Author Topic: Senator Collins will vote to confirm Judge Kavanaugh  (Read 9340 times)

Kwon3

Re: Senator Collins will vote to confirm Judge Kavanaugh
« Reply #25 on: October 05, 2018, 03:56:30 PM »
yeah, god forbid white women actually keep their children and take the abortion clinic off speed dial on their iphones
while blacks, arabs and hispanics have families of 6-10 kids
ya, let's willingly commit cultural and racial genocide
the Left's been dreaming of that for 75 years

Moontrane

• Getbig V
  • a Harris administration, together with Joe Biden
« Reply #26 on: October 05, 2018, 04:08:04 PM »
the vote of any future nominee won't change the fact we have two conservatives who couldn't even get to 60 votes

BTW - I'm looking forward to the SCOTUS overturning Roe v Wade

It's going to more fun that watching Republican dipishits who voted for Trump suddenly wake up and realize they might lose their  Obamacare

Also going to fun watching Republicans getting illegal abortions for their mistresses

And of course going to be very fun hearing the excuses from people like Collins

When Rove v. Wade was decided, 70% of American women had access to legal abortions.  If it's overturned, abortion rights would be decided by the states, as they were before 1973.  A few states might ban all abortions - but only a few.  

Then the left would demand that companies, sports teams, etc. in those states leave or face perennial boycotts and harassment.  Imagine life in those states without Starbucks, McDonald's, Holiday Inn, or Apple stores; no home NBA, NHL, or NFL teams.   :'(

Recall what happened to Arizona for refusing to acknowledge MLK Day as a Federal holiday.  And that was just a holiday!

Overturning Roe v. Wade would thrill conservatives and horrify the left, but not much would actually change.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
« Reply #27 on: October 05, 2018, 04:14:30 PM »
I just finished listening to Senator Collins speech. IMO she provided a very detailed and convincing explanation as to how and why she will be voting in favor of Judge Kavanaugh's appointment to the Supreme Court. I am impressed with her sincere presentation. She did and excellent job of positively acknowledging Christine Blaisey Ford's personal sacrifice and honesty.

If I lived in Maine and had voted for Senator Collins, I would be feeling good about that choice right now. If more congress people regardless of their being Republican or Democrat spoke as well as she did today, congress might regain the respect of the people of the United States.

I agree.

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
« Reply #28 on: October 05, 2018, 04:58:56 PM »
When Rove v. Wade was decided, 70% of American women had access to legal abortions.  If it's overturned, abortion rights would be decided by the states, as they were before 1973.  A few states might ban all abortions - but only a few.  

Then the left would demand that companies, sports teams, etc. in those states leave or face perennial boycotts and harassment.  Imagine life in those states without Starbucks, McDonald's, Holiday Inn, or Apple stores; no home NBA, NHL, or NFL teams.   :'(

Recall what happened to Arizona for refusing to acknowledge MLK Day as a Federal holiday.  And that was just a holiday!

Overturning Roe v. Wade would thrill conservatives and horrify the left, but not much would actually change.

When you say "when Roe was decided" are you referring to before or after Roe v Wade that 70% of US women had access to legal abortion

Where is that figure from ?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Abortion_in_the_United_States

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #29 on: October 05, 2018, 05:25:26 PM »

Then the left would demand that companies, sports teams, etc. in those states leave or face perennial boycotts and harassment.  Imagine life in those states without Starbucks, McDonald's, Holiday Inn, or Apple stores; no home NBA, NHL, or NFL teams.   :'(

Exactly.

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
Re: Senator Murkowsk will vote against confirming Judge Kavanaugh
« Reply #30 on: October 05, 2018, 05:29:27 PM »
In an equally impressive speech, Senator Murkowski announced she will be voting no tomorrow on Judge Kavanaugh's confirmation. Although her speech was just as impassioned as Senator Collins' speech was, hers seemed very much from the heart and an improvised personal expression of why she believes she cannot confirm the judge.

These are two Republican senators with opposing votes who are not at loggerheads with one another. What a rarity today among politicians. Both senators are outstanding people, IMO. Based on today's actions, both would have my vote were it possible.

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #31 on: October 05, 2018, 05:46:32 PM »
It is not possible to know if or when Roe v Wade will be overturned. Regardless of what happens, thoughtful and intelligent folks will plan their family's size taking whatever precautions legally available to them to do so. Long before Roe v Wade this was the case and it will continue to be so.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #32 on: October 05, 2018, 05:53:28 PM »
It is not possible to know if or when Roe v Wade will be overturned. Regardless of what happens, thoughtful and intelligent folks will plan their family's size taking whatever precautions legally available to them to do so. Long before Roe v Wade this was the case and it will continue to be so.

Point is if Roe is overturned abortion doesn’t become outlawed.  The issue gets returned to the states.

chaos

• Getbig V
  • Ron "There is no freedom of speech here" Avidan
« Reply #33 on: October 05, 2018, 06:14:41 PM »
I'm open to that and there are probably online escrow type services available

We'd have to define "overturn".  

I think it will get challenged over and over and get chipped away and probably wind up getting pushed back on the states

That would also be fine with me.  Let all the red states outlaw it and then they can deal with the consequences.   This has already happened to some extent in states where they've greatly limited access.  The results are more unwanted pregnancies, more unwanted children and more cost to the states.
Start of changing the target.
Liar!!!!Filt!!!!

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
« Reply #34 on: October 05, 2018, 06:50:30 PM »
Start of changing the target.

hey man, if you want to be part of this bet that's fine by me

If you're stupid enough to bet without specifically defining the terms that's your problem

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
« Reply #35 on: October 05, 2018, 06:52:27 PM »
Point is if Roe is overturned abortion doesn’t become outlawed.  The issue gets returned to the states.

that's when the fun starts

Red State Trumptards who want abortions will suddenly be screaming and asking WTF happened.

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
« Reply #36 on: October 05, 2018, 06:53:45 PM »
Try to keep in mind that the Trumptard said he would only appoint judges who would overturn Roe v. Wade

Of course Trump is a proven pathological liar so maybe he was lying about that too

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #37 on: October 05, 2018, 06:55:22 PM »
Point is if Roe is overturned abortion doesn’t become outlawed.  The issue gets returned to the states.

Which will have the ability to outlaw it. Not that state laws will go back to what they were, but what if they did? The price of metal coat hangers will sky rocket.

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
« Reply #38 on: October 05, 2018, 07:06:03 PM »
Which will have the ability to outlaw it. Not that state laws will go back to what they were, but what if they did? The price of metal coat hangers will sky rocket.

and which states do you think will outlaw it

My guess is that it won't be California, New York, Oregon etc..

It will be the red states

Your joke about coat hangers is hilarious.  I'm sure it will be even funnier when woman in red states start to die from illegal abortions.

BTW - fundies aren't going to be satisfied when it goes back to the states.  They will then start the campaign to make it illegal in the entire country.  It probably won't work but you'd have to be crazy to think they would be satisfied being a state issue. 

Irongrip400

• Getbig V
  • Pan Germanism, Pax Britannica
« Reply #39 on: October 05, 2018, 07:11:36 PM »

Your joke about coat hangers is hilarious.  I'm sure it will be even funnier when woman in red states start to die from illegal abortions.

BTW - fundies aren't going to be satisfied when it goes back to the states.  They will then start the campaign to make it illegal in the entire country.  It probably won't work but you'd have to be crazy to think they would be satisfied being a state issue. 

You sound foolish.  Take me up on my bet.

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
« Reply #40 on: October 05, 2018, 07:17:54 PM »
You sound foolish.  Take me up on my bet.

what part of my post do you disagree with

define the bet

Moontrane

• Getbig V
  • a Harris administration, together with Joe Biden
« Reply #41 on: October 05, 2018, 07:21:44 PM »
When you say "when Roe was decided" are you referring to before or after Roe v Wade that 70% of US women had access to legal abortion

Where is that figure from ?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Abortion_in_the_United_States

Sorry I wasn't clear.  Before Roe v. Wade 70% of US women had access to legal abortion.  I don't have a direct link to the stat, but if you look at the map you pasted, the green and yellow states are on the east and west coasts, with the highest population densities.

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #42 on: October 05, 2018, 07:29:37 PM »

That coat hanger "joke" was not intended to be funny. Just as it's not funny when dead babies are found in dumpsters. Thank goodness I live in Oregon where the majority of people and much of the legislature acts rationally.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #43 on: October 05, 2018, 07:32:49 PM »

That’s alarmist nonsense.  I doubt most states will outlaw abortion entirely.   I think by and large we would see the kinds reasonable restrictions that most Americans support. 

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #44 on: October 05, 2018, 07:38:26 PM »
That’s alarmist nonsense.  I doubt most states will outlaw abortion entirely.   I think by and large we would see the kinds reasonable restrictions that most Americans support. 

Let's hope you are right. Which restrictions on abortion do you believe are reasonable and why are they?

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #45 on: October 05, 2018, 07:45:47 PM »
Let's hope you are right. Which restrictions on abortion do you believe are reasonable and why are they?

Third trimester abortions, partial birth abortion, parental notification of minors, eugenics, etc.

SOMEPARTS

• Getbig V
« Reply #46 on: October 05, 2018, 07:50:58 PM »

Statists don't recognize that individual states can make their own laws so this point is lost on them.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #47 on: October 05, 2018, 07:53:34 PM »

Statists don't recognize that individual states can make their own laws so this point is lost on them.

Actually I think they are worried that they cannot get the extremist parts of their agenda through the legislative process.  That’s why they’re losing their minds over the supereme court.

polychronopolous

• Getbig V
« Reply #48 on: October 05, 2018, 08:11:32 PM »

No worries if it's about metrics...Amy Coney Barrett will get 70+ when Ginsburg kicks. Ginsburg to open my 2019 dead pool.

http://www.scotusblog.com/2018/07/potential-nominee-profile-amy-coney-barrett/

The last interview I seen of her, she was slouched over with drool hanging out of her mouth.

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #49 on: October 05, 2018, 08:43:48 PM »
Third trimester abortions, partial birth abortion, parental notification of minors, eugenics, etc.

Thanks for the response. The possibilities etcetera allows is too broad for me to comment on. The other reasons you've mentioned, depend on additional circumstances.

Both my sisters were adopted at birth because their birth mothers decided they'd have the possibility of a better life. They enriched my parents lives and mine. I'm glad my parents were able to adopt them and that their birth mothers didn't abort their pregnancies. When it is at all feasible, abortion should not be an option. This is my personal opinion, which is not influenced by any religious beliefs.

Unfortunately, abortion laws are sometimes convoluted to suit specific agendas. Unfortunately, some people make bad decisions with regard to abortion.