Author Topic: Interesting interaction today at the Winn Dixie.  (Read 9768 times)

Agnostic007

• Getbig V
Interesting interaction today at the Winn Dixie.
« on: June 18, 2019, 09:27:31 PM »
I was pushing my cart down the aisle of a supermarket today when a woman stopped me in passing and handed me about a 4" by 7" white card that started out with "Jesus Loves You". As she handed it to me she said "Jesus Loves You" I took a second to look at it, realized it was a Christian religious pamphlet and thinking that I didn't want her to waste something on me I was not going to read I smiled and said "Thanks but you can have it back"  and handed it to her. She acted like I had just called her a whore. As I walked away her look stuck in my mind... and I wondered if I should have just taken it and tossed it when she wasn't looking.

AbrahamG

• Getbig V
  • Team Pfizer
Re: Interesting interaction today at the Winn Dixie.
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2019, 09:58:19 PM »
I was pushing my cart down the aisle of a supermarket today when a woman stopped me in passing and handed me about a 4" by 7" white card that started out with "Jesus Loves You". As she handed it to me she said "Jesus Loves You" I took a second to look at it, realized it was a Christian religious pamphlet and thinking that I didn't want her to waste something on me I was not going to read I smiled and said "Thanks but you can have it back"  and handed it to her. She acted like I had just called her a whore. As I walked away her look stuck in my mind... and I wondered if I should have just taken it and tossed it when she wasn't looking.

Wonder what she'd have done if I walked past her at Winn Dixie and handed her a pocket size Quran or Hadith?  Would she have been as courteous to me as you were to her?

IroNat

• Getbig V
  • Time you enjoy wasting, was not wasted.
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2019, 04:57:52 AM »

Yep, that's what you should have done.

These people are usually either mentally ill, recovered drug addicts, or recovering from some traumatic life experience, etc.

Not worth having an altercation with.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2019, 02:48:22 PM »
You mean you haven't experienced this countless times in your life?  Why is this newsworthy?  It happens to me all the time.  Sometimes I take them (and later toss them).  Mostly I decline.  Takes about 2 seconds of my time. 

Agnostic007

• Getbig V
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2019, 09:14:25 PM »
You mean you haven't experienced this countless times in your life?  Why is this newsworthy?  It happens to me all the time.  Sometimes I take them (and later toss them).  Mostly I decline.  Takes about 2 seconds of my time. 

I guess, had I experienced it as much as you have, I wouldn't have mentioned it. But I didn't and I did.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2019, 01:55:37 PM »
I guess, had I experienced it as much as you have, I wouldn't have mentioned it. But I didn't and I did.

I'm not ragging on you for posting it.  You can obviously post whatever you want.  Just seems hard to believe most people haven't been approached by folks trying to hand them something on the street multiple times over the course of their lives. 

Agnostic007

• Getbig V
« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2019, 03:00:46 PM »
I'm not ragging on you for posting it.  You can obviously post whatever you want.  Just seems hard to believe most people haven't been approached by folks trying to hand them something on the street multiple times over the course of their lives. 

Ok, cool. I have had one or  two instances of pamphlets being handed out on a street corner in a tourist spot like 6th st Austin. But never anywhere outside of that, like a grocery store. Just seemed odd to me.

IroNat

• Getbig V
  • Time you enjoy wasting, was not wasted.
« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2019, 05:54:49 PM »
Ok, cool. I have had one or  two instances of pamphlets being handed out on a street corner in a tourist spot like 6th st Austin. But never anywhere outside of that, like a grocery store. Just seemed odd to me.

It is odd.

She's probably a new member of her cult.

Agnostic007

• Getbig V
« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2019, 07:48:07 PM »
It is odd.

She's probably a new member of her cult.

could be . And again, the thing that was odd to me that sparked me to post about it was not so much she handed it to me, but the insulted or degrading look she gave me when I politely handed it back. My intention was to save her money printing as I would only toss it in the trash. But her look when I politely handed it back kind of underscored what is wrong with the religion.