04:32:57 AM »
3 sets of 20 reps with 1 plate a side, traps have blown up, they never respnded to high weight low reps

Meso_z

• Getbig V
« Reply #67 on: December 05, 2007, 03:33:35 AM »
110 kg (lbs?) x 8 reps works for me with a barbell.
Sometimes i do the 70 dumbells but slow movements.

Emmortal

• Getbig V
« Reply #68 on: December 05, 2007, 10:13:55 AM »
225lbs on the BB high reps.  I'll sometimes do 1 set in between those on the hammer strength with 4 plates just to change things up a little.

ngm21084

• Getbig IV
  • D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F.
« Reply #69 on: December 14, 2007, 07:02:03 AM »
225lbs on the BB high reps.  I'll sometimes do 1 set in between those on the hammer strength with 4 plates just to change things up a little.

what the hell is hammer strength? 

chaos

• Getbig V
  • Ron "There is no freedom of speech here" Avidan
« Reply #70 on: December 14, 2007, 04:34:32 PM »
what the hell is hammer strength? 
Plate loaded machine.

You're welcome, newb.
Liar!!!!Filt!!!!

ngm21084

• Getbig IV
  • D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F.
« Reply #71 on: December 14, 2007, 05:05:15 PM »
never seen one...we have a pretty limited gym here on base, but it is free sooo im not complaining.

chaos

• Getbig V
« Reply #72 on: December 14, 2007, 05:12:32 PM »
never seen one...we have a pretty limited gym here on base, but it is free sooo im not complaining.
Where are you?
Liar!!!!Filt!!!!

ngm21084

• Getbig IV
  • D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F.
« Reply #73 on: December 14, 2007, 05:13:55 PM »
United Kingdom, USAF

chaos

• Getbig V
« Reply #74 on: December 14, 2007, 05:33:28 PM »
United Kingdom, USAF
Find yourself a good gym when you come home and make good use of the hammer strength.

Where you from in the US?
Liar!!!!Filt!!!!