Getbig Bodybuilding Boards > Nutrition, Products & Supplements Info

Low-carb diet dangers.

<< < (2/5) > >>

Montague:

--- Quote from: Purge_WTF on February 01, 2018, 06:53:29 PM --- Thanks for the detailed post, Montague. I just ordered a container of Dr. Berg’s Electrolyte Powder off Amazon; that should help.

From what I've read, it's ketosis that causes potential electrolyte problems. Will I be "safer" if I consumed 100 or so carbs?

--- End quote ---

Can you post one or two links to these claims?
Only if it’s handy; don’t go out of your way. I was just curious about the details.

I’ve conducted quite a bit of personal research on nutritional ketosis - including risks/side effects - and I don’t recall coming across anything about electrolyte deficiencies.
I’m not saying it isn’t legitimate, but I wonder if it’s maybe one of those things that only affects a comparatively small percentage of people and/or under rare circumstances.

Regardless, 50-100 grams of carbs daily can often be considered “low-carb.”
My own opinion is that low carb diets benefit everyone.
Maybe consider adding a bit of carbs AND a bit of electrolytes together.

Personally (and, again, this is just me doing my thing), I would favor utilizing supplemental forms of electrolytes rather than consuming carbs for our purposes. There’s even quite a few exogenous ketone salt products now that can spike the body’s ketone levels while providing some sodium. That’s a nice one-two punch! Some formulas even contain various other ingredients. I’m very fond of the benefits moderate-high level ketosis provides.

I suspect this is one of those matters for which there are no right or wrong answers, or good or bad answers. Everyone's different, and could easily and likely respond differently to the same thing. The idea is finding what works best for you.

calfzilla:

--- Quote from: Purge_WTF on February 01, 2018, 06:53:29 PM --- Thanks for the detailed post, Montague. I just ordered a container of Dr. Berg’s Electrolyte Powder off Amazon; that should help.

From what I've read, it's ketosis that causes potential electrolyte problems. Will I be "safer" if I consumed 100 or so carbs?

--- End quote ---

To me 100 grams is not low carb. Dr Berg is a good source watch his videos if haven't already. Make sure to take in plenty of salt and other vegetables containing magnesium and potassium. I imagine the electrolyte powder will help. Good luck.

Montague:

--- Quote from: TheGrinch on February 01, 2018, 06:55:43 PM ---
Actually ..... its HIGH FAT diets = cancer

http://www.iflscience.com/health-and-medicine/scientists-discover-how-high-fat-diets-can-cause-cancer/

https://www.eurekalert.org/pub_releases/2016-03/dci-seh030116.php

--- End quote ---

Thanks for posting these links. I love reading about stuff like this, and I was unaware of these specific effects of high dietary fat intake. I hope they devote some more research to this matter. We NEED to better understand this subject.

Here’s an interesting correlation that your post got me thinking about:

--- Quote ---So not only is this high-fat diet increasing the number of stem cells, and therefore the number of target cells that can accumulate cancer-driving mutations, but it also increases the pool of cells that can undergo tumor formation, Yilmaz explained.
--- End quote ---

This conclusion suggests to me that high fat consumption can increase the number of cells that have potential to mutate into cancer, but it doesn’t directly cause the full mutation of them.

Conversely, glycolytic cancer cells such as those found in glioblastoma thrive on carbohydrates, as glycogen is a tremendous fuel source for them. These cells cannot, however, metabolize ketones very efficiently at all, and there are studies now indicating that a ketogenic diet can in essence “metabolically starve” these cells, weakening them.

Ketones also have the ability to increase the sensitivity of many tumor tissues to the efficacy of anti-cancer agents, while increasing healthy cells’ protection against the toxicity of chemo drugs.

I’m now seeing the catch-22…

Dietary fat increases the number of potentially problematic cells.
Carbs fuel the growth of the mutated cells.

This is why we need more research on these matters.
Unfortunately, it’s very difficult for places to get funding to conduct studies on metabolic therapies. Pharmaceutical companies don’t stand to make any money from a particular "diet," so why fund researching them?

Purge_WTF:
https://ketodietapp.com/Blog/post/2013/04/16/Keto-flu-and-Sufficient-Intake-of-Electrolytes

elmerhoff:
I also think we need more research on these matters.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version