Author Topic: Forget Vitamins?  (Read 5797 times)

loco

• Getbig V
  • loco like a fox
Re: Forget Vitamins?
« Reply #25 on: December 12, 2006, 01:31:01 PM »
Cool I get it now

You get what exactly? 

Judith DeCarva, the woman who says "do NOT take vitamin supplements" is a fraud.

Linus Pauling, the man who says "Do take lots of cheap vitamin C pills throughout the day for better health" is a well known American quantum chemist and biochemist, and the only person to win two unshared Nobel prizes.  The man lived 93 years.

MidniteRambo

• Getbig IV
  • 1687 confirmed kills and counting
« Reply #26 on: December 12, 2006, 02:09:21 PM »
You get what exactly? 

Judith DeCarva, the woman who says "do NOT take vitamin supplements" is a fraud.

Linus Pauling, the man who says "Do take lots of cheap vitamin C pills throughout the day for better health" is a well known American quantum chemist and biochemist, and the only person to win two unshared Nobel prizes.  The man lived 93 years.

Not worth your time Loco.  These people are cult-like fanatics, not much different than the Hare Krishnas hanging out at the airport.  They're not succeptible to reason and view everything that contradicts their views as a conspiracy.

Let me guess, his next post will still fail to respond substantively to your point and instead he'll lash out with some lame platitude.

xpac2

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #27 on: December 12, 2006, 02:38:59 PM »
Not worth your time Loco.  These people are cult-like fanatics, not much different than the Hare Krishnas hanging out at the airport.  They're not succeptible to reason and view everything that contradicts their views as a conspiracy.
pot...meet kettle.

Keep wasting your money. Fools and their money are soon parted anyways  ;D

Dr. D

• Getbig III
  • Vince and Derek: Match made in GetBig Heaven!
« Reply #28 on: December 12, 2006, 03:29:26 PM »
Apparently, the author of that book is a fraud:

"DeCava's writings also include The Real Truth About Vitamins and Antioxidants, an anti-immunization book, and a newsletter for professionals who prescribed NutriPlex products. Various biographical sketches have included "CNC, PhD" after her name and described her as: a "nutritional counselor" who served for many years as chief consultant for R. Murray & Associates; a "regular writer" for the Institute of Practical Biochemistry; and executive vice president of the Biomedical Health Foundation. "CNC" stands for Certified Nutritional Consultant, a dubious credential obtainable for $150 plus passage of an open-book examination."

QuackWatch
Your Guide to Quackery, Health Fraud, and Intelligent Decisions
http://www.quackwatch.org/04ConsumerEducation/Nonrecorg/narb.html

Anyone outed on quckwatch, are the people that the allopathatic medical society fear. It is easy to call someone a quack if they don't fall into the allopathatic approach. Regardless, unless you understand how nutrients actual work, the requirements for each individual biochemical needs and the how nutrients and minerals can cancel each other out, you are just pissing your money away on commercial vitamins. Yet, to each is own.

MidniteRambo

• Getbig IV
« Reply #29 on: December 12, 2006, 03:48:18 PM »
Anyone outed on quckwatch, are the people that the allopathatic medical society fear. It is easy to call someone a quack if they don't fall into the allopathatic approach. Regardless, unless you understand how nutrients actual work, the requirements for each individual biochemical needs and the how nutrients and minerals can cancel each other out, you are just pissing your money away on commercial vitamins. Yet, to each is own.

Well I guess I should pay the $150, take an open book exam and then I too, like Decava, will have the credentials to "understand how nutrients actual [sic] work."

Dr. D

• Getbig III
  • Vince and Derek: Match made in GetBig Heaven!
« Reply #30 on: December 12, 2006, 04:05:20 PM »
Well I guess I should pay the $150, take an open book exam and then I too, like Decava, will have the credentials to "understand how nutrients actual [sic] work."

You don't need too. Plenty of info out there to find out on your own.

MidniteRambo

• Getbig IV
« Reply #31 on: December 12, 2006, 04:11:17 PM »
Anyone outed on quckwatch, are the people that the allopathatic medical society fear.

Now I know what these Whole Food cultists remind me of.  See “The Heart Attack” in Seinfeld (Episode 13, 1991):

“George thinks he is having a heart attack but actually needs a tonsillectomy, leading Kramer to recommend a holistic healer as a cheaper alternative. Jerry warns George that the person Kramer is recommending had spent time in prison ("The medical establishment, see, they tried to frame him," explains Kramer. "It's all politics.") and that he should be treated by a licensed doctor in a hospital. After comparing the cost of an expensive operation in the hospital, and the holistic treatment he would receive, he decides to go with Kramer's advice.

When George meets the holistic healer, Tor, with Kramer and Jerry (who states that he is here only for comic material), he performs a number of unorthodox methods to determine George's real ailment, which he concludes has nothing to do with his tonsils, but with his imbalance with nature. Tor then concocts a tea that would remove his ailment, also prescribing that George take cold showers. George starts drinking the tea, and in the next scene he is shown being transported by ambulance with a purple face, screaming.”

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Heart_Attack

xpac2

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #32 on: December 12, 2006, 04:25:43 PM »
Wow I can't believe that you are using a 90's sitcom to back up your arguments  ::)

MidniteRambo

• Getbig IV
« Reply #33 on: December 12, 2006, 06:01:31 PM »
Wow I can't believe that you are using a 90's sitcom to back up your arguments  ::)

Funny, I don't remember you presenting any argument, much less providing backup for it.  Anyways, it was for humorous purposes, Loco already handed you your a** on the substance for all to witness.  Now we're just laughing at you.

xpac2

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #34 on: December 12, 2006, 06:17:34 PM »
Funny, I don't remember you presenting any argument, much less providing backup for it.  Anyways, it was for humorous purposes, Loco already handed you your a** on the substance for all to witness.  Now we're just laughing at you.

Ok "MidniteRambo"  ::)

loco

• Getbig V
  • loco like a fox
« Reply #35 on: December 13, 2006, 06:27:08 AM »

Hey, I'm an open minded guy.  I actually wanted to read the book you recommended, but I found that it was out of print, had only one review on Amazon.com and when I did a search on the author, that's all I could find...that she is a fraud. 

I believe that moderation is key.  No supplements at all is too extreme.  Mega doses of supplements, or "replacing" whole foods with supplements is too extreme as well.  I have grown up eating healthy and I still do eat healthy today, but when I added supplements to "supplement" my already healthy diet, my health improved significantly.  I used to waste more money on doctor visits and prescription medicine than I "waste" money now on "snake oil".  And my "expensive pee" is beneficial.

I gain muscle easily, naturally.  Unfortunately, I also gain fat easily, so I can't consume large amounts of whole foods to meet the same nutrition requirements that I meet today by adding supplements to my diet.  Supplements are convenient too.  Convenience is key in sticking to a healthy life style.

MidniteRambo

• Getbig IV
« Reply #36 on: December 13, 2006, 07:45:13 AM »
Hey, I'm an open minded guy.  I actually wanted to read the book you recommended, but I found that it was out of print, had only one review on Amazon.com and when I did a search on the author, that's all I could find...that she is a fraud. 

I believe that moderation is key.  No supplements at all is too extreme.  Mega doses of supplements, or "replacing" whole foods with supplements is too extreme as well.  I have grown up eating healthy and I still do eat healthy today, but when I added supplements to my diet to "supplement" my already healthy diet, my health improved significantly.  I used to waste more money on doctor visits and prescription medicine than I "waste" money now on "snake oil".  And my "expensive pee" is beneficial.

I gain muscle easily, naturally.  Unfortunately, I also gain fat easily, so I can't consume large amounts of whole foods to meet the same nutrition requirements that I meet today by adding supplements to my diet.  Supplements are convenient too.  Convenience is key in sticking to a healthy life style.

I appreciate your even-handed approach and I'm sure I look heavy-handed by comparison.  But when someone comes out and labels entire industries "scams" (and by implication, all who work in them "scam artists"), and attacks all (not just some) supplements as "snake oil," the people who take them "fools" and defends "quacks" on the basis they're being persecuted by a conspiracy of the "allopathic medical society," they really aren't entitled to any deference or respect.

loco

• Getbig V
  • loco like a fox
« Reply #37 on: December 13, 2006, 08:25:15 AM »

I appreciate your even-handed approach and I'm sure I look heavy-handed by comparison.  But when someone comes out and labels entire industries "scams" (and by implication, all who work in them "scam artists"), and attacks all (not just some) supplements as "snake oil," the people who take them "fools" and defends "quacks" on the basis they're being persecuted by a conspiracy of the "allopathic medical society," they really aren't entitled to any deference or respect.

And I apprciate your heavy-handed approach.  You have some good posts, here and in other threads.