Author Topic: Do supplements work or are they bull?  (Read 37664 times)

YoungBlood

• Getbig V
  • Weee!
Re: Do supplements work or are they bull?
« Reply #25 on: April 11, 2009, 10:50:42 AM »
I would much rather eat a steak or have cottage cheese over a protein shake. Any day of the week, all day.

But I can't with my schedule. I can't sit down to eat a can of tuna, or prepare a steak at any hour of the day.

So for me having protein shakes are convenience, necessity, and possibly most importantly an insurance or peace of mind for me that I'm getting something rather than missing a meal altogether.

The theory that I have, forgive the example, is Greg Kovacs in his early MMI "articles/ads..."

"I would rather skip a workout than a meal. With a workout you can make it up at a later date. When you skip a meal you have to start the process over again and that can hinder your progress."

wavelength

• Getbig V
  • ~~~
« Reply #26 on: April 11, 2009, 10:50:53 AM »
Most people in shape also don't care much about supplements sold over the counter.  BELIEVE IT OR NOT, you can get an AMAZING physique with just (A) Proper Diet (B) Proper protein intake (C) Taking a daily multivitamin (D) Workouts consisting of cardiovascular exercises along with weight lifting and (E) Proper Rest.

Excellent post as well although I don't think (C) and (D1) are essential.

OneMoreRep

• Getbig V
« Reply #27 on: April 11, 2009, 10:56:48 AM »
Excellent post as well although I don't think (C) and (D1) are essential.

Well, it is true that if you have a proper diet, most of the vitamins and minerals found in a multivitamin can be accounted for by the food consumed, but, in reality, we don't "always" take in the right meals (regardless of how low in fat/calories they might be) that contain all essential vitamins and minerals, so taking a multivitamin can be useful in the long run. 

Depending on your age, rate of metabolism and present bodyfat levels, an exercise regimen that consists of both cardio and weight lifting might work best.  Again, if you have low bodyfat levels due to your genetic makeup (Mesomorphs) or just have a fast metabolism in general, then you can, at times, skip out on the need for cardio..

"1"

wavelength

• Getbig V
  • ~~~
« Reply #28 on: April 11, 2009, 11:01:50 AM »
Well, it is true that if you have a proper diet, most of the vitamins and minerals found in a multivitamin can be accounted for by the food consumed, but, in reality, we don't "always" take in the right meals (regardless of how low in fat/calories they might be) that contain all essential vitamins and minerals, so taking a multivitamin can be useful in the long run. 

Depending on your age, rate of metabolism and present bodyfat levels, an exercise regimen that consists of both cardio and weight lifting might work best.  Again, if you have low bodyfat levels due to your genetic makeup (Mesomorphs) or just have a fast metabolism in general, then you can, at times, skip out on the need for cardio..

I think cardio is a tool of convenience. Regardless of age, metabolism, and bodyfat, reducing calories will have the same effect on body composition as doing cardio as long as rate of weight loss is maintained in both cases and protein stays high enough. At least I don't know of studies that would prove otherwise.

YoungBlood

• Getbig V
  • Weee!
« Reply #29 on: April 11, 2009, 11:06:45 AM »
I think cardio is a tool of convenience. Regardless of age, metabolism, and bodyfat, reducing calories will have the same effect on body composition as doing cardio as long as rate of weight loss is maintained in both cases and protein stays high enough. At least I don't know of studies that would prove otherwise.

I prefer to keep my calories constant, while upping my duration of cardio. When you lower calories, I think you risk losing more than just weight/fat. I'd rather feed the muscle, make sure it has it's calories needed to recover & grow, and then use the cardio to create the deficit needed to whittle away the unwanted love handles. (simplistic approach/explanation).

wavelength

• Getbig V
  • ~~~
« Reply #30 on: April 11, 2009, 11:09:52 AM »
I prefer to keep my calories constant, while upping my duration of cardio. When you lower calories, I think you risk losing more than just weight/fat. I'd rather feed the muscle, make sure it has it's calories needed to recover & grow, and then use the cardio to create the deficit needed to whittle away the unwanted love handles. (simplistic approach/explanation).

In my experience, there is no significant difference as long as protein is high enough and weight training stays intense. I actually did slightly better without cardio. But I agree that many people will have an easier time sticking to a diet higher in calories and working them off again.

Palpatine Q

• Getbig V
  • Disdain/repugnance....Version 3: glare variation B
« Reply #31 on: April 11, 2009, 11:23:45 AM »
GH 15 ....do you consider PH's a steroid ?

FREAKgeek

• Getbig V
  • Fan of the Golden Era
« Reply #32 on: April 11, 2009, 11:26:15 AM »
Glutamine gives me morning wood and weird dreams, at least it did something.

affeman

• Getbig V
  • Rusty Trombone looks like an abortion in a thong
« Reply #33 on: April 11, 2009, 11:30:59 AM »
Nuff said. Who still buys supplements after having watched this is beyond helped.

haider

• Getbig V
  • Team Batman Squats
« Reply #34 on: April 11, 2009, 11:34:30 AM »

Protein powder (or a protein/carb blend) as a convenient meal replacement is fine, but it's really just another food.  Asking if protein powder "works" is kind of like asking if steak "works".

Many health-promoting supplements, like fish oil, antioxidants, and several others have value for health or disease-prevention, but are totally worthless for body-composition changes.

Ephedrine/caffeine was effective as a weight-loss aid (mostly because it suppresses appetite), but most "fat burner" supplements sold today do not contain ephedrine.

Creatine causes water retention and adds water weight to the scale, but has little to do with real body composition changes and muscle to fat ratio.

Everything else out there is pure unadulterated snake oil.

"Veteran bodybuilders" use supplements because they are paid to by their supplement-selling sponsors.

So, I stand by my original statement:  The only "supplements" that produce any measurable changes in body composition are injectable testosterone and human growth hormone.
you just pwned the fvck out of Ron  ;D
follow the arrows

Rami

• Getbig V
  • One Hundred Percent
« Reply #35 on: April 11, 2009, 11:40:02 AM »
How many getbiggers wasted money on supplements. i spent a fortune on them when i was younger before i realised it was all bullshit.  >:(

They even anti-work.

tbombz

• Getbig V
  • Psalms 150
« Reply #36 on: April 11, 2009, 12:33:18 PM »

Creatine causes water retention and adds water weight to the scale, but has little to do with real body composition changes and muscle to fat ratio.

Creatine does more than just increase water retention in muscle. But even if that was the only thing it did, hydrated muscle cells are much more anabolic and lipolytic than lesser hydrated muscle cells.

GH 15 ....do you consider PH's a steroid ?
he has said before that m1t is better than dbol.  "prohormone" is a term used for steroids that arent illegal yet. they are steroids, 100%.

andreisdaman

• Getbig V
« Reply #37 on: April 11, 2009, 01:03:41 PM »
Most veteran bodybuilders don't use supplements at all.  The only time an IFBB pro uses/consumes a supplement (Besides Protein powder) is when, as Goatboy mentioned, their sponsors tell them it's part of their contract to do so in the open public or while taking part in videos of interviews (i.e. SEE SPONSORED ATHLETE KEEPING A CONTAINER OF PROTEIN AND CREATINE NEXT TO THE MICROWAVE OR FRIDGE).

Most people in shape also don't care much about supplements sold over the counter.  BELIEVE IT OR NOT, you can get an AMAZING physique with just (A) Proper Diet (B) Proper protein intake (C) Taking a daily multivitamin (D) Workouts consisting of cardiovascular exercises along with weight lifting and (E) Proper Rest.

I've been making posts like this for a while and been vilified for it...most supps don't work...and they are a waste of money.....
That's it folks, nothing more to it.  There is no secret to this shit and it's sad that supplement companies keep selling these kids garbage that 95% of the time doesn't work, but 100% of the time does give the liver and kidneys a large amount of work to do by way of metabolizing and excreting the junk.

For those of you who are young and wide-eyed, stay away from supplements..
"1"

Bossa

• Getbig IV
  • Is that Bossa it must be, I heard he husky
« Reply #38 on: April 11, 2009, 01:28:50 PM »
Protein powder doesn't really work its just a convenient way to get extra protein in your diet

Creatine makes me gain a ton of water weight...my hands, feet, face get super swollen...I don't know if it causes any muscle gain other than retaining that extra water makes you stronger

When dieting I find I don't get colds as much when i take glutamine but that could all be in my head

the rest are a waste of money

Necrosis

• Getbig V
« Reply #39 on: April 11, 2009, 02:56:42 PM »

Protein powder (or a protein/carb blend) as a convenient meal replacement is fine, but it's really just another food.  Asking if protein powder "works" is kind of like asking if steak "works".

Many health-promoting supplements, like fish oil, antioxidants, and several others have value for health or disease-prevention, but are totally worthless for body-composition changes.

Ephedrine/caffeine was effective as a weight-loss aid (mostly because it suppresses appetite), but most "fat burner" supplements sold today do not contain ephedrine.

Everything else out there is pure unadulterated snake oil.

"Veteran bodybuilders" use supplements because they are paid to by their supplement-selling sponsors.

So, I stand by my original statement:  The only "supplements" that produce any measurable changes in body composition are injectable testosterone and human growth hormone.

Wrong... creatine increases energy stores, strength ... many studies to back it up

fish oil has helath benefits, mood benefits and increases fatty acid oxidation. I wouldn't take advice from anyone on nutrition or supplementation that has little knowledge in the area. Im not directiing that at you but alot of armchair experts on here claim this and that when studies can prove them wrong. Alot of good companies out there with lab results to back up there claims.

WiseGuy

• Getbig IV
« Reply #40 on: April 11, 2009, 03:06:56 PM »
Considering that most veteran bodybuilders use supplements, and most people who are in shape use supplements, your statement is embarassing.

Some supplements do not work, that is true, but many do.  For people on the go, protein shakes, powders, various supplements work.   

Using something that sounds strange, looks strange and has not been tested might not work for everyone, especially one who things they can take a supplement, and lose weight or get in shape right away.

Give me a break  ::)  ..... supps are a waste of money...they only thing they do for sure is make the supp companies ceo's rich. you either can go natty and eat a whole food diet and be in great shape or juice like the pros and take supps and pretend that the supps are what made you huge.... Ron what is embarrassing is you towing the supp companies /weider line that has been ripping people off for what the last 25 years?

save your money people!

:D

Method101

• Getbig V
« Reply #41 on: April 11, 2009, 03:13:56 PM »
I buy dextrose and whey protein from www.myprotein.co.uk ...

It's cheaper and easier than taking a chicken breast and gatorade.

wavelength

• Getbig V
  • ~~~
« Reply #42 on: April 11, 2009, 03:14:51 PM »
Creatine has a small effect on some people, oils and protein powder are not supplements, they are food. Food has many benefits, no doubt about it.

We are talking about "proprietary blends" with "patents pending" that provide 156.453% muscle cell volumization and 127.32% muscle growth amplification.

Method101

• Getbig V
« Reply #43 on: April 11, 2009, 03:17:05 PM »
Creatine has a small effect on some people, oils and protein powder are not supplements, they are food. Food has many benefits, no doubt about it.

We are talking about "proprietary blends" with "patents pending" that provide 156.453% muscle cell volumization and 127.32% muscle growth amplification.
Strong nitric oxide supplements improve my erections very noticibly.
Creatine never really did shit for me.

ASJChaotic

« Reply #44 on: April 11, 2009, 03:17:07 PM »
Food has many benefits, no doubt about it.

;D

wavelength

• Getbig V
  • ~~~
« Reply #45 on: April 11, 2009, 03:26:22 PM »
Strong nitric oxide supplements improve my erections very noticibly.
Creatine never really did shit for me.

That's interesting but does it improve body composition on any other part of your body?

G o a t b o y

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
  • Time-Out in Dubai, India with Swampi the Cocksmith
« Reply #46 on: April 11, 2009, 03:31:35 PM »
you just pwned the fvck out of Ron  ;D

Oh shit, I'm headed to time-out for sure!  :o

;D
Ron: "I am lazy."

G o a t b o y

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
  • Time-Out in Dubai, India with Swampi the Cocksmith
« Reply #47 on: April 11, 2009, 03:37:33 PM »
Wrong... creatine increases energy stores, strength ... many studies to back it up

But it doesn't make any significant difference in body composition, which is what I said:

fish oil has helath benefits

I'm pretty sure I said that:

Ron: "I am lazy."

ASJChaotic

« Reply #48 on: April 11, 2009, 03:41:57 PM »

Oh shit, I'm headed to time-out for sure!  :o

;D

I'll make sure to send you Goat Whey and rally for your freedom while you're in timeout Goatboy ;D

Method101

• Getbig V
« Reply #49 on: April 11, 2009, 04:09:47 PM »
That's interesting but does it improve body composition on any other part of your body?
well, it gives you a better pump in the gym and better errection, you can get l-arginine pretty cheap, don't need anything fancy, and it's worth it ocassionally for the better pump and errection lol.